• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

There are use-cases this can serve that VC does not. It's a cheap, durable system. Works great as a gift or a thing to hook up to a kitchen tv or a vacation home where you just kinda wanna play for 5-10 minutes.
Nintendo does not care. They'd prefer you buy them a Switch.

It's bad logic. But it in undeniably on-brand logic for Nintendo.

Wow. Scalpers are rejoicing at this news I'm sure. The prices are going to get even more ridiculous.

I'm glad I managed to get the two I wanted (one for me and one for someone else) at retail prices, but this really sucks for those who haven't been lucky enough to get one.

Nintendo really is weird at times - surely these things are cheap as hell to produce - why not keep making them?

Pinky

Banned
Scalpers now like...

200_s.gif

ViolentP

I love Nintendo but they are so fucking stupid sometimes. I don't even want one, but this is just an idiotic case of leaving money on the table.

People are manipulating the device to provide a greater service than Nintendo provided themselves. It makes business sense to stop production, patch the hole, and re-release.

Unless of course they really don't give a shit which I find unlikely as any business is out to profit.

I feel lucky to have gotten both a console and an extra controller but it was a nightmare. I got a controller from amazon during the first wave. Didn't get a console until over a month later from Walmart.

The system is super cute and obviously desirable. Nintendo never knew what they had.

The true irony is that seemingly large amounts of people want one to hack and put a bunch of games on.

If you have no qualms about stealing why not just get a Raspberry Pi or similar from the get-go and avoid the hassle?
People wanted one before any of that was hacked and weren't able to buy one

There was nothing else to talk about because none were being sold so the hack dominates the conversation

baconcow

Pretty stupid decision on Nintendo's part. I am lucky I found one with an extra controller, day one, but I know a lot of people didn't find one. It makes no sense for a company to cut off a revenue stream unless it harms another revenue stream. Surely, the NES Classic raises interest in other Nintendo products more than it harms them? Perhaps they feel the hacked systems might harm current and future VC sales?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Watch it be back at the end of the year for the Holidays.

I expect there will be a SNES classic that will about 10x times harder to find. It'll have the same low quantities but with even more demand in terms of nostalgia plus scalpers cashing in even harder

They won't do this, but if they released all the games from the NES classic onto a Switch Cart and gave it the same interface as the NES classic, I'd buy it for $60. Call it "NES Classic Pack" or something like that.

To the people saying it's because VC is coming to the Switch; sorry but that makes no sense. The same people who wanted this aren't going to spend $299 + the cost of a game to play an old VC when it could have been had for $60.

Instead life will go on and Nintendo gets nothing.

Plus, I won't believe VC is coming to the Switch until it's actually on the Switch. Nintendo has shown progressively less willingness to exploit their back catalog, for some bizarre reason.

watershed

Banned
Nintendo left so much money on the table with this. I feel bad for everyone who wanted one but won't be able to find one. This should have been everywhere.

LegendX48

But... they were never even on store shelves :/

Hopefully this last shipment is a good size. I want a chance at getting one, if nothing else.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Nintendo is cancelling these since it's essentially a dead-end product. With every 3DS or Switch sold, Nintendo can sell the customer games and accessories. With a NES Classic, once they buy the unit itself, that's it, Nintendo stands to make no more money on it.

This whole situation was a complete joke. Minuscule shipments, no preorders, no real commitment to restocking it in the face of insane demand. It's so annoying because of how easily avoided it all could have been. They seriously made this whole mess themselves.

I expect there will be a SNES classic that will about 10x times harder to find. It'll have the same low quantities but with even more demand in terms of nostalgia plus scalpers cashing in even harder

The NES is far more culturally relevant than the SNES in pretty much every part of the world. The nostalgia for a SNES Classic won't be near the same, even if it's a better overall product.

Lylo

Maybe it isn't very profitable? Maybe they want to clear more space for the Switch at their warehouses? Maybe they don't want to cannibalize future VC sales on the Switch eShop? I don't know, just some wild guesses...

ViolentP

The more I think about it, it kinda makes sense that Nintendo is cancelling these since it's essentially a dead-end product. With every 3DS or Switch sold, Nintendo can sell the customer games and accessories. With a NES Classic, once they buy the unit itself, that's it, Nintendo stands to make no more money on it.

Still. There must be a hefty profit margin with one of those devices. Thing can't cost more than $3 to produce.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Short term product to the very end.

LOL @ those cursing Nintendo. $300 Switches are selling out with a big attach rate. Ditch this thing and focus on the system.

They can always bring these back every holiday to fuck with people for extra money and it will NEVER fail.

Top Bottom