• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Isn't that what they did with Chibi-Robo?

4209700_sa.jpg

And BoxBoy, too!

XandBosch

You were specifically talking about the studio in charge of Pikmin and now you are talking Nintendo as a whole. Stop moving goalposts. As for why they don't make a Metroid or whatever dormant IP you want, they don't have ideas what to do or don't think they would sell. Miyamoto probably has dozens of Pikmin ideas whereas we know Nintendo as a whole has no idea what to do with Metroid and F-Zero. I also don't think Prime 4, a classic Metroid, nor F-Zero would give a bigger ROI than another Pikmin.

The "goal posts moved" because the discussion went from talking about the Pikmin team to how other teams could work on other games.

Relax.

sanstesy

I remember people raging about Nintendo doubling their IPs up on GBA/Gamecube with two Metroid games releasing at the same time. KingBroly surely was furious about that one. It literally killed the Gamecube.

ToonLink

I remember people raging about Nintendo doubling their IPs up on GBA/Gamecube with two Metroid games releasing at the same time. KingBroly surely was furious about that one. It literally killed the Gamecube.

Pikmin soon to become dead franchise confirmed.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think I've successfully lowered my hype to "If they show anything new that I'm interested in I'll be excited" levels. I really want Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade so at least that's covered.

tebunker

Banned
I also really hate it when people say "WTF why does Kirby/Fire Emblem get so many games while Metroid doesn't??????"

The answer is simple: Those series have literally entire game companies backing them up (HAL Labs and Intelligent Systems). Come back when "The Metroid Company" is formed.

Really, if there's no one at Nintendo that has the time or will to work on a series, then said series won't get new games. It's why, as "unpopular" as it may be, Pikmin still gets games, because Miyamoto wants it to. It's why Kid Icarus has kinda gone back into limbo after Uprising, because Sakurai is the only guy associated with Nintendo who cares about the IP and he said he wasn't interested in working on a sequel. It's also why Donkey Kong fell into spinoff hell during the GCN/GBA era, because its main developer, Rare, got sold to Microsoft, and Nintendo didn't really know what to do with the series. I know everyone wants Retro to move back to Metroid or work on a new IP, but I fear leaving DK behind would probably throw the series back into the abyss like it was in the early 2000s.

You forgot one other crucial thing. Kirby has historically sold wel compared to budget. Fire Emblem was well on the way to gettig shelved until Awakening showed it had sales potential with an updated formula.

So you have to have this combination of things, a developer/producer who has an idea/vision for the ip and sales. If Prime 3 or Other M had lit up the charts then there would be more projects.

Lastly, look at all of the other games that have been made in the vein of both Metroid and F-zero. Nintendo can easily look at this and determine a couple things. First they don't need to mine those markets since there is a lot of people serving them. Second, what could they even bring outside of the ip that so different that it'd generate enough business to be worth the investment. Lastly, how do those two things marry up to what else could've be done with that money.

This is why Nintendo doesn't always make games in "bankable" ips. Those Ips aren't always as bankable as we believe and Nintendo doesn't always feel like there is enough they can do to differentiate themselves from now crowded markets to make it a profitable venture. This is also why we're getting games like Arms and we got Splatoon. New areas to work, growth potential, a way to provide news terms to what people thought were set in stone genres etc. Those types of projects provide the most opportunity for growth.

So for older ips they really gotta have legs. We all have to admit that sadly Metroid doesn't have that kind of appeal atm.

Kickz

Now we're talking.

Have you tried Disgaea yet? That's a game that's been giving me strong FFTA vibes since I started playing, though I will admit a new FFTA would be more than welcome.

Not the latest one, but yea they're good but I prefer FFTA

XandBosch

I am relaxed. Do you have any thoughts on the rest of my post or do you agree with me?

I mean, it's hard to say whether or not you're right. I have a hard time believing they have zero ideas for those franchises when all people really want is a return to form. I know Miyamoto said at some point he'd bring F-Zero back when he had a way of reinventing it, but why? It's not like they reinvented Pikmin with Pikmin 3, or Mario Kart with the anti-grav stuff, it barely changes the gameplay at all.

I suppose I agree that you're post is definitely plausible, the thought of it being true is just irksome, that's all. It's like Nintendo is both very protective of their franchises, but also won't take risks on them at the same time.

Speaking of Kirby, we haven't seen the 3DS game that will be released at the end of the year,
How many minutes it'll take from the 30?

I sort of see what that guy is saying about doubled up games, SM3DL/SM3DW, porting Yoshi, DKCR 3D coming out around the time of TF. But those 3ds ones are so similar to the Wii U games. This pikmin platformer being so different than how pikmin mainline plays puts it in a completely different box I think.

Please give us Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 3

8kZLcI9.gif

Devil Survivor 3 as well please.

You could get away with your finger with a game like this. You're drawing one line at a time to begin with, and it's not exactly asking you to be Rembrandt.

It'd probably make the game feel a lot more tactile, though. I wonder if Nintendo will ever bring DS virtual console to Switch, by virtue of how DS games and touch interaction in DS games, were made for tapping and long drags of the stylus, not the sort of casual swiping the iPhone ushered in with its scrolling physics combined with adoption of capacitive tech

Instro

I have no problem with a new Pikmin per se, but I think it falls into the category of Nintendo games that are very cartoony, colorful, family friendly, minimal narrative, etc., which are dominating the first party Switch lineup right now. Nothing wrong with that style of game, but I think we need some more variety right now. A revival of stuff like Metroid, F-Zero, Eternal Darkness, etc., or new IPs in that vein would be good for the system.

Forkball

Maybe Pikmin World is YARN PIKMIN.

Also I am 100% expecting a Yoshi's Wooly World port to the Switch. Maybe not at E3, but one day. Speaking of ports, give me a Box Boy or Pushmo collection.

Couldn't a new F-Zero be built upon Mario Kart 8's engine? They already have a perfectly good Mute City and Big Blue track to start with and the assets from those could be used to create other tracks.

It just seems like SOMETHING could be done.

Fireblend

Banned
As someone who loves fft and ffta and spent hours trying disgaea 5? Not at all.

I dunno, despite their differences (and there are plenty), Disgaea 5 made me think of FFTA more than any other franchise in the genre. Sending squads to do quests for you? Check. A robust infinite mission system? Check. A ton of items to collect? Check. A super flexible class system? Check. Maps with elevation? Check. Over the top, awesome spell animations? Check.

Sure, it lacks the classic fantasy charm and the robust story the FFTA game had (and replaces it with a shitton of stuff), but personally I was really reminded of it while playing.

XandBosch

I love the idea of a Super Mario RPG-style Kirby game. Others have brought it up here before (not my idea), and I keep coming back to how awesome it would be. The world is just ripe with characters and settings for a game like that.

WonderzL

Banned
Amazing Mirror, The closest Kirby's ever gotten to a bad game. It's not a good game mind you, but its also not full on bad.

I agree. I HATE THIS GAME. But they could do something good with the formula, I think.

The true Metroid 5.......

I love the idea of a Super Mario RPG-style Kirby game. Others have brought it up here before (not my idea), and I keep coming back to how awesome it would be. The world is just ripe with characters and settings for a game like that.

Thing is they said the game would be an action game focused on multiplayer. I don't see a traditional RPG being that.

Edit:
Wait is there a rumor of a Kirby game on Switch?

No. There is a 3DS "action multiplayer" Kirby title coming this holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom