• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has lost its goddamn mind

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
100% this. Look at Elden Ring- it wasn't the story that captivated people... Gameplay is all that matter. You are meant to be PLAYING games!
If a game has lore presented in the world then the game world is that much richer. It's less the destination but the journey along the way. Keeps you engaged and interested. Keeps you playing the game. Perfect example with Elden Ring is easily investigating the Scarlet Rot and where it came from along with all the Underground areas. By far the most interesting part of ER to me.

In a similar vein TotK has the intrigue of the Depths/Sky along with what changed during the time between BotW and TotK. And a lot of it is told through Hyrule itself down to the land and it's landmarks.

Same ol G

To be fair Resident Evil for bettor or worse has consistently reinvented itself while Mario's 2D gameplay hasn't changed or evolved much.... until Wonder, which I think is the best in the series (and i just finished World) Same for Final Fantasy though to... far worse results.

Either way, Nintendo's the main reason we're all playing video games right now, for one reason or another.
True i just pointed out that most of the popular franchises are old with many different games trough the years.
And i'm really happy with RE treatment by Capcom, as you said they keep reinventing the series.

Klosshufvud

There remains a huge talent pool of developers in Japan. Capcom, Bamco and Nintendo is more than proof of that. Sony blundered bitterly not investing in its Japanese studios.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
There remains a huge talent pool of developers in Japan. Capcom, Bamco and Nintendo is more than proof of that. Sony blundered bitterly not investing in its Japanese studios.
there is just as big a talent pool in the west, you just need to find the indie devs. insomniac, guerilla and housemarque are proof of that

OuterLimits

Plus Pikmin 4 with a very solid metascore of 87(after 120 reviews)

Nintendo has released numerous games that score 80+ this year(and several 90+ obviously) . Everybody Switch 1-2 is the one outlier.

MarkMe2525

They really have been putting out some bangers this year. I probably won't touch the new Mario game, but I'm glad that people seem to be enjoying it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Their games are always rated higher than they should be. TOTK is nowhere near a 9. It's the same game as BOTW with some minor changes. And most of their games have almost no or basic stories (Outside of Chronicles). Only Chronicles game I liked so far was Chronicles X with the Mechs.
It's a 9 or 10 for most people so deal with it. I'd say the same about Sony games and how TLOU story is quite basic and simple to me but that's just my perception too.

BTW you don't sell 30M copies at full price by being mid.

Klosshufvud

there is just as big a talent pool in the west, you just need to find the indie devs. insomniac, guerilla and housemarque are proof of that
Insomniac and GG are huge studios requiring massive manpower to produce games. These Japanese studios work best with mid-range budgets which allow more consistent output of games.

Woopah

The list does contain a remaster and an expansion, but yes I agree with the main point. Combining all their resources onto one platform as allowed to release good games consistently.

It's a good year game wise, but the side effect of that is there are long droughts with Nintendo releases.
Where are the droughts? Between 2022 and 2023 they will publish 18 new games and a further 6 remakes and remasters.

Last edited:

Mozza

You can argue Nintendo is a shit corporation like any other, that they rarely devalue their brand and games with sales, that they hate their fans more than anyone (that super smash brawl tournament fuck up is legendary), that they hardly create new IPs and keep recycling the same games and characters BUT DAMN GOD THEY KNOW HOW TO MAKE FUN GAMES.
As backhanded compliments go, this is the GOAT. ;)

iHaunter

You are right. It's a 10.

Xeno X also barely has a story(and it's a mess) and is more about world building which I preferred.

Some games don't need a intricate story when the story is all in the world around you. Show. Don't tell.
What did they show exactly? It was almost the same game again with minor differences.

They're fast becoming the only thing worth caring about in gaming, well them, Capcom and FROM and even Capcom is on shakier ground than I'd like (RE4R was great, ExoPrimal is a head scratcher)

trinity-terence.gif
A Trinity gif? Is my 70 year old step father a gaffer?

Sojiro

Definitely an amazing run for the year from Nintendo. So many games this year that are fucking excellent. I want to say Pikmin 4 was robbed from the 90+ club lol. It's all good at the end of the day, but dammit that game is so damn good.

Fake

Agree to disagree. After a session of something like Elden Ring playing modern Zeldas is sleep inducing.

There is no agree to disagree. I hate Zelda BOTW because of my personal taste over older Zelda vs new Zelda games, but they do push things at the point of forcing companies trying to make clones.

Look at the quantity of games right now that use similar stamina design, climbing, gliding, abuse of cell shading... I mean, I played Genshin Impact.

And Elden Ring have nothing similar to Zelda, besides being a open world. IMO I still think ER is better than BOTW , but have nothing to do with the case.

Last edited:

IAmRei

and their Nintendo directs often gave me surprise this year. my backlog for Switch is long this year. and this year is only 2 and half months left.

ZoukGalaxy

When you have passionate people loving their job and literally refuse to leave the company and then spending their lives in the same company, this is what we get and it's awesome !

video games news GIF by NowThis

And you be will destroyed if you are not passionate and just bring PowerPoint presentation with market strategy plan about "how to make numbers bigger for shareholders" and announce you will leave the market if numbers are not enough big.
Reggie Fils-Aime Nintendo GIF by Mega 64

Last edited:

Laieon

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

It's impressive that this is supposedly the Switch's last full year before next gen, and it's still pumping out bangers. It's a huge 180 from Nintendo's past consoles. To put this into perspective, by this point in the Wii's lifecycle, North American players only had a 2D Kirby, and one of the most divisive Zelda games in the series... That's it (Didn't help that Nintendo of America was holding some of the best games on the Wii hostage at the time, but that's neither here nor there).

It's a 9 or 10 for most people so deal with it. I'd say the same about Sony games and how TLOU story is quite basic and simple to me but that's just my perception too.

BTW you don't sell 30M copies at full price by being mid.
It really wasn’t a 9/10 and that’s why the user score is 8.1. Anytime there’s a large discrepancy between the user & meta score, it means the media got it wrong. TOTK was ok. Well polished but it was quite boring and didn’t innovate enough on BOTW.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
they do push things at the point of forcing companies trying to make clones.

Look at the quantity of games right now that use similar stamina design, climbing, gliding, abuse of cell shading... I mean, I played Genshin Impact.

And Elden Ring have nothing similar to Zelda, besides being a open world. IMO I still think ER is better than BOTW , but have nothing to do with the case.
And yet Dark Souls influenced the industry far more than any Nintendo game in 20 years. 12 years later Souls-like mechanics are still fucking everywhere, especially in the indie scene where pretty much nobody has the budget to make a game that implements BOTW mechanics.

Kupfer

Didn't play even one of these games.
But I'm glad to still have such top-class games in the backhand, as soon as the western studios go down the drain completely.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
What did they show exactly? It was almost the same game again with minor differences.
>Almost the same game
>Sky continents and the Depths...the Depths being Old Hyrule(the Depths map is a 1:1 mirror of the map of Hyrule) buried by New Hyrule, amazing new mechanics with Ultrahand that allows you to solve myriads of puzzles with more then one solution and the ability to construct improvised structures, vehicles. weapons out of thin air rewarding ingenuity

That would be like me saying Elden Ring is ass garbage because it's barely any different then Dark Souls 3. Which isn't true in the slightest.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
You have to give credit to nintendo... no other company has most of its fans by the balls like they do ... for me they are the worst company by a mile in milking their fans with old shit and at starving their fans just like xbox do or worst... the difference is when they do decide to release something its a couple of 9/10 nintendo greatness and not something shitty like xbox.

To each their own I guess.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Digital Spy whomever the F$&@ that is is going to get shredded.

Last edited:

Woopah

You have to give credit to nintendo... no other company has most of its fans by the balls like they do ... for me they are the worst company by a mile in milking their fans with old shit and at starving their fans just like xbox do or worst... the difference is when they do decide to release something its a couple of 9/10 nintendo greatness and not something shitty like xbox.

What makes you think the fans are starved?

BlackTron

It seems like you can't make up your mind whether Nintendo fans are starved or swimming in 9/10 games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats

200w.gif

The point of the thread is how many more high scoring games Nintendo put out this year.

samoilaaa

I wish we could get away from numeral review scores.

I played so many 90s+ games that I disliked and so many 70s or even 60s games that I loved.

I don't trust reviews done by "gaming journalists". User reviews are all that counts.
exactly , nobody can guarantee you that if the game is a 90+ you will like it

Fake

And yet Dark Souls influenced the industry far more than any Nintendo game in 20 years. 12 years later Souls-like mechanics are still fucking everywhere, especially in the indie scene where pretty much nobody has the budget to make a game that implements BOTW mechanics.

Dark Souls indeed influenced the industry, but I was talking about Zelda.

Top Bottom