• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Quarterly Financial Highlights: 0.94M 3DS, 0.22M Wii U, Amiibo down 60% YoY

Teletraan1

Banned
So what Amiibos are going to be released in the future that would bring these sales back up? Not too many, they already have most of the characters covered and it will just be new revisions. Add the fact that they are largely useless and there are not very many games on the horizon that even utilize them so I think that fad is waning and mostly because it didn't have legs to begin with. If Disney with the Star wars and Marvel properties didn't see a point in continuing, I don't see where Nintendo goes with a much smaller roster of potential figurines.

How is this even possible. 3DS is nothing compared to DS.

Maybe the rampant piracy on DS really hurt its software sales.

Isn't this the case? I always thought it was commonly accepted that DS piracy hurt it quite a bit, though maybe I'm projecting anecdotal experiences too much.

I was in Toronto at the time when DS was out and everyone pretty much had a flash cart.
It was cheap, easy and effective. You could put at least 10-12 games on a flash cart and there wasn't much in the form of downsides, if any at all.

Maybe a couple of games had anti-piracy measures (IIRC, it was notably just Pokemon) but even those didn't last longer then a couple of days.

I remember that 360 piracy was pretty rampant as well but I've never seen anything quite as widespread and accepted as what happened with the DS.

3DS
HW 59.79 million
SW 282 million
tieratio 4.73

DS
HW 154.02 million
SW 948 million
tieratio 6.15

DS sold way more software and had still better tieratio than 3DS. Piracy didn't hurt its software sales at all (same as with PS2). Pokemon is just otherwise quite stable franchise (well after first two gens that sold by far the most).

Anth0ny

yikes amiibo

might be wise to cash in on some pokemon amiibo right about now. I hear that brand is kinda popular at the moment

3DS
HW 59.79 million
SW 282 million
tieratio 4.73

DS
HW 154.02 million
SW 948 million
tieratio 6.15

DS sold way more software and had still better tieratio than 3DS. Piracy didn't hurt its software sales at all (same as with PS2). Pokemon is just otherwise quite stable franchise (well after first two gens that sold by far the most).

Anecdotal but the vast majority of people buying a 3DS that I know do it for their kids and because they have heard a sort of R4 is available...

Gator86

Well when the Wii sales slowed down people attributed and still attribute it that to people simple growing tired of the "gimmick" or "fad" instead of the fact that Nintendo releasing shit for games. So it's pretty unsurprising that folks are trying to make the same connection here with amiibo.

Because everything happens for one single reason and not a combination of factors, right?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Amiibo sales dropping isn't surprising. The Smash series is practically over and there hasn't been another big IP released to take its place yet.

There's been virtually no games released , and only a smattering of amiibos. Nothing will replicate the success of wave 2-4 amiibos simply because everyone was going crazy for them due to stock amounts. As long as new waves are stocked plentifully (Splatoon hasn't had any problem) I don't think we'll see quite as brisk sales (which happened due to consumers not knowing if they passed up and amiibo if they'd ever see it again)

DrArchon

The massive Amiibo drop makes perfect sense. There haven't been any big waves of Amiibo since the Animal Crossing ones. It's hard to make as much money as last year when you aren't releasing as many products.

On the topic of Amiibo, where the hell are the Corrin, Bayo, and Cloud Amiibos? It's been ages since they were announced and we still have no news.

Kremzeek

Nintendo really should have shown NX at E3, for worldwide release this fall.

They can't afford to wait any longer. Every month that drifts by is another spent just swirling down the drain.

Turrican3

I mean, the two biggest successes Nintendo have ever had have been the two most easily and casually susceptible to piracy.
Yet they sold a huuuge amount of software... which piracy arguably makes even more impressive since it likely mean average user actually bought more games than the "official" tie ratio.

gtj1092

"Nintendo Reports $234 Million Loss On Weak Hardware Sales And Foreign Exchange"

"Nintendo was hurt by foreign exchange rates. The company reported ¥35 billion ($334.2 million) loss in this area, which pushed ordinary income and net income into the red."

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...weak-hardware-sales-and-foreign-exchange.aspx

Exchange rates strikes again.

Is that loss just for this quarter? Isn't that more than what the made all of last year (~290 million)?

HardRojo

Are we even getting Cloud and Bayonetta amiibo? It's been a while and they haven't updated on their initial "in development" status. I'm sure they'd move significant units.

Anecdotal but the vast majority of people buying a 3DS that I know do it for their kids and because they have heard a sort of R4 is available...

Well usually those customers that buy consoles to play pirated software wouldn't buy real software in the first place. That is why piracy has limited impact on software sales. PS2 is still king by far as far as software sales go (1.55 billion units) and it was easy as hell to mod PS2 to play pirated software. Also last gen X360 was hacked pretty much day one to play pirated software and yet its software tie ratio was really high and higher than PS3 for most of its life despite PS3 being impossible to pirate (early on).

Mory Dunz

So Smash4 is officially the highest selling Smash it seems.

Is it the only the AAA franchise that's increased in sales with each entry? Maybe Uncharted.

If it gets an NX port that will likely end though.

Because Unlike WWHD, no one really wanted tp HD.

...you think WWHD would've outsold TPHD without the bundle?

3DS software (Apr-Jun 2016)
Pokémon ORAS - 400,000 (12.24m)
Mario Kart 7 - 300,000 (13.56m)
Pokémon XY - 280,000 (14.98m)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time 3D - 260,000 (4.30m)
New Super Mario Bros 2 - 140,000 (10.39m)
Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 110,000 (8.23m)
Animal Crossing: New leaf- 110,000 (10.11m)
Tomadachi life - 110,000 (5.09m)
Super Mario 3DLand - 80,000 (10.81m)
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 60,000 (4.88m)

Wii U software (Apr-Jun 2016)
Mario Kart 8 - 200,000 (7.70m)
Super Mario 3DWorld - 190,000 (5.01m)
Splatoon - 150,000 (4.43m)
New Super Mario Bros U - 150,000 (5.34m)
New Super Luigi U - 150,000 (2.64m)
Super Mario Maker - 130,000 (3.65m)
Super Smash Bros. Wii U - 100,000 ( 4.90m)
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD - 100,000 (1.82m)
Mario Party 10 - 50,000 (1.81m)
Nintendo Land - 30,000 (5.10m)

3D World is selling faster than splatoon? wait why?
And how is Wind Waker HD pulling 100K? Figured it'd be dead by now.

Surprised at Mario Kart selling faster than XY. But maybe it's bundled

So Smash4 is officially the highest selling Smash it seems.

Is it the only the AAA franchise that's increased in sales with each entry? Maybe Uncharted.

If it gets an NX port that will likely end though.

...you think WWHD would've outsold TPHD without the bundle?

3D World is selling faster than splatoon? wait why?
And how is Wind Waker HD pulling 100K? Figured it'd be dead by now.

Surprised at Mario Kart selling faster than XY. But maybe it's bundled

]Nintendo Selects.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Nintendo's Gap Year.

"I'm just, like, finding myself, man."

Somnid

Amiibo I'm not too worried about. It was never going to be a major pillar for long, not after they released the Smash lineup. I would hope they can stabilize it though, it's a good supplement, having people buy 3-4 Amiibos a year seems much more normal than 30.

3DS is also not too concerning (depending on NX rumors). It's fairly old but I think it'll get a nice Pokemon kick before being sent off.

Wii U, well, it's dead. NX is seen as the core successor (whether directly or not) and they've dated it and aren't releasing much in the way of games nor dropping the price so I'm surprised it can sell anything at all.

Presumably some of their mobile stuff will release next quarter and that will unfortunately have to bridge some of this. A lot of pressure there.

yllekz

Banned
Amiibo crashing already? Nintendo has to step their Amiibo game up with the NX and find fun, interesting ways to use Amiibos in game or else this is gonna be a short lived venture.

They don't competently produce Amiibo for them to sell.

Walk into any store that sells them, all you see are the zillion garbage-tier Animal Crossing Amiibo. I want to buy Amiibo of characters I actually give a shit about.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
does XY release helps BW/B2W2 sales tremendously? or BW release helps DPPt sales considering they're on same device unlike XY vs BW? serious question. that's why ArchedThunder mentioned about ORAS isn't a new generation

I don't have the YOY or Quarter sales for Black/White and Diamond/Pearl, so i don't really know this.

Again you go into a super pumped out I am right and you are wrong and if you don't agree then sod off mode.

Just take it down a notch will ya.

Ok Wii U will sell more than the PS4. And don't tell me i'm wrong!

TDLink

This is bad. Some people are saying it was a quiet quarter, but it wasn't at all. In that quarter they released Star Fox Zero/Guard, Kirby Robobo, Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Bravely Second (in NA), FE: Fates (in EU), and Rhythm Heaven Megamix (in NA).

Compare that to the current/next quarter they'll announce...Monster Hunter Generations and Federation Force are basically the only releases.

This past quarter was supposed to be one of the best of the year from them.

Also it's pretty weird that Nintendo announced back in early june (NPD pr) that 3DS has hit 60 million WW but then these financials actually reveal that it has not hit 60 million. Weird.

I guess, but the thing is seriously in need of a price drop. I'm sure there are many potential buyers out there like myself who want the system, but at this point will not spend that kind of money on it for how long it's been on the market as well as how it compares to the competition in price and value.

Price drops (and advertising said price drops, so that they are effective) aren't free or sunk costs. They cost money, and there probably aren't enough fence sitters like you out there to make up the difference or make that kind of investment worth it. The Wii U is dead. There is no sense in sinking more money or resources into it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo really should have shown NX at E3, for worldwide release this fall.

They can't afford to wait any longer. Every month that drifts by is another spent just swirling down the drain.

I think it would have been worse if they launched this fall without any games ready to go. I'd rather not repeat the N64 launch where there were two games available for purchase.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Given that Disney suddenly killed Infinity dead, it may have been a mistake for Nintendo to not go ahead and develop a core game using amiibo due to fear of competing with their own platform. They really needed their equivalent of Skylanders or Infinity.

SpecX

Price drops (and advertising said price drops, so that they are effective) aren't free or sunk costs. They cost money, and there probably aren't enough fence sitters like you out there to make up the difference or make that kind of investment worth it. The Wii U is dead. There is no sense in sinking more money or resources into it.

I guess, hopefully retailers start some sales to clear out inventory and make some room on the shelves. I guess I can buy the games as I wait for the price to drop, but I cannot stomach spending $299 on this at this point.

Amiibo sales dropping isn't surprising. The Smash series is practically over and there hasn't been another big IP released to take its place yet.

Can there be? Launching with Smash was a double-edged sword, in that it was huge, but now Nintendo's exhausted most of their biggest characters.

There's little appeal in buying alternate versions and Sub-Smash tier characters.

That Nintendo's financials are this dire is really pretty embarrassing.

That we're still waiting to see what the future of Nintendo looks like with the NX is perhaps even more embarrassing.

Nintendo should have been talking NX, if it was just high concept, big picture plans from E3. We should all be looking at this and saying, "Well, they've made some missteps, but they've got a plan for how to pivot." Instead, we've got radio silence, rare leaks, and some unknown future release of an unclear product. That they've allowed things to get this bad is shocking.
(Come on Nintendo. I want you to succeed.)

Mory Dunz

Can there be? Launching with Smash was a double-edged sword, in that it was huge, but now Nintendo's exhausted most of their biggest characters.

There's little appeal in buying alternate versions and Sub-Smash tier characters.

There can be enough for it to be steady and sustainable.
Zelda comes out, launch the Link Epona amiibo.
Mario Kart 9 comes out, launch a mario in a cart amiibo or DK in a cart.
DK comes out, do a new DK amiibo.
Splatoon 2, do a lot of amiibos.

there's enough there. Obviously not compared to launch level, but still

edit: oh yea, pokemon...

rhandino

Banned
They need to replace the Smash line with another line that have good use of them.

And I do think they learned their lesson after they botched the Animal Crossing figures line that flopped so much while the card thrived and those where paired with the superior HHD.

And the Animal Crossing line sold super poorly no? I think there was a thread about it the other day. We all know AC:AF sold terribly. That probably didn't help and AC:HHD didn't really sell Amiibo as an important in-game element.

Honestly. I see so many unsold AC amiibo here. It's just kind of sad.
Funny enough. Callie and Marie are rare to find here.

AdanVC

Yikes! Even amiibo sales decreased pretty badly as well. Does that mean I can finally go into any store of my preference and finally get the characters I want without having to suffer with preorders of being sold out??

This is what happens when a games company releases no games. Nintendo deserves these results, their output has been pathetic.

Beyond pathetic. Especially on Wii U. It's the only console I own at the moment and it's been almost a year since the last time I bought a game for it (Mario Maker). 2016 is one of the weakest if not the weakest years for Nintendo in terms of games released. Been playing nothing but Splatoon and MK8 and I'm already starting to get sick of them : /

Good thing Pokémon Go is keeping me very busy right now so I'm not mad about the lack of Wii U games. I'm also looking forward to Paper Mario Color Splash wich it seems it'll be a great game to say goodbye to Wii U.

There can be enough for it to be steady and sustainable.
Zelda comes out, launch the Link Epona amiibo.
Mario Kart 9 comes out, launch a mario in a cart amiibo or DK in a cart.
DK comes out, do a new DK amiibo.
Splatoon 2, do a lot of amiibos.

there's enough there. Obviously not compared to launch level, but still

edit: oh yea, pokemon...

Pokemon's the only one that comes close, imo. The others are mostly retreads, which is my point. Sure, they'll have some level of novelty, but I think a large part of the appeal was buying official figurines of your favorite characters, which the Smash line already mostly covered.

I'm not saying amiibo is dead, but there's a good chance it's already peaked (with again, the possible exception if they blowout a Pokemon line.)

Top Bottom