• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Switch probably should've come out six months from now.
With how long they've been making bad hardware, I'm not sure 6 months extra would have done anything. I wish they'd just get some help for this stuff, they're really bad at it compared to how good they are at making video games.

Uh.. this is literally the stance every company I've ever worked with has taken regarding dead pixels. It does suck, but this isn't really an "lol Nintendo" thing.

Megatron

Not going to read through the whole thread, does anyone actually have stuck pixels in their switch? I checked mine yesterday and it's fine.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-psp-dead-pixel-reports/1100-6121092/

While commonly referred to as a "defect," Sony says the off-colored pixel problem is common in all LCD screens. "A very small number of dark pixels or continuously lit pixels is normal for LCD screens, and is not a sign of a malfunction," a representative for Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) told GameSpot.

This is not just a Nintendo thing, but a common line amongst other tech companies.

HF2014

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

Its sad. Seriously. This is not Nintendo like to have all these problems.

vewn

Most companies are like this. Their policies normally range from 3-5 dead pixels as "standard and not a defect". Asus refused rma on my gsync monitor with 4 dead pixels... I was able to get Fry's to exchange it even after 40 days.

Bought an Asus monitor aswell with a bunch of dead pixels that were not covered by warranty. Luckily two weeks later half of the screen went black and fuzzy which got me a replacement unit that still works perfect.

With the amount of screens produced with large numbers of pixels there's bound to be problems with a handful of dead ones. However I've only experienced this once in like 9 or 10 screens of all sorts from different brands i have owned this far. Calling it a non-issue sounds pretty apologetic

My first even DS had a dead pixel right in the middle of the touchscreen, that went straight back to the store for another model.

Dehnus

Its sad. Seriously. This is not Nintendo like to have all these problems.

The issue here is: they got greedy.

Paid Online, High price of unit and controllers, badly tested left joy con (something that should have come up in testing, but they cut corners there as well), no launch titles...

Face it... this has greed written all over it.

Which is sad as the unit looks stunning and could have been a huge hit had they waited a few more months. Properly tested and launched for 250 dollars/250 euros/2200 Kroner. With free online. It would have made Microsoft look foolish to even BEGIN to show that Scorpio as they'd never be able to show anything that sleek at a competing price.

KingV

My $2500 MacBook Pro also has a dead pixel. Apple won't fix it for free as they don't consider it a defect either.

Pretty sure Nintendo is not alone here. Sucks nonetheless though.

It's basically the same policy of every company that sells things with screens. Even monitor manufacturers.

ChelseaLoveX

Neo Member
Everyone's upset because Nintendo does things their own way. Spend your money on another console if you don't like their savefile system, or they're dead-pixel policy, or any other thing that they do completely different than what MS and Sony are doing.

xrnzaaas

What's 'small number' for Nintendo? If it's only a few pixels then there's nothing unusual about this approach. Some companies will exchange your hardware without question if you get even one dead pixel (I did that with my HP monitor a few years ago), some won't (and they're in the majority).

Have there been a lot of reports of switches with dead pixels. I skimmed through the thread but couldn't find testimonials or pictures?
That's the best part - I don't think anyone in here actually has a switch with dead pixels, they're just freaking out. Add to that this is exactly the same disclaimer every company makes.

It's amazing.

LordKasual

Banned
There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen.

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

bruh what the fuck

This is standard operating procedure among almost all companies who sell products with lcd screens.

People need to catch it early and take it back to the store they bought it for exchange. Manufactures won't care.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
No mods have changed the title and OP yet so that people know this is normal?

You could message some mods and ask them I guess, I would think they don't like these kinds of threads where the OP even admitted to it being sensationalist and then later admitted to stirring up shit.

Schnozberry

This is standard operating procedure among almost all companies who sell products with lcd screens.

People need to catch it early and take it back to the store they bought it for exchange. Manufactures won't care.

Yeah, there is always a magic number of dead/stuck pixels for a warranty replacement. Get it back to the store within the return policy and test the new device before you leave the store if they have replacement stock.

Yeah, I wonder how often dead pixels occur these days, I'm pretty sure I never had any on my screens yet, be it handhelds, TVs, monitors and other small lcd screens. If I had dead pixels on a TV appear and the manufacturer wouldn't change it during warranty period, I doubt I'd ever buy a TV from this brand ever again. Is it really worth it for these companies to deal with that maybe very rare problem like that??

Apathy

Mark my words, in like 5 years you'll have delusional Nintendo fans posting they are the special ones that got first batch switches and love that they have dead pixels make their switch unique

SuperSah

Banned
Hasn't it always been industry standard that certain quantities of dead pixels are normal?

My unit is free of any form of defect it seems.

Mark my words, in like 5 years you'll have delusional Nintendo fans posting they are the special ones that got first batch switches and love that they have dead pixels make their switch unique

People in here are jumping over themselves to show how little they know about what they're complaining about...

Bro what the fuck are you going on about?

Reading, how does it work?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Hasn't it always been industry standard that certain quantities of dead pixels are normal?

My unit is free of any form of defect it seems.

Yes. Most (if not all) companies that make laptops, tablets, TVs, and anything that comes with an LCD usually has this type of statement somewhere in company policy.

LordKano

So, it's actually pretty common and every tech companies does that, including Sony ? And I guess the catch is that people didn't know it's a common thing and are freaking out because lol nintendo ?

fernoca

Well, 'Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect'... would have resulted in a 1 page maybe 2 pages tops thread, so I get OP's intention of adding 'Nintendo' since Switch is the it thing.

Though I have a Mario avatar, so my opinion may be biased.

The Cowboy

That's the best part - I don't think anyone in here actually has a switch with dead pixels, they're just freaking out. Add to that this is exactly the same disclaimer every company makes.

It's amazing.
Not anymore I don't - got rid of all 3 that had them.
its true I havent seen one image.
I returned 3 Switches due to dead pixels and don't have one now as no more stock for exchanging (thank god for Argos's great 30 day return policy and Nintendo not sealing the Switch box), so now I have to wait until new stock comes in to get another one: and you know what - it didn't occur to me to grab my phone to take a picture of them to prove it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So, it's actually pretty common and every tech companies does that, including Sony ? And I guess the catch is that people didn't know it's a common thing and are freaking out because lol nintendo ?

I was kind of surprised so many people in here didn't realize this is a common mindset of companies using LCD screens in their products.

Like what company?

Sony, for one, as evidenced with PSPs. Samsung has the same policy with my TV and laptops, as did Panasonic for my previous TV. It's incredibly common. Here is Apple's current policy:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201613
There are typically millions of these subpixels on an LCD display. For example, the LCD panel used in the Apple Cinema HD display is made up of 2.3 million pixels and 6.9 million red, green, and blue subpixels. Occasionally, a transistor does not work perfectly, which may result in the affected subpixel being turned on (bright) or turned off (dark). With the millions of subpixels on a display, it is quite possible to have a low number of faulty transistors on an LCD. Therefore, a certain number of subpixel anomalies is considered acceptable. Rejecting all but perfect LCD panels would significantly increase the retail price for products using LCD displays. These factors apply to all manufacturers using LCD technology--not just Apple products.

No mods have changed the title and OP yet so that people know this is normal?

I wouldn't say this is normal. This is still stupid PR talk.
But I agree that it feeds the "lol Nintendo is so incompetent and greedy" narrative when it shouldn't...
This is not just Nintendo. They all do that.

HF2014

The issue here is: they got greedy.

Paid Online, High price of unit and controllers, badly tested left joy con (something that should have come up in testing, but they cut corners there as well), no launch titles...

Face it... this has greed written all over it.

Which is sad as the unit looks stunning and could have been a huge hit had they waited a few more months. Properly tested and launched for 250 dollars/250 euros/2200 Kroner. With free online. It would have made Microsoft look foolish to even BEGIN to show that Scorpio as they'd never be able to show anything that sleek at a competing price.

Yeah, it suck online gaming need to be paid again, but at around 20$ , its not as crazy as 60$ . If they really want to get greedy, they better come out with interesting games, or it will be a Wii U 2. For now, i just picked up BoTW on Wii U, waiting for the patch to install!

sirap

That's the stance of virtually all people selling displays. There's a reason you can buy additional warranties to zero defect.

I remember a warranty from a well-known hardware maker that was saying that up to 21 stuck subpixels, it wasn't enough for an exchange.

If you really want a zero-defect screen (I'm anal about it too), either buy an insurance, or play the return game...

Beside, if you ask, Nintendo apparently often exchange it, even if the warranty states otherwise (a friend of mine had this problem with its 3DS, they exchanged it easily).

We don't know if that's the case with the Switch, not this early after launch. Logically, it's safe to assume that they wont until we get confirmation.

That's why Nintendo's r̶e̶p̶l̶y̶ statement is troubling, because the aforementioned Korean sellers at least acknowledge the possibility of replacements if the number of dead pixels fall within their return policy.

We don't know if that's the case with the Switch, not this early after launch. Logically, it's safe to assume that they wont until we get confirmation.

That's why Nintendo's reply is troubling, because the aforementioned Korean sellers at least acknowledge the possibility of replacements if the number of dead pixels fall within their return policy.

Reply? To what?

There is no issue. They didn't reply to anything.

I swear, people don't know how to read.

Umm... Isn't it a low resolution screen? I would think the yields on such low resolution screens would be perfect after all these years.

Umm... Isn't it a low resolution screen? I would think the yields on such low resolution screens would be perfect after all these years.

It's 720p with a pretty high pixel density. And it can happen to ANY LCD screen.

We don't even have widespread issues here. One guy in this thread said he had some problems, I haven't seen it anywhere else. And if you have an issue, return or exchange it. Or call Nintendo.

Do people forget Nintendo has pretty good customer service? Probably the best out of the big 3.

Top Bottom