• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

It was pretty clear this was intended to be a holiday 2016 item and that's it. I don't get the clamor over it either. I see virtually zero value in it unless you just really wanna play a handful old NES games for $60.

Redd

That just tells me Nintendo doesn't want my money. I'll be damned if I pay a scalper so I'll spend my money on other things. Maybe some new shoes for spring.

jariw

I wonder if it being hacked has anything to do with this. Ugh. Glad I got one.

I think so. The decision to discontinue the product was known 1.5 months ago in Sweden (the wording at one retailer was something like "Nintendo has decided to...").

It was way too easy to hack the product IMO.

Pinky

Banned
Glad I was able to grab one, but this is complete bullshit. Why does Nintendo hate money? This thing was selling like hot cakes!

Zedark

I can't understand it.

The damn thing sells out in minutes, but Nintendo discontinues it because....?????
Because they want you to buy a Switch or a 3DS, where you can pay for VC titles. They make much more money that way, and create an install base for most other titles, so in short they don't want you to buy an NES classic when there is a Switch you should be buying.

This decision suggests to me that VC might be launching within the next couple of weeks, to catch all the sad out-of-luck buyers with Switch VC.

I havent touched mine since Christmas Day but it is nice knowing I have it if I want to use it. The wife uses it and other people are fascinated that it exists at all when they see it.

Good god. Nintendo will forever be Nintendo.

But Wario64 has my thanks. I snagged my NES on Best Buy the night it went in stock. Putting his tweets as an alert is a smart choice.

georly

My theory is the Virtual Console will be using similar features and layout to the Classics, so keeping classics as a limited series with occasional reprints is probably what they wanted to do all along.

There are use-cases this can serve that VC does not. It's a cheap, durable system. Works great as a gift or a thing to hook up to a kitchen tv or a vacation home where you just kinda wanna play for 5-10 minutes.

swarley64

giphy.gif

What was the point of this product?
Bump Nintendo sales numbers for Q4 2016 when they lacked any relevant consoles or games to sell other than Pokémon.

This move makes sense if Nintendo intends to put those NES games up for sale in the Switch eShop, or just relaunch the VC in general. No point in competing with themselves.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It was pretty clear this was intended to be a holiday 2016 item and that's it. I don't get the clamor over it either. I see virtually zero value in it unless you just really wanna play a handful old NES games for $60.

The true irony is that seemingly large amounts of people want one to hack and put a bunch of games on.

If you have no qualms about stealing why not just get a Raspberry Pi or similar from the get-go and avoid the hassle?

hao chi

I love Nintendo but they are so fucking stupid sometimes. I don't even want one, but this is just an idiotic case of leaving money on the table.

To the people saying it's because VC is coming to the Switch; sorry but that makes no sense. The same people who wanted this aren't going to spend $299 + the cost of a game to play an old VC when it could have been had for $60.

Instead life will go on and Nintendo gets nothing.

Top Bottom