• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo files trademark for "Diddy Kong" in Europe. Can you dig it?

Zemm

Why are we assuming that a new Diddy Kong Racing would be exactly like the first one?

Maybe they would try to really change things up and do something drastically different from the traditional kart racing formula.

Does anyone remember Donkey Kong Racing? The tech demo for GameCube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

That's made me think that a Speedrunners type game with diddy and co would be fun as fuck. That would be much better than another kart racer for me. I'm actually quite excited about that idea now haha.

Speedrunners - https://youtu.be/opi8_vVDdE0

Anth0ny

If Diddy Kong Racing was announced last year, then maybe it would interfere with Mario Kart sales.

This year? Not a chance. Hell, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing were both released in 1997 and both games enjoyed amazing sales (9.87 million and 4.43 million respectively).

You can have two kart racers on the same console, especially when one of them is the best selling game for its respective console. It's fine. You might even say it makes sense.

maxcriden

Why are we assuming that a new Diddy Kong Racing would be exactly like the first one?

Maybe they would try to really change things up and do something drastically different from the traditional kart racing formula.

Does anyone remember Donkey Kong Racing? The tech demo for GameCube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

That'd be rad and I think you could be right esp. based on the full text of the original rumor. I hope Mallo rides that little car from the background of the Pushmo World training areas, though.

Sponge

Banned
If Diddy Kong Racing was announced last year, then maybe it would interfere with Mario Kart sales.

This year? Not a chance. Hell, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing were both released in 1997 and both games enjoyed amazing sales (9.87 million and 4.43 million respectively).

You can have two kart racers on the same console, especially when one of them is the best selling game for its respective console. It's fine. You might even say it makes sense.

Yeah I don't get why people think it would interfere. We already have more than one kart racer on the Wii U. Sonic Transformed was a launch title but people bought Mario Kart years later because it's Mario Kart. Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to release Diddy Kong Racing.

Oersted

Last Donkey Kong bombed. Diddy Kong has no pull. Mario Kart now includes F-Zero/Zelda/AC characters and worlds. I really don't see it.

jariw

Last Donkey Kong bombed. Diddy Kong has no pull. Mario Kart now includes F-Zero/Zelda/AC characters and worlds. I really don't see it.

If there is a Diddy Kong game arriving, it's very likely that the decision to make it was made way before the release of Tropical Freeze.

Zubz

Banned
If there is a Diddy Kong game arriving, it's very likely that the decision to make it was made way before the release of Tropical Freeze.

Plus, it mostly just bombed because it was a platformer on the only system where that market is saturated. That doesn't mean that the IP's flopped, it just means that it didn't get to shine as brightly as it deserved to.

daTRUballin

Plus, it mostly just bombed because it was a platformer on the only system where that market is saturated. That doesn't mean that the IP's flopped, it just means that it didn't get to shine as brightly as it deserved to.

I think it was mostly because the userbase was pretty small. Remember that DKCR sold really well on the Wii, and that was also a system saturated with platformers. The userbase on the Wii was freaking huge tho :p

I think it was mostly because the userbase was pretty small. Remember that DKCR sold really well on the Wii, and that was also a system saturated with platformers. The userbase on the Wii was freaking huge tho :p
Yeah, the problem was that nobody had a Wii u. More troubling is the average review scores, it didn't make that "Nintendo's critical best" list.

Anth0ny

Diddy outsold Donkey on N64.

And despite all that, Mario Kart 8 mysteriously excluded Diddy Kong.

#itshappening

daTRUballin

Yeah, the problem was that nobody had a Wii u. More troubling is the average review scores, it didn't make that "Nintendo's critical best" list.

Yeah, what was up with all those reviews? People seem to think it was a great game (I've never played it, so I can't really judge :p), so why were they so average? Were they really upset just because Retro wasn't working on Metroid? That's just lame.

Banned
if this happens, I will buy another wii u, so I can play this 24/7 and still play smash... cuz DKC2 is the best game ever created

62546524.jpg

An 83 for critic reviews, and 8.9 for user reviews are average?
Well it's not good at any rate. It didn't meet Nintendo's great games criteria.

And yeah an 83 is pretty average now that I think about it.

As in...Chibi Robo?

And now I just realized why Chibi Robo has a Amiibo. I am being 100% serious when I say that confirmed DKR for me. Chibi Robo Amiibo while cool, was just too random.
I was thinking this too! lol

Kurt

People. I'm sure tjis will be mario kart dlc. Its the only thing that make sense. Besides, it will be nuts to bring out another mario kart like game while they are still working on extra mario kart dlc

maxcriden

People. I'm sure tjis will be mario kart dlc. Its the only thing that make sense. Besides, it will be nuts to bring out another mario kart like game while they are still working on extra mario kart dlc

As discussed upthread, it's not clear if more MK8 DLC is definitely coming. So I wouldn't take that as indication of this not being real. 😀

Well it's not good at any rate. It didn't meet Nintendo's great games criteria.

And yeah an 83 is pretty average now that I think about it.

I was thinking this too! lol

Nah. The average score for a video game on Metacritic is 67. The average Nintendo game is at 76.

maxcriden

Retro, bring as many secondary Nintendo characters as you want.

But make sure Tiptup makes it into this game.

I think Tiptup, sadly, is owned by Rare/Microsoft.

Speaking of the roster, which B-tier Nintendo characters are you hoping to see in the game?

I love the idea of Bowser Jr. being the antagonist. I'd like to see Nabbit as a racer as well.

Anth0ny

I think Tiptup, sadly, is owned by Rare/Microsoft.

Speaking of the roster, which B-tier Nintendo characters are you hoping to see in the game?

I love the idea of Bowser Jr. being the antagonist. I'd like to see Nabbit as a racer as well.

I thought they made a deal when Diddy Kong Racing DS was released? Or was he only allowed to be used because Rare made that game?

If not, I want Koops from Paper Mario that controls exactly the same.

MIPS from Mario 64 should make his grand return, too.

maxcriden

I thought they made a deal when Diddy Kong Racing DS was released? Or was he only allowed to be used because Rare made that game?

Pretty sure it's the latter, but I'm not seeing a lot of info online. So that might just be speculative. But if they're going for B Nintendo characters as the roster I don't expect we'll see a lot of returning racers from the original DKR. Wiz pig would be a great boss, certainly, but I don't expect z intends necessarily owns him.

Regardless, Koops would be an awesome racer. Great choice.

Who is MIPS?

MIPS from Mario 64 should make his grand return, too.

Yes. I'm into this. Also, Nabbit and that pink rabbit from the Japanese 3DS sticker game. Give me all three.

Lol, bombed. Are people this desperate to elevate Metroid, which historically sells far worse than DKC? The game underperformed compared to previous entries in the series, but by no means was it a bomb. You can blame the platform (and NeoGAF hate brigade) for that. This whole notion that "Tropical Freeze bombed therefore Retro is done with DK" is hilarious, considering they've been working on their new game since October 2013, five months before the release of Tropical Freeze. Do you think they decided to cancel the project six months into development after seeing the February NPD results, which, by the way, weren't even that bad? Last I checked, it's at around 1.1 million worldwide, compared to Game & Wario and Kirby and the Rainbow Curse which are two of the worst performing first party titles of all-time.

Oddduck

If they ever make a sequel to Diddy Kong Racing, I would love to see some of these lesser known Nintendo characters become playable racers.

Spitz from "WarioWare"

Bunston from "The Legendary Starfy"

Rick the hamster from "Kirby series"

Dillon from "Dillon's Rolling Western"

K.K. Slider from Animal Crosssing

Nah. The average score for a video game on Metacritic is 67. The average Nintendo game is at 76.

But Retro's average was in the 90's before Tropical Freeze, and it brought them down to an 89 :( lol. Though if you only count their five main games they're at a 90. Not like any of this matters whatsoever though haha.

ramparter

Banned
But Retro's average was in the 90's before Tropical Freeze, and it brought them down to an 89 :( lol. Though if you only count their five main games they're at a 90. Not like any of this matters whatsoever though haha.
I can understand TFs unimpressive sales but its reviews is something I will never accept.

Knowing how Nintendo conferences are legendary for dashing all of our hopes and dreams, I'm going to say it will NOT be Diddy Kong Racing, Diddy Kong Country (2D or whatever) or some powerfully epic 3D Diddy Kong adventure.

It's going to be a goddamn eShop puzzle game on the 3DS.

woopWOOP

298193-kururin.gif

Kururin needs to be in this. He already controls a flying machine 24/7 in his own games.

Aside from him just a buttload of secondary characters who wouldn't really work as Smash fighters, but would fit great in this. Doc Louis, Slippy Toad, Judd... and Isabelle, ofcourse (not really B-characters, but you get what I'm going for, right? :p )

maxcriden

Oh gosh, so many great ideas that haven't even crossed my mind. Notable for me are Bunston, Rick or a similar Animal Buddy from Kirby's Dream Land 2/3, and Kururin. All amazing ideas that I would have such a hard time choosing between for characters to play as!

Also, anth0ny, thanks for the clarification of MIPS. I never knew that was his name. I wonder if it's an acronym. Mobile Impish Pal Softy?

optimiss

Yeah I don't get why people think it would interfere. We already have more than one kart racer on the Wii U. Sonic Transformed was a launch title but people bought Mario Kart years later because it's Mario Kart. Nintendo shouldn't be afraid to release Diddy Kong Racing.

It is just a dumb move. Why double up on games in such a specific genre when the alternative is to expand your game library and bring in new customers who are not interested in kart racers? Wii U is lacking in several genres. There is no way Nintendo is going to put out another kart racer. No. Way.

Top Bottom