• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo(?) Patent Application - Handheld with outward-facing linear image sensors

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You apparently think very little of me to assume I'm being sincere and not mocking the people in the last NX patent thread.
I actually singled you out because I do think better of you so I was surprised by it!

Didn't read the last patent thread. Sounds typical though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Have people accepted the NX is going to be a portable yet?

Sou Da

Isn't Fumihiko a girl's name?

1276760647128.jpg

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I think you're months late to the fact that its multiple devices, one of which is a handheld.

I mean, I was saying Nintendo was going to switch to an iTouch/iPad model the month the WiiU started tanking but... sure.

We'll see if they take it to the real eye opener step and go hybrid by turning the WiiU tech backwards but might be a generation too soon for that I guess.

Dr. Buni

It detects amiibo nearby, interesting.
Lol. Now that I think, it is only natural that the next hardware will have even more focus on amiibos. It will come to a point that Nintendo will sell half of a game and the other half will be only accessible via amiibos.
And naturally, people will defend Nintendo :p
Have people accepted the NX is going to be a portable yet?
I am hoping it is both a console and a handheld.

Vena

I mean, I was saying Nintendo was going to switch to an iTouch/iPad model the month the WiiU started tanking but... sure.

We'll see if they take it to the real eye opener step and go hybrid by turning the WiiU tech backwards but might be a generation too soon for that I guess.

That isn't what I was responding to. The acceptance of people came over a month ago and has been Nintendo's own internal narrative since the mobile announcement last year, it is multiple form-factors all unified under common development and OS environments.

That's interesting, I'll be massaging my Handheld a lot! ;)

It's also interesting how people conclude that NX is either a Handheld or Console....or both when Nintendo hasn't said anything yet.

weekev

Banned
The vitality sensor like functionality seems like a nice way to enhance the experience depending on your pulse.
Yep and the fact its on 4 sides could create some interesting multiplayer games eg, establish a base pulse, then play some scenes with jumpy fright scenes and whoever comes closest to maintaining their pulse wins.

Neoxon

That's interesting, I'll be massaging my Handheld a lot! ;)

It's also interesting how people conclude that NX is either a Handheld or Console....or both when Nintendo hasn't said anything yet.
Actually Iwata has made statements about wanting the console & handheld to be "like brothers". Couple that with the recent patent (the one with the disc-less system) that explicitly mentions scalable software, Nintendo uniting their console & handheld development teams, & Iwata's use of iOS as an example of what he was talking about with the "like brothers" quote, & you have some viable ground for the shared NX Platform theory.

Actually Iwata has made statements about wanting the console & handheld to be "like brothers". Couple that with the recent patent (the one with the disc-less system) that explicitly mentions scalable software, Nintendo uniting their console & handheld development teams, & Iwata's use of iOS as an example of what he was talking about with the "like brothers" quote, & you have some viable ground for the shared NX Platform theory.

WSMB_Wiggums_Dream.png

I think with all the patents that have come out we can say one thing about the NX for sure. You can turn it sideways to play games in portrait mode.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think with all the patents that have come out we can say one thing about the NX for sure. You can turn it sideways to play games in portrait mode.

It will be good for touch screen gaming! One of their goals I imagine will be to try to attract mobile indies to their platform and this will be one way to do it. Could create overlap with them in tablets and phones to get people to crossover easier to their platform and sell them premium content.

Not to mention it could allow for backwards compatibility with 3DS and DS games.

Somnid

This is neither outlandish, nor something super hard to do with current tech and seems to have some good use cases. Seems like a prime candidate for something that could be made into an actual product.

Neoxon

This is neither outlandish, nor something super hard to do with current tech and seems to have some good use cases. Seems like a prime candidate for something that could be made into an actual product.
The only issue is how this would work with existing Amiibos.

so many goddamn patents you'd think the NX controller was a magical shapeshifting demon.

That being said the fact that this controller mock-up doesn't have analog sticks does NOT mean the final product would not have analog sticks. The patent is for the concept, not the product.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It will be good for touch screen gaming! One of their goals I imagine will be to try to attract mobile indies to their platform and this will be one way to do it. Could create overlap with them in tablets and phones to get people to crossover easier to their platform and sell them premium content.

Not to mention it could allow for backwards compatibility with 3DS and DS games.

Seems like it could also double as a Wii U gamepad-like device for backwards compatibility etc

Oppo

that's pretty interesting.

like a flat plane LeapMotion style sensor, with low res imaging. enough for a bar code anyway.

I wonder if it would have plastic mats or markers of some kind for the pointer sensing areas.

Somnid

The only issue is how this would work with existing Amiibos.

I don't think there is any expectation for 2 year-old amiibos to have full compatibility with something like this. Obviously they'd print new lines with barcode bases if they did something like this.

L Thammy

You guys do realize these patents are to show a new concept of a device, not to show how many buttons and control sticks are on the controller...

Got to be honest though, not liking this patent. I can't think of applications for this to appeal to me.

There are two things here that seem particularly notable.

1. This patent includes the ability to detect how the system is held. This would probably work better if the button placement for the system had a Wonderswan type design, i.e., was meant to be used both vertically and horizontally. You could have shooters with a vertical orientation, better layout for puzzle games, etc.

2. The system can detect where your finger is along the side, so it can probably be used like a kind of slider or throttle, where you adjust a setting by moving your finger up or down.

so many goddamn patents you'd think the NX controller was a magical shapeshifting demon.

That's actually probably not too far off. If it's a platform without a single specific hardware design.

I doubt backwards compatibility, how would you use the buttons?

Oersted

- Space Pointer Function - For example if the device is positioned on a desk, these sensors can detect location/distance of finger (sliding on desk on side of device) and move cursor/character accordingly
- Side Surface Touching Operation - When holding the device in hands, these sensors can detect touch (e.g slide finger up/down to zoom)

I like the sound of that, but I'm not quite sure yet why lol

Top Bottom