• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo has lost its goddamn mind

Same ol G

Great I guess but feels barely any different than games released 15 to 20 years ago. I don't get how you aren't bored after so many sequels and games of the same 3/4 series.
This crap again...
Most popular series are old, how many games did COD get or AC, what about Final Fantasy or Resident Evil.
Don't get butthurt because Nintendo is able to keep their franchises after all these years were others fail.

Rambone

Nintengames are so good that I wanted the Switch to die and its successor to come out a long time ago so some of these bangers could have some justice done to them on better hardware. Looking forward to the next Nintendo console, definitely an insta buy.

cireza

This crap again...
Most popular series are old, how many games did COD get or AC, what about Final Fantasy or Resident Evil.
Don't get butthurt because Nintendo is able to keep their franchises after all these years were others fail.
You seem more butthurt than me though.

Sequels get repetitive and boring. This applies to all series. Great for you if you never get bored of playing the same thing again and again.

Kataploom

Gold Member
That's why they remain the best in the industry. And that's without 4k, 60-120fps, or crazy cinematics or motion cap
But Nintendo uses 60 fps as standard for its flagship titles except for mainline Zelda... Hell, they've always been 60 fps advocates, me playing PC + Nintendo made me not want 30 fps unless I had no choice (so, a handful of Nintendo games I care a lot about).

SHA

I wish we could get away from numeral review scores.

I played so many 90s+ games that I disliked and so many 70s or even 60s games that I loved.

I don't trust reviews done by "gaming journalists". User reviews are all that counts.
90+ is just for narrow thinkers, with all the amazing stuff out there, even 30+ considered respectable, I actually petty those who don't look below 90+ critic scores, it is so miserable to even think like that.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I don't really think any of those games are special, plus 2 are remasters anyway.

But i can't complain about a company releasing quality, at the end of the day even if I feel the games are iterative and not so exciting, they all released on time and worked properly from day one and don't require some sleazy battlepass or gamepass or this, that or another.

Overall I'd rather gaming as a whole was more like nintendo, again even if the games don't really speak to me as a whole

Last edited:

StueyDuck

90+ is just for narrow thinkers, with all the amazing stuff out there, even 30+ considered respectable, I actually petty those who don't look below 90+ critic scores, this is so miserable to even think like that.
With game journalists unable to tell their own arse from their elbow, do we stiil have 90+ thinkers?

I feel most the time it's just console warriors shouting from the rooftops cause a game on their plastic toy got 90+.

Like yourself I do pity those who can't look beyond a magic number made up by fat losers whose claim to fame is that they have pronouns in their bio and they dyed their hair for personality 🤣.

We get so much info and footage for a game before it releases, I'm surprised people still heavily need reviews to make their minds up, the only thing I'd deem necessary would be tech and performance reviews but not a fuck is the dumb dumb at GameSpot going to be able to figure that one out 🤣.

Hence all these 90+ games that run like dog shit or release in an absolutely messy state

Last edited:

Trilobit

I was not expecting the Switch to go this strong in its final years honestly. I was expecting a Wii-like drought, but here they are, keeping up the momentum and hopefully rocking amazing new games on Switch 2.

2Y5Kxuf.gif

SHA

With game journalists unable to tell their own arse from their elbow, do we stiil have 90+ thinkers?

I feel most the time it's just console warriors shouting from the rooftops cause a game on their plastic toy got 90+.

Like yourself I do pity those who can't look beyond a magic number made up by fat losers whose claim to fame is that they have pronouns in their bio and they dyed their hair for personality 🤣.

We get so much info and footage for a game before it releases, I'm surprised people still heavily need reviews to make their minds up, the only thing I'd deem necessary would be tech and performance reviews but not a fuck is the dumb dumb at GameSpot going to be able to figure that one out 🤣.

Hence all these 90+ games that run like dog shit or release in an absolutely messy state
I don't actually see any problem watching a 3/10 rated comedy movie, what's the problem with that?, people may actually never laugh in their life in a way without seeing those movies, they're missing a lot actually.

SHA

Search on the internet, even in MC site, you'll find them, 90+ to those people is life, listen to older podcasts like the site you mentioned, it looks like we both have history with these sites.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned

I played so many 90s+ games that I disliked and so many 70s or even 60s games that I loved.

I don't trust reviews done by "gaming journalists". User reviews are all that counts.
If I were to trust most recent Steam user reviews for Starfield, then I probably wouldn't have picked up this game but I'm actually one of those who enjoyed the fuck out of it.

Point is, I just make my own educated judgment and follow whatever interests me. For example, no matter how many Soyjacks will praise those Nintendo games to high heavens, I still don't really care about them (except for Metroid maybe).

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I don't actually see any problem watching a 3/10 rated comedy movie, what's the problem with that?, people may actually never laugh in their life in a way without seeing those movies, they're missing a lot actually.
i mean most of the best comedies get written off as terrible movies anyway so that is a great example, i mean anchorman is a 66% RT rating. sure that's not 3/10 but it gets the point across well

Cyborg

I mean Nintendo and PlayStation are delivering great value while MS lets you play trash on their Game Pass. It sounds harsh but it's true! You will find some great games on GP but nothing exceptional.

Last edited:

Mowcno

"Four 90+ games" is a bit of a stretch. One is a DLC another is an old game with remastered graphics. I mean most of Metroids high score comes from the work they did almost 20 years ago so I'd feel a bit strange giving all that credit to 2023 Nintendo like Mario and Zelda.

But even if you only count Mario and Zelda this year I don't think any other publisher has put out two quality games of that calibur in a single year in quite a while.

Hudo

But I've been told by experts on this forum that Nintendo's games aren't "real" video games and don't count.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake

User reviews? Really? User reviews are skewed heavily by people who don't like the product for any reason. I could have gave Starfield a 2 based on my personal glitch experiences, ( if would not run in full screen on my old PC, 2 quests required me to use noclipping to progress). Online reviews of products have people complaining about the item being damaged in shipping, etc. You get an overrepresentation of people with issues that are definitely a problems, but not representative of the average experience. The of course you have the agenda ratings.

Do you have examples of 70s and 60s games that you liked and user reviews indicated they could be better than reviewed?

K2D

Banned
That's why they remain the best in the industry. And that's without 4k, 60-120fps, or crazy cinematics or motion cap
BotW wouldn't sell half of what it did had it not been for the switch port, so don't come spouting nonsense..!

Still puzzled so many on here really care about these ridiculous scores some paid sites give to games. They're totally worthless and have almost no validity.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Great I guess but feels barely any different than games released 15 to 20 years ago. I don't get how you aren't bored after so many sequels and games of the same 3/4 series.

Whenever someone says this everyone else instantly knows they never play the actual games. 😂

Then you have some like Digital Foundry say that some of the gameplay concepts they’ve come up with for a particular part are so good they could be a whole other game entirely. 🤷‍♂️

You know what's weird, i feel like i already know what how a game is going to be rated before it gets reviewed. It depends on console, publisher and reviewer. At first it thought it was a coincidence but eventually a pattern is formed.

It's not just gaming of course. Some movies are just dog shit but adored by reviewers because they fall into a category that they love.

It's like the friend who loves all the albums from their favorite band. They're all 10 out of 10 according to them. Bud, even the Beatles had bad albums.

Lethal01

Sequels get repetitive and boring. This applies to all series. Great for you if you never get bored of playing the same thing again and again.

I don't care about having the same characters or the same lore.

What makes a game new is new gameplay mechanics and systems, Nintendo has been delivering on that better than most brand new franchises.
Unless we are talking about remakes ofcourse.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
what about Final Fantasy or Resident Evil.
To be fair Resident Evil for bettor or worse has consistently reinvented itself while Mario's 2D gameplay hasn't changed or evolved much.... until Wonder, which I think is the best in the series (and i just finished World) Same for Final Fantasy though to... far worse results.

Either way, Nintendo's the main reason we're all playing video games right now, for one reason or another.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
People stopped being bored from Mario Wonder because the game actually changed the stale NSMB formula into something new and good again. hence the high scores. It feels VERY different from the 15/20 year old mario bros games you played on Wii and DS, for the better.

Toots

Gold Member
sM3GmfU.jpg

It all started when Shigeru managed to get his hands on the N64 version of Cyberpunk 2077 last year. He knew he had to up his game then.
Luckily, the results of the 10+ years study by the R&D team mandated to find how to insert Miyamoto inflationist fetishes in a Mario game were abundantly clear : Elephant Princess Peach = furries and fat fetishists (approx. 96.66% of nintendo's fanbase) back on board
Sometimes genius is all about timing.

Anyone saying i made all this up so i can recycle my old myamoto eating crow meme is a waluigi fan

Cyborg

Are you aware that you can buy games normally on Xbox and that not everything is about Game Pass ? How is this even related to the topic ?
What games? Name a few that have the same value as Nintendo and PS.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
All the console warriors debating over MS and SONY when Nintendo is over here raining down excellence. Where the Nintenbros at? (Probably playing bangers) and not posting on gaf...
That's actually a good question. I barely if at all see Nintendo console warriors on the internet. Sony warriors on the other hand....Jesus (MS warriors are not better, they are just less).

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's actually a good question. I barely if at all see Nintendo console warriors on the internet. Sony warriors on the other hand....Jesus (MS warriors are not better, they are just less).
Nintendo's got no competition. Literally. Sega's not around these days and no one has dared touch their section of the handheld market. The only system that ever got close to usurping Nintendo's handheld dominance also sold half of what Ninty's system did despite being better in almost every concieveable way. That combined with the fact they've almost always got something to play for every month of the year makes console warring on that side of the gaming sphere basically nonexistent

Decade old IPs in the OP. Don't know why enthusiasts should be happy about that.
Still puzzled so many on here really care about these ridiculous scores some paid sites give to games. They're totally worthless and have almost no validity.

James Milner Lfc GIF by Liverpool FC

Tams

Splatoon 3 would like a word.

They cut out a massive amount of content (maps, weapons, kits) from the prior game so they could add it as later DLC to the "new" game, and if you're not connected to the internet you can only go into the campaign area. Everything else boots you straight back to the plaza with a message that you need to be online to use those features. Can't visit any of the shops, can't go into the lobby, can't go into Grizzco, can't edit your locker, etc. 90% of the game is completely blocked off if you don't have an active internet connection.

While Splatton 3 is pretty much a rehash of 2, there is plenty of content, so I don't get where you're getting the massive amount of content being cut. Salmon Run is even included in the base game this time.

As for the complaint about requiring being online for a lot of it; it's an online game. The whole point of the game is to play against other people. All the things you are complaining about requiring being online for are only things you can do and appreciate while being online anyway. The campaign is really just a glorified and extended tutorial and not the core of the game at all.

SteadyEvo

I agree with Mario and Metroid. Tears of the Kingdom lost its charm after 50 hours. Spending over 100 in BOTW didn’t help. Xenoblade does nothing for me. What’s the appeal? Story? Combat?

Top Bottom