• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

Ok, called Nintendo and they said I should go back to the retailer as apparently they have a few spare cards. although it's Kmart and they are fairly useless. She checked the code and said it had indeed been registered, so not a hiccup in their system.

Guess I'll try Kmart again tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone has a code for trade, please let me know.

Are you sure that the code wasn't registered to your system but the download borked? This has happened to me more than once. Just to be on the safe side I suggest you go into the eShop, click the Mii in the top left corner [Menu} and then scroll down to 'Your Downloads' and then 'Titles You've Downloaded'. If it registered to your system but didn't download then it will be listed here so all will be well as it's tied to your account. It will give you the option to download it there too.

Sorry if this is all irrelevant but thought I'd mention it just in case. Good luck! :)

xyrgh

Neo Member
Are you sure that the code wasn't registered to your system but the download borked? This has happened to me more than once. Just to be on the safe side I suggest you go into the eShop, click the Mii in the top left corner [Menu} and then scroll down to 'Your Downloads' and then 'Titles You've Downloaded'. If it registered to your system but didn't download then it will be listed here so all will be well as it's tied to your account. It will give you the option to download it there too.

Sorry if this is all irrelevant but thought I'd mention it just in case. Good luck! :)

It's the actual 'pin' on the card you get with the game that you enter on the Club Nintendo site that's been used. All I can assume is that someone has written it down or something whilst in the shop (assuming an employee) and then used it, but not actually taking the physical card.

I'm going to go back today and see if the store can fix this up.

Got Super Mahrio because I bought Pikmin/Wind Waker before I heard about the promo lol.

Out of curiosity, to those who recently downloaded, are you still getting the $5 bonus in the deluxe digital promo? I just now registered but I think it takes a day for it to show up...I need that extra dosh for shovel knight

eggwolio

Got Super Mahrio because I bought Pikmin/Wind Waker before I heard about the promo lol.

Out of curiosity, to those who recently downloaded, are you still getting the $5 bonus in the deluxe digital promo? I just now registered but I think it takes a day for it to show up...I need that extra dosh for shovel knight

Yes, you do.

Also, to anyone getting multiple free games, don't register one digital and one physical copy on the same account.

Also, to anyone getting multiple free games, don't register one digital and one physical copy on the same account.
Why do you say this? Please elaborate and don't let us hanging.

As I understand it, Club Nintendo recognizes the digital and download versions of a game as two different products with their own coins to give.

I'm guessing they mean physical+digital Mario Kart which will not get you 2 entries into the promo (as the account has already entered the promo and an account can only enter once).

It's the actual 'pin' on the card you get with the game that you enter on the Club Nintendo site that's been used. All I can assume is that someone has written it down or something whilst in the shop (assuming an employee) and then used it, but not actually taking the physical card.
Wait, there is nothing covering the code in America?

You see here in Europe they uses to have the codes visible on the slip but codes being used happened too much so the codes were covered in foil. They used to also have this tear off strip if scratching off the foil with a coin was too difficult but the problem was the strip was badly designed and you usually ripped the paper as well as the foil making the pin unreadable.

L~A

As I understand it, Club Nintendo recognizes the digital and download versions of a game as two different products with their own coins to give.

As Starworlf said, one Club Nintendo account can only enter the promotion once... doesn't matter if you manage to register 12 copies of Mario Kart 8. So the digital/physical trick won't work.

I'm guessing they mean physical+digital Mario Kart which will not get you 2 entries into the promo (as the account has already entered the promo and an account can only enter once).

As Starworlf said, one Club Nintendo account can only enter the promotion once... doesn't matter if you manage to register 12 copies of Mario Kart 8. So the digital/physical trick won't work.

Oh, that makes much more sense. eggwolio didn't mention MK8 in his post, I thought he was talking about any game. Thanks for clarifying!
I'm pretty sure I read on Nintendo's own FAQ that registering MK8 on a family account DOES get you another free game. Is that right? That's what people who manage to get another code should do, I guess.

Min0

I got Game and Wario because I already had all the other games in the promotion (except for MH3U, but I wanted that retail).
I'm glad they did this, I wouldn't have played the game otherwise. It is pretty fun in multyplayer.

walnuts

I got Wind Waker HD. Great game, never played the original before.

Do you guys think Nintendo will make a similar promotion with Super Smash Bros Wii U? If so, I hope they promote even more games.

L~A

Oh, that makes much more sense. eggwolio didn't mention MK8 in his post, I thought he was talking about any game. Thanks for clarifying!
I'm pretty sure I read on Nintendo's own FAQ that registering MK8 on a family account DOES get you another free game. Is that right? That's what people who manage to get another code should do, I guess.

Isn't the family account just for the US, though?

Gagaman

I only ever played Pikmin 1 for a short while and wasn't super motivated to play it. Is Pikmin 3 worth me trying out anyway despite that? I also want Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario but I think I'd rather get those retail. I wish there was a demo for it.

eggwolio

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

You can register multiple copies from different members on the family account, however it doesn't appear that you can get two free games on one account, even if one is digital and the other is physical. I'll be emailing Nintendo to see if there's anything I can do.

GRaider81

Just the wiiu mario kart bundle. Not sure which game to get between mario brothers and WW.

I never played WW so leaning towards that

Rocky

Banned
I registered my Mario Kart 8 yesterday on CN because I had already been Platinum status. I got Pikmin as my free game and have downloaded it. I thought the free game qualified for the Deluxe Digital Promotion program. I logged onto my DDP account this morning and my Pikmin 2 purchase hasn't shown up yet. Does it normally take a long time before it shows up?

JoeM86

I registered my Mario Kart 8 yesterday on CN because I had already been Platinum status. I got Pikmin as my free game and have downloaded it. I thought the free game qualified for the Deluxe Digital Promotion program. I logged onto my DDP account this morning and my Pikmin 2 purchase hasn't shown up yet. Does it normally take a long time before it shows up?
Usually takes around 24 hours

baconcow

I only ever played Pikmin 1 for a short while and wasn't super motivated to play it. Is Pikmin 3 worth me trying out anyway despite that? I also want Wonderful 101 and Game & Wario but I think I'd rather get those retail. I wish there was a demo for it.

I enjoyed Pikmin 3 better than 1 & 2. If you get the ~$9 DLC items, there is a large amount of great coop content.

I'm going to go back today and see if the store can fix this up.

Oh. I'm sorry I misunderstood the issue. That's really shitty :(. I have no good suggestion as to how to proceed but I'll keep all my fingers crossed for you :).

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I only ever played Pikmin 1 for a short while and wasn't super motivated to play it. Is Pikmin 3 worth me trying out anyway despite that?
I played Pikmin 1 on GameCube briefly about 10 years ago, and couldn't really get into it. But I'm really, really liking Pikmin 3.

void666

Banned
Hey all, I am planning to buy a MK8 Wii U bundle kinda soon. I am in Europe and I want to ask the following... In order to be eligible for the free game does the country of purchase matter or does it have to do with what kind of account I create (which country do I choose etc)?

Well, let me tell you about my little drama.
I bought the mario kart bundle, registered and linked accounts, both as usa but didn't receive my free game. Sent an email to their support. A week later they replied asking for proof that the bundle was purchased in the usa.

Honestly i don't have a receipt and i don't live in the usa. I know i'm not eligible to get the free game but still think it's pretty shitty nintendo is making all this trouble.

One of the reasons i got a mario kart bundle was the free game.
I'm so pissed i haven't used my wii u for over a week and i really regret buying it.

Anyway, i don't know how it works for you europeans but i wish you better luck.

zruben

Banned
another happy customer here.

Free Pikmin 3, along with Club Nintendo coins and points for the Digital Deluxe Promotion =)

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Can I do this with my MK8 copy before my Wii U arrives?
As long as your Wii U arrives by September 30th, yes. You don't need a Wii U to register MK8, but you do need one to redeem the download code they give you, and the download code expires September 30th. Assuming you've already ordered the Wii U, though, that shouldn't be a problem.

xyrgh

Neo Member

Wait, there is nothing covering the code in America?

You see here in Europe they uses to have the codes visible on the slip but codes being used happened too much so the codes were covered in foil. They used to also have this tear off strip if scratching off the foil with a coin was too difficult but the problem was the strip was badly designed and you usually ripped the paper as well as the foil making the pin unreadable.

This is in Australia, but yes, there is nothing covering the code. It's just a three fold little card with the code on the back.

Anyway, no luck at the store, ended up buying a code off UK ebay, activating it on a new UK account, then using the game download code on my Aus NNID. It worked so well I went and bought another three codes. Pikmin3, WWHD, W101, and NSMB all for AU$12-$18 each. Happy camper.

This is in Australia, but yes, there is nothing covering the code. It's just a three fold little card with the code on the back.

Anyway, no luck at the store, ended up buying a code off UK ebay, activating it on a new UK account, then using the game download code on my Aus NNID. It worked so well I went and bought another three codes. Pikmin3, WWHD, W101, and NSMB all for AU$12-$18 each. Happy camper.
Interesting. On the 3DS AUS download codes didn't work in EUR and vice-versa. Guess that doesn't apply to the Wii U.

freakzilla3000

As everyone has said this is one fantastic deal. I went with the Zelda (special edition from Gamestop as well) and Pikmin 3 combo (I traded in my physical copy of Pikmin 3).

Guys will this work if I buy Mario Kart 8 bundle? And what is this digital deluxe promo? Anything for EU or US only?

Yes, register MK8 with Club Nintendo, they'll let you choose your free game then give you a download code for it.

Wait, does the bundle come with a download code? If so, pair your Wii U ID with your Club Nintendo account before downloading MK8 just to be safe.

Regarding the digital deluxe promotion:

https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/

I'm not sure what regions, I'm in NA...

eggwolio

The bundle comes with a physical copy that has no code in it. I believe registering the bundle itself gives you the surveys for the game.

In regards to this, I actually didn't really do my research.

I pre-ordered a digital DL copy of Mario Kart 8 (From Game.uk) and couldn't register it to my Aus account :( (I didn't know that PAL REGION only applies to physical games according to Nintendo). So naturally I contact the supplier of the code and they gave me a 'too bad, contact Nintendo' answer.

I ended up just buying a digital copy from the Aus eShop. BUT I still have a digital code for the UK of Mario Kart 8, and I'm not sure what to do with it. I would love to sell it to someone cheap, just to get some money back :/

AndrewPL

Help me out, GAF. Mario & Sonic Sochi or Wii Party U? Been sitting on this offer for weeks by now being indecisive.

I'm the same. I have New Mario, Zelda, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin3. I was planning on getting Wii Party U and Game and Wario (bought 2 copies of Mario kart 8).

but now I'm thinking of just getting Wii Party U and trying to trade the other code for Skylanders swap force (there was a really cheap bundle in NZ/ Australia so shouldn't be to hard to find people who would rather have mario/ zelda or pikmin)

I'm not sure I'd play either Wii Party U or Game and Wario for more than 5mins...at least Wii U party could be a fun party/ board game for an evening.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Does the free game count as "digital purchase" for the deluxe promotion?

Also, it's my first (or rather, brother's) time getting a Wii U and haven't made an eShop purchase there. Should I use the free game code for that or should I use the Club Nintendo freebee (like say Paper Mario)?

Top Bottom