• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Quarterly Financial Highlights: 0.94M 3DS, 0.22M Wii U, Amiibo down 60% YoY

Jimrpg

Because there isn't anything to buy on Wii U sadly.

They can try giving some decent discounts for a change!

The best thing on the eshop has been the Mario Kart DLCs and the Wii BC titles discounted at the start like Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Ganondolf

Once they show the NX in September they should do across the board hardware price cuts and aggressive bundles to get some decent sales for the next half + till the NX release.

maxcriden

Once they show the NX in September they should do across the board hardware price cuts and aggressive bundles to get some decent sales for the next half + till the NX release.

Just my two cents, but I think at this point they've made all the units they're going to make. I don't expect any price cut or any more money spent promoting Wii U. If there was a furher price cut last holiday season would've probably been the time.

The best thing on the eshop has been the Mario Kart DLCs and the Wii BC titles discounted at the start like Galaxy 2 and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Good point. I do hope there's a trickle down effect from this of better digital sales from Nintendo.

Zero83

Hardware sales were pretty bad. Their forecasts seem to expect it though. Software doing quite well is pretty surprising, considering on the Wii U front only Star Fox Zero/Guard and Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games were the notable releases.

There was also Pokken Tournament and Twilight Princess.

LordRaptor

I think there are expectations of pricecuts for the 3DS range, which combined with a major new release should see healthy sales for whats basically a moribund platform this holiday

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nintendo Wii U hardware shipments:

Apr. - Jun. 2016

Japan - 70,000 (-53.3%)
The Americas - 90,000 (-52.6%)
Other - 50,000 (-61.5%)

Total - 220,000 (-53.2%)

According to their sales projection Wii U will only ship 0.58 million units for the remaining 9 months. Wii U lifetime sales will probably not reach 14 million.

Maybe Wii U will beat expectations :D.

Didn't sell a million in either quarter it was in. Came out too late in March to ship a million, but as a remaster it'll be frontloaded. It's almost certainly beyond a million.

At 12.24 million, Pokemon ORAS has out shipped FRLG and is on track to beat HGSS. Impressive.

Software is up overall, so that's nice at least.
How is this even possible. 3DS is nothing compared to DS.

Maybe the rampant piracy on DS really hurt its software sales.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
In a little less than two days.

Also, looks like a timid impact from Miitomo for Nintendo's debut in the mobile market. The report doesn't comment anything about it either. Let's see how this category will grow with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

wXGolXL.jpg
So, phones made about 6.8 mio $ this quarter?
(last year's number - this year's number, assuming all the other "other"-income stayed flat yoy)

Not unexpected, but ouch.

Also, ORAS has had a great performance- remakes of the least popular generation, on the lowest selling Nintendo handheld, look set to outsell all the other remakes in the series. That's remarkably impressive, and says good things going forward.

How is this even possible. 3DS is nothing compared to DS.

Maybe the rampant piracy on DS really hurt its software sales.

Isn't this the case? I always thought it was commonly accepted that DS piracy hurt it quite a bit, though maybe I'm projecting anecdotal experiences too much.

I was in Toronto at the time when DS was out and everyone pretty much had a flash cart.
It was cheap, easy and effective. You could put at least 10-12 games on a flash cart and there wasn't much in the form of downsides, if any at all.

Maybe a couple of games had anti-piracy measures (IIRC, it was notably just Pokemon) but even those didn't last longer then a couple of days.

I remember that 360 piracy was pretty rampant as well but I've never seen anything quite as widespread and accepted as what happened with the DS.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Of course Amiibo sales are down. How many new Amiibo have released this year compared to last? It's not even close.

LordRaptor

I mean, the two biggest successes Nintendo have ever had have been the two most easily and casually susceptible to piracy.

MisterR

220K Wii U's sold is obviously bad, but it's not a low record after all. Remember April-June 2013 when Wii U sold 160K?

Since Nintendo is expecting to sell 800K Wii U consoles this fiscal year, the numbers are pretty much as expected. At least Wii U ownes continue to buy games for the system.

OK, reveal NX now.

Those sales are amazingly low. It's almost impressive.

noshten

I'm still puzzled and frustrated how Nintendo has failed to release MK8 DLC 3.0 and 4.0 - I mean look at that game top of the Wii U charts even 2 years after it's released, easily at around 8.25mil by the end of the year.
Splatoon should reach 5 million before the end of the year which is also amazing.

BD1

Banned
This is what happens when a games company releases no games. Nintendo deserves these results, their output has been pathetic.

kswiston

I am surprised that we didnt get an update for Fire Emblem Fates. Were their any hints at the game's level of PAL success from thr UK/EU charts?

Nintendo is relying too heavily on NX. If the thing doesn't turn out very well, they might become really troubled.
With the right games in Japan it should sell at least more than Wii U + 3DS combined.

Also, Nintendo has been doing a lot of great decisions recently. I'm confident about NX.

The west is their biggest problem right now, and it has been for a while.

With the right games in Japan it should sell at least more than Wii U + 3DS combined.

Also, Nintendo has been doing a lot of great decisions recently. I'm confident about NX.

I cannot imagine any scenario where NX is going to sell more than WiiU and 3DS combined.

The combination of capabilites sales from hardcore fans no longer buying both a home and handheld system with the ever increasing marketshare of smartphones is only going to back them further and further into a corner from here on out,and it would take miracle of unprecedented technical innovation far in excess of the Wii and DS to alter that.

Ok we are in a sales thread for dicuss about sales.

If someone disagree with me then i like to discuss WHY he disagree with me.

And if you think is boring to read then no one oblige you to read my post. :)

does XY release helps BW/B2W2 sales tremendously? or BW release helps DPPt sales considering they're on same device unlike XY vs BW? serious question. that's why ArchedThunder mentioned about ORAS isn't a new generation

Wow, their hardware sales really are dead. On whole sale prices ie the money Nintendo gets from retailers (these guesses are pretty generous to Nintendo):

3DS $150 x 0.94M = $141M
Wii U $250 x 0.22M = $55M
Total hardware $191M / quarter

Even assuming Q4 is double everything else, that's less than a billion a year.

We had this discussion a few days ago in a different thread, but yes, they should consider dropping hardware. The NX looks like another mistake.

Mario007

Ok we are in a sales thread for dicuss about sales.

If someone disagree with me then i like to discuss WHY he disagree with me.

And if you think is boring to read then no one oblige you to read my post. :)
Again you go into a super pumped out I am right and you are wrong and if you don't agree then sod off mode.

Just take it down a notch will ya.

Ninferno

That's why I said that "Not adjusting forecast" ≠ "Pokemon Go has little to no financial impact", because without Pokemon Go, Nintendo would have adjusted the forecast downward sharply, given the abysmal sales numbers from the 3DS and WiiU. They can maintain that forecast now thanks to Pokemon Go.

Mupod

I gave up waiting on a decent sale for Splatoon, nevermind the usual shitshow of getting a multiplayer game a year late. Waiting for the NX version/sequel.

I was wondering what was going on with amiibo sales, but I didn't know it was that bad. Hopefully they can get on back on track after the AC misstep.

Even though the cover for the Amiibo decline is due to the fact that there are no new games to use them, I still think that it has less to do with that rather than people just not being interested in them that much. From my understanding, most people were buying them as collectibles than for a particular game so I say... that.. mixed with the fact that I feel Nintendo has been handling their launches for these toys so shitty (scattering exclusives to different regions and stores) that some people may have just got tired of searching and said fuck it. I think that's mostly where the decline comes from. But whatever the numbers say.

SpecX

The gamepad basically screwed them when it comes to cutting cost.
I guess, but the thing is seriously in need of a price drop. I'm sure there are many potential buyers out there like myself who want the system, but at this point will not spend that kind of money on it for how long it's been on the market as well as how it compares to the competition in price and value.

AGITΩ

Well obviously the Amiibo sales would've droppee, we still haven't gotten the complete smash set. Cloud alone would've allowed that metric to rise.

They really should. Bundle it with Mario Kart and Smash to boost the userbase online. Why not at this point?

Asd202

Yeah I don't see that happening.

They really should. Bundle it with Mario Kart and Smash to boost the userbase online. Why not at this point?

Because they aren't manufacturing any more Wii Us. They're going to sell through the rest of their stock at this price, lowering it would only further increase their loses.

Ivan 3414

Of course Amiibo sales are down. How many new Amiibo have released this year compared to last? It's not even close.

Well when the Wii sales slowed down people attributed and still attribute it that to people simple growing tired of the "gimmick" or "fad" instead of the fact that Nintendo releasing shit for games. So it's pretty unsurprising that folks are trying to make the same connection here with amiibo.

Top Bottom