• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo(?) Patent Application - Handheld with outward-facing linear image sensors

jholmes

Nintendo's been making shitty gimmick consoles since the SNES. Just look at that awful controller. X and Y? L and R? What happened to C, D, E and F? Why do we even need all these buttons? Just stick to the industry standard.

The worst gimmick console was the NES. I want a manly man's console with a joystick, but this thing has a D-pad like a baby's toy.

Also they put this select button on the controller but Nintendo's own games don't even support it half the time! I expect they'll release a SKU with the select button removed to help bring down the price any day now.

mouse.png

Foolworm

To be honest, image sensors sound more like a QoL/data pickup gimmick rather than an actual control input.

I'm most worried about too many methods of control input leading to some wonky control schemes. I think the Vita suffered for it.

Incidentally, why did it take so long for Nintendo to come up with scrolling shoulder buttons? I mean, mice have been using clickable wheels for years.

Terrell

Your second paragraph argues against your own point. The Wii is also the best selling Nintendo console because it did away with controls for legacy games. So no people in general don't care. Maybe people whom identify as gamers cared but we see how little ther overblown concerns mattered in the end.

If the console does have buttons then there is even less of a problem with the controls then you are making it out to be.

Yeah, and the market that made it the best selling Nintendo console is gone. What we're left with in the core market, the people who took a hot deuce all over the idea when it was unveiled and demoed as "unnecessary waggle", by and large. So perhaps there's something to be said about alienating that group in this industry, yes? So my apologies for not including the fickle consumer that dropped Nintendo like a hot potato 5 years later, what was I thinking not calculating in a group of people who aren't even part of the console market by and large anymore?

But if the idea is to hold it in portrait, you lose the buttons. And if you hold it in landscape, I hope you have a magnifying glass handy since everything will still be much smaller visually no matter where you divide the 2 screens up, even on a 5" screen.
Compromises exist, no matter where you look at them. And if you think people don't care about how a game looks when it's played, this must be your first day observing the games industry.

Snakeyes

Just put a revamped Solo Remix version of TWEWY that takes advantage of the face buttons to control your partner on the eShop, problem solved.

Yeah, and the market that made it the best selling Nintendo console is gone. What we're left with in the core market, the people who took a hot deuce all over the idea when it was unveiled and demoed as "unnecessary waggle", by and large. So perhaps there's something to be said about alienating that group in this industry, yes? So my apologies for not including the fickle consumer that dropped Nintendo like a hot potato 5 years later, what was I thinking not calculating in a group of people who aren't even part of the console market by and large anymore?

But if the idea is to hold it in portrait, you lose the buttons. And if you hold it in landscape, I hope you have a magnifying glass handy since everything will still be much smaller visually no matter where you divide the 2 screens up, even on a 5" screen.
Compromises exist, no matter where you look at them. And if you think people don't care about how a game looks when it's played, this must be your first day observing the games industry.

Well the core market isn't biting even with the standard controller layout on the Wii U. 3rd parties aren't even making games on it even though it has your precious standard layout.

You can deride the casual market all you want. At least they bought the Nintendo console and some games for it. Nintendo can bend over backwards to please this insignificant but loud internet complainers like yourself but that certainly didn't make Wii U the best selling Nintendo console now has it.

No one will be talking about how TWEWY or DS games in general look when the NX comes out except for complainers like yourself who just can't be satisfied. People only care about the shiny and new in this games industry.

Neospartan

Neo Member
So... if I understand this correctly, this is basically a tablet/"gaming apparatus" that uses the linear image sensor as a device-rotation detector, NFC reader, and touchscreen (without actually having to touch the screen) all at the same time?

Top Bottom