• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Amiibo Look a Bit Different in Final Production vs. Advertised

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Generic legalese mumbo jumbo does not make them any less misleading. Best I can tell most figure, non-cheapo toy companies use real models in their shots not "prototypes".

No, no, no. They pretty much all use hand-painted prototypes.

Here's one from Hasbro, a "non-cheapo toy company":

T7vJvWX.jpg

That's their Transformers Classics Ultra Magnus from a few years back. On the left is Hasbro's stock image--the one shown on the back of the box. The right is the final retail figure--the one actually in the box.

Note the prototype's detailed shading to bring out the molded detail (especially around the shoulders). Note the extra paint applications on the thighs, crotch, arms, and head. Note the gun that's a completely different color.

Toys almost never look exactly like their promotional shots. Budgets can frequently change between the initial prototype stage and the finished product resulting in less paint, lower detail, dulled edges, even fewer points of articulation.

That's just how the toy biz works...the hand-painted prototypes always look better. Think of it like the ample bullshots we see for games.

Magnus

Isn't this par for the course for figures under $50?

I've always hated how they all differed slightly when I compared 3 or 4 copies of the same figure on a toy store shelf.

Gets even worse with happy meal toys and shit. They all had slight imperfections.

TDLink

I don't understand why they insisted on using the poses from the official art if they needed this many bizarrely coloured plastic supports. I mean I get it - they're supposed to be the Smash in-game trophies come to life.

I kind of agree. They should have put them all in poses that didn't require the supports. Stuff like Samus' or Marth's work pretty well. Link and Fox less so. I'm scared for Captain Falcon now.

Yeah, after seeing these it made me cancel all of my preorders. I expected a quality dip, but this is father of a dip then I expected. There is no way I'm paying $13 for that. I could buy a pack of Heroclix for that much and get five Clix that all have better models then that.

vids

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing what we're getting for $13 I would gladly spend $20 for the prototype versions of some of these. I wonder how much of this is due to time constraint for a quick production run rather than reducing production cost.

Neo Child

Banned
probably 3 pages too late but this has actually been known to happen for most products

drdfh6O.jpg

i realise this is different though as instead of food its a childrens toy.

MG310

Looks like the gold details on Peaches dress went from recessed to just painted on between prototype and production.

Other than that seems like normal promo shot to mass production version differences. Seem to be about on par with the Disney Infinity figures at least.

The yellow pole on link is garish. I hate that so much. Should have just made it clear...or do something with them. Like, do they have to be a pole? Couldn't they have say a rock behind DK or someball or something by WFT's leg?

Wereroku

You can see that it's not bend down, so gravity doesn't affect it. Seems quite straight to me, you can see the shape despite the filter.

Dude they will eventually all bend like that. It's the plastic being used. I am not shitting on Nintendo here it's the truth of all mass produced toys. But like others were saying they had to make them softer to avoid injuries to small kids. I need to look up more toy prototypes do they always work from higher quality sculpts like this?

HardRojo

What's curious to me is the fact that apparently the figures that came with Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver look better than the Amiibos, not to mention they were free if you preordered.
These are mine:

Edit: Probably not a whole lot better but they're up there.

I still have hope for the Samus Amiibo. If it can replace the garbage figma I own, that would be nice.

Rosalina's is no longer on my waiting list.

Mario, Pikachu, Yoshi, Kirby and wiifit trainer look practically identical, if they don't look the same is becuase of one is done with professional lighting and photo equipment and the other with a shitty phone camera in a bad lit room.
Link and marth looked like shit on the originals, and still look bad.

Peach is sadly the only downgrade I see here, and I say sadly because she looked really good in the original and her face is somewhat strange in this one.

At the end of the day is going to the amiibo aisle, and look every figure to see which has the better paintjob, just like I did with Disney infinity ones.

Every toy that is not a collectional 50 dollars plus figure doesnt look like the promotional shots, and sometimes not even that.

What's curious to me is the fact that apparently the figures that came with Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver look better than the Amiibos, not to mention they were free if you preordered.
These are mine:
Ya those are a special figure...uh I forgot what the series is called in Japan. They're really detailed and they only brought a handful of them over here (and if I'm not mistaken, they used them in the Trading Figure Game too.

Harmen

That Marth is ugly as hell. Peach a bit weird, I dunno. As for Yoshi I am a bit bothered by the way his joints show. And Link has an ugly standard.

Mario, Kirby and Pikachu look fine to me.

I am a bit dissapointed in the effort to be honest. Maybe it is because of the difficulty to make certain characters or something (I have no knowledge on this end), but I think the Disney Infinity and Skylanders stuff looks a lot better (qualitywise, not necessarily artdirection).

Edit: Wow, are people really suggesting that the less refined parts of the figurines are due to bad photography/lightning?

Mobius1

These are mine:

Yeah they stunk to high heaven though.

Wereroku

After seeing what we're getting for $13 I would gladly spend $20 for the prototype versions of some of these. I wonder how much of this is due to time constraint for a quick production run rather than reducing production cost.

The prototype versions would be a lot more than $20.

Taker666

KQjADO7.png

In before the "Link really needed to pee!" meme.

I really don't know why they didn't keep it clear, same with the Fox one. Bizarre choice to add colour. They should never have been designed in a way that they needed those extra bits of plastic in the first place.

I'm hoping Windwaker Link will have his feet firmly on the ground when released (hopefully that will work with Hyrule Warriors as well).

Seriously, holy shit. These are 15 dollar toys. There are a lot of other things to get outraged about that rank higher than this.
I know this is the internet and people like to exaggerate, but please try and tell the difference between outraged people and annoyed/disppointed ones.

The guy you quoted was quoting a guy who posted a joking picture of ice cream for fucks sake.

QaaQer

probably 3 pages too late but this has actually been known to happen for most products

drdfh6O.jpg

i realise this is different though as instead of food its a childrens toy.

The explanatiion is that, if they searched through millionss of burgers bought at retail, they would find one that looked like that. It is similar to when a cereal company will hire someone to find a bunch of perfect Corn Flakes. In short, they aren't using different ingredients when building the food for a picture. & there are actual laws regulating food advertising images.

As an aside, it bugs me when people pick on McDonalds because it is the only place I'm 100% sure of eating wherever I am in the world (well, except in China where the suppliers are corrupt, I hate eating there period).

McD uses real food, like 100% beef patties with nothing else except salt and pepper, tomatoes, ketchup, etc. It is a great, safe place to eat when you cannot cook yourself.

bumpkin

As others have said, the E3 prototypes were shown with fine print that said they were prototypes and the final product might vary. After going through all of the photos, I really don't see a difference so dramatic that I'm going to go and cancel my pre-orders. They're $10 figures (after the Best Buy GCU discount) of characters I know and love that are of a decent quality. The contrast of the final product quality versus the renders are no more or less dramatic than Skylanders or Disney Infinity.

...but, I do concur on the comments that some of the stands for airborne characters are hideous; Link's is awful.

Marow

Kirby's misaligned eyes are bothering me a lot. Hopefully we just got shown a poorly made figure. I was actually thinking of getting one.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
At least Pikachu still looks great.

I really don't know why they didn't keep it clear, same with the Fox one. Bizarre choice to add colour.

I have the feeling that colored plastics are actually cheaper to manufacture. Or at least cheaper to source, there's likely higher demand for clear plastics.

Exuro

At the very least I expected Kirby's face to be symmetrical and not off centered. Hopefully it's only a few that are like that.

Josephl64

I'm pretty disappointed since I really wanted Peach and Marth...I might get them, but I'll have to cancel my orders and see them in person before deciding how much I truly do desire them.

It's not like Link or Samus that have great looking figures if you want to shell out a little more anyways :/

The explanatiion is that, if they searched through millionss of burgers bought at retail, they would find one that looked like that. It is similar to when a cereal company will hire someone to find a bunch of perfect Corn Flakes. In short, they aren't using different ingredients when building the food for a picture. & there are actual laws regulating food advertising images.
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure McD (and other chains +other food companies) use different things to make their product images. Like I remember milk is usually portrayed with glue or other stuff.

Chindogg

Kirby's misaligned eyes are bothering me a lot. Hopefully we just got shown a poorly made figure. I was actually thinking of getting one.

Just go to the store and pick the one with the best paint job. Sometimes its best to just look and grab the one you like the most.

Who's ready for Luigi's massive plastic boner?

wtf is wrong with peach's face?

Well the only one I planned to get was marth, and he looks disgusting now, so money saved I guess.

Wereroku

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure McD (and other chains +other food companies) use different things to make their product images. Like I remember milk is usually portrayed with glue or other stuff.

Yep there is a whole documentary on this. The food used in ads are not edible. The have a bunch of tricks to make them look good.

QaaQer

The actual cereal is the cereal, however. They can't fudge the actual food they are selling.

edit: or at least they aren't supposed to. I'm sure there are companies and agencies who do, and don't care. But, big companies with a lot of hate directed towards them, like McD, kinda have to follow the rules.

If you can't tell by looking, I'd say focus on the gold detail. It's a recessed impression the prototype, but just painted on in the final.

Yeah, that seems to be the biggest difference (apart from the stand colors).

Other than that, I'm not going to judge the final product's quality from out of focus pics under bad lighting.

Top Bottom