• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughesta

Banned
Ok guys let me get things clear here, i don't want any of you disappointed tomorrow after the spotlight.

They will show ONLY 2017 titles, that means:

- Mario Odyssey
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Xenoblade 2 (this one may not be out this year but maybe will be delayed with a trailer)
- Splatoon 2
- ARMS
- 1 unannounced title (It may be sonic olympic or something small like a captain toad game)

That's it.
They won't announce a freaking Metroid game and launch it 4 months later...
Keep your hype in check, but Nintendo says that every year and they always show something farther out. I would absolutely expect a new announcement.

If Retro was making a "2D" Metroid using the Donkey Kong engine, would it get any backlash for not being a 3D epic scale game or would everyone just be pumped that proper Metroid's back???

jmizzal

A Smash tease being the climax would be so underwhelming for me but I know a lot of you would eat it up.

Unless its a new Smash Bros, I would hope Nintendo would not have a port as their big reveal, which also has been rumored for a while from a lot of sources

I think Smash Bros is a lock to be there tho

Ok guys let me get things clear here, i don't want any of you disappointed tomorrow after the spotlight.

They will show ONLY 2017 titles, that means:

- Mario Odyssey
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Xenoblade 2 (this one may not be out this year but maybe will be delayed with a trailer)
- Splatoon 2
- ARMS
- 1 unannounced title (It may be sonic olympic or something small like a captain toad game)

That's it.
They won't announce a freaking Metroid game and launch it 4 months later...
They said they would focus on 2017 titles not exclusively 2017. My expectations are pretty much what has already been anounced will be what is shown off at E3 that will release in 2017. However, I hope they can show off and anounce new projects that will release in 2018 focused more on the early part of 2018.

My anticipations:

Odyssey looks good; we get a brief introduction to the Rabbit bosses and maybe a new world or two.

Mario X Rabbids isn't mentioned, or at least gets very little screen time.

An indie reel ends with confirmation of UNDERTALE on Switch.

New Sonic Mania trailer with an all-new Zone announced.

Splatoon 2 trailer of some sort.

Something that hasn't been leaked or hinted at appears.

ARMS isn't mentioned until the Invitational, where the first DLC character is announced, shown off, and dated.

Pokken DLC is teased.

Kirby 3DS game is detailed at Treehouse.

KingBroly

Banned
I wonder like...what's the lowest bar Nintendo's ever had for Game Announcements at E3?

Like...what's the lowest amount of effort they could put into an announcement?

CheckMate

Reminder that Nintendo said the focus will be on 2017 games and Xenoblade is most likely a 2018 game.

Reminder that "focusing on 2017" doesn't mean Nintendo won't announce a 2018 title. They want to sell Systems after all and they know "Hype" is a big part of it.

Reminder that Reggie hinted at a Metriod in a year when interviewed by GameSpot. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAu113idcs#t=08m33s)

I don't know where you've been man, but a lot of contrarians kept saying Rabbids would be Nintendo's big reveal.

This was a possibility that was very much in the air until Ubisoft led their conference with Rabbids today. It wasn't clear at all that Rabbids would get that much more stage time than Skyrim at Bethesda's show (one minute) or FIFA at EA's (nothing in the conference, just a separate press release and playable show-floor demo), although the leaked slides from last month indicated that marketing proceeded mainly under their guidance rather than Nintendo's.

I'm more confident in what first-party Nintendo will have to show us now that Rabbids has already had its day in the sun.

If Retro was making a "2D" Metroid using the Donkey Kong engine, would it get any backlash for not being a 3D epic scale game or would everyone just be pumped that proper Metroid's back???

2D with DKC-like environmental interaction has been my dream scenario for a Retro Metroid ever since I played DKCTF, but I was hungrier for a 2D Metroid than for another Prime in the first place, and I know that isn't the case for everyone.

This seems to be something people are missing. That or they don't know their history and the fact that Brawl basically came about when Nintendo "threatened" (well, Sakurai probably saw it that way) to simply release Melee + online for the Wii

Now that Smash has made the transition to HD now, Sakurai wouldn't have to start from square one with a sequel. His team has perfectly good assets to go back to for most of the characters and whatever stages and modes return. They wouldn't have to redo everything like the Splatoon team did.

Now that Nintendo has two new franchises that are screaming for representation, a Smash 4 port with minimal alternations probably wouldn't be that much hype.

Griss

I like to pick up a console when it has 3 games I'm really excited about so I'm hoping that we see the third such game for Switch tomorrow. When I bought Wii U it had Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World already released and Xenoblade Chronicles X announced. Was a great way to get the console and ensured I loved it from the start.

Right now for me on Switch it's
-Splatoon 2
-Mario Odyssey
-???

If they fill in that third game (and it could be Xeno 2 if it shows well) I'll be happy to buy a Switch, despite being seriously pissed at the lack of concrete online service news and lack of VC. (Both issues which may be solved tomorrow in the treehouse, who knows.)

Tropical Freeze is up there with Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Pikmin 3 and Zelda BotW in my top 5 of the generation so I'm gonna disagree with you there.

Keep your hype in check, but Nintendo says that every year and they always show something farther out. I would absolutely expect a new announcement.

Yeah, they're never totally strict about that stuff. It's just to keep hype in check, pretty much, and it's a good idea.

There's no way they don't show some Xeno 2 despite it being a 2018 game in all liklihood.

Going to bed now. Decided I'm not concerned about the shorter time; cutting the fluff from the spotlight portion to focus on announcements seems like the natural next step from 2014 and 2015, and that's what I expect them to do.

Oersted

E3 showing and quality of the year's software don't always align.

A bad E3 in my books isn't going to stop Odyssey from being a great experience, but an E3 isn't going to be good imo unless it makes me excited for the future of Nintendo, surprises me, and what not.

E3 isn't just the slate of games for the immediate future.

I get that that might be a frustrating take.

Real surprises are hard these days, when most games are prequels/sequels/remakes or spinoffs. Or leaked.

I wonder like...what's the lowest bar Nintendo's ever had for Game Announcements at E3?

I believe they announced five new games at E3 2015. They were mostly horrible announcements, but announcements nonetheless.

Rncewind

Now that Smash has made the transition to HD now, Sakurai wouldn't have to start from square one with a sequel. His team has perfectly good assets to go back to for most of the characters and whatever stages and modes return. They wouldn't have to redo everything like the Splatoon team did.

I dont know man Sakurai has a unhealthy obsession with Smash, to a point where it makes im ill. I would rather see him working on a new ip tbh. OR KI

DMONKUMA

Reminder that Nintendo said the focus will be on 2017 games and Xenoblade is most likely a 2018 game.

Reminder that "focusing on 2017" doesn't mean Nintendo won't announce a 2018 title. They want to sell Systems after all and they know "Hype" is a big part of it.

Reminder that Reggie hinted at a Metriod in a year when interviewed by GameSpot. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLAu113idcs#t=08m33s)

tumblr_inline_n6z3vq3SZZ1qmvfes.gif

You guys know everyone is going to be like "Nintendo Fucking Blew it LOL" and then as the Treehouse goes on and more information comes out, most will realize Nintendo's E3 was actually pretty strong.

It's not that I think Retro doesn't have something cooking, but for a 30 minute presentation in the first year of the system's life I don't think they're going to show it. They revealed all of their 2017 big guns for Switch earlier in the year as part of their effort to hype it going into launch. If Retro had something earthshaking that was ready to show in a meaningful way as of E3, I feel they would have shown a teaser in Q1 rather than hold it for now.

It's definitely not impossible something will show, but 2018 feels right for their next game and the Switch selling well means there's not any incentive to announce games that are quite a ways off. A direct in Q1 2018 would be fine for a Q3-4 game.

I'm expecting perhaps one or two surprises at most, and those will probably be on 3DS. Most of the direct will short clips of their already announced 2017 slate.

J@hranimo

Banned
I don't know where you've been man, but a lot of contrarians kept saying Rabbids would be Nintendo's big reveal.

Just be fearful if the additional first hour of Treehouse Live reveals nothing substantial.

I've been around, just ignoring that talk lol. Ubisoft did a pretty lengthy reveal on their own and put out a lot of info themselves, so I don't believe for a second Nintendo is going to spend much time on it.

Kevinroc

Miyamoto once announced a Pikmin game was in development in passing at a Developer round table. (I believe that was Pikmin 3.)

Xbro

It's not that I think Retro doesn't have something cooking, but for a 30 minute presentation in the first year of the system's life I don't think they're going to show it. They revealed all of their 2017 big guns for Switch earlier in the year as part of their effort to hype it going into launch. If Retro had something earthshaking that was ready to show in a meaningful way as of E3, I feel they would have shown a teaser in Q1 rather than hold it for now.

It's definitely not impossible something will show, but 2018 feels right for their next game and the Switch selling well means there's not any incentive to announce games that are quite a ways off. A direct in Q1 2018 would be fine for a Q3-4 game.

Well they have been working on the same game since late 2013

KingBroly

Banned

It's been...4 E3's since they've shown something. People getting worried about Retro again.

I just want to see how Sand boxy Mario Odyssey works and if we get another great hub world like Princess Peach Castle/Defino Plaza again and not the lame planet thing in SMG2.

MoonFrog

Real surprises are hard these days, when most games are prequels/sequels/remakes or spinoffs. Or leaked.
Idk.

Like a FE that looked aesthetically pleasing to me and came across as having story/world/character chops, would be a surprise to me. And it's announced already.

A Metroid would be a surprise to me and it's a sequel.

DQXI localization news or Switch version news would be a surprise to me and they've been showing a lot of that game.

An EO successor series/sequel for Switch from Atlus would be a surprise to me, and it's a successor series/sequel.

And so on in this vein...

If any of these things are 2018, Nintendo can surprise me and give me a good show, whether they choose to or not.

RootCause

I sure hope thats the case. The wait has been too long. I just hope its fresh new take in the series. No fps, please.

Gleethor

Seeing as we know most of what's coming I strongly feel like whatever they show from Retro will determine how people react to the whole thing.

-Retro no-show: Where were the surprises? Where was retro? What has Nintendo been doing?
-Retro making DKCR 3 or a party game or a remaster: Disappointing show, we already knew about almost everything, Retro are being wasted!
-Retro new IP: Great show, Retro redeemed, Mario looks great, life is wonderful.
-Retro making Metroid: Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh nintendo won e3 aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Depressingly accurate.

Griss

Yeah, this is the argument against it for sure, and it's a sound one.

But it's also possible that
a) Retro simply wasn't ready with marketing materials / a vertical slice, and now are, or
b) Nintendo didn't want to show a 2018 game before launch, or
c) Nintendo knew that Zelda would carry the hardcore crowd through launch and didn't need it at that time.

Now that Zelda has come and gone, they need something else to keep the hardcore and various youtube influencers etc praising the system on social media. Metroid or a new Retro game would move the needle and do that job. If Retro's game is Q1-2 2018 I think they show it. If it's Q3-4, they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom