• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

XandBosch

What do you think about my points in the previous page regarding this being a great time to release a new Pikmin? I put some effort into that post you know :(

You make some good points, and I don't disagree - but at the same time, if all they do is build a catalogue that current Switch owners are buying because they're starved for software, where does that leave them in a year or two when all of the Nintendo fans who would have bought the system have already bought the system? Like we would all buy Pikmin, but when Switches start to be available on shelves, is that really a game that people will point to as one of many as a reason to buy it? Did Pikmin 3 do that? I don't think "casuals" and non-Nintendo fans would really care. Even now people are still calling Switch a Zelda machine because they're discounting all the titles like you mentioned in your post. To me the obvious logic is to look at the Wii U's lineup and say "none of these worked, maybe we should try some others that people used to love and are now nostalgic for".

brad-t

Just to say it again, because I feel like many other supposed "Pikmin haters" agree with me:

I don't hate Pikmin, nor would I not want to see another one. I'd be happy to get another Pikmin. I'd just be WAY happier to get a new entry from a ton of other Nintendo franchises first, ones that have been dormant for way longer. Metroid, F-Zero, a console Animal Crossing, etc.

Pikmin isn't really a franchise that the Switch needs right now IMO. If they want to keep knocking it out of the park and creating a desire for the system, I don't think Pikmin is the series that'll do that. I don't really think it's a series that casuals or lost Nintendo fans really give a shit about. Those are the people Nintendo are trying to attract right now. Pikmin is pretty fuckin' niche, and again, Pikmin 3 isn't that old. I'd take a port over a new one, knowing a port wouldn't eat up nearly as many resources.

This seems more like a great opportunity to leverage the Switch's momentum to introduce Pikmin to a new audience, rather than leverage Pikmin's popularity to sell the Switch (which has several other titles that qualify as system-sellers).

Like we would all buy Pikmin, but when Switches start to be available on shelves, is that really a game that people will point to as one of many as a reason to buy it? I don't think "casuals" and non-Nintendo fans would really care.

I think it's impossible to know, especially since the game could be amazing or bad. If it's a great title and sells well to initial enthusiasts, I can see it gaining word-of-mouth momentum.

Does the second last post in the Pikmin World thread lend any further credence to the rumored games?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1388211

I think the real smoking gun there would be Assassin's Creed's presence. It hasn't been officially announced yet but apparently it's unlikely to be on Switch.

How do you know? They have a pretty eclectic history of development according to wikipedia. New Super Mario Bros, Mario Maker, Yoshi's Touch and Go, etc. Based on that (and Pikmin 3), who knows.

Shit, I forgot EPD Group 4 does both Pikmin and Mario Maker. I would bet on a Mario Maker sequel before a Pikmin one, but that's just me.

Kyzer

Banned
Pikmin not existing does not mean the other game you want instead would exist, this isnt alchemy. Its a silly and illogical conclusion to actively hope against Pikmin because you want F Zero.

Shiggy

Does the second last post in the Pikmin World thread lend any further credence to the rumored games?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1388211

That thread got closed for good reason. That retailer only put up placeholders based upon internet rumours prior to the January presentation (as an employee confirmed on GAF). Seeing as the two Best Buy placeholder boxarts come from the same time period, it's probably the same case.

Had a dream about Nintendo's e3 Spotlight because I'm a fucking nerd apparently.

-Lots of time on RabbidsXMario
-Announcement of a new Starfox game
-Michael Vick (????????) got to demo Mario Odyssey and got to the flagpole except the flagpole said "New IP" on it.
-They were going to show the new IP to Michael Vick (why was I dreaming about Michael Vick????) and then I woke up.

Fireblend

Banned
You make some good points, and I don't disagree - but at the same time, if all they do is build a catalogue that current Switch owners are buying because they're starved for software, where does that leave them in a year or two when all of the Nintendo fans who would have bought the system have already bought the system? Like we would all buy Pikmin, but when Switches start to be available on shelves, is that really a game that people will point to as one of many as a reason to buy it? Did Pikmin 3 do that? I don't think "casuals" and non-Nintendo fans would really care. Even now people are still calling Switch a Zelda machine because they're discounting all the titles like you mentioned in your post.

I feel like that would line up with Nintendo spacing their releases well. We've got Zelda and Mario Kart right now, if they're not system sellers nothing will be. In a month we'll have Splatoon which is also one, at least in Japan. By year's end we have Mario. And again, it's a false dilemma to think a Pikmin being made doesn't mean other heavy hitters aren't being developed. Metroid could come mid-2018, as could Smash Bros. If anything, what you say lends credit to my argument given the pacing with which Nintendo seems to be releasing their "veteran" franchises.

Plus, through the same logic you're discounting Pikmin as a good game to release, you could discredit Xenoblade 2 just the same. The first one didn't really sell that well either.

I think a Pikmin with good local multiplayer and some other quirky new modes would be great.

What they can't do is another crash landed collect parts-athon. Like definitely need to expand on the concept a little more and things like full co-op story mode and some more battle stuff on top of a different angle instead of crash landed. So more like 2 from that respects if memory serves.

Full local co-op campaign, in addition to Pikmin multiplayer in the spirit of Pikmin 3 and the Pikmin game in Nintendo Land? It'll be the best Pikmin ever made. Are you kidding me? Edge would give it an 11/10.

Just to say it again, because I feel like many other supposed "Pikmin haters" agree with me:

I don't hate Pikmin, nor would I not want to see another one. I'd be happy to get another Pikmin. I'd just be WAY happier to get a new entry from a ton of other Nintendo franchises first, ones that have been dormant for way longer. Metroid, F-Zero, a console Animal Crossing, etc.

Pikmin isn't really a franchise that the Switch needs right now IMO. If they want to keep knocking it out of the park and creating a desire for the system, I don't think Pikmin is the series that'll do that. I don't really think it's a series that casuals or lost Nintendo fans really give a shit about. Those are the people Nintendo are trying to attract right now. Pikmin is pretty fuckin' niche, and again, Pikmin 3 isn't that old. I'd take a port over a new one, knowing a port wouldn't eat up nearly as many resources.
Pikmin is not getting in the way of those games being made. Metroid would be handled by another studio, F-Zero was pitched to a 3rd-party who turned it down, and Animal Crossing will be released in two years tops. This argument has always been illogical.
Could say the same for people who aren't excited for Xenoblade 2.

I've gotten to the point where I hope Xenoblade 2 sucks because you have become increasingly insufferable.

Now why would they do that lol
I'm not saying Sony will do that, I'm just pointing out that poster's hypocrisy.

Companies does have people working for them, and management doesn't micromanage every litle thing.whoever put that in could have been a pikmin fan.

LKD's rumours were also credible enough that most took them as gospel at the time. Some intern likely assumed it was going to be announced at the event and wanted preorders up as soon as possible, so they punched it in just in case.

I meant to type that in the other thread but it got locked just before I could hit post.

maxcriden

I think the real smoking gun there would be Assassin's Creed's presence. It hasn't been officially announced yet but apparently it's unlikely to be on Switch.

That thread got closed for good reason. That retailer only put up placeholders based upon internet rumours prior to the January presentation (as an employee confirmed on GAF). Seeing as the two Best Buy placeholder boxarts come from the same time period, it's probably the same case.

Thank you both, I appreciate the clarification.

XandBosch

Pikmin is not getting in the way of those games being made. Metroid would be handled by another studio, F-Zero was pitched to a 3rd-party who turned it down, and Animal Crossing will be released in two years tops. This argument has always been illogical.

I've gotten to the point where I hope Xenoblade 2 sucks because you have become increasingly insufferable.

I'm not saying Sony will do that, I'm just pointing out that poster's hypocrisy.

if the argument is illogical and Nintendo can magicly make all these franchises happen at the same time, why the hell wouldn't they do it? Are there a number of teams just twiddling their thumbs while others make games like Pikmin? Seems like a waste of company time.

I don;t see why people are being so down on Pikmin. Like yeah seeing Metroid or F-Zero, or even finally getting something on Animal Crossing would be fantastic but the Switch isn't in such a dire need of games that they need to talk about mid 2018 titles. It would be nice for E3 hype however we're most likely gonna get more directs that will detail the Switch's future which is on track to get one major release per month.

ToonLink

Five years ago. Half a decade. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of Uprising, but it's definitely a game that could benefit from a remaster. The series as a whole has potential. I guess Smash Run was secretly Kid Icarus 4.

Though personally, I would rather see Nintendo focus on new IPs than trying to revive old ones. Splatoon and ARMS are far more exciting to me than a new F-Zero or Metroid. One could even consider ARMS a spiritual successor to Punch Out, and I think the hype around the game would be far less if it was just called Punch Out Switch. Franchises that aren't selling should just be regulated to crossovers or smaller digital only titles, unless they do some massive BotW-style overhaul (which could work with Metroid).

I can see where you're coming from, 5 years does seem like a long time. But that's only because it released early on in the 3DS' life, and Switch only just launched a few months ago. For example, the latest non-spinoff Animal Crossing title also released in 2012. They could have released a title on the Wii U, but well, a lot of things skipped the Wii U, since it just wasn't successful. It took it's entire life cycle to get an original mainline Zelda title, and even that ended up being a cross-release with Switch. I just don't think we can consider it completely dead yet.

As for why Pikmin gets more love than another niche Nintendo franchises, maybe they have more teams that they feel are qualified to make them, are more inspired with ideas for new titles in that franchise, or they require less resources, I have no idea. I can definitely imagine it takes less resources and time to make a Pikmin game than a 3D Metroid one.

I agree with you about new IPs, though. I don't think ARMS has completely clicked with me, but I'm happy Nintendo are creating fun new franchises.

phanphare

Banned
I don;t see why people are being so down on Pikmin. Like yeah seeing Metroid or F-Zero, or even finally getting something on Animal Crossing would be fantastic but the Switch isn't in such a dire need of games that they need to talk about mid 2018 titles. It would be nice for E3 hype however we're most likely gonna get more directs that will detail the Switch's future which is on track to get one major release per month.

I'd personally rather have a new Pikmin game than F-Zero or Metroid

KingBroly

Banned
if the argument is illogical and Nintendo can magicly make all these franchises happen at the same time, why the hell wouldn't they do it? Are there a number of teams just twiddling their thumbs while others make games like Pikmin? Seems like a waste of company time.

2 Pikmin games around the same time again would show how much of a problem Nintendo still has with doubling up their IP's on 3DS and Wii U/Switch. There simply isn't a reason to get both if you offer the same kinda game on both in a similar timeframe (3-4 years). It killed the Wii U, on top of a lot of other things. It could kill Switch if they continue down that path. It's a waste of resources and a loss of revenue overall

XandBosch

2 Pikmin games around the same time again would show how much of a problem Nintendo still has with doubling up their IP's on 3DS and Wii U/Switch. There simply isn't a reason to get both if you offer the same kinda game on both in a similar timeframe (3-4 years). It killed the Wii U, on top of a lot of other things. It could kill Switch if they continue down that path. It's a waste of resources and a loss of revenue overall

Agreed.

Would be fine with skyrim , metroid announcement and dark souls 1 with improvements release date.

I keep forgetting about a potential Souls announcement. That would be huge and awesome. (......will someone go for it?)

Kyzer

Banned

"Nintendo" is a bunch of different teams of developers who all work on different things for different reasons on different schedules. If F Zero or Metroid come out it will have no impact on any Pikmin game they had planned and vice versa, they aren't going to scrap plans for a new Metroid to make Pikmin instead, either Metroid exists or it doesn't, Pikmin has nothing to do with it.

You just need a basic understanding of the development structure of the different teams at Nintendo to see why your logic just doesnt quite fit.

Fireblend

Banned

The argument is illogical because it is a false dilemma. You're arguing that there are only 2 possible states: either Pikmin or Metroid are made, when that is factually false. There are:

1. Other possible states, such as neither or both being made.
2. Other factors that could prevent a new Metroid from being made other than Pikmin taking up resources.
3. Other projects and needs Nintendo has to allocate resources towards.
4. You (and we) are lacking information on sales and franchise performance that Nintendo does have, as well as information on their decision-making process.

It's very telling that your argument comes from personal dislike towards Pikmin because you could be making that same argument for ARMS, or Xenoblade, or anything else (and it would still be a false dilemma). You're just rationalizing your argument with a fallacy because you don't want to admit your position is actually grounded in an indefensible personal opinion.

Kyzer

Banned
This is like when people get upset about smash bros characters existing because they think if dark pit wasnt there we would have geno instead or something

Ridley327

How does the Kirby WiiU game compare to Canvas Curse btw?

It's a beautiful game, but it's the one game that probably best highlights the issue with dual screen games on the system because it's a beautiful HD game that you're forced to play entirely on the Gamepad's screen, which diminishes the quality of those visuals. It's also not as meaty as Canvas Curse and there's not much replay value. It's a good game, but it's not a classic like its predecessor.

Rodin

I find the narrative that Nintendo doesn't know how to make a good Metroid game particularly irritating. They haven't done one in house since 2007 and that's incidentally the last masterpiece (or excellent game, or whatever you want to call it) in the series. Just because two external teams failed a new direction and a spin off doesn't make Nintendo incapable of making a new game internally of the quality expected by the series.

I'd personally rather have a new Pikmin game than F-Zero or Metroid
It's also true that they're not mutually exclusive since they're handled by different teams, so having Pikmin at E3 doesn't tell us anything about Metroid/F-Zero/insert ip not made by the same team.

brad-t

LKD's rumours were also credible enough that most took them as gospel at the time. Some intern likely assumed it was going to be announced at the event and wanted preorders up as soon as possible, so they punched it in just in case.

I meant to type that in the other thread but it got locked just before I could hit post.

Why would an intern be concerned about having games available for preorder as soon as possible unless someone asked him to be sure of it? (Also, people on NeoGAF have a weird idea of what type of work interns do and how prevalent they are — seems like every web slip-up gets blamed on them!)

This explanation doesn't make any sense. That doesn't mean the listings mean anything, but it's OK to just accept that we don't know if it means anything or not right now.

phanphare

Banned
It's a beautiful game, but it's the one game that probably best highlights the issue with dual screen games on the system because it's a beautiful HD game that you're forced to play entirely on the Gamepad's screen, which diminishes the quality of those visuals. It's also not as meaty as Canvas Curse and there's not much replay value. It's a good game, but it's not a classic like its predecessor.

I took so many screenshots of that game so I could actually look at it in HD lol

It's also true that they're not mutually exclusive since they're handled by different teams, so having Pikmin at E3 doesn't tell us anything about Metroid/F-Zero/insert ip not made by the same team.

yeah I know that I was just chiming in to say "I'm not down on Pikmin"

Are we getting to the point where we're complaining that the Switch and the 3DS have too much overlap over one franchise that theoretically would have different styles of play and even genre even though just a few days ago people were complaining the Switch doesn't have enough 3DS ports especially it came after a Pokemon direct there people wanted a port of a 3DS Pokemon game?

Why would an intern be concerned about having games available for preorder as soon as possible unless someone asked him to be sure of it? (Also, people on NeoGAF have a weird idea of what type of work interns do.)

This explanation doesn't make any sense. That doesn't mean the listings mean anything, but it's OK to just accept that we don't know if it means anything or not right now.

It's exactly what happened.

XandBosch

The argument is illogical because it is a false dilemma. You're arguing that there are only 2 possible states: either Pikmin or Metroid are made, when that is factually false. There are:

1. Other possible states, such as neither or both being made.
2. Other factors that could prevent a new Metroid from being made other than Pikmin taking up resources.
3. Other projects and needs Nintendo has to allocate resources towards.
4. You (and we) are lacking information on sales and franchise performance that Nintendo does have, as well as information on their decision-making process.

It's very telling that your argument comes from personal dislike towards Pikmin because you could be making that same argument for ARMS, or Xenoblade, or anything else (and it would still be a false dilemma). You're just rationalizing your argument with a fallacy because you don't want to admit your position is actually grounded in an indefensible personal opinion.

What the hell? I've already said I don't dislike Pikmin, Pikmin 3 was fuckin' rad.

I'm not making the same argument for Arms because it's completely new. I guess I could make the same argument for Xenoblade, being that Wii U got a Xenoblade title and it didn't do much for them either, I just never thought about it because it hasn't come up in this conversation.

I never really ignored the fact that both could be made, but based on Nintendo's history with some of their more ignored franchises, it's certainly a point of view that could be had, It's easy for anyone to look at it and say "Why are they making Pikmin again and not Metroid?" - sure you could explain to someone that it's not how it works, but when it comes to optics, that IS how it looks. I'd rather hear a rumour about a dormant franchise than one about one that they've done pretty recently that didn't do much for their console sales, you know? Or both - that'd be totally fine too, it'd be great.

My argument wasn't really about Pikmin 3's sales, or the sales of it as a franchise. We DO know the sales for the Wii U though, and they weren't good. What did we get on Wii U? Pikmin 3. What didn't we get? Metroid, Animal Crossing, F-Zero, a GOOD Star Fox game, etc. It's impossible to say whether or not these would've sold Wii U's, but that's just it. I will say I definitely see a LOT more people hoping for F-Zero or Metroid than I do for Pikmin, you can't dispute that.

So I don't disagree that both could be done, but in a world where it seems like Nintendo will choose one over the other (even though that's not the reality according to you guys) that's just how I feel.

Regardless of all the discussion, starting tomorrow we should start seeing the curtain lifted. We will at least see Fifa tomorrow. There was a rumor that EA had an additional game for Switch, of true maybe we see that as well.

Sunday I expect we see Skyrim.

Plus I expect the real leaks to start coming out.

I also really hate it when people say "WTF why does Kirby/Fire Emblem get so many games while Metroid doesn't??????"

The answer is simple: Those series have literally entire game companies backing them up (HAL Labs and Intelligent Systems). Come back when "The Metroid Company" is formed.

Really, if there's no one at Nintendo that has the time or will to work on a series, then said series won't get new games. It's why, as "unpopular" as it may be, Pikmin still gets games, because Miyamoto wants it to. It's why Kid Icarus has kinda gone back into limbo after Uprising, because Sakurai is the only guy associated with Nintendo who cares about the IP and he said he wasn't interested in working on a sequel. It's also why Donkey Kong fell into spinoff hell during the GCN/GBA era, because its main developer, Rare, got sold to Microsoft, and Nintendo didn't really know what to do with the series. I know everyone wants Retro to move back to Metroid or work on a new IP, but I fear leaving DK behind would probably throw the series back into the abyss like it was in the early 2000s.

I'm talking about Best Buy.

I mean, all things considered, no reason the same thing wouldn't have happened at Best Buy.

The fact that people actually had to dig through the URLs to find those listings suggests there was never any intention of having them be more than just placeholders.

Fireblend

Banned

I disagree. From this longer post of mine:

If Nintendo is confident in Pikmin, and I know they are, pushing for it right now is a great strategy. They've got a 3DS spinoff game coming out with which they can cross-promote, a new Pikmin amiibo, and for many people who skipped on the first iterations Pikmin would almost be a "new franchise" in the vein of Splatoon and ARMS. That plus the lack of single player games would give it the push that it needs.

The fact that they could cross-promote the games and amiibo could not only justify developing them both at the same time, but strengthen their confidence on giving the franchise a second wind with a cross-platform release. They've learned a lot from Splatoon and ARMS on getting people to give their weird franchises experiments a shot. "Rebooting" Pikmin now with that same approach could do wonders for the franchise.

brad-t

I mean, all things considered, no reason the same thing wouldn't have happened at Best Buy.

The fact that people actually had to dig through the URLs to find those listings suggests there was never any intention of having them be more than just placeholders.

I would say the fact that multiple retailers listed the same games is a bit more suspicious. ;) But I also have no clue, obviously. Looking forward to see what's revealed next week.

I also think it's a bit weird to make a new Pikmin amiibo just for some 3DS spin-off title.

I also think it's a bit weird to make a new Pikmin amiibo just for some 3DS spin-off title.

Isn't that what they did with Chibi-Robo?

4209700_sa.jpg

You were specifically talking about the studio in charge of Pikmin and now you are talking Nintendo as a whole. Stop moving goalposts. As for why they don't make a Metroid or whatever dormant IP you want, they don't have ideas what to do or don't think they would sell. Miyamoto probably has dozens of Pikmin ideas whereas we know Nintendo as a whole has no idea what to do with Metroid and F-Zero. I also don't think Prime 4, a classic Metroid, nor F-Zero would give a bigger ROI than another Pikmin.

ZeoVGM

Banned
2 Pikmin games around the same time again would show how much of a problem Nintendo still has with doubling up their IP's on 3DS and Wii U/Switch. There simply isn't a reason to get both if you offer the same kinda game on both in a similar timeframe (3-4 years).

Pikmin on 3DS is a platformer. Pikmin on Switch will be a standard Pikmin game. They're nothing alike and a low budget Pikmin spinoff in July 2017 isn't going to hurt a 2018 Pikmin game on Switch.

The "problem" you're describing isn't one that exists for the most part.

It killed the Wii U, on top of a lot of other things

... The Wii U died because they "doubled up on IPs?"

No, that's not why the Wii U died.

That's some alternative facts stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom