• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

bman94

Unless Nintendo can make this concept super user friendly it seems like a bothersome device. Can you imagine how shit it would be if you lost one part of the controller? As matter of fact, this makes it seem even less portable than any other device Nintendo has made. Having detachable parts makes me think this thing isn't going to fit in my pocket like a DS or 3DS. I'm just imagining having to keep the portable in a bag because of the detachable parts. Now if it gets a really secure connection, that's great, but unless the attachable parts are the same sizes of the console itself it'll feel terrible in someone's pocket...kinda of like the Circle Pad Pro...

Can someone give a summary of what this means?

I have trouble reading patents, and people are saying how amazing it is but I have no idea what it is

Right now controllers connect to consoles via bluetooth, and are built directly into handhelds.

What happens to physical controls on a handheld in a world where touch screens take primacy over buttons? (And thus sometimes you don't want the buttons to be there at all.) What happens to physical controls on a handheld in a world where handhelds also double as boxes you drop on a dock and connect to your TV? (In which case the controls would just be sitting there, useless, and you'd need a separate accessory just to operate the system.)

They need to be able to separate from the handheld.

You'd need the separated controllers to be able to communicate with the TV-connected setup without wires, and you'd also want them to be able to communicate with the handheld without wires.

You can connect to the TV console wirelessly via bluetooth, that's easy.

But bluetooth is a huge battery hog, so it's not super friendly to a device you have to take on the go. You wouldn't want to have to power the control units separately while using the handheld because either of them could run out of battery (independently of the main handheld), which would suck while you're on the go. So you need some way to read the controls from the controller devices without them needing their own power source.

What are the options for hooking up the controllers? It's a pain in the ass to have some kind of physical connection like wires to hook up the controls to the handheld, so that's out. Wireless contacts like you use for a dock could work, but then you'd have tons of electronics exposed on what's supposed to be a portable device.

The solution: use IR sensors built in to either side of the handheld to "see" into the controller devices when they're attached to the handheld, via a small window on the appropriate side of the controller unit. The IR sensors can "see" the positions the buttons and analog inputs are in and tell the games to respond appropriately.

No need to supply any power to the controllers when they're attached to the handheld, no need to have the control unit transfer any kind of data back to the handheld. The handheld reads the inputs through IR and handles them on its own.

And, in theory, the controllers could still have their own batteries and work when detached, so you could use them like a totally wireless Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

The Boat

I was actually just thinking about a sliding insert with a magnet at the entrance. So if you slid it down, the top of both parts would connect when the slider hits the bottom. Maybe a magnet release button to dislodge it.
Yeah something like that could work.

Air

Banned
I don't usually comment in these sort of threads (running wild with speculation is the best way to end up getting disappointed), but from what I'm reading gaffers say, along with the link that was just posted- this little device is going to have a bunch of really cool tech packed into it.

I was interested in the reveal of the NX before, but now I'm definitely invested. I'm getting a "Wii" feeling from all of this and am excited to see how Nintendo can change it up in the wake of their current performance.

bman94

Just thought of something completely ridiculous. What if this thing can project an image while in dock mode? So imagine the thing is docked, any you have the game running on the TV, but the handheld portion is sending a hologram like image from the device that's intractable with hand gestures? It'll be like having a second screen experience...without having a second screen.

ggx2ac

Oh hey, something comes to fruition now when I banked on predicting NX utilising improved facial expression and hand gesture recognition tech with an IR Camera back in March 16th along with my other important prediction on that same day which isn't relevant to this thread.

Now of course I haven't gotten recognition of facial expressions correct yet. Bound to get something wrong. And part of the idea did come up after seeing this patent thread back in March http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1195969

Optics!

And yes, I didn't expect hand gesture recognition tech to be used in this way but I was correct for getting the tech right.

This definitely sounds like something you don't want your competitors their hands on.

Anyway, I'm just pretty excited at the prospects of this.

Edit: Hah had to edit that out because I just wanted to point out an interferometer but having it mention using a camera doesn't make sense since camera take in the exposure of light. It is not the emitter of the IR.

Eradicate

Kind of goes with the donut screen thing too if they just wanted you to "pop" whatever controller pieces you wanted into the screen. Not that they will, but they could, and this explains how it could be done!

I think if this was like a tablet...but twice as thick, with some space for the controller pieces to go into it somewhat (and then get magnetically/physically locked in), you could keep these things in full time if you wanted and it'd look just like a normal handheld. With the recognition patterns outlined here, it could scale your game screen immediately to make up for the portions being covered! But, remove them, and now you've got the full screen for a tablet! It's really pretty cool to imagine!

As someone mentioned earlier, it does kind of open up the idea of an ecosystem because from here on they can have lots of configurations and such using this!

Oh, another useless feature for something like this...you could pop in/out controller pieces and it'd recognize it immediately. You know that whole analog stick symmetrical or not debate on game controllers? Don't worry about it and all and just pop in the pieces however you like it! The camera and IR will figure out your layout immediately!

Hehe, reminds me of this from the WUST.

Whoa! You're the key to all of this, aren't you?!?

I'm plugging my own article here, but I spent some time digging through these patents thanks to this thread and have put together a pretty comprehensive overview of what (I think) it all means:

http://www.n-sider.com/blog/2016/08/nintendos-nx-could-be-a-super-game-watch

Nice article, and great explanation of the patent lobule! (EDIT: lobdale! Sorry!)

I was actually just thinking about a sliding insert with a magnet at the entrance. So if you slid it down, the top of both parts would connect when the slider hits the bottom. Maybe a magnet release button to dislodge it.

Ah, that would do it just nicely!

The patent specifically mentions clasps and/or magnets, and I think your solution would be cheap and sturdy enough to work just great!

Right now controllers connect to consoles via bluetooth, and are built directly into handhelds.

What happens to physical controls on a handheld in a world where touch screens take primacy over buttons? (And thus sometimes you don't want the buttons to be there at all.) What happens to physical controls on a handheld in a world where handhelds also double as boxes you drop on a dock and connect to your TV? (In which case the controls would just be sitting there, useless, and you'd need a separate accessory just to operate the system.)

You'd need the separated controllers to be able to communicate with the TV-connected setup without wires, and you'd also want them to be able to communicate with the handheld without wires.

But bluetooth is a huge battery hog, so it's not super friendly to a device you have to take on the go. You wouldn't want to have to power the control units separately while using the handheld because either of them could run out of battery (independently of the main handheld), which would suck while you're on the go. So you need some way to read the controls from the controller devices without them needing their own power source.

What are the options for hooking up the controllers? It's a pain in the ass to have some kind of physical connection like wires to hook up the controls to the handheld, so that's out. Wireless contacts like you use for a dock could work, but then you'd have tons of electronics exposed on what's supposed to be a portable device.

The solution: use IR sensors built in to either side of the handheld to "see" into the controller devices when they're attached to the handheld, via a small window on the appropriate side of the controller unit. The IR sensors can "see" the positions the buttons and analog inputs are in and tell the games to respond appropriately.

No need to supply any power to the controllers when they're attached to the handheld, no need to have the control unit transfer any kind of data back to the handheld. The handheld reads the inputs through IR and handles them on its own.

And, in theory, the controllers could still have their own batteries and work when detached, so you could use them like a totally wireless Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

There is another option, which already popped up in an older Nintendo patent application involving slotting in controller parts, which is using NFC technology, much like this:
https://youtu.be/sJ773vbkU3I

Eradicate

Unless Nintendo can make this concept super user friendly it seems like a bothersome device. Can you imagine how shit it would be if you lost one part of the controller? As matter of fact, this makes it seem even less portable than any other device Nintendo has made. Having detachable parts makes me think this thing isn't going to fit in my pocket like a DS or 3DS. I'm just imagining having to keep the portable in a bag because of the detachable parts. Now if it gets a really secure connection, that's great, but unless the attachable parts are the same sizes of the console itself it'll feel terrible in someone's pocket...kinda of like the Circle Pad Pro...

Well, they could sell a clamshell collector's case with their different characters on it, with the top part having slots that can fit in the controller attachments in and keep them together and secure!

Just thought of something completely ridiculous. What if this thing can project an image while in dock mode? So imagine the thing is docked, any you have the game running on the TV, but the handheld portion is sending a hologram like image from the device that's intractable with hand gestures? It'll be like having a second screen experience...without having a second screen.

That would be really awesome! There's lots of neat things they could do with that! Imagine a "real" Navi that pops up and yells at you! Now THAT'S AR!

I want holographic Tupac to comment on my terrible gameplay!

There is another option, which already popped up in an older Nintendo patent application involving slotting in controller parts, which is using NFC technology, much like this:
https://youtu.be/sJ773vbkU3I

This is really awesome! I never heard of this before! Didn't think about NFC being able to play a role somehow!

This is really awesome! I never heard of this before! Didn't think about NFC being able to play a role somehow!

It's what I was guessing it would use the other day, maybe it still will but I hadn't thought of this optical method, I guess optical will be cheaper for the peripheral end. Analog should work too, The pressure sensitivity in batteryless Wacom pens works in a similar way I think.

It actually makes specific allowances for the attachments to possibly have electrical components (allowing them to theoretically operate independently) and connect to other devices besides the portable
(like...a TV dock, although that isn't specified - really, this could be abstracted to refer to pretty much anything)

Cool, thanks.

This stuff sounds really great.

I'm excited to see what they're cooking up cause this doesn't make any sense to me. Why would I want detachable controllers on a portable? Just have a wireless controller at home where I'd use it and make a normal handheld.

Wow wtf.

Talk about thinking...out of the box 😎

I'm plugging my own article here, but I spent some time digging through these patents thanks to this thread and have put together a pretty comprehensive overview of what (I think) it all means:

http://www.n-sider.com/blog/2016/08/nintendos-nx-could-be-a-super-game-watch
I want this opinion of the patents to be true. Being described as a "Super Game & Watch" seems to be a perfect fit. I love all kinds of input devices as it reminds me of the good ol' arcade days of the 80's where some games used paddles and others used trackballs. It was a very interesting time for input devices. I think Nintendo excels in this type of thing nowadays as well. The possibilities for this tech gets me really excited to see what Nintendo and third parties come up with. September can't come soon enough!

It's fascinating technology, coming from someone who took only one computer engineering class in university. How it'll be implemented in the NX, if at all, though, is where it'll get really interesting. At its base level (using it for input), Nintendo won't have to immediately worry about losing tons of money. I guess. :p

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
This is probably just a throwaway line, but reading through the patent language again, I stumbled on this, paraphrased:

The connection device described can apply to a portable device such as mobile telephones, smart phones, or a portable game device with the aim of providing an accessory with a simple configuration.

Certainly just a point of speculation, but one could envision the little "sensor array" being a packaged set of components that is integrated with or a part of another manufacturer's smartphone or something of Nintendo's own creation, the benefit of which is really just the system for easily connecting control attachments. Maybe this offers another audience avenue (smartphone with connectors for playing a certain number of games, dedicated portable for more, home console for all).

If you remove the inside of this controller you could potentially place it in your own custom made controller. But knowing Nintendo whatever they offer will be very comfortable to hold anyway, so this is probably unnecessary...

Pffft lol. The 3DS was NOT comfortable for me, neither was the GBA or GB Micro (can forgive the Micro though cos its awesome!)

rPNCqww.jpg

Yes...there it is

A. White. Box.

Bad sarcasm aside, there is a lot of interesting trinkets going into this device. GPS? Projector?

AR with cheap £1/$1 Clear Glasses?

Well, the patent controller uses movable parts that are read by an infrared camera, it doesn't seem to have any electronics at all. The patent's purpose seems to have of a means of communicating with very cheap interchangeable controllers.

Add a scroll wheel and get a throwback to Marble Madness!

The capability to read the movement of the parts using an infrared camera doesn't use any electronics.

But that doesn't mean the device that supports this capability can't also have basic internal electronics for disconnected use.

I think the #1 benefit of this application is actually that there doesn't need to be a direct circuit between the accessory and the portable that's exposed when not in use, and the accessories don't need to draw a lot of power while in use with the portable. Communication is handled through IR.

If these add-on controls really can work as separate controllers, it'll be really nice to only have to worry about them being charged during TV use and not on the go.

Sounds great.

Maybe it's the lack of creativity in me, but I can't see any real positive uses for that projector. I think we all know how little 3rd parties would actually take advantage of something like that.

What kind of projector can a device like this have? I mean projection quality.

The projector I think is for some kind of control scheme.

Yeah, maybe hand gestures or AR with cheap £1/$1 Clear Glasses?

Not sure what kind of quality we'd get though...

Metal B

From the sound of the patent, the detachable parts are just mechanic constructs, there are no electronic part in them. This would make them very cheap to produce. I could see, Nintendo bundling special controllers for different games, which have an unique controll mechanic or gimmick, since they would be cheap to produce. For example a controller with GameCube face-buttons for Smash Brothers for NX.
This could be great gimmicks for games, make then unique on the market and it's a very playful approache, which fits the toy company Nintendo.

i was thinking the exact same thing, using a camera to measure displacement. However, it wasn't with the intention to reduce costs or simplifying the connection with a detachable part as Nintendo is doing here.

My idea to use a camera has mainly to do with thumbsticks. A low profile thumbstick that displaces horizontally instead of titling, can detect different degrees of preasure in the Z axis and works more closely like a normal button.

Since a camera is very precise measuring the state of the circle pad or stick, the program can interpret different displacements in the Z axis to register as a button press. So the safe measures to prevent accidental clicks would be this and a slight initial resistance to the button press.

So in theory one ends with a more confortable stick to operate, has analog measuring in the Z axis and reduces thumb movement considerably since the finger is always ontop of a more usable button.

Top Bottom