• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

Hmm, would it need software updates for new controllers then to know how to interpret the new controller layout?

Man, this is such a simple but cool idea :D How come no one thought of this before?

Presumably the application software would be able to tell it what to check for.

Hmm, would it need software updates for new controllers then to know how to interpret the new controller layout?

Only a problem if you try to play an old game with a newer controller design, but an online update could allow that.
Alternatively you could have some configuration pattern image inside like a barcode that can tell it how to interpret a new design, but that's getting kind of silly.

I don't see why it wouldn't, if they engineer something (like a small protrusion mirroring the nub on the stick, or that just moves into the same position as the nub if they go with Circle Pads) onto the underside of the stick that the IR sensor can see and track. There'd be many more positions to record than just pressed/depressed, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

If this is able to detect more than on/off positions, you'd still need 2 of these moving pieces to represent an analog stick. These pieces would use quite a bit of space to replicate the same amount of movement of the stick. You'd also need the stick to work like a usual electronic stick and also move the bits a the same time. I guess it could technically work, but it would be pretty bulky. At that point it would be better for Nintendo to engineer some solution to the exposed contacts/damage issue you mentioned.

Eradicate

Man, this is such a simple but cool idea :D How come no one thought of this before?

This is really cool! Skitzzo0413 seems to be right on the money though. Check this part out:

The process to be performed in accordance with the type of the detected marker may be of any content. The process performed in step S22 may be, for example, a process of launching a predetermined application program with which the operation device 20 can be used. The process performed in step S22 may be a process of obtaining a predetermined application program with which the operation device 20 can be used. That is, the control section 14 may access a predetermined external device (e.g., a server capable of communicating with the portable device 1 via a network) to obtain the application program. Then, the obtained application program may be executed automatically. The process performed in step S22 may be a process of obtaining a web page from a server and displaying the web page on the display 2. For example, the web page to be displayed may be a web page for downloading an application program, or an advertisement of the vendor of the operation device 20.

Note that the control section 14 may change the type of the process to be performed depending on the type of the marker detected. That is, depending on the type of the marker detected, the control section 14 may perform one of the process of launching an application program, the process of obtaining an application program, and the process of displaying a web page. Depending on the type of the marker detected, the control section 14 may change the content of the process within the same process type. That is, depending on the type of the marker detected, the control section 14 may change the application program to be launched, change the application program to be obtained, or change the web page to be displayed.

I guess the system itself could store control methods for Nintendo's standard controller modules. But, with that bit about advertisements from other vendors, if other companies are making pieces, it looks like you could download it then. Or, maybe it's contained in the game and just recognizes when you've got the "right" controller type!

Eradicate

Only a problem if you try to play an old game with a newer controller design, but an online update could allow that.
Alternatively you could have some configuration pattern image inside like a barcode that can tell it how to interpret a new design, but that's getting kind of silly.

Haha, hate to double post, but I just read this part:

FIG. 18 shows an example captured image obtained by the infrared camera 4 according to the present variation. As shown in FIG. 18, according to the present variation, when the infrared camera 4 captures an image of the inside of the housing 21, the captured image includes an image 35 of a process marker, in addition to the reference marker image 30 and the movable portion images 31A to 31D. The shape of the process marker may be any shape. For example, the process marker may be a two-dimensional bar code.

Maybe you can scan in grocery bar codes and play F2P games, like Chips Ahoy Tetris.

Haha, hate to double post, but I just read this part:

Maybe you can scan in grocery bar codes and play F2P games, like Chips Ahoy Tetris.

lol I'm going to have to read this thing more closely. Have seen them talking about barcode scanning before, guessing just an identifier code rather than a list of instructions but I'll have a proper look.

It's pretty funny that the (or one of) hardware gimmick for their next handheld would essentially be based on the clunky afterthought that was the Circle Pad Pro.

This thing is going to be amazing. Man, what a sad day it would be if this thing failed and really put Nintendo in a hard bind.

Attitude Detection section? Maaaaaybe those labels are just placeholders. Then again, this is Nintendo.

KingBroly

Banned
How pissed would people be if NX, instead of hooking into a TV via HDMI, just projected itself onto a bigger surface? lol

;_; damnit Nintendo

This thing is going to be amazing. Man, what a sad day it would be if this thing failed and really put Nintendo in a hard bind.

Attitude Detection section? Maaaaaybe those labels are just placeholders. Then again, this is Nintendo.

Rosti already pointed out that "Attitude" is a technical term for the relative position of the device. I wish it just meant actual attitude. Nintendo could provide a pair of cool sunglasses with each NX.

Eradicate

Rosti already pointed out that "Attitude" is a technical term for the relative position of the device. I wish it just meant actual attitude. Nintendo could provide a pair of cool sunglasses with each NX.

LOL!!! And different sunglasses could provide an attitude adjustment!

This is... neat, I guess. Something like this could enable Nintendo's desire to allow for fully custom controls - just slide the pieces onto the device in whichever configuration you like. Although I can't imagine how the ergonomics would work. I have some concerns regarding how precise, consistent, and responsive controls enabled by this approach might be.

but my biggest concern is this - you can't do an analog stick that way. It couldn't work. And that alone is enough to have me believe that this patent doesn't apply to the NX's final control solution.

doowrah

This is... neat, I guess. Something like this could enable Nintendo's desire to allow for fully custom controls - just slide the pieces onto the device in whichever configuration you like. Although I can't imagine how the ergonomics would work. I have some concerns regarding how precise, consistent, and responsive controls enabled by this approach might be.

but my biggest concern is this - you can't do an analog stick that way. It wouldn't work.

Circle pad pro?

Bear in mind I'm a huge Nintendo fan and currently plan to buy an NX....but these images look terrible. Just overcomplicating things, really.

Circle pad pro?

That's not how the Circle Pad Pro works, though.

^^ thanks Lex.

Although, since you mention it, taking the CCP approach for just the analog stick, while the rest of the buttons utilize the approach described in this patent, could still drastically reduce battery consumption. Even to an extent that you wouldn't need to ever charge those controls - just pop in a new AAA battery every year or so, kind of like the way the CCP works now.

Peltz

This is a very ingenious idea... I believe we had a thread some time ago about customizable controllers/handhelds and this is a very smart way to achieve it.

There shouldn't be any latency with the IR sensing, though the device processing each input might be an issue. Hopefully that causes no latency.

Otherwise this is a very neat idea and it gives me some hope that the NX ergonomics won't be a pain in the ass like the original 3DS was (were?).

Also as usual patent images in no way represent final products, etc. etc.
Yea so... My hands can't be covering the buttons and I have to keep the face of the controller within a line of sight to the camera at all times? How is that a good idea?

doowrah

Is there anything that would actually stop them from combining this with the traditional IR blasting they've used before? The emitters in the base unit obviously can read the return signal, so could also read an input signal. Controller portions could be simple button/D-pad sections like for virtual console with strictly this tech. But you could have powered components with analog sticks but still use this for buttons as an energy saving technique.

Paul Gale

Circle Pad Pro still had some electrical components and required a battery.

18j11f6p9wr4ljpgm0sk5.jpg

Thanks man.

A while back I made this video: https://youtu.be/yXn8VuC7QIU explaining how the NX may have multiple control outputs, different faceplates, etc., lending towards a name of "Nintendo Infinite" for an infinite amount of possibilities. I came up with an NX Infinite logo too, which if you turn on its side, becomes an hour glass. Imagine that as a pixel-dropping animation for loading.

I of course made this video before recent rumors/patents came out, but some of the content seems like it might be holding up. Any thoughts?

A built-in projector makes more sense when I think of that "novelty" comment from the Eurogamer or MCV article.

Yeah, play it on the go in tablet mode by yourself. When you get to your friend's house, detach the controllers for two players and the projector shows a much larger screen on the wall. No TV required....Looking at this from a kid angle and Japan, it makes sense.

EDIT - Of course there will be a docking station at home with a traditional HDMI port.

What kind of projector can a device like this have? I mean projection quality.

The projector I think is for some kind of control scheme.

Yeah, play it on the go in tablet mode by yourself. When you get to your friend's house, detach the controllers for two players and the projector shows a much larger screen on the wall. No TV required....Looking at this from a kid angle and Japan, it makes sense.

EDIT - Of course there will be a docking station at home with a traditional HDMI port.

Yeah, as an on-the-go multiplayer option, being able to project an image is a pretty cool idea. But not having an option for traditional TV play would be crazy, so if anything, NX will have both.

God, each time a thread like this pops up, the wait gets more unbearable.

majik13

Would GAF rage, if none or very few of these patents and rumors were used for NX?

Like all we get is a self contained gamepad style handheld or something.

I have a hard time believing that all this cool and interesting patents and suggestions will see the light of day, or will be used in significant ways that we are imagining.

Anyways still excited, just trying to keep my expectations in check. Pre Nintendo HW reveals are always the most exciting.

Man, I'm just getting around to delving into these patents, but it's interesting that Nintendo might be rolling w/ the IR camera for all this. Lines up with the Digitimes rumor that PixArt are once again involved with Nintendo hardware.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Would GAF rage, if none or very few of these patents and rumors were used for NX?

Like all we get is a self contained gamepad style handheld or something.

I have a hard time believing that all this cool and interesting patents and suggestions will see the light of day, or will be used in significant ways that we are imagining.

Anyways still excited, just trying to keep my expectation sin check.

I'm definitely not holding my breath for SCDs at all.

The controller design was known by this point. This image you're showing is a patent for a charging stand.

Yes, I know, but it's still an example of a patent showing a finished product.

Edit: Although, I think that the final version of the Wii U gamepad was also known through a patent before it was revealed, but everyone thought it was an old version.

brad-t

Why do people keep bringing up Pokémon Go? NX's killer app isn't going to be a game that is already available for free on devices everyone already owns and carries with them.

I don't know if this contradicts the DOCK TO TV part of the rumors. But it certainly contradicts the notion that the parts turn into smaller multiplayer controllers.

It doesn't really contradict that, because it refers to the control parts as "attachments" in at least some of the embodiments. The base unit can still come with controllers with batteries and circuitry but this invention can be represented by attachments you can buy which fit different control schemes.

but my biggest concern is this - you can't do an analog stick that way. It couldn't work. And that alone is enough to have me believe that this patent doesn't apply to the NX's final control solution.

As others have seemed to imply, you can put a little nub on the bottom portion of the analog stick/circle pad which reflects the IR light and assuming the sensor is precise enough it can determine the exact rotational coordinates of the stick/pad. Should not be much of a problem.

Edit: Or the analog sticks are always on the portable portion and don't detach. That's another option I guess.

Yea so... My hands can't be covering the buttons and I have to keep the face of the controller within a line of sight to the camera at all times? How is that a good idea?

...I think you're misunderstanding the concept- this attachment "clips" onto to the portable device similarly to the 3DS circle pad pro. Covering the buttons with your finger causes no problems because the portable device is emitting and sensing the reflective portions of the buttons inside the casing of the control portion which you should not be able to interfere with.

Somnid

Makes a lot of sense and very Nintendo. Cheap tech repurposed in unique ways. Given this is about the 4th time they've patented optical sensors in the side of device I think it's very likely they may implement and the NX rumors do fit with it (as well as swappable components).

This is both cheap to produce, cheap on battery, and cheap to expand on with various pieces. It's also interesting it gives them other abilities on top of it for tracking motion and gestures.

As far as the component diagram. I think using off the shelf phone parts is likely so you'd get some of this for free or low cost but I don't think it's meant to be illustrative but rather throw things at the wall to make sure all embodiments are covered.

Peterc

How pissed would people be if NX, instead of hooking into a TV via HDMI, just projected itself onto a bigger surface? lol

;_; damnit Nintendo

What about this:

[0074] The projector 8 includes a light source for emitting visible light, and projects text, an image, etc., onto a projection plane (a screen or the hand of a user as will be described later) by using light from the light source.
Nobody is talking about it, but what could this mean?

predictables-hand-projection-set-468x472.jpg

iwatch-concept-005.jpg

Something like this?:p

It doesn't really contradict that, because it refers to the control parts as "attachments" in at least some of the embodiments. The base unit can still come with controllers with batteries and circuitry but this invention can be represented by attachments you can buy which fit different control schemes.

The main problem is that you have to take those attachments OUT to use them for multiplayer and it looks liek these clip ons are just pure plastic components sensed by IR and if its a concept for the controllers themselves, they can't be battery powered.

The main problem is that you have to take those attachments OUT to use them for multiplayer and it looks liek these clip ons are just pure plastic components sensed by IR and if its a concept for the controllers themselves, they can't be battery powered.

Right, which is why I said this isn't necessarily a concept for the controllers themselves- it's more likely a concept for attachments. The normal controllers can have batteries and bluetooth capabilities which let them talk to the console, and can be removed such that these attachments can be attached for other purposes (different control schemes, user customization, etc.).

What kind of projector can a device like this have? I mean projection quality.

The projector I think is for some kind of control scheme.

I'd imagine it would get quite expensive, but for what it's worth, Nintendo were also considering a projector for the QOL Sleep Tracker device. I wouldn't bank on anything more than one of those laser virtual keyboards, and even that might be too costly. Cool stuff, though. I can't wait to see what Nintendo have in store.

I'll quote this a million times until people stop making this mistake.

Note that it is not necessary that the operation device 20 be a device including no electrical configuration. In other embodiments, the operation device 20 may include an electrical configuration such as an electronic circuit. For example, the operation device 20 may include a communication section for communicating with another information processing device different from the portable device 1 to which it is attached. The operation device 20 may be electrically connected to the portable device 1, and may for example include a speaker for receiving a sound signal from the portable device 1 to output sounds. Even in the case of an electrical configuration as described above, it is possible according to the embodiment above to simplify the configuration of the operation device regarding the configuration for the operation section.

It is not necessary for the controllers to not have any battery powered components under all circumstances of use to execute this patent. All that is required is that the controller use this IR method of communicating control inputs to a portable device, and this method doesn't require any electrical configuration.

If the controllers can also talk to another device (say, a portable that's plugged in/on a dock and displaying on a TV), that's a scenario that the patent actually describes!

But it also could in a way that means battery doesn't drain when combined, so potentially you could have a remote controller with as battery and physical OFF switch, that just works regardless when it's connected via the optics.

This is basically what I'm imagining, based on this + the Eurogamer report.

Isn't that taking this patent a bit too literally? I've been thinking that this just implies merely one of the solutions they could implement in the NX detachable controllers. I don't think it means it's the only thing.

Edit: Lex beat me to it with even more detail -

I'll quote this a million times until people stop making this mistake.

It is not necessary for the controllers to not have any battery powered components under all circumstances of use to execute this patent. All that is required is that the controller use this IR method of communicating control inputs to a portable device, and this method doesn't require any electrical configuration.

If the controllers can also talk to another device (say, a portable that's plugged in/on a dock and displaying on a TV), that's a scenario that the patent actually describes!

Right, which is why I said this isn't necessarily a concept for the controllers themselves- it's more likely a concept for attachments. The normal controllers can have batteries and bluetooth capabilities which let them talk to the console, and can be removed such that these attachments can be attached for other purposes (different control schemes, user customization, etc.).

But it also could in a way that means battery doesn't drain when combined, so potentially you could have a remote controller with as battery and physical OFF switch, that just works regardless when it's connected via the optics.

Top Bottom