• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Mory Dunz

It is just a dumb move. Why double up on games in such a specific genre when the alternative is to expand your game library and bring in new customers who are not interested in kart racers? Wii U is lacking in several genres. There is no way Nintendo is going to put out another kart racer. No. Way.
Well they put several platformers.

TreIII

enhanced-buzz-28279-11vr83.jpg

It's MIPS' time to shine.

I don't know how well someone like Waluigi would fit in the Diddy Kong Racing world. They need to be animals. Or cute. Or, preferably, cute animals.

Having a few cute types is fine. But we also gotta have a few more tough-looking "bad asses" like Dillon or Krunch.

I wonder if Krunch would just get replaced by somebody more recognizable like K. Rool, at this point.

Oddduck

It is just a dumb move. Why double up on games in such a specific genre when the alternative is to expand your game library and bring in new customers who are not interested in kart racers? Wii U is lacking in several genres. There is no way Nintendo is going to put out another kart racer. No. Way.

I'm not saying DKR2 will happen. I doubt it will happen.

But let's not pretend that Nintendo hasn't released multiple cutesy racing games on consoles in the past.

Hatchtag

Banned

On one hand, Diddy Kong Racing is another kart racer. But Monster Game's racers have been so different from
and significantly better than
Mario Kart that it's hard to know what to expect.

Sponge

Banned
Since you guys liked my drawing so much, I finished it! I feel like an actual Diddy Kong Racing 2 would have some original characters on the roster. This is what I'd do if the game could only use preexisting characters.

412ec226815aac25ee9f535e111e38b1.jpg

Since you guys liked my drawing so much, I finished it! I feel like an actual Diddy Kong Racing 2 would have some original characters on the roster. This is what I'd do if the game could only use preexisting characters.

Remove the pig and Box Boy, and add Krunch and Rusty Pup. ;)

Actually remove the grandpa from Pushmo, and replace him with
Meowth

And shouldn't Cranky be replaced by Tiny since she was also in DKRDS?

Sponge

Banned
Remove the pig and Box Boy, and add Krunch and Rusty Pup. ;)

Actually remove the grandpa from Pushmo, and replace him with
Meowth

And shouldn't Cranky be replaced by Tiny since she was also in DKRDS?

About Cranky, I've just never really liked Tiny since her redesign. Good suggestions though!

Neo Saf

Neo Member
The thing that separated Diddy Kong Racing from Mario Kart 64 was the "Adventure Mode" aspect, of having a storyline and characters and an overworld to explore. Of course, DKR's implementation of all that was rather perfunctory as a result of it being bumped up for release to patch over the delays of Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie, but if Monster Games/Retro were to actually flesh those aspects out? It could be something distinct and complementary to Mario Kart 8.

Of course, there's a snowball's chance in Hailfire Peaks (Fire Side) that this Kevin Callahan rumor will pan out, but... oh man, if it did? We could be looking at an E3 with Yooka-Laylee, Banjo Threeie, Donkey Kong 64 Twoish, and a new Diddy Kong Racing. It would be all of DKvine's dreams coming true at once.

daTRUballin

The thing that separated Diddy Kong Racing from Mario Kart 64 was the "Adventure Mode" aspect, of having a storyline and characters and an overworld to explore. Of course, DKR's implementation of all that was rather perfunctory as a result of it being bumped up for release to patch over the delays of Ocarina of Time and Banjo-Kazooie, but if Monster Games/Retro were to actually flesh those aspects out? It could be something distinct and complementary to Mario Kart 8.

Of course, there's a snowball's chance in Hailfire Peaks (Fire Side) that this Kevin Callahan rumor will pan out, but... oh man, if it did? We could be looking at an E3 with Yooka-Laylee, Banjo Threeie, Donkey Kong 64 Twoish, and a new Diddy Kong Racing. It would be all of DKvine's dreams coming true at once.

Well, we don't actually know if a Banjo Threeie is being worked on by Rare or any other studio. Rare's probably working on a new IP or a new Battletoads. It doesn't really seem like they're working on Banjo.

Neo Saf

Neo Member
This is true, there was a tweet from Rare where somebody was asking about seeing a 3D platformer (and Banjo specifically), and the response was "Rare's all about trying new things!". So it does indeed seem somewhat likely we won't see Banjo.

However, Xbox's head of marketing Aaron Greenburg did say Rare had multiple projects in development, and there's always the possibility the (practically confirmed) Battletoads project is being developed by a different developer a la Killer Instinct. And I mean, hell, if we're gonna humor this Diddy Kong Racing rumor, why not go hog wild and dream big?

This is true, there was a tweet from Rare where somebody was asking about seeing a 3D platformer (and Banjo specifically), and the response was "Rare's all about trying new things!". So it does indeed seem somewhat likely we won't see Banjo.

However, Xbox's head of marketing Aaron Greenburg did say Rare had multiple projects in development, and there's always the possibility the (practically confirmed) Battletoads project is being developed by a different developer a la Killer Instinct. And I mean, hell, if we're gonna humor this Diddy Kong Racing rumor, why not go hog wild and dream big?

MS wont be able to use Diddy.

It would be all of DKvine's dreams coming true at once.
What if it's a sequel to Jungle Beat?

I'm still wondering if/hoping Playtonic have *something* going on with Nintendo, since their kickstarter ends right before Nintendo's conference and they seemed pretty eager to have Yooka-Laylee show up on the Wii U. If nothing else I'd be up for it turning out Yooka's in Diddy Kong Racing U, or even having Wise submit a few tracks. Would almost entirely be up to Nintendo as to whether they care about some ex-Rare indies or not, but they had that Puzzle & Dragons Mario crossover and had CommanderVideo show up as a trophy Smash, so they seem more willing to have oddball collaborations now than ever.

iBlue

From a business point of view makes no sense to release a Diddy Kong racing game on Wii U because it would compete againts Mario Kart.

daTRUballin

Yeah, Rare's been throwing the word "new" around lately, which makes it seem like it's a new IP. And of course Banjo is still possible, but if it's not Banjo, then I hope we get it someday :/

maxcriden

Incredible art! Really like this a ton. And BOXBOY! would be another awesome choice for the roster!

Sponge

Banned
Incredible art! Really like this a ton. And BOXBOY! would be another awesome choice for the roster!

Thank you!! Another suggestion I got was Judd from Splatoon. It was already after the picture was complete, otherwise I probably would have drawn him somewhere.

profile-judd.7bf2a8f246a0c89d7557b1eca91906b8fbb1b906.jpg

Really good stuff! I love Rusty. You even somehow manage to make Yooka-Laylee somewhat appealing.

optimiss

Well they put several platformers.

That is a good point. But I would point out that those are all franchises that were currently hot properties with a fanbase expecting sequels. I feel like SMBU and SLU were both qucik turn around attempts to fill out the library while they worked on the true next generation platformers like SMW3D and DKTF.

I'm not saying DKR2 will happen. I doubt it will happen.

But let's not pretend that Nintendo hasn't released multiple cutesy racing games on consoles in the past.

They have indeed but those consoles had muuuch larger game libraries and weren't nearly as lacking in multiple genres. If Nintendo puts out another kart racer this will be the first time I truly question Iwata's ability to make smart business decisions. Lately Nintendo has been on fire with games like MK8, SSB, and Splatoon so I seriously doubt they would make such a large misstep.

Sponge

Banned
They have indeed but those consoles had muuuch larger game libraries and weren't nearly as lacking in multiple genres. If Nintendo puts out another kart racer this will be the first time I truly question Iwata's ability to make smart business decisions. Lately Nintendo has been on fire with games like MK8, SSB, and Splatoon so I seriously doubt they would make such a large misstep.

I just don't see how it's a misstep. Nintendo has released multiple racers on their consoles for years! GameCube had Air Ride, the Wii had Excitebots and Barrel Blast. Hell, the n64 didn't even have a Metriod game. I think Nintendo has got quite a few surprises in store for us this E3. Another racer doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Curse this thread (and sponge's funky drawing), I went from being like "yeah DKR2 would be neat I guess" to actually wanting it and its cast of lesser characters.
Final unlockable is a car from Stunt Race FX in all its 90's polygonal glory, that's all I ask.
They could bring back boss races using DKCR/TF bosses, race against the colonel Pluck's egg walker and an excuse to see Skowl in another game.
The potential here is really something when I think about it.

I like Judd okay but as far as Nintendo kitties go he's got nothing on Nago.

My man, Nago the fat cat is up there with Coo the Owl.

butalala

I haven't read every post in this thread, but i'm familiar with the most of these rumors... but where does the DK64 2 part come from?

Dad

Do we even have an idea of how big Monster Games is? Can they really work on the Xenoblade port, co-develop Tropical Freeze, and make Diddy Kong Racing 2 within the same time frame?

Servbot24

Banned

At a certain point Nintendo has slow focus on trying to sell Wii Us and focus on selling software to the consumers it already has.

Do we even have an idea of how big Monster Games is? Can they really work on the Xenoblade port, co-develop Tropical Freeze, and make Diddy Kong Racing 2 within the same time frame?

They're tiny, like 25 people, maybe less. That's why I find it hard to believe they are working on an HD console game. I guess if Retro is co-developing it with them, as they did with MK7, it would be possible. Monster were only on Tropical Freeze for about six months though, and who knows how much of their time/resources went into porting Xenoblade. My guess is that if anything, they were working on ideas for a new 3DS game along with porting Xenoblade. My hope is DKC 6 on 3DS. They got to make nine original levels for DKCR3D and helped Retro out a bit on Tropical Freeze, so they have experience with the series.

optimiss

I just don't see how it's a misstep. Nintendo has released multiple racers on their consoles for years! GameCube had Air Ride, the Wii had Excitebots and Barrel Blast. Hell, the n64 didn't even have a Metriod game. I think Nintendo has got quite a few surprises in store for us this E3. Another racer doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Another racer is fine, just not a kart racer. I'd love to see wave race, f-zero, or a new IP.

Taker666

Another racer is fine, just not a kart racer. I'd love to see wave race, f-zero, or a new IP.

If they do another Diddy Kong Racing I doubt it will be a kart racer as such.....I suspect they'd follow the format of the cancelled Donkey Kong Racing and have them riding various animals.

Top Bottom