• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 17th April - 3 PM UK/10 AM EST

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
post-4032-0-14137900-1362448955.gif

They already confirmed that nothing (pertaining to those two games) will be shown until E3.

No, they confirmed that the two titles will be available in playable form at E3. They said nothing about potentially showing off Mario Kart U & 3D Mario U before E3.

"[As for Super Smash Bros. Wii U] Mr. Sakurai, who is leading the development efforts, told us, we set the timing to reveal the first game screens [trailer in the Japanese version of the ND] of the new Smash Brothers at this year's E3. Game development is on track. I would like to ask you to wait for just a little longer. Now, I'd like to talk about some Nintendo titles, about which we haven't made any previous announcements.

Our EAD Tokyo team, which created the Mario Galaxy series for Wii, and Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS, is working on New 3D Mario Action Game for Wii U. And we are also working on Mario Kart for Wii U, a series that has seen one installment for each hardware system we've released. We are planning to show these titles in playable form at E3. Please wait to see how these experiences have evolved on Wii U."

Darryl

Banned
this whole Year of the Luigi is probably just a smokescreen for Nintendo having no 3D Mario ready for the holiday. most of their other games are ported from the Wii, they probably did the same shit with Galaxy but realized they couldn't make a third, so we'll get Luigi Galaxy U :(

this whole Year of the Luigi is probably just a smokescreen for Nintendo having no 3D Mario ready for the holiday. most of their other games are ported from the Wii engine, they probably did the same shit with Galaxy but realized they couldn't make a third, so we'll get Luigi Galaxy U :(

How on Earth did you get to that conspiracy theory?

Maybe Nintendo just likes Luigi. :p

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I really really REALLY hope that Mario WiiU will be a revisit of the initial plans for Super Mario 64 2 that would have had Mario and Luigi co-op (first for a 3D mario).

Imagine a player using Mario on the HDTV while another player uses Luigi on the Gamerpad. Year of Luigi indeed.

DaBoss

this whole Year of the Luigi is probably just a smokescreen for Nintendo having no 3D Mario ready for the holiday. most of their other games are ported from the Wii, they probably did the same shit with Galaxy but realized they couldn't make a third, so we'll get Luigi Galaxy U :(

Or you know, they just happen to have many games featuring Luigi in a prominent role this year. :p

When will Cheese make the Direct thread?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

:lol

Really though?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Since Game & Wario already came out in Japan, I think they might be on a slightly different calendar for first party titles- I bet we see a W101 Japanese release date or something relatively minor.

I mean, announce as in title reveal and first shots of gameplay / trailer.

I know, I'm being a smartass.

Honestly though, NSMB2 (along with many, many other games) was announced during a Direct, the 3DS XL was announced during a Direct, major collaborations with third parties like Namco and Atlus were announced during Directs, and the Miiverse (a key part of the Wii U) was announced during a Direct, so I don't think it's too big of a leap to picture anything outside of a brand new system being announced during one of these things.

The only question is do they show Mario, et al., now to boost confidence in the struggling Wii U, or do they save it all for E3 as part of a major blowout? Since we already know these games exist, some of the surprise factor pointing to an E3 unveiling is diminished...

Yawnier

Banned
If there's no Japanese component, it makes new games unlikely, and conversely makes announcements of localizations of currently Japan-only games much more likely.

I strongly think they will talk about fire emblem dlc and the discount sales of guild01 , and then shows off new stuffs for upcoming titles.

We will most probably see some localization news too

Thanks for replies, in this case I somewhat know what to expect now.

Darryl

Banned
How on Earth did you get to that conspiracy theory?

Maybe Nintendo just likes Luigi. :p

it's in line with other clever marketing shit nintendo pulls off. they've got an ambitious line-up in production. i wouldn't be surprised if they thought they'd have a hard time creating a new 3D Mario and needed a shortcut. we've really not seen much 'year of the luigi' yet outside of Luigi's Mansion. the moment they started this stuff i've had a hunch that they weren't telling us it all and that they were planning something else.

:p

edit: besides, we all know that they're gonna have a 3D Mario out this year. releasing a major mario title during the year of the luigi? blah

Triton55

What if they show the first images of Smash Bros, 3D Mario U, and Mario Kart, but they're all just showing the new Luigi models.

1. I expect the Western Nintendo Direct to replace the Wii U content in the Japanese Nintendo Direct....with announcements about 3DS localizations. It may very well be a longer ND.

2. I'm looking at Bravely Default and Fantasy Life as the two localizations to be announced, among others.

3. For the Japanese Nintendo Direct, I expect new info on 3DS / Wii U Luigi-focused product roadmap, like Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario Golf: World Tour, New Super Luigi U, and something new to surprise us (some new info / screens? of 3D Mario / Mario Kart U perhaps).

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
it's in line with other clever marketing shit nintendo pulls off. they've got an ambitious line-up in production. i wouldn't be surprised if they thought they'd have a hard time creating a new 3D Mario and needed a shortcut. we've really not seen much 'year of the luigi' yet outside of Luigi's Mansion. the moment they started this stuff i've had a hunch that they weren't telling us it all and that they were planning something else.

:p

?????

We have Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Luigi U, and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (takes place in Luigi's dreams) all coming this year. That's a large amount of content just for one character, especially considering he will be heavily featured in Mario Golf 3DS, Mario Kart U, Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU, etc.

Darryl

Banned
?????

We have Luigi's Mansion 2, New Super Luigi U, and Mario and Luigi: Dream Team (takes place in Luigi's dreams) all coming this year. That's a large amount of content just for one character, especially considering he will be heavily featured in Mario Golf 3DS, Mario Kart U, Smash Bros 3DS/WiiU, etc.

well i wasn't aware that it took place in his dreams. that pushes it a bit more into making sense. either way, i still think it's possible for a Luigi title based on Mario Galaxy to come out as the mainline 3D Mario this year. i hope for otherwise, because that'd really disappoint me. i might regret my Wii U purchase if they did.

Drago

My hopes and dreams for tomorrow (NoA)

Animal Crossing XL in NA
Bravely Default
Dragon Quest VII (spinoffs would be nice)
Fantasy Life
Layton vs Ace Attorney
Guild 02
Wario Land 3
Oracle games
New Luigi 3DS game
News about Super Luigi U and WiiU update/VC (Earthbound)

I won't be able to watch it live as is always the case, but I'm gonna try to keep up the best I can. Please don't disappoint, NoA :(

Tagg9

No, they confirmed that the two titles will be available in playable form at E3. They said nothing about potentially showing off Mario Kart U & 3D Mario U before E3.

Exactly. And to me, that implies that we won't see them again until E3. Otherwise, they would say "Look forward to more information on these titles soon".

trinest

I'm hoping its a "Link is also Green" day then. We don't need more Mario. Unless its going over what was announced last time, but even then its not much.

(I'm thinking the Western ones could be a generic direct while 3DS? With the Japanese one been much shorter?).

Hsieh

They should add that Ingo will be in the new 3DS Zelda if it's announced, since he's basically Luigi in the Zelda universe.

Ingo appeared in Oracle of Seasons. If they announce the Oracle games for the west, they could include that as part of the Year of Luigi.

Top Bottom