• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

Shauni

Every console plus PC. I mostly stick to PC and pick up the best console exclusives on sale. Nintendo doesn't do the sale thing, though.

Well then, what are you talking about? The PS3 and 360 had that price standard. Were you...unaware of that? I understand sticking to sales, but did you honestly not even know the standard price of console games...?

epmode

This is better than a sale

I suppose that's true.

I've been wanting to try the Wind Waker remake for the gameplay changes even though I prefer the flat shading of the original release. I couldn't justify paying $50 for it so I guess this is as good an excuse as any.

Instro

NA really getting shafted on the game choices. Guess I'll go with Pikmin since I don't want party and I already own the others. Cool deal.

Doctorhales92

Neo Member
I checked the price of Mario kart 7 on amazon. Lo and behold after 3 years it is still £30 ($50). I know this is the cost because of its value but as a handheld game it is just crazy to spend £30 on each game.
Pokemon Black and white are also £30, so are many other first party (or second party) games (the few worth buying). Ive had the same problem with the DS but this is a bit more annoying. Kills a console in your eyes

olimpia84

Such an awesome day for Mario Kart news, the game looks amazing and I'm laughing at the fools that said the Wii U was another PS360.
Win situation for me, I'm getting the game at 20% through Best Buy + 10% gas card + 2x rewards points + free game from the eShop :D
I just wish the selection for NA was a little bit better but I won't complain much since this is free :p

This is me.

C9m2yxz.png

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
How come EU get's so many more games.. suckage...

I own all 4 of those offered in the US. I mean free game is free game, but half the Euro list I don't own.

Dont know if I will get Monster Hunter or game and Wario.

Is Game and Wario any good? I loved older wario ware games, but this always seemed a little on the thin side of content.

prag16

Banned
Just sell your download code or trade it for a game you don't own. It will work on any Wii U that is of the same region as yours (Europe, America, or Australia/NZ)
I'm selling my Pikmin 3 disc and keeping the code. It's still almost full price new, so I think I'll get a decent price for it. It's another option.

So after the $12 off from GCU, the $10 prepaid card for preordering, the $5 gift certificate I have and the $20ish I'll get from selling my download code, MK8 will end up costing me $13ish dollars from Best Buy on launch day.

thisishowwedo.gif

Seeing as I have a basic I'm going to have to buy and format a hard drive for the Wii U to download Wind Waker aren't I?

That sort of defeats the point of a free game lol

Are any of them incredibly small files? like <500mb? Maybe Game & Wario?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wii Party U sells for $50 and includes a Wii Remote. Not sure how a digital code for just the game is comparable to NSMBU or Pikmin 3 which sell standalone for $60 or even Wind Waker HD which is $50.

I'm thinking I'll sell/trade my physical copy of Pikmin 3 towards the Wii Party U + Wiimote bundle and get Pikmin 3 from the promo.

I was really excited about the free game promo because I saw an uncaptioned pic on Twitter for the ten games but didn't know until watching the NA Direct that it's only for Europe. As always Reggie and NOA continue to treat their loyal customers like garbage. Good thing I don't own Pikmin 3 yet otherwise the promo would be completely worthless to me. And here I was at work earlier today all hyped thinking I'd be able to choose between Pikmin 3, MHU or Sonic as my top alternate picks, ugh.

Blues1990

Just sell your download code or trade it for a game you don't own. It will work on any Wii U that is of the same region as yours (Europe, America, or Australia/NZ)

Wait, you can actually do that? I thought (speaking as a Canadian) we are only offered Wii Party U, Pikmin 3, The Wind Waker HD, & NSMBU as our freebie?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I was really excited about the free game promo because I saw an uncaptioned pic on Twitter for the ten games but didn't know until watching the NA Direct that it's only for Europe. As always Reggie and NOA continue to treat their loyal customers like garbage. Good thing I don't own Pikmin 3 yet otherwise the promo would be completely worthless to me. And here I was at work earlier today all hyped thinking I'd be able to choose between Pikmin 3, MHU or Sonic as my top alternate picks, ugh.

Good thing Pikmin 3 is the best game out of the selection.

Yagharek

Great deal, but I either own all the games or am not that interested in the few that I dont (Sonic, Sonic Olympics, Wii Party).

People should get W101 though if they dont already have it.

Would be so much more tempting if I actually owned a Wii U, wanted MK8, and wanted any of those games.

You're a fool.

Caayn

This is real, as in it exists and it happening? Amazing, that's showing dedication towards your costumers.

Only problem is... Pikmin 3, W101 or New Super Mario Bros U though decision.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

How is that even remotely considered "garbage?" 4 games is plenty generous. You're only getting one either way, so it's not a big difference. If you already have those games, or don't have interest in them, then sell the code on CAG.

Bronetta

How is that even remotely considered "garbage?" 4 games is plenty generous. You're only getting one either way, so it's not a big difference. If you already have those games, or don't have interest in them, then sell the code on CAG.

I wouldn't exactly call 4 games generous seeing as the European promo has 10 games. Must be a third-party thing since the NA selection is only Nintendo games.

I could care less about Pikmin 3.
Foolish man!

joedick

Any idea why Nintendo is doing this?

The games being offered have lost sales momentum so they aren't really costing themselves potential sales, plus giving away digital costs them very little. They sell more consoles and Mario Karts and get their marketing data right away, we get a free game. Everybody's happy! Well, more people than usual on the internet, anyways.

Bronetta

The games being offered have lost sales momentum so they aren't really costing themselves potential sales, plus giving away digital costs them very little. They sell more consoles and Mario Karts and get their marketing data right away, we get a free game. Everybody's happy! Well, more people than usual on the internet, anyways.

On the other hand, people picking up Wii Us for MK8 (and there will be a lot of those... relatively speaking) might have bought those games to expand their collection.

Here I thought the FE:A + SMT4 = $30 eshop credit promo was amazing last year.

BowieZ

Banned
On the other hand, people picking up Wii Us for MK8 (and there will be a lot of those... relatively speaking) might have bought those games to expand their collection.

Here I thought the FE:A + SMT4 = $30 eshop credit promo was amazing last year.
But, simply, at this point, they need to sell systems, not games. There is so much inventory that needs clearing.

On the other hand, people picking up Wii Us for MK8 (and there will be a lot of those... relatively speaking) might have bought those games to expand their collection. .

I've bolded the portions that tell us why this doesn't give any meaningful pause as to the validity of this strategy.

If you buy the game at retail or on the eShop, and register it on Club Nintendo, you can get a free game from the eShop! Bundle and LE copies included! Both Europe and NA confirmed too!

Games for Europe :

Games for NA :

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U

are those the only games for na I actually own all of those already.. :( an E-shop card would be sweet,,,

Top Bottom