• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Nintendo is cancelling these since it's essentially a dead-end product. With every 3DS or Switch sold, Nintendo can sell the customer games and accessories. With a NES Classic, once they buy the unit itself, that's it, Nintendo stands to make no more money on it.

No, you may try as hard as you can to spin this but it still won't make sense.

Lothars

The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Nintendo is cancelling these since it's essentially a dead-end product. With every 3DS or Switch sold, Nintendo can sell the customer games and accessories. With a NES Classic, once they buy the unit itself, that's it, Nintendo stands to make no more money on it.
I'm sorry this makes no sense and I know you constantly defend Nintendo but this is indefensible. What a shitty thing for them to do.

Short term product to the very end.

LOL @ those cursing Nintendo. $300 Switches are selling out with a big attach rate. Ditch this thing and focus on the system.

They can always bring these back every holiday to fuck with people for extra money and it will NEVER fail.
Until it doesn't and there's really no guarantee the switch will keep selling long term, it all depends on what they keep announcing. This is a stupid short sighted move from nintendo designed to fuck over the fans.

Glix

Wow. Just wow. Fuck you NOA.

I was in no rush to get this, I didnt go nuts hunting one down. Figured I'd wait until stock was there and just pick one up for msrp.

I am super dissappointed and kinda mad too.

I wonder how much the ease of hacking played into the decision.

tsundoku

I have a feeling that between paying licensing for some of the games they didn't own directly, and how cheap this technology inside should have been compared to what they were paying for it, and the unique manufacturing that lines up with nothing else in their product line, that Nintendo wasn't actually making much on this.

They're clearly ramping up for virtual console on the switch to get back to making their sweet 15-5 dollars per game instead of dimes

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Glad I got mine. Didn't expect that would be the one and only time I'd see it in the wild.

Sorry to others though.

Zedark

And I wonder how much profit they make on the system: it's only 60 dollars, so the margin can't be that high.
Definitely not as high as selling you 2 or 3 VC titles directly from the eShop.

Dishwalla

Banned
Never saw one on a store shelf either, only got one because I was lucky enough to see someone post about it being up on Prime Now within a few minutes of them posting it.

Joey Ravn

Banned
wtf was teh point of this - there was never even enough of a supply for people to pick one up for retail

It was a limited-release product. Scarcity is exactly what it strived for. It's not really hard to grasp.

I'm sure Nintendo could keep on making a profit if it turned it into a regular product, but given how easily hackable it is, doing so could put a dent on their VC plans for the Switch.

Kthulhu

Fucking hell. The thing wasn't even out for a year.

I can understand halting production to make improvements, but full cancelation?

I swear, it feels like Nintendo hates money sometimes.

People are manipulating the device to provide a greater service than Nintendo provided themselves. It makes business sense to stop production, patch the hole, and re-release.

Unless of course they really don't give a shit which I find unlikely as any business is out to profit.

Despite that people still wanted to buy one. The demand was high regardless of better options out there like the Pi.

tim1138

My wife and I were gonna buy a couple of these as Christmas gifts, but weren't able to because they were impossible to find. To this day I've never actually seen one in a store or in stock on Amazon.

ViolentP

And I wonder how much profit they make on the system: it's only 60 dollars, so the margin can't be that high.
Definitely not as high as selling you 2 or 3 VC titles directly from the eShop.

That thing looks super cheap to make so the profits made on each are likely pretty high.

But they aren't purposely holding back stock

Seriously, this pretty much obliterates any defensive argument that Nintendo just underestimates demand for some things and will try to increase supplies in the future.

No, when there's extremely limited stock of something, Nintendo fucking meant it to be limited.

Deku89

I can see three reasons for this:

1) They will redesign it at release it later on (probably during the holidays). Hopefully with a longer cord, more games, and easier to manufacture.

2) The deal they made with the manufacturer ran out (because it was only a short termed deal). They couldn't get a profitable situation with that same company and decided to cut their losses.

3) It will conflict too much with the Switch VC and they make more money that way.

Obviously, the success caught them by surprise, but they don't want to commit fully to it because in case the bubble bursts and they're left with a bunch of extra stock. I expect we'll see a SNES classic eventually.

Kthulhu

It was a limited-release product. Scarcity is exactly what it strived for. It's not really hard to grasp.

I'm sure Nintendo could keep on making a profit if it turned it into a regular product, but given how easily hackable it is, doing so could put a dent on their VC plans for the Switch.

I can emulate all of these games on my PC and phone already. The NES classic didn't do shit to hurt VC that emulators weren't already doing.

flyover

This is a perfect time for Sony to strike. Imagine if they released an inexpensive, tiny console capable of playing classic PlayStation games on modern TVs. Heck, they could run it off some forked Vita OS, making it compatible with most Vita games, too. And if they were really ambitious, it could run PlayStation Now and even PS4 remote play. It's brilliant...

Just bought a controller for $39.99 (I never wanted the system, I have an Analogue NT Mini). Sigh. I'm guessing they'll be even more someday.

dickroach

Fucking hell. The thing wasn't even out for a year.

I can understand halting production to make improvements, but full cancelation?

I swear, it feels like Nintendo hates money sometimes.

they hate consumers. they know how to make money

30 games on the NES Classic - a profit of a couple dollars
30 games on the VC - a profit of a couple of hundred dollars

Nosgotham

Congrats on your new car.

I don't have a new car. It's from 1999. But it's paid off so that nice. I actually have no intention of selling any.i bought 3.

I gave one as a gift to a friend for his birthday.

I opened one to play.

I'm keeping one for my sealed collection as I am a collector.

Huh? The NES classic sold consistently. I think it sold well over 1.5 million by this point.

These people got one by being in the right place at the right time, or sitting at their computer hitting F5

They've never been in stock online for more than 5 minutes at a time, often weeks or months between restocks.

I don't know a single person who was able to buy one in a store.

You're kidding yourself if you think anyone other than the extremely lucky just went to Walmart and bought a NES Classic. I'd wager a good amount of that 1.5 were sold to scalpers

Fury451

Banned
This is pretty scummy that they create these scenarios to keep the value high.

Like Disney with the "movie vault", except horrible.

Still don't believe in artificial scarcity?

It's true. It's damn true. But here, they can fall back on it being a "limited run collector's product" basically, so it's not quite the same.

Wow. Just wow. Fuck you NOA.

I was in no rush to get this, I didnt go nuts hunting one down. Figured I'd wait until stock was there and just pick one up for msrp.

I am super dissappointed and kinda mad too.

I wonder how much the ease of hacking played into the decision.
A lot, I'd imagine. Remember, Nintendo is vigilant at trying to stop hacks on their systems in any way possible. The NES Classic ended up being fairly easy to hack, and they have no way to stop it (unless they fully redesign the system). Putting out more units only makes it easier for more people to access ROMs that Nintendo would much rather keep exclusive to their new, very important Switch ecosystem.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Still don't believe in artificial scarcity?

Technically this has nothing to do with artificial scarcity it's a limited run product that they didn't want to continue producing stock for. There's no payoff to this unlike the concept of artificial scarcity.

This is a perfect time for Sony to strike. Imagine if they released an inexpensive, tiny console capable of playing classic PlayStation games on modern TVs. Heck, they could run it off some forked Vita OS, making it compatible with most Vita games, too. And if they were really ambitious, it could run PlayStation Now and even PS4 remote play. It's brilliant...

The type of consumer who still wants an NES Classic doesn't give a shit about anything you've listed. No one wants a PS TV.

ViolentP

Despite that people still wanted to buy one. The demand was high regardless of better options out there like the Pi.

Nintendo has an obligation to protect it's properties, however. If the public were allowed free reign with them, they run the risk of having their values diminished. That is of greater value than the money made on these.

Top Bottom