• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo President Publishes Plans for 2016 in JP Newspaper

Lack of voice chat works just fine in Splatoon, Smash, MK, etc. I welcome the lack of hearing the sheer amount of crybaby sexist/racist douchebags that plague the games you mentioned. Lack of voice chat and the most stable service? And it's free? Hell, yes. Ninty's doing online right for me.

Also, thanks for explaining nothing about what is meant by an account system and rather insulting me because reasons? Cause I honestly don't like how PSN or Xbox Live work as far as their "account" systems go. I don't like how they execute it much in general.

It's funny because you're insinuating that Nintendo products either aren't innovative/21st century material. Then again the second you decided to be an asshole is the second you proclaimed you aren't really worth responding to in the first place. So thanks for making this a much quicker conversation.

You want LESS OPTIONS. That isn't logical. It comes across like you're just liking it because it's Nintendo.

Infinite

R

I

P

Your line of thinking would only spell doom for Nintendo.

Because who, in the age of CoD and Destiny, needs voice chat in competitive multiplayer games? And who is served by a unified account system that smartphones have turned into de facto parts of our digital lives?

Maybe Nintendo would be in better shape if it stopped treating its userbase like babies, and if its userbase would stop waiving away Nintendo's ass-backward practices that insult anyone who's touched a piece of 21st century tech.
I don't agree on voice chat, every game I played with voice chat it has been a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. if Nintendo has to implement it they need to provide ways to mute people with little effort.

Fandangox

Lack of voice chat works just fine in Splatoon, Smash, MK, etc. I welcome the lack of hearing the sheer amount of crybaby sexist/racist douchebags that plague the games you mentioned. Lack of voice chat and the most stable service? And it's free? Hell, yes. Ninty's doing online right for me.

how about they make their games with an opt-in option for voice chat.

Ekai

I think Nintendo's online is lacking compared to Sony or Microsoft in terms of options. As far as I know, you can't make lobbies with friends or have cross-game party chat. You might not care for those features but others find them valuable. As far as voice chat is concerned, mute options can solve your problem. It's cumbersome just to message a friend and try to set up a match just through the console.

I'm not really picky about graphics either, but games can always look better. It's fine if you're okay with stagnating technology, but a lot of people expect more power as generations go on. Gameplay is important, sure, but graphics are important as well. Otherwise nobody would bother building newer, more capable machines.

This is being remedied at the moment, but I didn't like how fragmented the 3DS/Wii U ecosystem was. I want one shop, one friends list, and cross communication. I'd like to be able to sign onto a different system and still have access to my games without having to do a whole transfer.

Honestly, I have the reverse feeling in a few regards as far as the three online services go. I can see where some of what you're saying is coming from and there's certainly room to improve in some areas (though it's not like lobbies or match-making with friends isn't a thing in the Wii U-it does do that in games like Splatoon or Smash) but I agree it could do with some of those implements.

I'm not saying I'm fine with "stagnating technology". I don't mind improved "specs". What I mind is the argument I almost always hear when that gets brought up. What I'm not fine with are graphic whores insulting something because they think every game needs to be photo-realistic. Different games are going to have entirely different art direction and aesthetic value. I like games with incredible realism to it's graphical quality (like say Bloodborne-in large part cause of the art direction-which is to me again, key to graphics) and I like games that are retro looking with great art direction (ala Undertale or Crypt of the Necrodancer) or are cheery and colorful (ala Splatoon). Gaming would be incredibly boring if all of them followed suit like some people bemoan.

Fair point there. Streamlined service is nice.

Sooooo you want LESS options. You're happy there isn't voicechat. You're happy with less options. Less features. This is why Nintendo doesn't actually step foot into the 21st century.

I'm happy with stable running games and the lack of dealing with the assholes who plague games that have voice chat. Thanks also for not responding to my questions and instead resorting to another stab at Ninty. I shouldn't be surprised since you're the one who also was proclaiming that Iwata being gone is a good thing.

geordiemp

I don't agree on voice chat, every game I played with voice chat it has been a detriment to my enjoyment of the game. if Nintendo has to implement it they need to provide ways to mute people with little effort.

Eh ? I dont get it, every online game has the option to hear who you want.

Most just set up a party, all you can hear is people YOU invite. Thats normal. Gaming online with friends needs to have party chat.

If you dont want to hear anybody, then your party number is 1, yourself.

Whats unusual is people talking to randoms in these games.

If Nintendo dont wnat random chat, they should at least allow party's and be able to chat with people on your friends list if you so choose.

Honestly, I have the reverse feeling in a few regards as far as the three online services go. I can see where some of what you're saying is coming from and there's certainly room to improve in some areas (though it's not like lobbies or match-making with friends isn't a thing in the Wii U-it does do that in games like Splatoon or Smash) but I agree it could do with some of those implements.

I'm not saying I'm fine with "stagnating technology". I don't mind improved "specs". What I mind is the argument I almost always hear when that gets brought up. What I'm not fine with are graphic whores insulting something because they think every game needs to be photo-realistic. Different games are going to have entirely different art direction and aesthetic value. I like games with incredible realism to it's graphical quality (like say Bloodborne-in large part cause of the art direction-which is to me again, key to graphics) and I like games that are retro looking with great art direction (ala Undertale or Crypt of the Necrodancer) or are cheery and colorful (ala Splatoon). Gaming would be incredibly boring if all games followed suit like some people bemoan.

Fair point there. Streamlined service is nice.

I'm happy with stable running games and the lack of dealing with the assholes who plague games that have voice chat. Thanks also for not responding to my questions and instead resorting to another stab at Ninty. I shouldn't be surprised since you're the one who also was proclaiming that Iwata being gone is a good thing.

How old are you because you communicate like you're still in your middle teens. It is a good thing Iwata is gone from Nintendo. It's unfortunate that he passed away but it's a very very good thing he's no longer leading the company.

Infinite

Eh ? I dont get it, every online game has the option to hear who you want.

Most just set up a party, all you can hear is people YOU invite. Thats normal. Gaming online with friends needs to have party chat.

If you dont want to hear anybody, then your party number is 1, yourself.

Whats unusual is people talking to randoms in these games
The default is hearing them. I won't to be able to opt in and out of voice chat entirely while still being able to play the game online.

How old are you because you communicate like you're still in your middle teens. It is a good thing Iwata is gone from Nintendo. It's unfortunate that he passed away but it's a very very good thing he's no longer leading the company.
I'd say middle teens is generous.

It's very difficult to engage with someone so brashly reactive to even the tiniest criticism.

Ekai

how about they make their games with an opt-in option for voice chat.

That'd be fine, I suppose. But I really don't see the need since the games work plenty fine anyway.
I just don't care to hear the garbage that happens when voice chat becomes a thing. It wastes my time to have to mute or hear that nonsense in the first place. At most I only ever use it between friends. Plus we'll Skype anyway so it's not really a big deal to me. However, for those who don't have Skype or some similar service, I can see the need.

Fandangox

That'd be fine, I suppose. But I really don't see the need since the games work plenty fine anyway.
I just don't care to hear the garbage that happens when voice chat becomes a thing. It wastes my time to have to mute or hear that nonsense in the first place. At most I only ever use it between friends. Plus we'll Skype anyway so it's not really a big deal to me. However, for those who don't have Skype or some similar service, I can see the need.

Skype or similar really works on pc since you can eevrything from the same device, but lots of Team-based online games needed, even splatoon could have benefited from it.

Just because a lot of people don't like to use it, doesn't mean the option should always be there for the games that need it.

Ekai

I'd say middle teens is generous.

It's very difficult to engage with someone so brashly reactive to even the tiniest criticism.

If you sincerely believe not engaging with a person's points and insulting them is criticism, all because I "dared" to say I'm happy with Nintendo's overall service, you both have an incredibly long way to go as far as maturity is concerned. That kind of discourse is not conducive to discussion in the least and last I checked isn't welcome on Gaf. That'll be the last morsel either of you get from me. You could both use a lesson in basic communication from Silent_Ocarina or Fandangox.

If you sincerely believe not engaging with a person's points and insulting them is criticism, all because I dared to say I'm happy with Nintendo's overall service, you both have an incredibly long way to go as far as maturity is concerned. That kind of discourse is not conducive to discussion in the least and last I checked isn't welcome on Gaf.
If you can pinpoint where I insulted you before you called me an asshole, I'd appreciate it.

So, is the QOL initiative dead?

We haven't heard about it for a while.

Getting us back on topic.

Yes, it seems that at a high level, QoL is no longer an explicit part of Nintendo's FY17 plans.

My questions would be:
- How much involvement in the QoL project did Mr. Iwata have? Did current events cause the project to go on hold?
- How much of the QoL mentality or how many concepts ended up in their current mobile and hardware plans?
- Was Mr. Kimishima ever involved in QoL and if so in what capacity?
Finally (going back to my earlier post)
- How much reserve human capital does Nintendo actually have to cover all of these new fronts? New hardware, new device (mobile) strategy and new licensing projects (movies, theme parks, etc.) is a significant undertaking for a firm who is generally been a master of one.

My guess is that QoL either got repurposed into other projects or was put on indefinite hold while Nintendo focuses its managerial strength on optimizing its business model in the ways Mr. Kimishima describes in this article.

Ekai

Skype or similar really works on pc since you can eevrything from the same device, but lots of Team-based online games needed, even splatoon could have benefited from it.

Just because a lot of people don't like to use it, doesn't mean the option should always be there for the games that need it.

I always felt like Splatoon worked just fine without the voice chat to be perfectly honest. People generally know where to go and what to do in my experience. That said, I understand perfectly well why it can work in online team based games. Such as LoL, let's say. Faster communication and free-hands allow you to do things just that tiny bit faster than having to type what you want to say out. It gives you an edge. So, in theory, I can see why it would work in Splatoon. Coordination is key. That also said, the sheer amount of garbage in voice chat overall really only further pushes me to only ever use it with friends in the first place. Plus the amount of annoying arguments that happen in voice chat make people screw up more because they're less focused on what's going on in the game. It sorta backfires in a sense and ruins communication and team-work. Basically, you have to be in a voice-chat with the right people for it to benefit everyone in my experience.

Now, with all of that said, it'd be fine if an option was there. I stated as such earlier. I just don't see the need for the most part on games that exist on Nintendo consoles and welcome the lack of it. Especially in regards to randoms. With friends it'd be fine if the option existed, yea.

beril

Hopefully they don't include BC. Leave that terrible hardware in it's grave. Move on to something new for once. Actually create a new piece of hardware for the first time in a decade. The 3DS was pretty much a suped up DS and the Wii U was pretty much a small increase in power from the Wii. Now that Iwata is gone, time to actually innovate.

This is just completely and blatantly false. 3DS doesn't share anything with the DS other than the form factor and both using ARM (like pretty much every portable device in the last decade). It could be argued that the Wii U:s CPU was held back by BC, and some small areas of the GPU die was sacrificed for BC functionality but it's still a completely new system and massive jump in power, and it's doubtful that Nintendo would have designed it much differently without the BC.

Banned
The plan is to bring profits to 100 billion yen ($855 million) in “several years”. [Note: that would be 4x of last year's profit.]

Interesting that there business goal is 4 x profit, not increased console market penetration.

Does that mean a low cost NX console ? Or will all profit be from mobile ?
Quite possibly the former. The latter is what I hope though because I can't handle another cheap and underpowered Nintendo console, even if it'll share libraries with the handheld and console.

Neoxon

Hopefully they don't include BC. Leave that terrible hardware in it's grave. Move on to something new for once. Actually create a new piece of hardware for the first time in a decade. The 3DS was pretty much a suped up DS and the Wii U was pretty much a small increase in power from the Wii. Now that Iwata is gone, time to actually innovate.
If Nintendo's serious about their "like brothers" approach for their future consoles & handhelds, ARM is probably gonna be used across the board anyway. This could potentially allow for 3DS BC on the NX Handheld. That being said, it would also screw over any chance at Wii U BC on the NX Console. Either way, unless x86 made massive advancements in small handhelds without murdering the battery & is affordable, don't count on it being used in the NX Platform.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
My guess is that QoL either got repurposed into other projects or was put on indefinite hold while Nintendo focuses its managerial strength on optimizing its business model in the ways Mr. Kimishima describes in this article.

Since everything regarding the company's internal workings are often shrouded in mystery, it's impossible to make definitive statements or even sure fire postulations. But I don't think we can create an analogous relationship between NX and QoL - meaning just because President Kimishima mentioned NX and not QoL, doesn't mean QoL is dead. There is clearly a difference between the two markets, in which NX is coming into a crowded, competitive, and familiar market. The company also has a responsibility to keep consumers and licensees some what prepared for the advent of the next iteration of hardware.

With QoL, the company is essentially pioneering or diverging onto what can be considered a new market. Kimishima doesn't have to tell you when exactly QoL products will start releasing, because there aren't any conventions (holiday season) or previous discontinuing hardware (Wii U, 3DS) to consider.

With that said, QoL was specifically mentioned in the company's CSR report last summer as a series of products with the first theme being health.

maxcriden

There's no objective basis it'll release in 2016 either.

Yes. I agree. But nobody is definitively saying there's clear proof it will. The absence of evidence doesn't point to one or the other. You're saying it like it's proven it won't release this year. It isn't. :)

Only “details” on the NX?

They're playing their cards close to the vest right now. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Anth0ny

I wonder how many people know you can mute mics in game

I've never had to deal with 12 year olds on halo calling me a "faggit" because I muted everyone unless they were friends

There is no defending nintendo's current online infrastructure. none. it's terrible and outdated. if they keep it up they will continue to do Wii U/Gamecube numbers.

bman94

I hope this means NX is launching in 2017. Nintendo cannot botch the launch of the NX and a 2016 launch would be suicide.

I've never had to deal with 12 year olds on halo calling me a "faggit" because I muted everyone unless they were friends

There is no defending nintendo's current online infrastructure. none. it's terrible and outdated. if they keep it up they will continue to do Wii U/Gamecube numbers.
It's really crazy to come here and still hear people complain about these things. I haven't heard random people using voice chat in years. And I don't think I've heard a random player once since I got my PS4.

Which is why it's so ridiculous to prefer less options.

Kimishima says Nintendo wants to surprise fans with new ideas - not build on old ones. Nintendo will in 2016 release “details” on the NX.

So it will be released in 2017, just like i predicted. Well that sucks.

tumblr_nwps4pjju31r962usp7.gif

bman94

Can't botch? Look at the 3DS and Wii U. Their track record isn't the greatest recently of launching new hardware.

Exactly, which is why they need to seriously take time and plan for the NX. I'm saying they can't afford to botch the NX's release like they did for the Wii U and 3DS.

I want theatrical releases. A big budget Mario animated movie might go a long way to getting kids invested in the brand again.

Opening weekend will mainly be guys in their 20s and 30s, of course.

A friend told me that he read that Ninty's president in a interview said NX will be in synch with the times. For me that would mean...it's on par with what we have in our homes now, but maybe he means it in a completely different way. In synch with the times as in how popular mobile games still are? God i hope not, but one thing is for certain, they are going to be in the mobile business as well. I just it was E3 already, getting tired of these words that really don't mean a thing right now and those rumours sure don't help either.

Neoxon

tumblr_nwps4pjju31r962usp7.gif
Given the line-up that we have for both systems right now, the Wii U can't survive past 2016 & the 3DS likely won't fare much better. Both need successors soon, more so the Wii U than the 3DS (even though the latter needs a successor shortly after the Wii U gets one).

Didn't Iwata instigate many, if not most of these new plans that Kimishima is talking about?

Given the line-up that we have for both systems right now, the Wii U can't survive past 2016 & the 3DS likely won't fare much better. Both need successors soon, more so the Wii U than the 3DS (even though the latter needs a successor shortly after the Wii U gets one).

Considering that both the 3DS and Wii U have had sparse line-ups for years, this means nothing. Hell, their next system could have the same fate.

Who knows, perhaps NX isn't going to hit in 2016 and they're going to ride out the year on 3DS and Wii U on their death beds and the mobile titles.

I'm pretty sure the release timing for the console they've never shown us before is a "detail" that they could very well mention for the first time in 2016 even if it's also coming out in 2016.

Considering that both the 3DS and Wii U have had sparse line-ups for years, this means nothing. Hell, their next system could have the same fate.

They've basically always left us with a big title for next spring/fall that wasn't just one they delayed from this year.

The fact that they keep kicking the can on software that was supposed to arrive in 2015 (Star Fox, Zelda) is a pretty good sign that they likely didn't/don't have plans for any other software to launch during the periods they're kicking them to.

With that said, QoL was specifically mentioned in the company's CSR report last summer as a series of products with the first theme being health.

That's a very valid point, in my off-the-cuff comment, I had forgotten the last time the QoL initiative was mentioned. I'm sure the project, in some shape, still exists. Do you have any insight as to when the next expected timeframe is for discussion? Are investors expecting to hear about it in the Q3 results briefing?

On subject:

What I'm not convinced of, as an outsider, is that QoL has a defined focus or priority within Nintendo's pipeline of engagements. The investors were really only provided brief details via PPT slides during briefings during 2014. There's little certainty in knowing whether or not this was an on-paper concept (coming from trying to answer the firm's pressing existential questions) or if it actually is a robust program in which many factors of logistics, design and branding were defined and had a set schedule.

I'll finish by saying that, in this article, the absence of QoL would infer to an outsider that the project is not a priority for FY17. Perhaps, in Mr. Kimishima's future-looking promise of returning to the 'Nintendo-like' 100B Yen profit he's including QoL as one of the drivers of this. Hmm...

Neoxon

Not if they consolidate all of their games for both consoles & handhelds into one pool of software. One of the major reasons behind the software droughts is because Nintendo's spreading themselves too thin. They can't support two separate platforms, anymore. And if anything, the sparse 2015 does indicate the transition to the NX Platform even more.

Top Bottom