• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

NateDog

The biggest annoyance about this for me is that Wii Remotes aren't compatible. Would save a lot of people money (and hassle).

What's the deal if the battery life is 20 hours? Just put them back on the dock when you go to bed.

That's more convenient to me than having to plug the grip back into the wall while you play anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah

How long the battery of the controllers last? You can charge at night if it's around 8 hours

Edit: 20hours?! Non issue

If you literally never undock the console then you might want to leave the joycons permanently attached to the grip too. You can't do that and will have to remove them, and attach to the switch to charge.

So if you mostly use as a home console (like Nintendo seem to be pitching it), you are likely to want/need the charging grip

It would be logical to expect the grip to allow you to connect a USB cable to charge the joycons. But logic and Nintendo..

Comandr

This is what Nintendo are trying to do to their customers with this abomination:

source.gif

Off topic: Am I the only one that noticed that there are several gifs of men wearing a cow hat while they play a game about milking? No one could be so tone deaf right?

On topic: I can't believe what a shit show this has been.

El Odio

Banned
Like others have said the supposed battery life of the controllers is 20hrs which makes this a nonissue since no average gaming session is going to last that long and all it takes is just attaching them to the console when your not playing. Even if the battery life was half that it wouldn't be an issue outside of the possible need to juggle charging 2 sets.

18-Volt

If only they forewent the expensive tech that makes milking invisible udders a reality and instead made an affordable and cost effective system.

Yeah, stupid Joy-cons shouldn't have increased the total cost of the machine. No one cares about HD rumble.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Has there been word on the battery life of the joy cons?

20 hours.

Nintendo's rational was probably, "People will play during the day and charge their controllers at night." I'd much rather have the option to charge while I play, but I must admit that I can't foresee a situation where I'll play for more than 20 hours in a row. If you buy multiple sets of Joy-Cons, though, this makes charging frustrating. Personally, the only secondary controller I'm planning on buying is a Pro, so this is fine for me.

If you literally never undock the console then you might want to leave the joycons permanently attached to the grip too. You can't do that and will have to remove them, and attach to the switch to charge.

So if you mostly use as a home console (like Nintendo seem to be pitching it), you are likely to want/need the charging grip

It would be logical to expect the grip to allow you to connect a USB cable to charge the joycons. But logic and Nintendo..

This is true. It is going to break my typical charging habits.

Also, the charging grip will not have a battery in it like some are speculating in another thread. Unless of course a battery is 9g these days.

Holy shit. If this is the case, the charging grip should be the default and the premium one should have a battery. Why are they charging $30 for that thing?!

Ultimately, I don't think this is a HUGE issue for a single set of Joy cons due to their battery life, but the moment you introduce another set (which is not an edge case), it starts to be one. I don't want to have to play musical chairs with my Joy Cons to charge them.

Like others have said the supposed battery life of the controllers is 20hrs which makes this a nonissue since no average gaming session is going to last that long and all it takes is just attaching them to the console when your not playing. Even if the battery life was half that it wouldn't be an issue outside of the possible need to juggle charging 2 sets.
I think the problem is that the setup of the console is pretty confusing so it's understandable for people to not get this initially. I'm afraid if people on an enthusiast gaming forum have trouble understanding the general public will just be lost on how the switch operates.

20 hours.

Nintendo's rational was probably, "People will play during the day and charge their controllers at night." I'd much rather have the option to charge while I play, but I must admit that I can't foresee a situation where I'll play for more than 20 hours in a row. If you buy multiple sets of Joy-Cons, though, this makes charging frustrating. Personally, the only secondary controller I'm planning on buying is a Pro, so this is fine for me.
By Nintendo's logic, people also aren't going to play local multiplayer games or buy any more joy-cons than the ones included.

rtcn63

Off topic: Am I the only one that noticed that there are several gifs of men wearing a cow hat while they play a game about milking? No one could be so tone deaf right?

And looking at your hands as your milk can only lead to a messy cleanup later

Deku Tree

If your planning to do a lot of single player or two player TV play then a charging grip is a must have accessory and probably a pro controller.

Any word if the Switch pro controller will work on a Wii U?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What's the deal if the battery life is 20 hours? Just put them back on the dock when you go to bed.

That's more convenient to me than having to plug the grip back into the wall while you play anyway.

That's just preference. Many of us are used to plugging in while playing/after finishing with the shitty DS4 battery life.

Shitty but will be using the Pro controller at home mostly.

Joycons sound great but I think unless I'm swinging my sword in Zelda, there's not much else use I've seen so far for the games I'm getting in the launch month (Zelda + Fast RMX + I am Setsuna).

Have we had any actual confirmation yet with a real source ? because I'm just seeing people post:

"The built in grip charges them"

"No they don't"

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

Just seems like people guessing with no real clue.

Oh boy. Switch just keeps giving. They really want to milk the early adopters as much as they can; but I don't think it is gonna work, people still remember Wii U

Have we had any actual confirmation yet with a real source ? because I'm just seeing people post:

"No they don't"

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

The spec sheets are really clear. The bundled grip does not have USB-C [you can tell it is different cause it is also ~10g lighter]

"No they don't"

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

Did you mean to post this in a different thread? Because literally two pictures in the OP I posted are straight from Nintendo themselves.

Nobody said it did?
Err... Several people in this thread still think it does, because people made the assumption that the only version of the grip was the chargeable version, because that's all Nintendo sells. People assumed that the only version that can be purchased would be included with the console. The only source that says otherwise is in Japanese.

The English website doesn't go into enough detail for anybody to know what type of grip the console comes with.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

"No they don't"

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

Yes as people have pulled up the specs for the included grip and charger grip from Nintendo of Japans website that clearly show the included one not having a USB port and the charger having one. Also clear that there's no battery in the charger grip as it only weighs a tiny bit more.

rpmurphy

Holy shit. If this is the case, the charging grip should be the default and the premium one should have a battery. Why are they charging $30 for that thing?!

Ultimately, I don't think this is a HUGE issue for a single set of Joy cons due to their battery life, but the moment you introduce another set (which is not an edge case), it starts to be one. I don't want to have to play musical chairs with my Joy Cons to charge them.
There really should be just one grip that and that would be the charging grip. Do you really need a battery in the grip that you would need to charge itself whose sole purpose is to charge other batteries? At that point just use a generic power bank and connect it to the charging grip instead of overcomplicating and opening the grip to even more overpricing.

Charging grip. Pro Controller. Those two should only exist. :/

datwr

"No they don't"

"Yes they do"

"No they don't"

You don't count Nintendos own website from the OP as a reliable source?
Then I don't know what will satisfy you, an official statement I guess maybe?

Papacheeks

Banned

Welcome to Nintendo's vision of how they view the industry.

They welcome you with open arms.....then they will milk you for everything, literally milk you.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Stupid, but if the battery life is good enough, just charge them overnight and it's mostly a non-issue.

If you have two sets of Joycons and need to charge both, though, it can be a bit of a problem I guess... :\

Ehh doesn't seem like that much effort to detach the joycons and go charge 'em. I always have to swap and rotate out my DS4s since their battery life is such shit, not a big deal to just go plug 'em in regularly. Mildly annoying but not enough that I'd pay money for an extra charge or whatever. :p

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
for fucks sake you can plug in the joy-con controllers to the included grip and plug it in with a cable to charge. literally like all other wireless controllers

the difference with the charging grip is that it has its own battery that can charge the joy-con controllers without a cable.

everyone is so knee jerk gung ho ready for spin every little nuance of this system into this hugely negative anti-consumer thing

This is 100% false.

Let me break this down for you:

1. Pack in Grip does not have USB.

2. Charging Grip does not have a battery.

3. Read the thread.

edit: I will post this again for you:
For people having a hard time understanding.

WHAT IS PACKED IN THE BOX:

WHAT YOU PAY $30 FOR (CHARGING GRIP):

edit: Also:

wU1VJ3E.jpg

Where dat USB-C port at on the main official page???

edit: apparently theres new information and I suck

You could almost say you had a knee jerk reaction.

crinale

for fucks sake you can plug in the joy-con controllers to the included grip and plug it in with a cable to charge. literally like all other wireless controllers

the difference with the charging grip is that it has its own battery that can charge the joy-con controllers without a cable.

everyone is so knee jerk gung ho ready to spin every little nuance of this system into this hugely negative anti-consumer thing

That's what everyone expected but unfortunately Nintendo want you to pay extra for that.

Caelus

I suppose if you can charge it on the dock, and the battery life is that long, then it isn't too much of an inconvenience. But the very concept of packing in an inferior version of the grip is infuriating, in an already expensive package.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not only that, the description of the charging grip specifically says that it is different from the bundled grip in that you are able to use it to charge the JoyCons. There's not much ambiguity, at least officially here.

Yeah, quoted it earlier in the thread.

So the LEDs on the Joy Cons are also the player indicators, not the battery levels as some said.
0FPwZN5.png

rDU5QF5.png

Looking at how the LEDs line up with the grip they could just be see-through plastic that pass through the light from the Joy Cons?

everyone is so knee jerk gung ho ready to spin every little nuance of this system into this hugely negative anti-consumer thing

No you can't, and that's the problem. There is no charge connection port on the grip included with the system.

everyone is so knee jerk gung ho ready
That's ironic, considering your post can only exist if you didn't even look at the pictures in the OP.

I understand not reading. Reading's hard. But I included pictures.

Yeah, quoted it earlier in the thread.

So the LEDs on the Joy Cons are also the player indicators, not the battery levels as some said.
0FPwZN5.png

rDU5QF5.png
My bad. I should have figured, considering that's how other Nintendo devices work. Will change in the OP.

Edit: Wait... If the grip is held by one player, how does that make sense?

Comandr

Yeah this doesn't appear to be the case though. OP and other posters have provided plenty of images and detailed information stating that the joycon grip included is ... just a dead hunk of plastic.

KHlover

Banned
Because a modern day controller like the Xbone controller, PS4 controller, or hell... The Wii U Pro controller, can be charged while I'm playing a game. They also take standard USBs that everybody has lying around the house, so it's easy to plug in and charge several controllers.

Whereas by default, you can only charge one set of joy-cons at a time, and you can only do so while not playing the console, or while playing it portably.

What about the other sets of joy-cons for local multiplayer?

If you have that many Joycons you'd probably want this product:

c11w2ubweaapxkf-de283.jpg

WadeitOut

That clears up my confusion. I kept pointing out the LEDs on the packed in grip because I thought they were battery indicators.

This makes me realize we are going to have two separate battery icons for the joy cons. Three total battery icons when using the tablet with them...

El Odio

Banned
I think the problem is that the setup of the console is pretty confusing so it's understandable for people to not get this initially. I'm afraid if people on an enthusiast gaming forum have trouble understanding the general public will just be lost on how the switch operates.
I can see that, especially with how much we have to somewhat dig in order to find this out ourselves, though I have no doubt it'll be better explained in the console's manual or something. Still, something that should have been clarified better though.

I guess, my question is that its when the console is removed from the dock that it switches to tablet mode and not when two joycon are attached correct? Cause if so it makes this whole issue about trying to charge two sets moot since you just have one set hooked up to the console and then one to the grip. Sure, you have to switch them occasionally but still.

Top Bottom