• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

ZeroX03

Banned
so the bad news is that the 3ds is doing about half of what it was doing a year ago and it's in a very real decline.

the really bad news is that they're already in the hole $100m when they've forecast $200m as a profit for the year.

the really really bad news is that despite being up about 300%, wii u hardware sales and software sales are pitifully low (mario kart 8 makes up for 64% of all wii u software sales in this period), but we already knew that.

and the worst news of all is that nintendo didn't have a press conference at e3 this year, which is probably why the company is in such a sorry state.

Died at the last paragraph.

Is it? Doesn't that show that it's selling mostly to people who already own the system and isn't attracting new users? If the same holds true for Smash, that still puts the Wii U in a precarious position.

Why do you think attach rates and hardware sales are mutually exclusive?

Tomohawk

Every thing seems to be pretty bad across the board. Mario kart 8 did really well, but didn't seem to make much of an impact.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think the reason they haven't introduced the 2DS to Japan yet is because their is a new basic model coming anyway. 2DS was a quick solution for Western markets to have a cheap way to play Pokémon. But I think now is the time for a DSi like revision.

Did 2DS even make a dent?

Roo

Wii U seems realistic, but will heavily depend on how well sales maintain in North America thanks to MK8 and the impact Smash has on the system worldwide.

They really need to keep promoting Mario Kart 8 for the rest of the year as they promised for the sake of the console. Mario Kart 8 did huge numbers but if Nintendo expects it to keep selling like that just because "Mario Kart" then they're fucked.
Let's hope the free Mercedes DLC and the Amiibo toys help the game to keep the momentum going

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They launched the cheap 2DS and that didn't boost hardware sales so why would a new revision do that if the 2DS didn't? If Nintendo launches a 3DSi with beefier specs that games from this year and the next 2 years can use I would gladly upgrade. Otherwise it's already a lost cause.

Either they release a 3DSi this year or their next gen portable next year
I definitely talking about a revision that gets their core fan base that are willing to pay to upgrade. The 2DS wasn't that kind of system and is more of a downgrade when it comes to function and features. As you mentioned their will be a 3DSi type revision, maybe beefier specs to allow more consoles to be supported via Virtual Console.

EulaCapra

Pretty good uptick for Wii U.

But 3DS took a beating. So basically after Pokemon XY, practically nothing came out to maintain that momentum. Yikes. I hope they market the hell out of Smash 3DS and amiibo in all territories. I want my commercials plagued with them!

AniHawk

Is it? Doesn't that show that it's selling mostly to people who already own the system and isn't attracting new users? If the same holds true for Smash, that still puts the Wii U in a precarious position.

i think it's too early to tell any sort of continued effect mario kart 8 had. in japan it was nothing, but the us saw some definite growth and judging that, it seems europe must have as well.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So is Nintendo going to hit their Forecasts for each system? Doesn't seem like it, unless Holidays are HUGE.

3ds seems very unlikely (like it seemed when they announced the forecast). Wii U is quite realistic I would say, if the holiday quarter this year is around 2 mio, which means similar or a little better than last year.

Japan is practically the worst region for Nintendo now. Even 3ds is selling comparable to the other regions.

They're not good, but they're not bad.

the wiiu number is terrible, 0.5 million shipped worldwide in 3months is definately worse than bad even for this time of the year. it might be more than triple last years result but remember that was the quarter where they had negative shipment from europe.

Exchange rates and abysmal sales of the 3DS and it's software seem to be the biggest driver of losses besides the obvious Wii U. Nintendo really needs the 3DS to carry them but its not looking so good.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Well that's a great result for Mario Kart and pretty abysmal for everything else.

Would have to agree. Sadly, Mario Kart 8 result on its own without any major 3DS title launched hurt the company's bottom line. Furthermore, a restructuring charge and an exchange loss of 15 million and 50 million respectively is not helping things any less.

Q2 is already better positioned though with Hyrule Warriors, Youkai Watch 2, Super Smash 3DS and countless others; however, the EURJPY is currently standing at an average of 136 and so another exchange losses will most likely be booked.

They will be profitable for FY15 but alot is riding on the success of Q3, especially amiibo to increase operating income results.

Togbis

Banned
The Mario Kart 8 sales must have been a huge disappointment for Nintendo.
What a failure of a game. The sequel to a game that sold 30 million copies on Wii can't even manage to sell any Wii U hardware.

NateDrake

What a failure of a game. The sequel to a game that sold 30 million copies on Wii can't even manage to sell any Wii U hardware.

Except it did sell hardware in North America and in Europe. Now we have to wait and see if it will be lasting impact. It didn't have a big impact in Japan. And, yeah, fuck the game that has a 40% attach-ratio. What a failure.

boiled goose

good with gravy
The 3ds despite its amazing library still sucks as a portable gaming system.

No real account system, expensive games, barren release schedule all make it seem terribly sucky compared to other mobile gaming platforms where you have much less risk buying software and upgrading hardware.

The 3ds is a fucking dinosaur.

Nintendo should release a revision integrated with the first real global unified Nintendo account system, discount core games, and come up with a strategy to get cheap and free 3rd party games developed or playable on the hardware.

Roo

Try harder...

random25

No real account system, expensive games, barren release schedule all make it seem terribly sucky compared to other mobile gaming platforms where you have much less risk buying software and upgrading hardware.

Nintendo should release a revision integrated with the first real global unified Nintendo account system, discount core games, and come up with a strategy to get cheap and free 3rd party games developed or playable on the hardware.

So it begins, eh?

Zalman

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation.

DieH@rd

Banned
VERY slow quarter, with only bright light being MK8 which was mostly sold to the already established hungry install base who did not have a good game for a long time now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, I need a better comprehension of this

3DS for the Quarter

Japan - 260,000
Americas - 250,000
Europe - 310,000

Actual sales

Japan - 372,663
Americas - 354,000
Europe - ?

Don't tell me Holidays' shipments are still so much on the shelves that they limit further shipments...

JoeM86

Here we go again.

Iwata was right, mobile has really devalued how people see game prices -_-

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Btw, so MK8 in one quarter has already has a sold-in greater than 3D World? Or do you think there's any chance 3D World has shipped around 900K since the last report?

Hardware sales in the first quarter have triplicated since 2013. It's a great improvement.

The 3DS dropped hard on the other hand. I wonder if we're going to see one last redesign.

Top Bottom