• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Quarterly Financial Highlights: 0.94M 3DS, 0.22M Wii U, Amiibo down 60% YoY

Mory Dunz

Pokemon's the only one that comes close, imo.

The others are mostly retreads, which is my point. Sure, they'll have some level of novelty, but I think a large part of the appeal was buying official figurines of your favorite characters, which the Smash line already mostly covered.

I'm not saying amiibo is dead, but there's a good chance it's already peaked

Well definitely, outside of a pkmn bump.
I wasn't arguing that.

I said:
There can be enough for it to be steady and sustainable.
there's enough there. Obviously not compared to launch level,
If it can find a decent baseline.

Anth0ny

2011 - 15.04 million
2012 - 14.81 million
2013 - 12.89 million
2014 - 7.67 million
2015 - 7.53 million
2016 - 1.85 million (so far)

Thanks!

Surprised 2011 was its best year considering the "botched" launch. I guess that price drop +Kart and 3D Land really helped that holiday.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Thanks!

Surprised 2011 was its best year considering the "botched" launch. I guess that price drop +Kart and 3D Land really helped that holiday.

Yup. A lot.

Holidays 2011 was an insane holidays for 3DS, with almost 500,000 unit the week of Christmast in Japan and 1,650,000 unit in December NPD (For a comparation, the bigger NPD for PS4 ever is a bit over 1.58 million)

Nintendo shipped 8.36 million 3DS during the last quarter of 2011, which is basically the same of PS4 record last holidays of 8.4 million.

border

Amiibo was pretty much doomed to crash once everybody bought all the characters they wanted. I'm not sure why everybody was expecting that boom to last forever.

But no one really expected the bottom to fall out like this.

Price drops (and advertising said price drops, so that they are effective) aren't free or sunk costs. They cost money, and there probably aren't enough fence sitters like you out there to make up the difference or make that kind of investment worth it. The Wii U is dead. There is no sense in sinking more money or resources into it.

I'm at a loss as to what they can do for the Wii U. Every single AAA has been bundled with it, and there was even a two-for bundle with the Smash/Splatoon set last year. Where do they even go from here? Three games?

I mean, the Amiibo's already out there should be attracting people who haven't already bought them. The fact that there's been such a heavy decline says that that isn't happening.

So they sold 220.00 WiiU consoles worldwide in 3 months?
Damn.... that's bad.

I would have thought they added any information about their mobile section.

To put that in perspective, the PS4 can do that in 1 month in the US alone.

Of course WiiU is dead and has been since day dot so it's unsurprising.

kunonabi

Animal Crossing was such a huge mistake for an amiibo line.

I wonder if they're even still producing them.

There were just too many too quickly. They should have just put out the core 5 or 6 and be done with it. Although, that would mean no Lottie and that would be a shame.

Bitanator

I mean, the Amiibo's already out there should be attracting people who haven't already bought them. The fact that there's been such a heavy decline says that that isn't happening.

You still need games and new toys to life to attract new buyers. Nobody new is buying Smash Bros because nobody is buying the Wii U. They need a new game which they do not have. If they can do a Pokemon line I expect a huge increase again

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
There were just too many too quickly. They should have just put out the core 5 or 6 and be done with it. Although, that would mean no Lottie and that would be a shame.

Well, that and the fact that the games that used them weren't great. If they had released a full-fledged Wii U AC game, they would have done better.

javac

Animal Crossing was such a huge mistake for an amiibo line.

I wonder if they're even still producing them.

I get the impression that they were planning an AC for Wii U, had the Amiibo molds ready to go and took a look at Wii U sales and decided to dump the assets into a Mario Party instead and save the AC game for Nx/mobile, the AC Amiibo were ready so why not get something out for the holiday? Wouldn't be surprised if they're forward compatible with the next AC.

Taruranto

I guess everyone who wanted a 3DS just got it at this point, this year feel one of the best for the console (SMTA, DQVII, FE: Conquest and something else I'm forgetting).

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Wii U is dead. Good riddance and i hope it rots

Let us welcome NX with open arms. Also, i think Nintendo will keep 3DS around for a while in addition to NX because of the Japanese market. Just a feeling i've gawt

Yukinari

The Animal Crossing amiibo are so unwanted to the point where japanese sites sell them for a few bucks and nobody on ebay wants them. Probably didnt help that amiibo festival is trash.

Not feeling good about Mario Party Star Rush either, i dont feel like amiibo for that game will help their sales.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Really counting on that docking-station to feature an extra GPU. A certain level of hardware performance is important to entice many dedicated gamers. As it is now it's a Good phablet (though... active cooling?) but a super-weak console. Every portable device has TV-out these days so their TV-out functionality needs to stand apart.

What does Nintendo need that power for when third parties who would use it largely aren't going to be touching such a platform anyway?

I only expect Japanese third parties from 3DS, some console player investments and first party investment. THe Japanese industry largely doesn't care about power beyond the 6th gen level, and perhaps maybe seventh gen if they are really feeling ambitious(SE are one of a kind these days)

I see no point to them wasting effort on that when their default option is far beyond what is necessary.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
but why, if they already own the ones they want?
Reading this makes GTA V still being in the top 10 in NPD even more amazing.

It's assumed one of the reasons it stays in the top ten is because of new console sales.

So if more Wii U's were being bought that could have meant more amiibo being bought.

Yea the NX can't get here fast enough.

imjust1n

Banned
amiibo is dead lol because they made it dead.
I knew it would happen you build hype then you make so many of them then people just dont care.

aBarreras

Reading this makes GTA V still being in the top 10 in NPD even more amazing.

It's assumed one of the reasons it stays in the top ten is because of new console sales.

So if more Wii U's were being bought that could have meant more amiibo being bought.

Yea the NX can't get here fast enough.

yeah, to keep selling something like amiibo, you gotta have new users constantly, because old users will eventually stop buying them

even tho, there a lot of people who bough them without having a wii u anyways

Astral Dog

Those are some low figures, even by 3DS standards. They really need to do better than 0.22m a quarter with NX.

well, yeah, but Wii U was a disaster since the beggining and its on its last days with barely any release.

3DS is giving its all due to the strenght of its lineup and price.

Astral Dog

as for the numbers, unless Nintendo screws up really, really bad again NX will sell much better as that is much of a successor to

Astral Dog

as for the numbers, unless Nintendo screws up really, really bad again NX will sell much better than Wii U easily as that is much of a successor to 3DS and a "new idea".

we just need a simple, easy to understand product at an affordable price, hope Nintendo wont make the same mistakes again.
edit: oops double post

YES! Wii U fire sales in 3, 2, 1...

It'd make too much sense to drop the price on Wii U. So it won't happen until well after the NX releases.

(Not that it matters at this point)

YES! Wii U fire sales in 3, 2, 1...

It'd make too much sense to drop the price on Wii U. So it won't happen until well after the NX releases.

(Not that it matters at this point)

Nintendo won't be the ones to drop the price of the Wii U.

Any Wii U fire sales will be the retailers taking loss on them to clear inventory of them but that likely won't be a lot as Nintendo stopped manufacturing more Wii U's earlier this year I believe. As such there won't be a glut of Wii U supply so fire sales will really likely just be that, extremely limited.

Also obligatory

TTe0CRP.gif

hollomat

Banned
3DS software (Apr-Jun 2016)
Pokémon ORAS - 400,000 (12.24m)
Mario Kart 7 - 300,000 (13.56m)
Pokémon XY - 280,000 (14.98m)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3D - 260,000 (4.30m)
New Super Mario Bros 2 - 140,000 (10.39m)
Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 110,000 (8.23m)
Animal Crossing: New leaf- 110,000 (10.11m)
Tomadachi life - 110,000 (5.09m)
Super Mario 3DLand - 80,000 (10.81m)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 60,000 (4.88m)

Wii U software (Apr-Jun 2016)
Mario Kart 8 - 200,000 (7.70m)
Super Mario 3DWorld - 190,000 (5.01m)
Splatoon - 150,000 (4.43m)
New Super Mario Bros U - 150,000 (5.34m)
New Super Luigi U - 150,000 (2.64m)
Super Mario Maker - 130,000 (3.65m)
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - 100,000 ( 4.90m)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - 100,000 (1.82m)
Mario Party 10 - 50,000 (1.81m)
Nintendo Land - 30,000 (5.10m)

I can't believe super Mario bros 2 outsold smash bros and ocarina of time and almost outsold 3D land. As a huge fan of Mario, it's just not good.

I get the impression that they were planning an AC for Wii U, had the Amiibo molds ready to go and took a look at Wii U sales and decided to dump the assets into a Mario Party instead and save the AC game for Nx/mobile, the AC Amiibo were ready so why not get something out for the holiday? Wouldn't be surprised if they're forward compatible with the next AC.

This is pretty much exactly what I think as well.

Nintendo won't be the ones to drop the price of the Wii U.

Any Wii U fire sales will be the retailers taking loss on them to clear inventory of them but that likely won't be a lot as Nintendo stopped manufacturing more Wii U's earlier this year I believe. As such there won't be a glut of Wii U supply so fire sales will really likely just be that, extremely limited.

Also obligatory

TTe0CRP.gif

Lol I love this meme.

Yeah, I basically agree. It seems Nintendo decided a while ago to keep marching to the beat of their own drummer, as per usual. Keeping the price stable was essentially a tacit admission they felt there was no way they were going to gain significant market share, regardless of the console price. Whether that's right or wrong is pretty much irrelevant at this point.

Top Bottom