• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

lol ok... except this standard is pervasive for this type of screen or did you ignore half the thread

Most monitor manufacturers state the exact number of dead pixels for it to be acceptable. Nintendo doesn't. How much is "a small number"? 5 can be considered a small amount, so is 1%. But if a monitor has a dead pixel ratio of 1% scattering across the screen it'd be unusable.

Most monitor manufacturers state the exact number of dead pixels for it to be acceptable. Nintendo doesn't. How much is "a small number"? 5 can be considered a small amount, so is 1%. But if a monitor has a dead pixel ratio of 1% scattering across the screen it'd be unusable.

I feel like you're just moving goalposts at this point

DeVeAn

Nothing better then dead pixels on a screen you are meant to stare at for hours. I hate the stance on this. One of the reason I dreaded buy handhelds because of all the potential issues.

No dead pixels? Well how about a floppy hinge. ugh.

I feel like you're just moving goalposts at this point

My original post was stating that thinking your customers won't expect the best out of your products just because your products are "cheap" is not the right way of thinking in this day and age because your competition will take that as their advantage immediately. It hasn't changed.
Not valueing your customer's money will kill your business.

Do they now? Last time I checked Samsung's they were just as vague. I'm pretty sure they only say that if you straight up talk to them.

And even then you'll lose your time since returning it to the store is the best possibility

Do they now? Last time I checked Samsung's they were just as vague. I'm pretty sure they only say that if you straight up talk to them.

And even then you'll lose your time since returning it to the store is the best possibility

From the first page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201613

Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

If you suspect your display contains a high number of pixel anomalies, take your Apple product to an Apple Authorized Service Provider for closer examination. There may be a charge for the evaluation.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19303686.aspx
It takes six or more dead pixels, dark sub-pixels or bright sub-pixels to warrant a replacement from Dell. Some of its monitors--the UltraSharp, Professional, and Alienware OptX--are covered by the ”Premium Panel Bright Pixel Defect Guarantee." A single bright stuck sub-pixel warrants a screen replacement, but this guarantee doesn't cover any other pixel anomalies.

Asus
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/support/Warranty/13/24/0/19/SqSPAYIsfecjo9GX/
Since LCD panel is made up of millions of micro electronic pixels, if one pixel no longer functions normally, it will become a bright or dark dot. By ISO 13406-2 standards, ASUS conforms to the acceptance level between 3 to 5 defective bright/dark pixels. In order to deliver ultimate vision experience to ASUS customer, if your panel is less than or equal to the above number of dots, then, it is considered as an acceptable LCD monitor.In addition, the Premium Range of ASUS LCDs offers a unique Zero Bright Dot (ZBD) warranty.Please refer to ASUS LCD Monitor Bright/Dark Dot Warranty Table below.

12 months
Bright Dot - 0

Dark Dot ≦5

13~36 months
Bright Dot ≦3

Dark Dot ≦5

Acer
http://www.tested.com/tech/1337-we-uncover-the-dead-pixel-policies-for-every-major-lcd-maker/
Acceptable pixel anomalies
Resolution Bright or Dark
1024x768 4
1280x1024 7
1600x1200 10
2048x1536 16

Lenovo
http://www.tested.com/tech/1337-we-uncover-the-dead-pixel-policies-for-every-major-lcd-maker/
three or more dead or malfunctioning pixels warrant a new screen.

I'm assuming they will still accept returns on them or at least the store you bought it from should swap it for another.

Apple is the only company which has the same policy as Nintendo.

It also doesn't state you can't return it for replacement even if you have a single dead pixel. It just says it shouldn't be considered a defect. And that is a silly argument to say 1% could be considered small just because it's a "small" number. In context, 1% is large. "Small" is not some great unknown unless you are looking at it out of context.

Regardless, you can't expect premium LCD specs for the price you're paying. That is not the product being sold.

dan2026

Nintendo can't do this the UK.

They are breaking the law if they refuse to replace a faulty product.

Also if it is bought online you have 14 days to send it back for a full refund.
Even if you just change your mind.

Nintendo can't do this the UK.

They are breaking the law if they refuse to replace a faulty product.

Also if it is bought online you have 14 days to send it back for a full refund.
Even if you just change your mind.

All the pages says is they don't consider some cases of dead pixels to be a defect. It doesn't say anything about what you're claiming they can't do.

320px-All_Pixls_NO_BKG.png

So... Super Paper Mario 2 confirmed to be rated M?

Top Bottom