• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Investor Meeting [Nintendo 1st Party DLC, NSMB3DS, NiN, Info In OP]

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
WiiU before xmas, have prepaired appropriate titles for launch, wiiU will have NFC enabling easy settlement and figurine connection
Well that's news.

guek

Banned
Nintendogs was the title that pulled DS out of the sales slumb lst time around. This gen the sequel didn't sell so hot.

Unfortunately, this things are a one time thing. The casuals have gone most won't be back.

One example does not set a trend. We wont know whether Wii U Sports would be big or not until it actually come to market.

jokkir

New tweet

WiiU before xmas, have prepaired appropriate titles for launch, wiiU will have NFC enabling easy settlement and figurine connection

Does that mean something like that Spyro game? I'm kinda confused about this one lol

Thraktor

Still sticking to my prediction that Wii U Sports will be lucky to do half what Resort did. Wii Sports was Wii magic. Not sure it'll translate on a new console without motion controls as the main draw.

Any game would be lucky to do half of what Wii Sports Resort did! I do agree with you, though, the series was basically tailored for the Wii, and I don't see a Wii U iteration doing nearly as well.

AzaK

Well that's news.
Very much so! I wonder if they saw Skylanders and thought "Gotta have that!". It would suit Nintendo really well too with their interest in toys.

"easy settlement and figurine connection"

wtf does that even mean?
I assume "Settlement" means you can use an NFC Credit card or phone and swipe near the controller for instance to buy stuff without entering your CC details.

For figurine connection I imagine ala Skylanders etc.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
the $80 price cut was a major overreaction. They probably would have seen similar spikes in sales had they simply cut $50 to $199

Or effectively killed off the DS and released Mario Kart 7 and ML3D.

New tweet

Does that mean something like that Spyro game? I'm kinda confused about this one lol

I'm taking it NFC = Nintendo Friend Codes and figurines are kind of their take on Trophies/Achievements? (maybe..)

EDIT: lol, completely wrong.
EDIT 2: After reading it again, I have no idea why I thought it was Friend Codes.

Javier

Here's hoping Nintendo Achievements are identified by an actual Smash Bros. Trophy Gallery.

Do it, Nintendo. Do it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Near field communication (NFC) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish radio communication with each other by touching them together or bringing them into close proximity, usually no more than a few centimetres. Present and anticipated applications include contactless transactions, data exchange, and simplified setup of more complex communications such as Wi-Fi.[1] Communication is also possible between an NFC device and an unpowered NFC chip, called a "tag".[2]
NFC standards cover communications protocols and data exchange formats, and are based on existing radio-frequency identification (RFID) standards including ISO/IEC 14443 and FeliCa.[3] The standards include ISO/IEC 18092[4] and those defined by the NFC Forum, which was founded in 2004 by Nokia, Philips and Sony, and now has 150 members. The Forum also promotes NFC and certifies device compliance.

NFC can be used in social networking situations, such as sharing contacts, photos, videos or files ,[11] and entering multiplayer mobile games

From Wiki.

From wiki:
Near field communication (NFC) is a set of standards for smartphones and similar devices to establish radio communication with each other by touching them together or bringing them into close proximity, usually no more than a few centimetres. Present and anticipated applications include contactless transactions, data exchange, and simplified setup of more complex communications such as Wi-Fi.[1] Communication is also possible between an NFC device and an unpowered NFC chip, called a "tag"
beaten :(

Yay(?) some interesting things could be done with this.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
So Calcio Bit is a soccer game that was on GBA?

fun soccer management game, not too disimilar to Pocket League Story. I had a hell of a lot of fun with it.

the $80 price cut was a major overreaction. They probably would have seen similar spikes in sales had they simply cut $50 to $199

Yeah, i've mentioned before - it would have been interesting to see what would have happened if they'd went with a more modest drop.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Very much so! I wonder if they saw Skylanders and thought "Gotta have that!". It would suit Nintendo really well too with their interest in toys.

I assume "Settlement" means you can use an NFC Credit card or phone and swipe near the controller for instance to buy stuff without entering your CC details.

For figurine connection I imagine ala Skylanders etc.
I believe it mostly means "easy pairing".

NFC?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Ever used a MasterCard PayPass card or transportation pass with which you just touched the terminal to do a transaction? It's kinda the same type of technology.

so trophies? or something?

Yeah, seems more like the Spyro game type of thing.

NFC refers to something where say it's on your cell phone, you could pay for stuff just by swiping it near a reader of some type by the cash register, if you had all the appropriate setup.

So it makes sense in the spyro figurine concept.

I think Nintendo intended it to destroy any chance of Vita as a contender this go around. I'd say they've already won that round.

guek

Banned
Or effectively killed off the DS and released Mario Kart 7 and ML3D.

the problem with that is those titles weren't ready when the price cut hit. They might have been intended to hit shelves earlier, but that was obviously not going to happen. Nintendo was wise to cut the price when they did, otherwise they would have been even farther off from their fiscal year sales target. Of course having key titles sooner would have worked too, it was clear shortly after launch that that wasn't going to happen.

royalan

I know what NFC is. But why will the Wii U - a stationary console - need it???

New Tweet:
Still planning offerig DLC but need more time to do more feasability study on market and needs

No Nintendo...you don't more time to research this. Devs love DLC. That's all you need to know.

Michan

WiiU will have individual account system rather than previous per hardware, hence several users per hardware unit

MEGATON

antonz

I know what NFC is. But why will the Wii U - a stationary console - need it???

New Tweet:

No Nintendo...you don't more time to research this. Devs love DLC. That's all you need to know.

I think they are referring more to Nintendo created DLC. Nintendo is taking the slow approach to it all. 3rd party DLC is already confirmed and in use.

mclem

I assume it's more researching how it can benefit *them*. And when to release DLC, and when to release a completely new title.

Edit: ABOUT F'IN TIME!

AzaK

I believe it mostly means "easy pairing".
Ever used a MasterCard PayPass card or transportation pass with which you just touched the terminal to do a transaction? It's kinda the same type of technology.

If that's all it is, that will be under-utilising the tech. I doubt they'd leave it at that.

Top Bottom