• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the 1 third party I really want would be Kingdom Heart 1 and 2. Those remakes/remasters they made for ps3. I would definitely double dip for those

I would love to play those on a handheld, with headphones.

Debirudog

Depends on the capabilities of the hardware.

-Continues to get dedicated Japanese support inherited from the 3DS (Monster Hunter, ATLUS titles, and maybe encroaching on the Vita/PS4 audience with stuff like God Eater or something).
-Maybe a portable bastion for some independent titles.
-Western third parties will continue to ignore it for the most part save for a handful of ports early on. The easy-to-exploit shovelware audience is mainly on phones, though there's plenty of trash downloadable software on the eShop.

If that thing is even less capable than an Xbox One, you'll have a hard fucking time to convince third parties to optimize for the Switch when Sony and Microsoft are hoping devs will transition upwards with the Scorpio and Pro. The Switch would have to be some monumental success that wildly outclasses the other systems...

Until proven otherwise, there's no reason to suspect this to be any different from Nintendo's previous hardware in that, beyond some notable exceptions, you're getting this for Nintendo's own software.

I know a lot of people aren't going to be happy but if Nintendo can secure a good relationship with Japanese devs, I'm pretty content.

EDarkness

I think the 1 third party I really want would be Kingdom Heart 1 and 2. Those remakes/remasters they made for ps3. I would definitely double dip for those

Oh, this is something I would love to have as well. I'd definitely repurchase them as I've been having an itch to play them again in preparation for Kingdom Hearts 3. Square Enix...make this happen!

Some Nobody

I'm curious, what do you guys think will happen if the Switch succeeds unlike the Wii U?

The best possible thing that could happen is that 3DS and Vita games have a home when those developers stop making titles for them.

As far as expectations go: Nintendo could totally botch this up for me lol. I really want to see Pokemon Stars but there's literally no way that's going to happen. Unfortunately the franchises I love from Nintendo aren't likely to be first up: Fire Emblem, Monolith Software--Nintendo's got to make it through E3 and they likely will put off showing us anything coming in the latter half of the year until then, unless they REALLY want to put Switches in hands and just show us 2018's games at E3 and everything lined up this year at the presentation. (Doubtful, Nintendo doesn't work that way.)

It's entirely possible I could go the entire show and not see a game I want. >_<

Pokemaniac

Also, holy shit Nintendo's Developer Program is open as hell.

As long as you can afford the devkit, you can develop for Nintendo, no matter who you are, how big you are, or where you are.

It's been like this to varying degrees for a while. How do you think Meme Run or The Letter happened?

I've actually been considering buying a dev kit for myself if some pet projects of mine get far enough along.

Terrell

He's switching to Cool Ranch.

I legit spit out my drink at this.

The port criticism is actually silly. Really silly.

The last time (before Wii U) a console had an underwhelming user base and great first-party content was the Dreamcast. And lots of those games were ported, and gamers rejoiced. Lots of folks played those ports who had never played the originals.

What's different now?

I think you know what's different.

AdanVC

In exactly one week, we're going to be either having a meltdown of epic proportions or everyone losing their shit because of the amazing stuff they presented and because everyone is going crazy trying to preorder. It's all or nothing this time so go big or go home, Nintendo!

I pray that their new IP isn't Project Giant Robot.

"You have to move like a robot with a joycon on each hand in order to play! Take the console to the park and wow everyone with those sweet Mr. Roboto moves!"

In exactly one week, we're going to be either having a meltdown of epic proportions or everyone losing their shit because of the amazing stuff they presented and because everyone is going crazy trying to preorder. It's all or nothing this time so go big or go home, Nintendo

Or we will get amazing stuff we already know about and everybody will be like "wtf nintendo, no surprises, lol switch DOA LMFAO".

I'm worry that Nintendo are gonna convience me to buy it at launch.

I like to wait for price drops on new consoles.

For me, I like to play games in the "now" with others right around when it comes out. For single player games like bayonetta, its not that much of a big deal. But for more multiplayer focused games or games that you can really compare and track your progress with friends(like pokemon), a significant part of the fun for me lies there, as if I wait too late there wouldn't be nearly as much people to play with. That's how I feel especally with yearly games like cod or pokemon.

Peru

In exactly one week, we're going to be either having a meltdown of epic proportions or everyone losing their shit because of the amazing stuff they presented and because everyone is going crazy trying to preorder. It's all or nothing this time so go big or go home, Nintendo!

More likely the presentation will have various shades of reactions mostly corresponding to people's opinions about it now.

MAtgS

The PS4 ports are releasing on March. Maybe Switch version the same day?

I think this will be one if the Nintendo reveals. The preview reveal took us by surprise, bit it was only the tip of the iceburg. If its mainly game focused, we will gave some epic game trailers from 1st and third. Keeping my expectations low on specs though

Gaf should know by now that Nintendo threads only bring 3 types of posters

The Nintendo core audience that will love it no matter what
The Nintendo haters that will hate it no matter what

And then the rest of us that will be trying to actually talk about the pro and cons in between the other groups throwing shit at each other

Nanashrew

Banned
Gaf should know by now that Nintendo threads only bring 3 types of posters

The Nintendo core audience that will love it no matter what
The Nintendo haters that will hate it no matter what

And then the rest of us that will be trying to actually talk about the pro and cons in between the other groups throwing shit at each other

Pretty much.

Every single Nintendo Direct thread. So much hype, then immediate crash because lofty needs were not met. Many like it, many hate it, no in-between and just needlessly butting heads. Then you also got some that also stay in there to continue stirring the chaos.

Same old, same old. Same people, same overly optimistic groups, same overly negative groups.

We all know how the thread will turn out.

Does anyone know whether or not Tomb Raider (the 2013 one) is coming to mobile? The Shield TV Android lineup shows it as "coming soon", but it doesn't feature an "Only on Shield" tag like certain other games. I don't think the tag takes into account PC/PS4/XBO, as Borderlands 2 also has it, and is meant to denote that the title is exclusive to the Shield TV out of all Android/Tegra devices.

Seeing as the Switch has a similar/the same chip as the Shield TV, maybe the lack exclusivity suggests that we'll see a Tomb Raider port? The Witness lacks the tag, but it's confirmed for iOS/Android at some point in the future.

Some Nobody

The Monolith wife retweeting maybe means something. It's really on like Donkey Kong when Sakurai retweets it, though.

Her name is Soraya Saga, though "Monolith wife" is fucking hysterical. She's married to making bad-ass games.

But yeah, this all but confirms a Switch port of XCX. Can't remember the last time Soraya RT'd a Nintendo announcement without MSoft being involved in it.

Her name is Soraya Saga, though "Monolith wife" is fucking hysterical. She's married to making bad-ass games.

But yeah, this all but confirms a Switch port of XCX. Can't remember the last time Soraya RT'd a Nintendo announcement without MSoft being involved in it.

Soraya Saga is her pen name btw, not real name

Malakai

I'm going to stay positive. Sure, it sucks that Nintendo is pretty much abandoning the 3DS in it's fifth year w/ lack luster releases and gimped Wii U ports and the Wii U is dead as a platform. Hopefully, the Switch will show what big N have been working on.

test_account

XP-39C²
I think you know what's different.
Yeah, Dreamcast had arcade ports, which were games many hadnt played much of or never owned themself. That can be said about any ports however, but i think more people here has played the console ports, hence the discussion around it.

The Giant

Banned
This time next week. We would know everything about the Switch, Launch games, eShop plans, Price, date, Launch window games, hints of 2017 games with more to come at E3.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Pretty much.

Every single Nintendo Direct thread. So much hype, then immediate crash because lofty needs were not met. Many like it, many hate it, no in-between and just needlessly butting heads. Then you also got some that also stay in there to continue stirring the chaos.

Same old, same old. Same people, same overly optimistic groups, same overly negative groups.

We all know how the thread will turn out.

That's because those who were interested in what was shown move to the dedicated game threads, leaving the general Direct thread to be home of all the negative Nancys.

Nibel

I'm going to stay positive. Sure, it sucks that Nintendo is pretty much abandoning the 3DS in it's fifth year w/ lack luster releases and gimped Wii U ports and the Wii U is dead as a platform. Hopefully, the Switch will show what big N have been working on.

Where did they say they are abandoning the 3DS

JoeM86

I personally can't wait to see the reactions from people and even press when they realise that we can't actually have a PS4 Pro equivalent in a portable device with a good battery and low price etc. and that concessions had to be made.

Like I was watching a clip from an IGN podcast and they were going on and on about specs. and how disappointing it was set to be.

Specs don't make the game, it makes me sad that such things are bigger than the games on a device.

illusionary

Laura Kate Dale has just retweeted this, from the UK's Metro newspaper: https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/817307087831175168

C1eWSWZWgAA1jLE.jpg

I was already certain that I'd be buying the system, but that's an excellent price in my mind!

Nanashrew

Banned
That's because those who were interested in what was shown move to the dedicated game threads, leaving the general Direct thread to be home of all the negative Nancys.

Hm.. That's true.

3DS is still getting games though.

oti

Banned
1. Nintendo doesn't give prices, remember?
2. The developers of Seasons of Heaven don't even have a dev kit. Does the author know that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom