• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has lost its goddamn mind

LakeOf9

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is all in the same year! A year where they also have another few high scoring games (Pikmin 4, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem are all 80s games), and they still have a couple of games coming up (a Mario RPG?)

Like, I can't think of any other publisher who put out four 90+ games in the same year. And this is the final year of the Switch's life (supposedly), this is Nintendo's support for it in its last year? I always thought Nintendo consoles died in their last year lol.

Never been a big fan of Nintendo before, but the Switch, and specifically 2023, have sold me on Nintendo completely. At a time when the rest of the industry keeps engaging in clown shoes nonsense like chasing live service games, cancellations and layoffs and acquisitions and buggy launches and chasing tech over gameplay, Nintendo just quietly puts out great games upon great games that are among the best on the market, and they do it on a console that is more than two generations outdated.

Just insanity.

Last edited:
You can argue Nintendo is a shit corporation like any other, that they rarely devalue their brand and games with sales, that they hate their fans more than anyone (that super smash brawl tournament fuck up is legendary), that they hardly create new IPs and keep recycling the same games and characters BUT DAMN GOD THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE FUN GAMES.

phant0m

That's why they remain the best in the industry. And that's without 4k, 60-120fps, or crazy cinematics or motion cap
sick-burn.gif

Real talk though, as much as we give Nintendo shit for pitiful online infrastructure, it does mean they focus on one thing -- delivering a fun, complete experience out of the box. Sure, some games have DLC but most of their 1st party stuff doesn't. But when they do it's generally regarded as worthwhile.

Nintendon't:
  • Cut 30% of a game's content to put in DLC
  • Push ANY type of political or social agenda in games (that I've seen)
  • Force always-online in games, even if it's a multiplayer-focused title
  • Put ads in your home screen/library
  • Do bullshots or any other bait & switch trailers

Last edited:
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

This is all in the same year! A year where they also have another few high scoring games (Pikmin 4, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem are all 80s games), and they still have a couple of games coming up (a Mario RPG?)

Like, I can't think of any other publisher who put out four 90+ games in the same year. And this is the final year of the Switch's life (supposedly), this is Nintendo's support for it in its last year? I always thought Nintendo consoles died in their last year lol.

Never been a big fan of Nintendo before, but the Switch, and specifically 2023, have sold me on Nintendo completely. At a time when the rest of the industry keeps engaging in clown shoes nonsense, Nintendo just quietly puts out great games upon great games that are among the best on the market, and they do it on a console that is more than two generations outdated.

Just insanity.

I own all of these games and I agree with the scores, more or less.(Minus Wonder, Jury still out)

As long as Nintendo makes amazing games, prints money selling consoles to play those games, and never fucks around chasing trends like everyone else, they will remain untouchable and Microsoft can never buy them

Keep it up, Nintendo! You are all that's left protecting this industry from Microsoft

Last edited:

Nydius

Nintendon't:
  • Cut 30% of a game's content to put in DLC
  • Force always-online in games, even if it's a multiplayer-focused title

Splatoon 3 would like a word.

They cut out a massive amount of content (maps, weapons, kits) from the prior game so they could add it as later DLC to the "new" game, and if you're not connected to the internet you can only go into the campaign area. Everything else boots you straight back to the plaza with a message that you need to be online to use those features. Can't visit any of the shops, can't go into the lobby, can't go into Grizzco, can't edit your locker, etc. 90% of the game is completely blocked off if you don't have an active internet connection.

phant0m

Splatoon 3 would like a word.

They cut out a massive amount of content (maps, weapons, kits) from the prior game so they could add it as later DLC to the "new" game, and if you're not connected to the internet you can only go into the campaign area. Everything else boots you straight back to the plaza with a message that you need to be online to use those features. Can't visit any of the shops, can't go into the lobby, can't go into Grizzco, can't edit your locker, etc. 90% of the game is completely blocked off if you don't have an active internet connection.
ah, that sucks. i never played 3, only 1 & 2.

bummer they went that route.

Ozzie666

Part of this is because Nintendo values their games. They keep the prices steady, not offered day 1 for free, rarely big sales. they protect their retro content fiercely angering people with re-selling the same games. But in the end, for what it's worth it creates the illusion of value and it shows in their work.

Last edited:

Deerock71

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Never been a big fan of Nintendo before, but the Switch, and specifically 2023, have sold me on Nintendo completely. At a time when the rest of the industry keeps engaging in clown shoes nonsense, Nintendo just quietly puts out great games upon great games that are among the best on the market, and they do it on a console that is more than two generations outdated.

Just insanity.
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

nial

Gold Member
Mixed bag of a year, on one hand you have Mario, Pikmin 4 and TOTK (as much as I'm not a fan of nu-Zelda), on the other you have FE Engage, that absolute garbage remake of Advance Wars and the new 1-2 Switch. They also need to put down the remasters and remakes, because holy shit it's getting out of hand.
Their last amazing year was 2014 (best publisher of that year, IMO), and they will never have one as good again.
Cut 30% of a game's content to put in DLC
No, but they do release unfinished games with laughable support!

David B

An Idiot
Wow. Nintendo has the best scores on games for sure. Sony is really close though with tons of games as well.

Thaedolus

I’ve never once regretted standing in line outside of a Target in Scottsdale on launch day to get mine. It’s delivered for 6 years, I need to figure out why I can’t get it to boot up but the clincher is I told my wife eh I dunno if I’ll buy another one, and she told me that’s the one device you actually should replace if we need to, you dummy, it gets the most use out of anything. And she’s right.

OuterLimits

Mixed bag of a year, on one hand you have Mario, Pikmin 4 and TOTK (as much as I'm not a fan of nu-Zelda), on the other you have FE Engage, that absolute garbage remake of Advance Wars and the new 1-2 Switch. They also need to put down the remasters and remakes, because holy shit it's getting out of hand.
Their last amazing year was 2014 (best publisher of that year, IMO), and they will never have one as good again.

No, but they do release unfinished games with laughable support!

Both Engage and Advance Wars still scored in the 80s. Wouldn't exactly call that a mixed bag of a year.

I quite like both games. The story in Engage is pretty terrible but the graphics and battles are a step up from Three Houses(although i still prefer that game overall) I never played the original AW games on Gameboy Advance so I was happy it got a Switch release.

Last edited:

Maestr0

BG3 gave me hope for western dev, but Nintendo will always be the best, I just wish Sony to do smaller project

Soodanim

You can argue Nintendo is a shit corporation like any other, that they rarely devalue their brand and games with sales, that they hate their fans more than anyone (that super smash brawl tournament fuck up is legendary), that they hardly create new IPs and keep recycling the same games and characters BUT DAMN GOD THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE FUN GAMES.
Smash fuck up?

Top Bottom