• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neonep

The problem is that we may not get a whole lot from other third parties at the event (as much as I would love MvCI to come to the Switch, I'm not getting my hopes up). And the potentially most exciting part of the presentation, Nintendo's games, may have mostly been leaked (with maybe two or three remaining surprises).
Also they could be sitting on things for E3 & TGS.

Zalman

I really don't think we know much. Most of what we know are what Wii U ports are coming (but not details of what's being added for each) and Ubisoft software (but not really knowing what those are like either).

We haven't seen more than 15 seconds of the new Mario. We don't know what new games Nintendo will be bringing to the system other than Mario and Zelda (and you can bet there will be some). We also don't know what Retro has been working on and what the alleged new IP is.

We don't know any of the third party stuff for sure out of Ubisoft other than Skyrim and Dragon Quest 11.

There's clearly going to be a ton of surprises still.
Yeah, when you think about it, most of the rumors we've had are related to what Nintendo already showed us in the reveal trailer plus hardware specs/price. We haven't had any major details leaked for us except maybe BG&E2 and Rabbids.

random25

The problem is that we may not get a whole lot from other third parties at the event (as much as I would love MvCI to come to the Switch, I'm not getting my hopes up). And the potentially most exciting part of the presentation, Nintendo's games, may have mostly been leaked (with maybe two or three remaining surprises).

The presentation is in Japan, and Nintendo's pretty solid with Japanese third party. So we'll see and hear more from the likes of SE (Dragon Quest XI), Capcom (Monster Hunter, maybe? Or something unexpected), Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo. They have been reported to be making something for Switch so there's a strong possibility of revealing them together with the Switch hardware. Western third party will probably just Ubisoft, if ever. Maybe they'll be on the separate Treehouse event.

Speely

Banned

I get you. Those are valid concerns, but I feel like they might be colored a bit much by lending weight to those leaks we have been exposed to in such a way that they leave no room for the unknown.

Whatever happens on the 12th/13th, it's worth going into it with a bit of child-like hope. What good is a full reveal if you already think you know what you'll see?

I have followed literally every rumor and every comment from every dev, leaker, and publisher. I have followed the dev kit leak thread day after day.

I still hope to learn something new on thursday. :)

Also, why do you think Nintendo's games have mostly been leaked?

I don't think you rent out a giant Tokyo conference center for three days and livestream a presentation globally if you don't have big announcements and lots of quality content to unveil. People are acting as if the only things we'll see next week are 3D Mario, Skyrim, and a bunch of Wii U ports. I understand keeping expectations in check, but some of you are kind of getting ridiculous here.

Speely

Banned
I don't think you rent out a giant Tokyo conference center for three days and livestream a presentation globally if you don't have big announcements and lots of quality content to unveil. People are acting as if the only things we'll see next week are 3D Mario, Skyrim, and a bunch of Wii U ports. I understand keeping expectations in check, but some of you are kind of getting ridiculous here.

Fair point.

_Clash_

As much as I would love this, no way. We are lucky to be getting the ostensibly-functioning game on even one platform as it is.

I know I sound negative. Torment is my most anticipated game of 2017, but we have to be realistic here.

Yeah, you're right. retail co release on X1 and PS 4 is planned though

Who knows. Maybe they think it's worth a punt to tap into the handheld audience. Fortune favours the bold and I would squeel.

Toad.T

Banned
So here's a question for the thread: What happened to Project Giant Robot?
e3 said:
2912990-robot.jpg

Fully axed? Reworked into something new? Absorbed into something else? Most importantly, will we see it on Switch?

Speely

Banned
Yeah, you're right. retail co release on X1 and PS 4 is planned though

Who knows. Maybe they think it's worth a punt to tap into the handheld audience. Fortune favours the bold and I would squeel.

This would be awesome and literally make me wait to play my (hopefully) GOTY 2017.

Ok, not "wait" since I will be playing it already come the Switch release... But I would start right the fuck over :)

antibolo

Banned

Fully axed? Reworked into something new? Absorbed into something else? Most importantly, will we see it on Switch?

I was pretty sure that was what Star Fox Zero ended up being.

R00bot

I'm curious, what do you guys think will happen if the Switch succeeds unlike the Wii U?

- Better support from Nintendo and third parties alike
- Nintendo will take longer to release the successor
- There won't be as many large software gaps
- No drought over a year long when all the games have been moved onto the next system
- Positive public perception (as opposed to negative opinions or not knowing it exists)
- Multiple iterations (also because it's a handheld)
- Price will drop instead of remaining high like the Wii U
- Hopefully Nintendo will be cool again :'(

random25

Maybe it's being developed into something new for the Switch, if it's even alive. It's too late to be a Wii U game after all.

I was pretty sure that was what Star Fox Zero ended up being.

Star Fox Zero and Project Giant Robot are two different projects by Miyamoto.

OryoN

I'm curious, what do you guys think will happen if the Switch succeeds unlike the Wii U?

Super Nintendo Switch!

Seriously though, this concept really seems like the way forward from here on out. It's going to be really hard to go back to traditional consoles after this.

The next logical step (which Nintendo have already recognized) would be docks with additional processing power to bring the home console portion a bit closer to the capabilities of what ever is the industry standard at the time. The price would be higher, of course, but it's not like traditional consoles were setting any affordable launch-price records lately.

SirShandy

I just hope everybody keeps their expectations in check, you can't be disappointed if you have zero expectations.

Yes, I really look forward to the next seven days of people with self-ascribed zero expectations telling everyone else to follow the cult of zero expectations.

There will be some negative sentiment no matter what is shown. That's the beauty of the internet, you will see shades of opinion completely alien to one's own conception of reasonable mindedness.

I would say however, the few times in the video game industry that we get a new platform unveiling like this, are the few times to have a genuine interest and to be excited, if only for the promise of having a new path in the industry pulled into focus.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Depends on the capabilities of the hardware.

-Continues to get dedicated Japanese support inherited from the 3DS (Monster Hunter, ATLUS titles, and maybe encroaching on the Vita/PS4 audience with stuff like God Eater or something).
-Maybe a portable bastion for some independent titles.
-Western third parties will continue to ignore it for the most part save for a handful of ports early on. The easy-to-exploit shovelware audience is mainly on phones, though there's plenty of trash downloadable software on the eShop.

If that thing is even less capable than an Xbox One, you'll have a hard fucking time to convince third parties to optimize for the Switch when Sony and Microsoft are hoping devs will transition upwards with the Scorpio and Pro. The Switch would have to be some monumental success that wildly outclasses the other systems...

Until proven otherwise, there's no reason to suspect this to be any different from Nintendo's previous hardware in that, beyond some notable exceptions, you're getting this for Nintendo's own software.

Cuburt

Nintendo's first VR game - developed by Miyamoto

You heard it here first.

Project Giant Robot was just filler for their upcoming releases calendar, even more so than Brain Age 3DS in Europe. It's just a mini-game that might or might not land on the eShop or as part of another game some day.

KingBroly

Banned
- Better support from Nintendo and third parties alike
- Nintendo will take longer to release the successor
- There won't be as many large software gaps
- No drought over a year long when all the games have been moved onto the next system
- Positive public perception (as opposed to negative opinions or not knowing it exists)
- Multiple iterations (also because it's a handheld)
- Price will drop instead of remaining high like the Wii U
- Hopefully Nintendo will be cool again :'(

I think we're going to see a smaller, dockless Switch in a year focused on the Japanese market.

Then in another 2 years, Switch 2.0, then a year later Mini Switch 2.0, and they just continue onward from there with a smartphone-like revision plan, kinda like what Microsoft is going to do with Xbox, and not really like Sony that's locking everything down to the last piece of hardware.

Neoxon

While not at zero, an expectation of one of Splatoon 2. BOTW, or 3D Mario at launch is fairly low...right?...RIGHT?!
Maybe expecting 3D Mario at launch alongside Zelda may be a bit overkill, but it's not that insane compared to other expectations that I've seen.

Neonep

Yes, I really look forward to the next seven days of people with self-ascribed zero expectations telling everyone else to follow the cult of zero expectations.

There will be some negative sentiment no matter what is shown. That's the beauty of the internet, you will see shades of opinion completely alien to one's own conception of reasonable mindedness.

I would say however, the few times in the video game industry that we get a new platform unveiling like this, are the few times to have a genuine interest and to be excited, if only for the promise of having a new path in the industry pulled into focus.
I can agree with this.

People also forget about the news about lots of new and old UE4 ports to be released for Switch.

But naw its cool to be overly pessimistic.

Like its alright to keep your expectations in check, but to have it to the point where you can't enjoy anything ain't good.

It did price drop. People just forget because it was only a $50 price drop

PS4 was $399 at launch, and a little over 3 years later, you can get a ps4 slim uncharted for a little over $250 on Amazon.

Xbone the same really, except even more if you count the kinect was taken off.

Two systems that came out a year later than Wii U, and already dropped 150 in price, while Wii U only dropped $50 for the 32 GB Black Wii U with a game bundle. lmao.

The Wii U should have been 200-250 by now.

PS4 was $399 at launch, and a little over 3 years later, you can get a ps4 slim uncharted for a little over $250 on Amazon.

Two systems that came out a year later than Wii U, and already dropped 150 in price, while Wii U only dropped $50 for the 32 GB Black Wii U with a game bundle. lmao.

There are a number of reasons Wii U never dropped below $299 for the Deluxe model but the main one is by the end of 2013, it was clear to Nintendo execs that the system was a failure with no chance of meaningful recovery, making further price drops fruitless. They've very likely brought in more revenue at $299 than they ever would have at $249 or below.

DMONKUMA

What do you guys think the big surprise will be? There will be multiple I imagine but one of the will be the biggest thing of the conference.

Will it be Retro's game?
Monolith? New Console game of existing IP(ex:F-Zero, Metroid, Ice climbers)? New IP? Or a Third-party exclusive of an existing series?

I remember Thraktor commented on why the Wii U never really dropped in price in a thread from a while back, and suggested that this shouldn't be the case for the Switch (NX at the time).

The Wii U is as expensive as it is for a number of reasons, none of which are that they "struggle to get parts at decent prices".

The first, and most obvious of these is the enormous touch-screen in the controller. If the PS4 had a 6" touchscreen in its controller, with all the additional costs that go along with that (larger battery, custom streaming hardware, SoC on the controller, logistical costs, etc.) you better believe it would have been a lot more expensive than £350.

Secondly, Nintendo's decision to pursue backwards compatibility with Wii U games effectively forced them into using an MCM (multi-chip module) where they combined their separate CPU and GPU dies on a single package. MCMs are far from cheap, and the Wii U is actually the cheapest device around that I can think of that uses one. Here's a quick list of parts which use MCMs off the top of my head:

AMD Fiji GPU - $500+
Intel CPUs with Iris Pro graphics - $300+
IBM POWER8 - Not sold individually, but would be thousands of dollars

The third point, which ties into the second, is that there was relatively little scope to reduce costs over the Wii U's lifetime. The GPU was fabbed on a mature 40nm process and they weren't able to reduce costs with a die shrink due to the lack of eDRAM on 28nm. The CPU probably could have been shrunk, but being such a small die in the first place there wouldn't have been much saving. The MCM packaging itself might have come down in cost a bit, but is still an expensive process. The DDR3 was already mature and cheap, so there wouldn't have been many savings there. The same would be true of most of the controller components.

Finally, the fact that so few consoles were sold would have seriously hindered their ability to reduce the price. Any component which was bought on a contract where costs reduce as a function of units purchased (likely including the CPU, GPU and MCM packaging) would see Nintendo still paying today what they probably expected to pay only a year into production, which means selling the console for the price they may have expected to sell one year in, even though four years have passed and PS4 and XBO are now selling for around the same price.

Anyway, Nintendo shouldn't have any such restrictions this time. It seems very likely that they're going for an AMD SoC (i.e. a single-chip package, like PS4 and XBO), they're unlikely to include Wii U BC, and any new features are unlikely to be anywhere near as expensive as a 6" controller screen. If they want to (which is a big if), they could definitely put out a console more capable than PS4 while breaking even at $300.

What do you guys think the big surprise will be? There will be multiple I imagine but one of the will be the biggest thing of the conference.

Will it be Retro's game?
Monolith? New Console game of existing IP(ex:F-Zero, Metroid, Ice climbers)? New IP? Or a Third-party exclusive of an existing series?

Biggest Surprise will be whatever Retro game is.

could be somthing everyone is excited for or DK (which I would personally love)

Yes, I hate when companies entice me into buy their products. Those monsters.
It was tongue and cheek.

I remember Thraktor commented on why the Wii U never really dropped in price in a thread from a while back, and suggested that this shouldn't be the case for the Switch (NX at the time).

If Nintendo had seen any chance of redemption for the device, they would have eaten the cost for a bit and cut price. But since the system was a lost cause, these factors played heavily in their eventual decision to simply let the console ride out its life with no more cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom