• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

Well, that's wrong. I use my Gamepad with my Wii U while it is plugged in and charging, also use my DS4 on my PS4 while plugged and charging and my DS3 with my PS3 as well.

They all charge while I play.
What?

I'm saying that the Switch isn't like modern day consoles, in that by default, you cannot charge the joy-cons while playing if they're connected to a docked console.

I'm shaming the Switch, not the Wii U, PS4, and Xbone.

What about the other sets of joy-cons for local multiplayer?

They last about 20 hours, and take 3 hours to charge. Ain't no way there isn't down time to charge even 4 sets of them within a period without needing all of them. Be smart about charging, its not hard when they last 20 hours. Not saying there should be the usually way of usb out of the box, but damn its really not hard to keep them all charged to play with friends.

Hasney

Because a modern day controller like the Xbone controller, PS4 controller, or hell... The Wii U Pro controller, can be charged while I'm playing a game. They also take standard USBs that everybody has lying around the house, so it's easy to plug in and charge several controllers.

Whereas by default, you can only charge one set of joy-cons at a time, and you can only do so while not playing the console, or while playing it portably.

What about the other sets of joy-cons for local multiplayer?

XB1 controller needs a play and charge kit. This is a play out of their handbook that I assumed Nintendo were copying to not leave money on the table. So it's only Sony that charges out of the box.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The battery will eventually run out, though. If you want to continue playing on your television, you'll have to shell out for a pro controller or a charging grip. It's not hard to understand.

Well, if you're diligent about just putting them back on the docked tablet everytime you finish playing they'll probably never die on you (until years down the road when the battery won't hold a charge) given the 20 hour battery life is correct.

Still too much hassle for some (myself included) to move them back and forth that often though.

azyless

The Joy Cons get 20 hours of battery apparently. Your not gonna do a 20 hour in one shot gameplay session. So just attach them to the console between sessions.

This seems like people looking for something to complain about.
It means if you didn't go through the slightly inconvenient ritual of taking them off the grip, on the dock, and back on the grip again, and your batteries die on you mid-play, then you're out of luck if you want to play on TV. What if you have 2 sets of JoyCons ? Can't recharge them both at the same time unless you give Nintendo that extra 30€.
Yes the batteries from what we've heard seem amazing and this isn't some dramatic issue. It's still a negative.
It just feels incredibly cheap to not have included it imo.

Jarmel

Banned
Ok so the Joycons themselves don't have a USB port and can only be charged initially by connecting it to the main unit which has a USB charger. This then results in the player losing the ability to play off their TV as they would switch to the unit. Is that right?

PSFan

What?

I'm saying that the Switch isn't like modern day consoles, in that by default, you cannot charge the joy-cons while playing if they're connected to a docked console.

I'm shaming the Switch, not the Wii U, PS4, and Xbone.

Sorry, my bad. I read it wrong. Just disregard.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
EDIT: ^^^YUP

From what I took

The Switch Console is essentially the in-the-box charger

Meaning to charge the JoyCons they will need to be plugged/snapped into the Switch after use to charge the JoyCons

or you can buy the Accessory which is the 'Battery' with an actual USB plug that chargers all three together
The charge grip doesn't have a battery.

SRTtoZ

You could say this is a classic bait...

and Switch.

giphy.gif

XB1 controller needs a play and charge kit. This is a play out of their handbook that I assumed Nintendo were copying to not leave money on the table. So it's only Sony that charges out of the box.
You're right, my bad. I forgot I still have to frequently buy AA batteries for my Xbone controllers.

Joy-con doesn't offer that up though.

Hasney

Micro managing the charge of three devices to play a single player game sounds pretty tedious.

Stick em all in the dock overnight. Jobs a goodun.

You're right, my bad. I forgot I still have to frequently buy AA batteries for my Xbone controllers.

Joy-con doesn't offer that up though.

To me, not dealing with AAs gives the Joycons the slight edge if the 20 hours actually pans out in the real world, but yeah, neither is ideal.

Jarmel

Banned
This is so unbelievably stupid that I'm stunned. Why the fuck didn't they just put a small battery on the regular grip?

This is nickle-and-diming tactics.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Ok so the Joycons themselves don't have a USB port and can only be charged initially by connecting it to the main unit which has a USB charger. This then results in the player losing the ability to play off their TV as they would switch to the unit. Is that right?

Exactly.

Unless you buy the $30 charger grip, then if they die you can just plug that into a USB charger via a USB-c cable and keep playing.

Or if you have a pro controller of course. I'll probably just opt for that, overpriced as it is, and just leave the Joy Cons on the tablet all the time.

Can you charge and play the pro controller at the same time?

Yes, it just charges via USB-c.

You can also charge the Joy Cons and play on tv at the same time if you use the $30 charger grip that's sold separately.

Scoobie

Not a big deal to me, as long as the joy cons have comparable battery life to ds4 or xpad when detached from the handheld unit and playing on TV since then it's really no difference?

rtcn63

If only they forewent the expensive tech that makes milking invisible udders a reality and instead made an affordable and cost effective system.

They need to steal back that million dollar cow-milking smartphone game audience

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For people having a hard time understanding.

WHAT IS PACKED IN THE BOX:

WHAT YOU PAY $30 FOR (CHARGING GRIP):

edit: Also:

wU1VJ3E.jpg

Where dat USB-C port at on the main official page???

There are flat pics of the back of the grips too on the site making it very evident the default grip has no charging.

m0MLTWH.jpg

Also this text on the charging grip:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/accessories/index.html
「Joy-Con(L)」と「Joy-Con(R)」を取り付けて、グリップ型のコントローラーとして使用できます。
本体セットに付属している「Joy-Conグリップ」とは異なり、付属のUSB充電ケーブルを使ってプレイ中に「Joy-Con」の充電もできるので、バッテリー切れの心配がありません。
Google said:
You can use "Joy-Con (L)" and "Joy-Con (R)" as a grip type controller.
Unlike the "Joy - Con grip" that comes with the main unit set, you can also charge "Joy - Con" while using the included USB charging cable, so you do not have to worry about running out of the battery.

Kaelan

Exactly.

Unless you buy the $30 charger grip, then if they die you can just plug that into a USB charger via a USB-c cable and keep playing.

Or if you have a pro controller of course. I'll probably just opt for that, overpriced as it is, and just leave the Joy Cons on the tablet all the time.

Yes, it just charges via USB-c.

You can also charge the Joy Cons and play on tv at the same time if you use the $30 charger grip that's sold separately.

I dunno man, I heard the joy cons on the grip feel better than the Pro controller (various journalist tweets) and that the pro controller is meh

Included grip can charge they joy cons, but they won't have a battery that can be used to recharge the joy cons on the go.

Correct?
Incorrect.

Neither has a battery. The $30 one has a USB port for charging the JoyCon while playing. The pack-in is just a shell. The only way to charge the JoyCon without the $30 version is plugging them into the Switch.

Nintendo is making you pay $30 for the convenience of a single USB component.

SRTtoZ

ummm.. but the pack in grip is a battery itself, it charges the joy-cons while playing, right?

No. The pack in grip that comes with the Switch is just a plastic shell, no ability to charge while using it. You need to physically remove the Joy-Cons from the grip and plug them into the sides of the Switch to charge em.

Jarmel

Banned
Let's be real too, that 20 hour battery life number is almost certainly going to be bullshit for the average player. Add on to that, degradation over time and use.

RootCause

Incorrect.

Neither has a battery. The $30 one has a USB port for charging the JoyCon while playing. The pack-in is just s shell. The only way to charge the JoyCon without the $30 version is plugging them into the Switch.

Nintendo is making you pay $30 for the convenience of a single USB component.
Oh, I see. Thanks.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
M-my scoops...

Yeah this is nickel and diming at its most bizarre. Even making the things without the tiny port and wire required is mind boggling.

I'm sure Rumble HD has no effect on 20 hours of battery at all, just straight plain sailing with this device. Nothing to see here.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The messaging on this shit is almost as bad as Microsoft's messaging for the XBO. Good thing this is just a small thing and not the whole console.

rpmurphy

Yes, that's correct. If you want to play in TV mode while JoyCons are charging, either you buy the charging grip accessory, buy a Pro Controller as an alternate controller, or presumably (not confirmed but likely) buy a second set of JoyCons to alternate. Those are the known options at this time that's based off the information given on the official Japanese site.

JP

Dear me.

It's not the end of the world but it's certainly seems poorly thought out. from this I'm assuming that it's going to be a console that they'll be expecting you to leave in standby, because if you switch it off your controller won't charge.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yes, that's correct. If you want to play in TV mode while JoyCons are charging, either you buy the charging grip accessory, buy a Pro Controller as an alternate controller, or presumably (not confirmed but likely) buy a second set of JoyCons to alternate. Those are the known options at this time that's based off the information given on the official Japanese site.

The pricing on that breaks down to:

$30 Charging Grip
--or--
$70 Pro Controller
--or--
$80 Pair of Joy-Con controllers as spares

Jarmel

Banned

I thought the JoyCons themselves had a USB port which would seem to have been the logical design solution in the first place.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not a big deal to me, as long as the joy cons have comparable battery life to ds4 or xpad when detached from the handheld unit and playing on TV since then it's really no difference?

Well the battery life of the Joy Cons is supposedly 20 hours, which makes it all a bit easier to swallow.

But otherwise the difference is with a DS4 you can plug into a USB charger and keep playing on the TV when the controller dies (X1 you can just pop new AA batteries in).

With the Switch, you can't do that out of the box as you have to connect the Joy Cons to the tablet while docked/plugged into charge and thus can't play on the TV. You have to buy the separate $30 charger grip to play on the TV and charge at the same time.

rokero

20 hours of continuous playtime isn't enough ? I don't see the issue here I you leave the joycons charging every time you go to sleep you'll never run out of juice ever

Top Bottom