• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Nintendo should've became the Disney of Videogames in the Gamecube Era. Its about time. That being said, I doubt the NX will be a success.

They should have done it much much sooner than that... Nintendo in the late 80's and early 90's was everywhere... They let their license out to everything and their name was everywhere... That is when they should have been pushing theme parks and such.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, Uprising has at least 4 different factions that are at "war" (Palutena, Hades, Viridi and Aliens, not counting the humans of course), so there's definitely material to write a season or two. There are many characters with quite defined personalities and interests, so there's material for interesting conversations and funny moments. Besides, there are also many other elements from Greek mythology that could be explored if they want more material.

I think it could work!
I guess my thought process was less "Could you convert this?" and more "Could you convert this and have it be successful?"

Making the anime itself actually seems like a pretty obvious fit. I'm just not sure if it's something that would succeed in the domestic market.

I guess my thought process was less "Could you convert this?" and more "Could you convert this and have it be successful?"

Making the anime itself actually seems like a pretty obvious fit. I'm just not sure if it's something that would succeed in the domestic market.

To add on to this, you could also pick the most appropriate thing and without the right animation studio, writers, and directors, it could end up a boring slog to watch. This is why people get so antsy in the time between an animated adaptation of a manga being announced and when the studio doing it is revealed.

Basically, everything down the chain needs to align.

Ansatz

If you say so Mr Insider. Some details maybe what we can await?

It's pretty obvious with all the talk about reaching high profit levels and using Nintendo characters in mobile games that we are not getting a capable home console in the $400 range that aims to establish an ecosystem where AAA multiplats sell well.

They are likely treating the successor to Wii U as a niche SKU, while focusing on portable efforts (handheld and mobile) because that's what dominates in Japan. I hope the notion of SNES 2.0 dies with NX so we can move on from that once and for all.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Man, if the first NX details/system released is the Handheld... that's going to be really disappointing to me. Maybe I'm in the minority, though. Fully expected them to release a brand new home console at the end of this year. But if it's just the handheld...? Meh

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hopefully they don't include BC. Leave that terrible hardware in it's grave. Move on to something new for once. Actually create a new piece of hardware for the first time in a decade. The 3DS was pretty much a suped up DS and the Wii U was pretty much a small increase in power from the Wii. Now that Iwata is gone, time to actually innovate.

Now that Iwata is gone, time to actually innovate.

Jesus, man...

Skelter

Banned
Studio Ghibli Zelda movie pls

I choose this.

1.jpg

studio-ghibli-x-legend-of-zelda-2.jpg

studio-ghibli-x-legend-of-zelda-4.jpg

Splatoon, Zelda or Kid Icarus anime would be great. We got a little taste of Kid Icarus anime with those shorts on the old Nintendo Video, and the trailer for Palutena. I'd say that's the likeliest route they go for.

I figure Pokemon Go would be the likely choice of a debut app for smartphones; Pokemon is one of Nintendo's biggest franchise, its the 20th anniversary, and people have been looking forward to Go since it was announced.

Oersted

It's pretty obvious with all the talk about reaching high profit levels and using Nintendo characters in mobile games that we are not getting a capable home console in the $400 range that aims to establish an ecosystem where AAA multiplats sell well.

They are likely treating the successor to Wii U as a niche SKU, while focusing on portable efforts (handheld and mobile) because that's what dominates in Japan. I hope the notion of SNES 2.0 dies with NX so we can move on from that once and for all.

I'm very likely dead wrong, but are you talking out of your ass?

jmizzal

Based on how they are packing the WiiU 1st half of 2016 games schedule, NX 2016 seems very likely

Pokken coming out the same month as Zelda TP HD and Star Fox right after it

DooMAGE

Hopefully they don't include BC. Leave that terrible hardware in it's grave. Move on to something new for once. Actually create a new piece of hardware for the first time in a decade. The 3DS was pretty much a suped up DS and the Wii U was pretty much a small increase in power from the Wii. Now that Iwata is gone, time to actually innovate.

Oh is the same guy shitposting in a Nintendo thread and being rude.
Even better is that he can do this and nothing happens :)

Anth0ny

People aren't going to move on from SNES 2.0 as long as the competition continues to dominate with a similar strategy and Nintendo continues to fail with their "no relevant third party support" strategy.

Ansatz

I'm very likely dead wrong, but are you talking out of your ass?

Good thing I'm not a journalist, nor afraid of being incorrect. Do you know what my nickname even means?
educated guess

Also I should add we have not heard any noise yet, which would have been the case had Nintendo reached out for western 3rd party support. NX reveal is happening in a couple of months, and that's when Nintendo will outline their strategy, so if there is a big initiative to regain the PS4/XBO multiplat gamer we would have heard something by now.

New ideas are cool and all but what about Metroid, Nintendo? Hmm???

We're never getting a new and legitimately good Metroid ever again now, are we?

Scum

I hope they include manga too. They are already have localisation teams, innit.

I just see Smartphones and Animes (MOM Anime?) good job N fans :(
Eh? Nothing to worry about, mate. NCL are diversifying. Just doing something they should have been doing years ago.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
If you follow the pattern of previous Nintendo hardware, generally you've got a announcement, reveal, and then release each consecutive year.

For instance, the Wii U was first announced in 2010, revealed in 2011 and released in 2012.

Assuming the NX follows suit, it was announced last year, it'll get a full reveal this year, and will be released next year.

Jesus, man...

And? Iwata didn't want to innovate from the Wii. That is why we had the Wii U. Many folks like myself want actual innovation and now that he is gone, that is much more likely. Often times it takes the exit of a CEO for actual change to come and that is what's taking place now.

Iwata was a business man, a CEO of a company that has had many highs and oh so many lows and he's been responsible for many of those. My issue is regarding the BUSINESS of Nintendo and how out of touch those at the top have been for nearly a decade. Let me guess, Iwata didn't have a hand in keeping Nintendo out of the online revolution that took place on the Xbox and Playstation a decade ago. Iwata didn't have a hand in why an account system is still missing from Nintendo hardware.

If you want to honor the man and the good things he has done, do it. But don't act as though he was responsible for many negatives as well which hopefully will change now.

What the fuck...

I was going to argue with you about that PS3 comment given there's some merit (WiiU CPU much worse than Cell, WiiU GPU much better than) but you had to end it as you did.

At GAF we try to keep it classier than "Yay he's dead! Now clean up his mess."

So it's not a successor.

Hard translation from google:

Message to the fans? (and not to the mainstream.)

Edit :

Just want to say (again). There should be something special with this system.
It's just not an upgraded controller from the patents. It should be something more gameplay related.

Why do people keep getting hung up on the word "successor" and how it's spun? If it's a new Nintendo system that plays new Nintendo games then it's the successor. The only way NX wouldn't be the "successor" is if NX was just some side tier project and Nintendo kept making major Wii U games for another 2-3 years.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
A lot of you are not going to like the new Nintendo.

That's what's so scary.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo is on top of the game right now as far as quality is concerned. I love 'em now more than possibly ever before, and the thought that they're going to have to change from that to be profitable is scary as fuck.

And? Iwata didn't want to innovate from the Wii. That is why we had the Wii U. Many folks like myself want actual innovation and now that he is gone, that is much more likely. Often times it takes the exit of a CEO for actual change to come and that is what's taking place now.

Iwata was a business man, a CEO of a company that has had many highs and oh so many lows and he's been responsible for many of those. My issue is regarding the BUSINESS of Nintendo and how out of touch those at the top have been for nearly a decade. Let me guess, Iwata didn't have a hand in keeping Nintendo out of the online revolution that took place on the Xbox and Playstation a decade ago. Iwata didn't have a hand in why an account system is still missing from Nintendo hardware.

If you want to honor the man and the good things he has done, do it. But don't act as though he was responsible for many negatives as well which hopefully will change now.
Despite the failures of Wii U, I don't think you can argue it's the result of a "refusal to innovate from Wii." Wii and Wii U differ wildly in ideology even though they share similar name, aesthetic, and even games. It's ridiculous to claim Nintendo has not innovated when they're arguably the company who changes the most between generations. If you want Nintendo to follow Sony and Microsoft, then that's fine. I welcome a more powerful system, a functional account system, and a more robust online infrastructure, but let's not pretend that that path will somehow be more "innovative" than their past endeavors. It's fine to criticize Iwata, but most people are probably taking offense to your posts because they suggest you're actually happy that he has passed.

Ekai

That's what's so scary.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo is on top of the game right now as far as quality is concerned. I love 'em now more than possibly ever before, and the thought that they're going to have to change from that to be profitable is scary as fuck.

Partially this. I've always loved Nintendo stuff. They're the only ones constantly innovating, taking chances, and in my view succeeding with what they try most of the time. Plus I always have the most fun with their stuff/their third party releases that are constantly ignored by the masses (Wii anyone? that system had so many damn gems on it). That said, I like to try to be optimistic. All this talk of mobile does make me question where they're going.

Despite the failures of Wii U, I don't think you can argue it's the result of a "refusal to innovate from Wii." Wii and Wii U differ wildly in ideology even though they share similar name, aesthetic, and even games. It's ridiculous to claim Nintendo has not innovated when they're arguably the company who changes the most between generations. If you want Nintendo to follow Sony and Microsoft, then that's fine. I welcome a more powerful system, a functional account system, and a more robust online infrastructure, but let's not pretend that that path will somehow be more "innovative" than their past endeavors. It's fine to criticize Iwata, but most people are probably taking offense to your posts because they suggest you're actually happy that he has passed.

@Bolded: To me they have the best online. It's always been incredibly stable even playing with people continents away. My experience with other systems online is infinitely worse. Plus I don't have to deal with shitty voice chat that plagues games on Xbox and Playstation.

As far as specs go, I don't care really. I'm happy with a quality product being made period. Whenever I hear people go on about "power" I think of those people who judge a game on it's graphics alone rather than on it's art style/art direction. If you mean something else, cool. That's fine. But I really can't stand people who dismiss entire game consoles and games because they don't like the graphics. It's usually not even graphics they have an issue with. It's the art style itself. So they're not even being honest. If I wanted to play something that looked ultra-realistic, I'll look to PC.

Account system? I also don't get that criticism either but I've never much cared for that feature. If you could explain what you mean by account system, that'd be cool, as I'd get more where you're coming from here.

Neff

This is merely a reiteration of official public info regarding NX plans.

They've said since last early year that they'll be revealing it in 2016 and that hasn't changed.

That's what's so scary.

Don't worry about it. Nintendo has gone through many changes since they've been in gaming, but their dedication to quality and innovation has always been resolute.

BY2K

Membero Americo

How was the Wii U Iwata NOT trying to innovate? Releasing a console that comes with a controller that has a screen on it seems pretty innovative as far as home consoles are concerned.

And Iwata didn't exit. He died. Sure, Iwata was resilient on a few things, you're right about that. It's not what you said that bothered me, it's how you said it.

Neoxon

You do realize that the NX Platform is likely still Iwata's brain-child, right? If I recall correctly, the new president was part of Iwata's inner circle, so he'll likely carry out Iwata's wishes.

To me they have the best online. It's always been incredibly stable even playing with people continents away. My experience with other systems online is infinitely worse. Plus I don't have to deal with shitty voice chat that plagues games on Xbox and Playstation.
R

As far as specs go, I don't care really. I'm happy with a quality product being made period. Whenever I hear people go on about "power" I think of those people who judge a game on it's graphics alone rather than on it's art style/art direction. If you mean something else, cool. That's fine. But I really can't stand people who dismiss entire game consoles and games because they don't like the graphics. It's usually not even graphics they have an issue with. It's the art style itself. So they're not even being honest. If I wanted to play something that looked ultra-realistic, I'll look to PC.
I

Account system? I also don't get that criticism either but I've never much cared for that feature. If you could explain what you mean by account system, that'd be cool, as I'd get more where you're coming from here.
P

Your line of thinking would only spell doom for Nintendo.

Because who, in the age of CoD and Destiny, needs voice chat in competitive multiplayer games? And who is served by a unified account system that smartphones have turned into de facto parts of our digital lives?

Maybe Nintendo would be in better shape if it stopped treating its userbase like babies, and if its userbase would stop waiving away Nintendo's ass-backward practices that insult anyone who's touched a piece of 21st century tech.

R

I

P

Because who, in the age of CoD and Destiny, needs voice chat in competitive multiplayer games? And who is served by a unified account system that smartphones have turned into de facto parts of our digital lives?

Maybe Nintendo would be in better shape if it stopped treating its userbase like babies, and if its userbase would stop waiving away Nintendo's ass-backward practices that insult anyone who's touched a piece of 21st century tech.

Exactly.

@Bolded: To me they have the best online. It's always been incredibly stable even playing with people continents away. My experience with other systems online is infinitely worse. Plus I don't have to deal with shitty voice chat that plagues games on Xbox and Playstation.

I think Nintendo's online is lacking compared to Sony or Microsoft in terms of options. As far as I know, you can't make lobbies with friends or have cross-game party chat. You might not care for those features but others find them valuable. As far as voice chat is concerned, mute options can solve your problem. It's cumbersome just to message a friend and try to set up a match just through the console.

I'm not really picky about graphics either, but games can always look better. It's fine if you're okay with stagnating technology, but a lot of people expect more power as generations go on. Gameplay is important, sure, but graphics are important as well. Otherwise nobody would bother building newer, more capable machines.

This is being remedied at the moment, but I didn't like how fragmented the 3DS/Wii U ecosystem was. I want one shop, one friends list, and cross communication. I'd like to be able to sign onto a different system and still have access to my games without having to do a whole transfer.

Partially this. I've always loved Nintendo stuff. They're the only ones constantly innovating, taking chances, and in my view succeeding with what they try most of the time. Plus I always have the most fun with their stuff/their third party releases that are constantly ignored by the masses (Wii anyone? that system had so many damn gems on it). That said, I like to try to be optimistic. All this talk of mobile does make me question where they're going.

Sooooo you want LESS options. You're happy there isn't voicechat. You're happy with less options. Less features. This is why Nintendo doesn't actually step foot into the 21st century.

Ekai

R

I

P

Lack of voice chat works just fine in Splatoon, Smash, MK, etc. I welcome the lack of hearing the sheer amount of crybaby sexist/racist douchebags that plague the games you mentioned. Lack of voice chat and the most stable service? And it's free? Hell, yes. Ninty's doing online right for me.

Also, thanks for explaining nothing about what is meant by an account system and rather insulting me because reasons? Cause I honestly don't like how PSN or Xbox Live work as far as their "account" systems go. I don't like how they execute it much in general.

It's funny because you're insinuating that Nintendo products either aren't innovative/21st century material. Then again the second you decided to be an asshole is the second you proclaimed you aren't really worth responding to in the first place. So thanks for making this a much quicker conversation.

Nightbird

No, you don't understand.
Those are not novelties he likes so it's not innovative. The only way to innovate is to do stuff he likes!

Top Bottom