• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

Painfully mediocre Q1 Wii U sales...3DS dropping like a rock YOY, Wii and DS are all but dead and buried.

MK8 is fantastic at selling to the existing install-base, but hasn't been all that great at generating a ton of new Wii U owners. I expected more out of it at launch...here's hoping future quarters will build some kind of momentum in terms of new adopters.

Hardware sales in the first quarter have triplicated since 2013. It's a great improvement.

The 3DS dropped hard on the other hand. I wonder if we're going to see one last redesign.

You say triple like it's a good thing...when the situation here is "triple from dead equals slightly less dead."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I don't want to downplay MK8 performance, but to be fair the bonus game promo made this purchase a no-brainer for WiiU owners, especially since it includes major first party releases. So yeah while these sales are amazing, they probably sacrificed also money that customers maybe would have spent on other software purchases.

I was annoyed at the success of MK Wii because I thought it was a pretty bad game, but MK8 is pretty great so the high numbers are well deserved. Such a good attach rate, and I think it will stay fairly consistent through the machines life.

Everything else though? Looks pretty bad.

JoeM86

It should end up even higher than that hopefully. Everyone loves Mario Kart!

Indeed. It's still selling. Anecdotal but there's often new threads here of people buying it. I keep seeing people on my friends list on Facebook saying they bought one.

Slow and steady wins the race...I hope...

AniHawk

Hardware sales in the first quarter have triplicated since 2013. It's a great improvement.

The 3DS dropped hard on the other hand. I wonder if we're going to see one last redesign.

the 2ds was the last design of the system i think. it was supposed to be the budget 3ds and it didn't move the needle at all, even when pokemon came out.

i'm not sure what else they can do to cut costs on the platform for themselves and consumers. maybe a $99.99 price point for the holidays is in order, but they also want to actually post a profit for the first time in a couple years so that may not happen.

CANLI

who cares? We have quality games on those 2 consoles as we had with the gamecube and gameboy.
Those results mean that Nintendo will spend more effort on realising great games for us.

Zalman

the 2ds was the last design of the system i think. it was supposed to be the budget 3ds and it didn't move the needle at all, even when pokemon came out.
Wasn't the 2DS a fairly big success? I'm surprised they haven't released it in Japan yet where handhelds are a pretty big deal still.

Looks like they got their expectations more reasonable this time only expecting 3.6 million Wii U's sold this fiscal year. That's a fraction though compared to what the Wii sold during that span.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, I need a better comprehension of this

3DS for the Quarter

Japan - 260,000
Americas - 250,000
Europe - 310,000

Actual sales

Japan - 372,663
Americas - 354,000
Europe - ?

Don't tell me Holidays' shipments are still so much on the shelves that they limit further shipments...

Quoted for new page.

Captain toad for january 2015 in Europe, and winter 2014 for Smash bros in Europe but Holidays 2014 for America... I have a bad feeling about this...

AniHawk

not sure if Nintendo will match its FY forecast regarding WiiU hardware.

if sales match last year's from here on out, then that's 3.2m. they can probably squeeze another 400k out of the fiscal year when sales have already shown improvement for the calendar year.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It should end up even higher than that hopefully. Everyone loves Mario Kart!
I don't expect much more from MK8 once the promo is over since most core WiiU owners will have already picked it up. It will of course get its push once we enter the holidays, but the real issue is still the WiiU price. If Nintendo can get the main system on the shelves for around 200 bucks in 2015 I expect games like MK8 to really show their evergreen potential.

JoeM86

Captain toad for january 2015 in Europe, and winter 2014 for Smash bros in Europe but Holidays 2014 for America... I have a bad feeling about this...

"Holidays" is a very American term that isn't often used for Europe.

Smash Bros will NOT be delayed out of this year. Nintendo know that if that happens, they'll be screwed. Even I'd be calling for blood.

I don't expect much more from MK8 once the promo is over since most core WiiU owners will have already picked it up. It will of course get its push once we enter the holidays, but the real issue is still the WiiU price. If Nintendo can get the main system on the shelves for around 200 bucks in 2015 I expect games like MK8 to really show their evergreen potential.

Nintendo could do that, yes, but then they wouldn't be able to make a profit. Selling units is all well and good for people here to go "WOW LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS", but it's useless for the company if it's draining their finances even more.

Nintendo played it very safe with Wii U. Just look at their software forecast, they expect to sell only 20M Wii U software this whole FY. Wii sold more software than that last year.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Bloomberg:
“What’s important for Nintendo in the near future is how they promote their new figurine business,” Yusuke Tsunoda, an analyst at Tokai Tokyo Securities Co., said before the earnings announcement. “It’s difficult for Nintendo to grow without as many new titles as they announced last year.”

Their figurine business is going to help achieve the company's desired operating income - it will most likely not make it, but alot is riding on the amiibo launch.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-30/success-of-new-mario-game-fails-to-revitalize-nintendo.html

AniHawk

who cares? We have quality games on those 2 consoles as we had with the gamecube and gameboy.
Those results mean that Nintendo will spend more effort on realising great games for us.

the 3ds and the wii u are a marked step down from the libraries of their predecessors. i would say generally that maybe nintendo's stuff is an improvement, but also not getting money to recoup losses usually means less effort spent on the things that made a loss.

Indeed. It's still selling. Anecdotal but there's often new threads here of people buying it. I keep seeing people on my friends list on Facebook saying they bought one.

The Wii U is never going to win the race. It's not going to happen. The fact that its best non-holiday quarter is .51 million shipped is amazingly telling.

And it really saddens me to say that. 3DS numbers are almost even more shocking, actually

random25

There will be no 3DS revision this year if we're expecting one. They did have good releases during that span (e.g. Kirby, Mario Golf, Tomodachi), but those weren't the most appealing games especially to the Western crowd. With significant titles such as Pokemon and Smash, and MH4G in Japan, we might see a good HW bump in the holidays, as expected. That will be the point where we'll see if the 3DS can hit it's forecast.

As for the Wii U, while pretty abysmal, it still sold pretty well to improve its current situation. It's Hyrule Warriors quarter next, we'll see how the Japanese and other countries will respond to an exclusive Warriors spin-off.

Anth0ny

Mario Kart 8 sold 2.82 million in its first month on sale.

shaqdamnnaurt.gif

wrowa

The 3DS sales really worrisome - and there's nothing but Smash Bros. coming up this year that could give it a potential boost. And even then I wonder how many people would buy a handheld for Smash Bros. of all possible games.

Yeah, I'm still rather annoyed at that. We think it's because of the Italian and French stores breaking the street date of X & Y. It's the only thing we can think of that can explain the delay.

Didn't you think that as the reason for the Canadian delay... which turned out not to be a delay? Would localization into various EU languages delay it?

Very impressive MK8 numbers. Glad to hear

Not entirely sure what to make of Wii U numbers quite frankly as it's a slow period of the year but had probably the largest game the console will ever have. At least it's a positive direction for it

3DS is a bit worrisome though

JoeM86

Didn't you think that as the reason for the Canadian delay... which turned out not to be a delay? Would localization into various EU languages delay it?

Only like one Canadian store did it, and they no longer exist because Nintendo screwed them. They couldn't stop the European stores.

Localisation isn't a factor. If ORAS is like X & Y, and it almost certainly is, it will have all the languages in the game as standard.

The 3DS sales really worrisome - and there's nothing but Smash Bros. coming up this year that could give it a potential boost. And even then I wonder how many people would buy a handheld for Smash Bros. of all possible games.

rubybox.jpg
sapphirebox.jpg

Ok, I need a better comprehension of this

3DS for the Quarter

Japan - 260,000
Americas - 250,000
Europe - 310,000

Actual sales

Japan - 372,663
Americas - 354,000
Europe - ?

Don't tell me Holidays' shipments are still so much on the shelves that they limit further shipments...

Holidays' shipments (and FY13 Q4) are still so much on the shelves

Is NEX Remix getting a retail release?

Also seems like a lot of the Wii U E3 games are coming before next E3.

Only like one Canadian store did it, and they no longer exist because Nintendo screwed them. They couldn't stop the European stores.

Localisation isn't a factor. If ORAS is like X & Y, and it almost certainly is, it will have all the languages in the game as standard.

Wait so, my NA copy has Italian and Japanese language support?

boiled goose

good with gravy
Here we go again.

Iwata was right, mobile has really devalued how people see game prices -_-

Proper online accounts add value. How Nintendo handles digital content sucks. This devalues the 3ds.

I NEVER said main 3ds games should be $5 but there are tons of games at that price range that are being played on other hardware. That is a reality.

Was steel diver worth $40? If online distribution was better perhaps some games could be $20 instead of 40.

It is not about games. The 3ds platform sucks. I want to buy and play the 3ds library. The 3ds sucks. I want to proper and modern nintendo platform.

Roo

I don't want to downplay MK8 performance, but to be fair the bonus game promo made this purchase a no-brainer for WiiU owners, especially since it includes major first party releases. So yeah while these sales are amazing, they probably sacrificed also money that customers maybe would have spent on other software purchases.

The problem wasn't the free game. Yes, the promotion helped a lot for the already installed base, but like Aquamarine said, the problem is that Mario Kart 8 failed to draw in new Wii U owners.

JoeM86

Proper online accounts add value. How Nintendo handles digital content sucks. This devalues the 3ds.

I NEVER said main 3ds games should be $5 but there are tons of games at that price range that are being played on other hardware. That is a reality.

Was steel diver worth $40? If online distribution was better perhaps some games could be $20 instead of 40.

It is not about games. The 3ds platform sucks. I want to buy and play the 3ds library. The 3ds sucks. I want to proper and modern nintendo platform.

1. They have proper accounts. Keep up.
2. Perhaps not, but they fixed that with the second one
3. If you want to buy and play the 3DS library then buy and play it. It doesn't suck and it is a "proper" and "modern" Nintendo platform.

Wait so, my NA copy has Italian and Japanese language support?

Yeah. Didn't you notice that you could select the languages when you booted the game up for the first time?
languages.jpg

Everyone I know who has uttered the word "WiiU" has done so in conversation about Mario Kart. It's how I've been selling the console to other families!

Same thing happened with the Wii. If they didn't buy it for Wii Sports they bought it for MK. Very much expect it to drive baseline sales from here on out.

EDIT: yeah console price is a huge deal too. When MK8 launched here a few retailers slashed WiiU prices to cheaper than a PS3 and a lot of AusGAF jumped in as a result!

Looking at the release schedule for Nintendo 3DS:
Professor Layton vs. Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney * Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Art Academy
Fantasy Life *
Pokémon Omega Ruby Pokémon Alpha Sapphire Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. Fossil Fighters Frontier
8/29/2014 10/3/2014 Oct. 2014 Oct. 2014 11/21/2014 11/21/2014 2015

And then the sales,

there is definitely a new handheld, and successor to Nintendo 3DS, coming out in CY2015.

random25

Well there's still Pokemon, and Monster Hunter 4G in Japan, and Youkai Watch 2 still selling like hotcakes in Japan...that could help it in that region at least.

In the West, while not much potential hardware boosting games, there's Fantasy Life and Persona Q among others aside from the 2 major releases this year.

Looking at the release schedule for Nintendo 3DS:

And then the sales,

there is definitely a new handheld, and successor to Nintendo 3DS, coming out in CY2015.

Coming out in 2015? Not just announced?

Also, I don't really think so. I got the impression they wanted to launch the new console and handheld close together, if not at the same time, and there's no way the Wii U is getting bumped in 2015

I'm sure Mario Kart 8 would've sold wonderfully normally, but don't forget...

doFpu9YFDin-zPZU-xY4aLXSGH594PEx.png

ulsWm2f.jpg

This contributed a LOT toward people jumping in sooner than they would have. Mario Kart 8 was effectively 50% off if you were interested in any of these games. Not to mention other retailer discounts running at the same time. (For example, I got MK8, a free Pikmin, AND Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for 40% off, all in the same transaction.)

They took a big future sales hit on making sure their biggest gun was successful and drew in as many people as possible to the console.

Edit: Beaten, it looks like.

JediLink

People really shouldn't be so surprised about MK8. The promise of a free game is what's doing all the magic.

EDIT: Lol, just one post above me.

Coming out in 2015? Not just announced?

Also, I don't really think so. I got the impression they wanted to launch the new console and handheld close together, if not at the same time, and there's no way the Wii U is getting bumped in 2015

DS was announced January 2004, revealed June 2004, released November 2004. So it's possible.

And okay, maybe not CY, but by the end of next fiscal year (ending March 31, 2016), there will definitely be a new handheld released in all major markets. I don't see any evidence of support from them, or any other software publisher. If there is no revision this year, it further adds credence to the fact.

Top Bottom