• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

Fandangox

NA here, I will get New Super Mario Bros U I guess since I don't particularly want Wii Party U and I already have the other 2.

cacildo

Just curious, will the free game we get from Nintendo here also go towards our digital deluxe cashback?

Considering even free VC games from Club Nintendo get you points on ddp..... I think its possible!

Edit: this is the best promotion ive ever seen Nintendo doing....

lewisgone

Hyped to finally get a chance to play NSMBU. I loved Luigi U, but just couldn't justify paying £30 for a similar but longer game. What an awesome deal.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Okay. I'd get Game & Wario.

Yeah, me too!
I already own all those games, except Game&Wario and Mario&Sonic, and I think I'll opt for the first one.
It's great that they are extending the promo also to retail version, linking it to the registration and not to the download (like they did for the W101 discount buying Pikmin3)

emb

I don't know what to get. Looks like NA has less options. I already have the games from that list that I want, but it could be convenient to have one downloaded for easy access. Can an eShop copy of a game (say, Pikmin or Mario) share the same save file as my retail copy? (Guessing the answer is a big no, because Nintendo.)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I was gonna go digital anyway with the SMK discount.

I already own most of these games though, so I have to chose from G&W, Sonic, Mario and Sonic at the OL and Wii Party U

Any recommendations? :p

edit: oh, it's a club nintendo thing. Thanks once again for the assfuck non-existing Nintendo of Scandinavia (Bergsala).

Lexxism

Lmao. Looks like I don't have any excuses to get the W101. Or maybe I should get NSMBU? :p

edit: LOL. Only 4 games in NA? Wtf?

SuperHans

Awesome was meaning to pick up Wind Waker HD now I get it for nothing.
Panic mode Nintendo is best Nintendo. They have been great value this gen with the 3DS (ambassador games, free Super Mario Bro's Deluxe, free Super Mario 3D Land) and the Wii U (this promo and the digital deluxe promo). Probably forgetting some of the others too.

Alright, I think it may be time for me to jump in and get a Wii U. I'm in the UK but will be importing a US system.

What games are available as part of this offer for North America? Is Nintendoland available as a download option again?

Hip Hop

Insane deal. Got a Wii U recently and had meaning to pick up Windwaker HD. This is crazy. So glad they included retail.

The Japanese version of this is bizarre. No free game but you get to choose two games to try for a month. I guess I'll try to beat Pikmin and Wonderful 101 in a month then.

maxcriden

Yup. The promotion works for digital and retail. Just gotta register the MK8 Club Nintendo code during the time allotted and you'll get a free digital download game between the 4 mentioned.

Excellent, thank you. I'm sure there will be eBayers selling the code not knowing its value.

Assuming this will only work once per system? Otherwise wouldn't it be possible to buy multiple copies, use the code to get the eShop title, and then immediately return the game (or, more likely, exchange it for less than you paid for it)?
Once per Club Nintendo account. I assume the code is not linked to any particular system (for the 3DS so many games promo last year they made the suggesting of giving the earned digital copy to a friend).

Returns are only if the disc is non-working for most store policies. Trade ins could work but multiple Club Nintendo accounts comes off as wrong for me. As for how much cheaper this is:

A quick example for the UK. CeX give £25 cash or £28 credit for DKCR: TF. If you get MK8 for £40 and it trades for the same you get the download games in question for £12-£15 for £35 it is £7-£10. Many of the promo games I have seen for around £20 for physical new so not a bad saving actually. It should be noted CeX are terrible in giving out cash (they can debit you now though) and can refuse games if they have too many in stock and generally don't like time multiple copies of the same game in a single transaction (also having lots of unsold stock cripples the trade-in price as they don't need your copy as much).

So does anyone have experience on how this would work in Finland and other countries that don't have Club Nintendo to register codes on?
You make a Club Nintendo account in a country with one. If you game does not come with a slip it won't work. If you import the game from a country with Club Nintendo it will come with a slip (if it does not contact that countries customer support with proof of purchase). In the case of digital versions you have to link the Club Nintendo account to an NNID. That NNID then owns the game (but all NNID on the system can play it).

kubus

This is a really cool deal! Glad I haven't picked up Game & Wario yet, it's the only game I don't already own, lol.

Zeeman

Oh wow, I wasn't going to preorder before but if I get Pikmin 3 with it as well, that's a great deal. Now if I can just find a Canadian retailer that isn't overcharging for it...

I guess i'm finally getting Pikmin 3. Now, i just need a cheap solution for memory since I have an 8 gig Wii U. Anyone know of a cheap memory option?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So let me get this straight...I have the game preordered/paid off at Gamestop.

I just have to enter the Club Nintendo code inside and I'm good for a free game?

If so I think I'll be going with Pikmin 3.

Storm360

Considering even free VC games from Club Nintendo get you points on ddp..... I think its possible!

Edit: this is the best promotion ive ever seen Nintendo doing....

Ah, we don't get the free Club Nintendo VC games here, but £35 for Mario Kart 8 and WWHD is fine by me anyways even if it doesn't come with the reward.

So let me get this straight...I have the game preordered/paid off at Gamestop.

I just have to enter the Club Nintendo code inside and I'm good for a free game?

If so I think I'll be going with Pikmin 3.

Yup. Just register the MK8 CN code between May 30th and July 31st and boom, free game from the list.

Top Bottom