• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

SmokyDave

I'm almost certain it's eligible. You just need to register the game, so that'll apply to the bundled copy too. It's likely that's why they're doing this - pick up an MK8 bundle and you're getting an extra free game with it of your choice.
Yeah, that's what I reckon too. I'll keep an eye out for official clarification.

Awesome deal. The only NA game I don't have is Wii Party though. Maybe I'll get a digital copy of Pikmin 3 or New Super Mario Bros. U for convenience sake. Though I'll have to see what mini-games Wii Party has. Might be fun with my family.

Zarovitch

For NA it's just those game?
Games for NA :

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U

I was getting Wondeful 101

Drago

Whoa!

Even if I'm more of a physical copy guy, I won't say no to a free digital copy of WWHD. Awesome deal!

yesrushdt

Glad I held off on picking up Wind Waker HD. Very cool that I'll be able to get it for free with MK8. MK8 and this promotion will certainly be a system seller.

Wait, register. So you mean you could buy a download code from GAME and still be eligible (provided they don't do another Pikmin 3 and send them out early...*).

*-This was meant to get 30% Wonderful 101 (which I think was still worse than buying a code from GAME) but people who registered before release technically did it outside of the eligible window...basically registering MK8 before May 30th is a bad idea.

The only way a hardware bundle would not be elligible is if it came with a special Club Nintendo slip. For instance the Pokemon Colosseum Mega Pak (the only non-Club Nintendo way to get a European copy of Pokemon Box) came with a slip worth more stars that covered the Gamecube and the game. I can't imagine in this situation they would want to do that.

Not until I see an account system. I'll gladly pay extra for security.
You could always give away the digital copy since you get it completely free for registration of a physical copy.

Scandinavia weeps since we're not able to register our Nintendo products. I guess those who buy the digital version get one here as well, though.
Only if you buy from an NNID whose country has Club Nintendo and you make a Club Nintendo link. Or a physical copy from a country with Club Nintendo and just register the slip...
This would work via NNiD and not via Club Nintendo i would guess.
Sounds like it uses Club Nintendo still given the word register. I would guess from the Investors meeting that Iwata wants to move away from that into a more personalised front but these things take time...

ngower

According to the MK8 NA Direct, if you buy the Mario Kart 8 Wii U Bundle, it will qualify for the free digital game offer. However, the Wii U bundle will cost $329.99. It comes with the deluxe system, MK8 disc, a red Wii wheel accessory, and a Mario Wii Remote Plus controller.

I'm watching the Direct right now, but I haven't heard anything the bundle yet so I'm glad to see this! I'd need the Wii Remote Plus, so that's actually a very solid deal for me. Looks like I'm finally in Wii U-gaf!

Uk terms and conditions from the official page.It's for retail copies too, you have to enter the normal stars pin onto the club nintendo website, get download code (up to) 2 days later
Terms & Conditions
If you are under 18, please read these Terms and Conditions together with your parent or legal guardian.

To participate in the promotion, you have to be a resident of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Portugal, Switzerland, South Africa, or Russia.
You must have registered the Club Nintendo PIN code for the game Mario Kart 8 for Wii U in Club Nintendo at www.club-nintendo.com between May 30th 2014, 10:00 (UK time) and July 31st 2014, 23:59 (UK time).

You can find the Club Nintendo PIN code:
Inside the packaging of Mario Kart 8 software (including software which is part of the Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack – Special Edition Wii U hardware bundle);
On-screen on Wii U:
After purchasing the downloadable version of Mario Kart 8 from Nintendo eShop, or;
After the redemption of a download code for the downloadable version of Mario Kart 8.
Also in the receipt within “Menu”, then “Account Activity” in Nintendo eShop on the Wii U console, after downloading software from Nintendo eShop.
After you have registered the Club Nintendo PIN Code in your Club Nintendo account, log in to Club Nintendo 48 hours later and click the Mario Kart 8 Bonus Game Promotion banner to proceed. You will be given an opportunity to request a free download code for one of the eligible games for Wii U. The eligible games are:
Nintendo Land
New Super Mario Bros. U
Game & Wario
Pikmin 3
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
Sonic Lost World (Wii U version)
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
Wii Party U
The Wonderful 101 (PEGI 12)*
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U version; PEGI 12)*
*Members of Club Nintendo who are below the age of 12 will not be able to request a download code for games rated 12 and above.
The request of a download code must be completed by August 31st 2014, 23:59 (UK time). The download code will be sent to you via email to the email address registered in your Club Nintendo account within 48 hours. The download code will also be available after login in the “My Account” section of the Club Nintendo website, 48 hours after completing the request for a download code.

The download code can be used to download the chosen game from Nintendo eShop to any Wii U console*. The download code expires on September 30th 2014, 22:59 (UK time).

*Depending on the Wii U hardware pack you own and your use of it, an additional storage device may be required to download software from Nintendo eShop.
Registration in Club Nintendo is required. Club Nintendo Terms and Conditions apply. For the use of Nintendo eShop the acceptance of the Nintendo Network Agreement and Privacy Policy is required.
Each member of Club Nintendo can participate in this promotion only once. Product registrations for participation in this promotion can be combined with the Super Mario Kart Promotion, but cannot be combined with other promotions.
This promotion is organised by Nintendo of Europe GmbH, Nintendo Center, 63760 Grossostheim.

Moff

great offer, I get tempted more and more to finally buy a Wiiu, with mario kart and a free pikmin 3

blazeuk

Glad the offer works on retail copies too, if they had made it digital only I probably would have gone with missing out on the free game. Not sure whether to get Monster Hunter or NSMBU, those 2 and the Sochi game are the only ones I don't own and I'm not interested in the Sochi Olympics one.

Oh wow, that is a good deal. Have only bought a Wii U two weeks ago, so have still be eyeing new games. Getting two in one go would be nice.

dock

It's great that this is for physical editions too.
I love how aggressive Nintendo is with digital codes on 3DS, hopefully this is the start of a similar policy with the Wii U.

Tempted to bite on Pikmin 3.

maxcriden

I have all of the games available in NA and wasn't planning to get MK8 but this is a great deal for those it helps out. I guess I could just buy the MK8 CN code online and get a free game, though, right?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Assuming this will only work once per system? Otherwise wouldn't it be possible to buy multiple copies, use the code to get the eShop title, and then immediately return the game (or, more likely, exchange it for less than you paid for it)?

thefro

For NA it's just those game?
Games for NA :

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U

I was getting Wondeful 101

W101 is the cheapest at retail out of all those. Everything else is still $40/$50

As I mentioned in the MK8 Direct thread, Wii U Sold

Refurb Wii U from Nintendo + MK 8 from Best Buy = Wii U Deluxe, Nintendoland, MK8, Pikmin 3 for $260 (and $10 gas card)

Danneee

Awesome. Just cancelled my order for the LE to buy it from TGC and get a Club Code so I can register it. Which game to choose though...

Peff

Assuming this will only work once per system? Otherwise wouldn't it be possible to buy multiple copies, use the code to get the eShop title, and then immediately return the game (or, more likely, exchange it for less than you paid for it)?

In Europe you could do that, just with different accounts. If it works like the 3DS promotion last year you could register three games with three different accounts and receive three codes that aren't tied to anything other than the machine you use them on.

Wichu

OK, this is really tempting. I do want that Wind Waker (I already have Pikmin and TW101).

EDIT: Hang on, retail as well? Then yeah, I'm definitely in.

I have all of the games available in NA and wasn't planning to get MK8 but this is a great deal for those it helps out. I guess I could just buy the MK8 CN code online and get a free game, though, right?

Yup. The promotion works for digital and retail. Just gotta register the MK8 Club Nintendo code during the time allotted and you'll get a free digital download game between the 4 mentioned.

WhyMe6

Wow, this is a really brilliant deal. I'll definitely be taking advantage of it...I'll either pick up Wind Waker or Pikmin 3. Damn, Nintendo, this is great.

If you enjoy action games, and you're in EU, definitely nab The Wonderful 101 if you haven't got it yet. I've finally gotten around to starting it and...damn Kamiya, you did a fine job.

komplanen

So does anyone have experience on how this would work in Finland and other countries that don't have Club Nintendo to register codes on?

Skelter

Banned
Wow I have everything minus Wii Party U. I would gladly have taken Game and Wario but nope. Maybe I can sell it.

cacildo

Good question.

The "retail too" part of the deal opens it up for this kind of mess.....

That's actually a pretty nice offer, I was actually kind of tempted for a bit.. until I realized the Club Nintendo part. Fuck that as Nintendo still continues to ignore my country and many other countries in that regard.

Top Bottom