• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

You say triple like it's a good thing...when the situation here is "triple from dead equals slightly less dead."
I'm not saying it's a high number, but it's indeed an improvement relatively to the situation. Especially if it's going to bring some momentum for the holidays.

DS was announced January 2004, revealed June 2004, released November 2004. So it's possible.

And okay, maybe not CY, but by the end of next fiscal year (ending March 31, 2016), there will definitely be a new handheld released in all major markets.

That I believe. I've been calling late/early 2016 for a while. Especially with numbers like these, they need to get those successors out

They propably know a lot about business and things, but they surely haven't played tha actual game yet ;)

tkvugxvhhiua4bn69hep.jpg

DS was announced January 2004, revealed June 2004, released November 2004. So it's possible.

And okay, maybe not CY, but by the end of next fiscal year (ending March 31, 2016), there will definitely be a new handheld released in all major markets. I don't see any evidence of support from them, or any other software publisher. If there is no revision this year, it further adds credence to the fact.

Agreed with late FY3/2016. 3DS is dropping like a rock in terms of shipments. Nintendo needs something new soon.

They have Amiibo / diversification. They have QOL. But they need to revitalise their gaming hardware business.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I would be more willing to believe in a next-gen handheld for 2015, if they hadn't shown so much WiiU stuff for 2015 - no way they can have a robust launch lineup for a new handheld while developing these big HD WiiU games. They also plan to introduce the NFC add on and new games to the 3DS as well, so they will focus on a stop gap revision like the DSi was.

Neo C.

I really want an 3DS revision. My old 3DS is still in good shape, but the consumer whore in me likes a new redesign. Better battery and good portability would be preferred.

I would be more willing to believe in a next-gen handheld for 2015, if they hadn't shown so much WiiU stuff for 2015 - no way they can have a robust launch lineup for a new handheld while developing these big HD WiiU games. They also plan to introduce the NFC add on and new games to the 3DS as well, so they will focus on a stop gap revision like the DSi was.

Didn't they reorg their entire software development teams?

Also dev tools can be transferred for use on their next handheld and next console from Wii U, as per their plans.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope the 3DS overshipment from last Holidays has been almost nullified with Q1: that would allow for other quarters shipments that could still make 12 millions more reasonable. If there's a DSi-like revision as I suspect, those expectations could be even reachable.

Shiggy

The 3DS numbers don't really come as a surprise. Nintendo killed off the software support for the system. No major games apart from Pokemon and SSB for the West, with the latter not even being one of the big hitters in Europe in the past.

So is Mario Kart 8, 885,000 is the sold-through and 2,820,000 is the sold-in? That's a lot of stock shipped units not sold. So only about 31% of the units shipped sold since May?

I hope I reading that wrong.... It's a great game.

JoeM86

So is Mario Kart 8, 885,000 is the sold-through and 2,820,000 is the sold-in? That's a lot of stock shipped units not sold. So only about 31% of the units shipped sold since May?

You are reading that catastrophically wrong. 885k is the US figure. 2.8m is the worldwide figure.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

...It was at 2 millions sold ato customers as of June 27th, 2014.

Here we go again.

Iwata was right, mobile has really devalued how people see game prices -_-

I think mobiles have made people expect more from the HW design, UI, online features and the countless other things nintendo failed with when designing the 3DS. You're right that it has impacted how people view the pricing of games and i don't see this as a bad thing. 3DS games are for the most part overpriced (this applies to home consoles as well) a more variable pricing scheme would be great for the software landscape. Full price and bargain basement shouldn't be the only 2 options.

Pretty much everything about the 3DS was done wrong and frankly i don't think it's SW line-up is all that great anyway. In some ways it's a good thing because it's actually going to manage decent sales despite this. Maybe if nintendo can deliver a better product next time around they can regain some of the sales they lost this gen.

...It was at 2 millions sold ato customers as of June 27th, 2014.

Really? So either it sold 800k units in 3 days, or there's ~800k on store shelves as of June 30, 2014.

So as of June 30, 2014, wouldn't the attach rate be 2M/LTD HW instead of 2.8M/LTD HW?

Muzy72

Banned
Yeah, I'm still rather annoyed at that. We think it's because of the Italian and French stores breaking the street date of X & Y. It's the only thing we can think of that can explain the delay.
I have another theory. Last year in North America, both Super Mario 3D World and TLoZ: A Link Between Worlds were released the week before Black Friday, but in Europe 3D World was delayed by a week, presumably because NOE prefers not to launch multiple games on one day (they did the same thing with Kirby: Triple Deluxe earlier this year). Smash Wii U is almost guaranteed to be launching November 21st in both North America and Europe, and since NOE doesn't like releasing multiple games on the same day, they're delaying ORAS by a week.

big_z

The 3DS numbers don't really come as a surprise. Nintendo killed off the software support for the system. No major games apart from Pokemon and SSB for the West, with the latter not even being one of the big hitters in Europe in the past.

pretty much. 3DS has a fantastic lineup but this year has been dry and media coverage very limited as a result. the system could really use a price cut, its long overdue and theres a massive profit margin on them. stores put them on sale for 40%+ off now and then so might as well drop the price to 2DS - $99 3DSxl - $149

I'm hopeful for a 3DS revision. Preferably in the same sleek style as DSi or DSlite

the XL and 2DS are already made with low cost bill of materials in mind. there wont be a revision for this reason. Nintendo cant release a more expensive handheld at this point because it would conflict with an upcoming wiiU price drop.

JoeM86

I have another theory. Last year in North America, both Super Mario 3D World and TLoZ: A Link Between Worlds were released the week before Black Friday, but in Europe 3D World was delayed by a week, presumably because NOE prefers not to launch multiple games on one day (they did the same thing with Kirby: Triple Deluxe earlier this year). Smash Wii U is almost guaranteed to be launching November 21st in both North America and Europe, and since NOE doesn't like releasing multiple games on the same day, they're delaying ORAS by a week.

Perhaps, but they've been pushing for worldwide launches for Pokémon games, and there'd need to be an incredibly good reason for them to do that and I don't see that one being one :/

This makes more sense to me.

Thoraxes

regarding the 3ds, it's becoming really obvious to me that the system may only scratch at 60m. it's not going to hit 20m in the us without some major price drops, and 2015 will probably be its last full year on the market before it's replaced. that's a tremendous tumble from even gba's final levels of sales.

i wonder how close xbox one and wii u shipments were for this quarter.

That's about around where i've been pegging the 3DS lifecycle. Hopefully a successor will be shown at E3 2015. With maybe a holiday 2015, or spring 2016 launch, it'd have a solid 5 years on the market and a time frame comparable to previous handhelds from Nintendo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nintendo is still having big problems developing software for two consoles at once. That transition to the shared hardware between console and portable can't come soon enough.

Remains to be seen..

Something coming isn't something you already have and can be used.. I know I'm splitting hairs.. But still. It's not released yet. Bloomberg is a financial magazine, these things make a difference in sales and especially future sales.. One would think they'd be more precise?

lolwat

Bloomberg is a financial magazine. This will not impact the sales of NTDOY stock/shares.

zeromcd73

Plot twist: Every single Wii U title announced for 2015 will also be a 4DS launch title.

Thoraxes

Do you think they will hold a press conference at E3 2015 if they intend to show the next handheld for the very first time?

I don't think so. Look at the way they've handled (botched) the messaging on the Wii U.

I think doing something like a Digital Event is a great way to not let the press mess up the messaging of their announcements by giving the information directly from them in a manner that gives them as much time as they need to do it correctly. Not to mention they wouldn't be constricted by the timing of a stage show, or the wrong information from second-hand sources. They can pick and choose their method in a manner that isn't constricted by having to run a stage show.

They could do better hands-on videos, better presentation of the system and features, and show off more in a more concise manner.

Nintendo is still having big problems developing software for two consoles at once. That transition to the shared hardware between console and portable can't come soon enough.

Yep; I can't wait for this gen to be over from a Nintendo perspective.
If they can pull off the brother console strategy in the 9th gen it could lead to some pretty big things for the company's hardware and software business.

JoeM86

That's quite a misnomer. They're actually not. Their output has been equal, if not better, in quality, and higher in quantity across both platforms over the last few years compared to both platforms over any other period.

It's the lack of third party titles that is making it seem like they have issues, when Nintendo themselves do not.

random25

lolwat

Bloomberg is a financial magazine. This will not impact the sales of NTDOY stock/shares.

They are also doing financial analyses, which businessmen/investors use as tools. Every credible business news company can affect any stock's buying/selling potential.

Bloomberg is the world's largest financial media company. Their opinions/reports matter very much.

Uh... them saying "you can drive a Benz car" (even though it IS a feature coming) will absolutely not impact anything whatsoever.

They are also doing financial analyses, which businessmen/investors use as tools. Every credible business news company can affect any stock's buying/selling potential.

So do you agree that Lucina being in Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U will affect Nintendo stock?

Shiggy

Bloomberg is the world's largest financial media company. Their opinions/reports matter very much.

While it's pretty bad research on their side, incorrectly mentioning that this minor DLC has already been out does not have an influence on the share price of Nintendo. The DLC is too miniscule to have a meaningful effect on the sales of the game.

boiled goose

good with gravy
1. They have proper accounts. Keep up.
2. Perhaps not, but they fixed that with the second one
3. If you want to buy and play the 3DS library then buy and play it. It doesn't suck and it is a "proper" and "modern" Nintendo platform.

Yeah. Didn't you notice that you could select the languages when you booted the game up for the first time?
languages.jpg
They dont have proper accounts. It is behind ms and sony which are themselves behind ios, Google play, and steam.

This would be a proper account.
Buy games for the nintendo platform or account.
Play games on all compatible Nintendo hardware. Ie nes games anywhere with buttons, wiiu games on wiiu. Etc.
All nintendo hardware uses same account so you never lose your content when upgrading hardware. Even if you cant play all games on all hardware everything is same account. Ie ipad only ios games.
Manage games and linked hardware independently ONLINE. non of this hardware tied bullshit.

These are the expectations going forward for digital content.

And yes 3ds sucks sorry. It is a subjective and relative term, but consumers are choosing to game elsewhere.

I want to play Nintendo games but they have to get me to buy in. Im not remotely saying go third party. Im saying get it right.

lolwat

Oh, really?.. I disagree :)

Perhaps this particular thing isn't the most influential, BUT it's a mistake in the news. AND the fact it's a DLC is in itself news of the change in the way Nintendo does business and marketing. Which will have huge impact in the sales in the long run.

Perhaps this particular thing isn't the most influential, BUT it's a mistake in the news. AND the fact it's a DLC is in itself news of the change in the way Nintendo does business and marketing. Which will have huge impact in the sales in the long run.

lol... just lol...

I actually have nothing to say anymore. Also they never mentioned it as DLC.

Terrible results. Really bad.

Wii U sales still in the dump, 3DS sales significantly down YoY, still not making any money. Looking at the supplementary information, their gross margin has recovered so clearly they are making money on hardware again but their cost structure has also gone up since the Wii U released (I guess because of HD development), which means on the current pitiful revenue they still can't make money. The only way out of this for Nintendo is to grow their income. Next quarter will be down on a sequential basis because it looks like they have overshipped MK8 somewhat and with the same cost structure and margins the operating loss will be even larger.

If they are looking to their figurine business as a saviour then times are very desperate indeed. The 20bn yen annual operating profit forecast looks ridiculous, it is not going to be achievable with their current product mix (including the figurines) and cost structure.

I don't know where Nintendo as a company go from here, I guess the board are just trying to hold steady until they tell the world about this new non-wearables/QoL stuff that is being cooked up. I remain sceptical.

Shiggy

For that to matter, the point at which the DLC releases doesn't matter. And to think the Benz DLC will have a meaningful effect on sales of MK8 and subsequently affect the stock price is a positive way is wishful thinking.

Top Bottom