• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo are banning hacked 3DS's from going online

From Kotaku

This week, 3DS hacking communities are clamoring over a so-called “ban wave” that permanently knocks systems offline.

On forums like GBA Temp, Reddit, and 4chan, there are dozens of pages where people are trying to figure out if their systems have been banned. According to online reports, users hit by the ban hammer are seeing an “Error Code: 002-0102" when they try to load up their friends list:

tgddpmhexm2a0lr4hgsq.jpg

While it’s difficult to pinpoint a commonality between all affected users, many admit to downloading custom firmware to the system. With custom firmware, users can alter their 3DSes, use emulators, dump game cartridges, and more. Others say they have pirated games for the 3DS, while some claim they didn’t do anything at all, but were banned anyway. (We cannot verify such claims.)

Can't say I'm not worried about getting hit with a false positive.

Lock out my 3DS if old.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nobody should be surprised by this. When you modify your hardware you do so willingly and you should know the risks.

Also, the more fuckwit cheaters they can keep off online games the better. I remember Tetris DS and Mario Kart DS not being a whole lot of fun once cheaters were running rampant.

hamchan

Oh well. Not too broken up if I'm banned. That's the risk we take by hacking our systems. It's always been like this.

Don't some of these hacks literally let you download any game on the eshop for free? Aka pirate them?

If that's true then it's surprising they haven't banned them sooner...

kami_sama

Last time I heard about them doing this was for pirated copies of Pokemon Sun and Moon going online before the release date.

This is a ban for any 3DS with CFW that went online in the past day or so.

I haven't connected mine in like 5 months, so I should be safe, right?

Mithos

Nobody should be surprised by this. When you modify your hardware you do so willingly and you should know the risks.

Also, the more fuckwit cheaters they can keep off online games the better. I remember Tetris DS and Mario Kart DS not being a whole lot of fun once cheaters were running rampant.

The sole reason Mario Kart DS was fun to play online was the knowledge that people would go WTF!!!! When Tick Tock Clock was randomly chosen as the track to play on (aka offline only tracks).

I haven't connected mine in like 5 months, so I should be safe, right?

you can check by going to the friends list. if you open the app and get the error code in OP you've been blocked from online play

Also this whole thing seems to be really random. I have a 3DS that I put CFW on ages ago and my system wasn't hit with a ban. Was literally just playing Smash an hour ago lol

This is why I havent hacked my 3DS, games are locked to the hardware if you cant go online you are fucked, Im still hoping for my virtual console games going to the Swtich

They're probably going to get around this eventually, but nice on Nintendo to keep trying.
If you have a spare squeaky clean 3ds then there is a way to unban, but if you do it now you will just get banned again. And you can only unban once pr spare 3ds.

My jp n3ds, which i only homebrewed for ntr streaming, isnt banned yet... BUT before work today i am buying a new 3ds xl and Pokemon Sun and putting all my Pokemon on there before i get hit since i have lotsa shit on bank man. I dont hack mons so in my specific case the $$ is worth it to preserve thousands of hours of grinding.

I would rather see an evidence based approach than just outright banning. Nintendo should have the resources to monitor hackers, give warnings and bans for repeat offenders. Some people don't hack multplayer.

Calm Mind

If you took the risk of breaking a platform holders T&C's, the consequences for doing so should come as no surprise.

charpunk

Honestly I'm shocked it took them this long with how long the 3ds scene has been going.

At least they went the Xbox 360 route and are just banning systems and not NNIDs. Can still access the eshop so at least your purchased content is not gone. Sucks because I modded mine to get around region locks without having to buy another 3ds. Not like I'll ever play anything online with it again.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I would rather see an evidence based approach than just outright banning. Nintendo should have the resources to monitor hackers, give warnings and bans for repeat offenders. Some people don't hack multplayer.

I don't think Nintendo would issue warnings for custom firmware. They don't want you doing anything on their hardware unless they allow it.

They don't even need to monitor for hacking. Hacked systems straight up just tell them they're hacked because CFW apps show up as the game you're playing just like any official game would.

Segnaro

Sony and Microsoft ban hacked consoles from online too.

The only difference is that Nintendo takes forever to react to hacks.

Erheller

Don't some of these hacks literally let you download any game on the eshop for free? Aka pirate them?

If that's true then it's surprising they haven't banned them sooner...

Eh, if they started banning people earlier, then people would have been more careful about going online and the scene would have put resources into making CFW less detectable. It seems like Nintendo wanted to catch as many CFW users as they could at once.

Also, they're blanket banning everyone with CFW, not just the users that pirated stuff. I don't think anyone really knows yet how Nintendo is distributing the bans (it seems like spot pass might be the culprit), but they're going after everyone with CFW, not just those with pirated stuff (which shouldn't be too hard to detect, just ban everyone who used a certain application).

Yep.

If you ever hack your console, prepare it so that it'll never have to go online after that.

Oh sweet, I can ban myself from online so Nintendo doesn't have to do it for me!

Kouriozan

Sony and Microsoft ban hacked consoles from online too.

The only difference is that Nintendo takes forever to react to hacks.

People got banned from playing Pokémon Sun/Moon with a pirated rom.
It's not like they can't but more they don't (didn't) want.

sirap

Just checked mine, not banned yet (maybe they're doing it in waves?)

Not that it matters, like others I own a few 3DS and the only one with CFW installed is my retro machine. Not much use for online there :p

HBP

Im banned but I don't care, I don't play online and don't cheat and I can still use the eSHOP so I am good.

Top Bottom