• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch doesn't come with Joy-Con charging grip

Madao

eerrr..

that's dirty. how much more would it have cost to route a usb cable inside the handle that comes with the switch? not $30.

I really wonder what the margins are on this if they're having to cut wires out of the packed in grip...but that just leaves the broad question of the high prices on the controllers in general.

Yeah this is nickel and diming at its most bizarre. Even making the things without the tiny port and wire required is mind boggling.
This is the same Nintendo that recently didn't include AC adapters in most regions* and has not included video cables on occasion.

*-Heck if you go back to 1986 the Famicom disk system came with an RF extension cord but not an AC adapter. Yeah FDS can run off six C-cell batteries...

CronoShot

20 hours of battery life makes this not a big deal at all. Just put the joycons back on the Switch when you're done.

Kinda annoying, sure, but this is overreacting big time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How can we make more money

Yep. I mean I've got it preordered an all, but with:

-Accessory prices
-Not including the charger grip
-Paid online
-Enhanced ports like MK8 being $60

It does seem like they just went "This will mostly just sell to our fans who buy everything we put out so lets maximize profits by fleecing them for all they're worth."

This is what Nintendo are trying to do to their customers with this abomination:

source.gif

LMAO that gif rules, sorry for the derail but that's funny as shit, perfect usage too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
That's ironic, considering your post can only exist if you didn't even look at the pictures in the OP.

I understand not reading. Reading's hard. But I included pictures.

My bad. I should have figured, considering that's how other Nintendo devices work. Will change in the OP.

Edit: Wait... If the grip is held by one player, how does that make sense?

Maybe the right lights up if that's the primary one you start first? Who knows..

I took the English pics from the US site https://www.nintendo.com/switch/features/
Japanese ones were from https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/specs/index.html#1 and https://www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/switch/accessories/index.html

Skux

Oh it's a USB type C connector? This is the most forward thinking decision Nintendo has made in years lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
20 hours of battery life makes this not a big deal at all. Just put the joycons back on the Switch when you're done.

Kinda annoying, sure, but this is overreacting big time.

It's not overreacting when shit is confusing as hell. People on the Treehouse stream were literally showing the Charging Grip and claiming that is what came in the box.

In case it hasn't been posted already

The charging grip with USB-C port ('charging grip' is literally is the name of the file if you save it from the Nintendo's website):
wPxWY8Z.jpg

The grip that comes with the console, with no USB-C port
sf3Jc3P.jpg

---
How do we even charge the joy controllers? By attaching them to the console?

Kaelan

I fucking love this thread LOL. Man nintendo needs to communicate better, even everyone here can't' get it right even when the facts and pictures are in front of them lol..

BibiMaghoo

This is confusing.

So, all the controllers have a battery, but the ones that come with the console can only be charged when docked with the console itself, so in order to charge while you play, you need to buy a new one with a USB port?

Is that accurate?

azyless

Looking at how the LEDs line up with the grip they could just be see-through plastic that pass through the light from the Joy Cons?
Yes they probably are. Wouldn't make sense to include LEDs on a plastic shell when holes do the trick really.

This is confusing.

So, all the controllers have a battery, but the ones that come with the console can only be charged when docked with the console itself, so in order to charge while you play, you need to buy a new one with a USB port?

Is that accurate?
No battery on either of the grips. The charging grip has a USB port to charge the joycons. The pack-in grip is just a plastic shell like the wheels are.
To charge the joycons you can either put them on the docked Switch, or buy a Charging Grip and connect that to the Switch via USB.

Man, a lot of these threads for this cropping up. Even without the charging grip, these suckers get close to 20hrs before they need to be recharged. Like many people have stated before, unless you plan on going for a 20hr long gaming session, you'll be putting this things back on the tablet when they're not in use and within 3.5 hrs you'll have a full recharge. Its honestly the same thing as a PS4 controller guys and that controller definitely doesn't have a 20hr lifespan and I'm doing fine by just docking it when not in use.

I guess the issue here is that the new of the grip and the charging grip is too similar? Or just people want to keep the anger going from last night?

The persecution complex is real.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I really wonder the margins are on this if they're having to cut wires out of the packed in grip...but that just leaves the broad question of the high prices on the controllers in general.

This is the same Nintendo that recently didn't include AC adapters in most regions* and has not included video cables on occasion.

*-Heck if you go back to 1986 the Famicom disk system came with an RF extension cord but not an AC adapter. Yeah FDS can run off six C-cell batteries...

Complained about the AC adaptor situation a lot back in the day. What gets me is that omitted a whole thing altogether and you could say it saved on weight, on space, on making the plastics.

Here they included a purposefully shittier version to save the price on the usb port metal and wire. Literal nickel. Fucking poetry.

Mortemis

Banned
For people having a hard time understanding.

WHAT IS PACKED IN THE BOX:

WHAT YOU PAY $30 FOR (CHARGING GRIP):

edit: Also:

wU1VJ3E.jpg

Where dat USB-C port at on the main official page???

Wtf is this? They made two different joy-con grips, one that doesn't charge (included), and one that charges (that's $30)?

They really tryna charging $30 for a USB C port?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How do we even charge the joy controllers? By attaching them to the console?

Yes, that's the only way if you don't buy the charging grip.

Battery life is supposed to be 20 hours, so its not a huge deal IF you aren't annoyed by moving them back and forth from the grip and tablet to charge/play on tv.

This isn't confirmed, as the title implies.

It is confirmed. It's shown 100% clearly in spec sheets directly from Nintendo of Japan's website.

Jasoneyu

I wonder if the joycons actually interface with the switch when they are plugged into the device itself. I know it provides power but what if it is wirelessly connected constantly even while as a single unit.

This is confusing.

Is that accurate?
Nah. All the controllers have battery, otherwise they wouldn't work wireless. It is just about how you can charge them. The grip with the charger allows you to charge the joy-cons while playing; the one coming with the console is just a plastic grip.

It is really a problem if you want to buy a new set of joycons; that way the only way to charge them will be to swap the them with the ones already attached to the console, OR pay $30 to buy a grip with a charger

ViciousDS

Banned
If they make an app to control the thing at night while I stream I'll be happy enough. I can charge the controllers and use my phone to select movies and what not.

But I'll be pissednif the controllers start dying mid use and I have to buy an accessory just to charge the fucking things while playing

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What on earth? The Grip is better than the pro controller?

I'm curious about this too. Would be fine by me as $30 for a charging grip is easier to stomach than $70 for a pro controller if people like the feel of the joy cons on grip better than the pro pad.

NoPiece

They obviously have one designed with one.. except you have to pay $30.

I'd love to see the manufacturing cost on it. $1? $2? For the $299 price, should be included. It least it is ripe for a less expensive third party option. I 'd be surprised if we don't see a $4.99 for a "clone" charging grip, and $14.99 for one with a battery pack.

-shadow-

And there is the catch. I knew that there has to be something that was going to be off. The bundle was too good to be true. Luckily there's still a way to charge, but still.

timshundo

The overreaction in here is [fire emoji]

Y'all are worried you're gonna use the joycons for 20 hrs straight then have to stop gaming cuz you gotta reattach them to the switch to recharge? Like this is all some big, scammy oversight...

BibiMaghoo

No battery on either of the grips. The charging grip has a USB port to charge the joycons. The pack-in grip is just a plastic shell like the wheels are.
To charge the joycons you can either put them on the docked Switch, or buy a Charging Grip and connect that to the Switch via USB.

Nah. All the controllers have battery, otherwise they wouldn't work wireless. It is just about how you can charge them. The grip with the charger allows you to charge the joy-cons while playing; the one coming with the console is just a plastic grip.

It is really a problem if you want to buy a new set of joycons; that way the only way to charge them will be to swap the them with the ones already attached to the console, OR pay $30 to buy a grip with a charger

Thanks for the clarification.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I still don't understand what is going on.

How can Nintendo's big system reveal that they've been delaying for awhile be this confusing?

I am at a loss. Right before the launch they released a massively confusing set of info. Delaying the system till Holidays 2017 would have been better than rushing to market like this, but right now they are already in a close the box and sell it phase that it would not allow them to thinker much with the HW (they would have needed to take this decision six months ago) with the risk of it being more out of date although their software lineup and documentation/marketing would benefit.

Y'all are worried you're gonna use the joycons for 20 hrs straight then have to stop gaming cuz you gotta reattach them to the switch to recharge? Like this is all some big, scammy oversight...
Hey, what if you forget to charge them and you run out of battery while playing? You can't play on TV anymore. Though you can still play with them attached to the console in portable mode. Though I agree, it is still much better than a 360 controller or wiimote running out of battery [at least unless you always have spare AA arounds]

Could someone in the know clarify... Is 30 dollars a fair price for a shell that has a USB port to charge and nothing else? Or is it a huge ripoff? I don't want to judge or make a wrong decision without really knowing.

Zemm

So they're charging $30 for a USB port? Are they serious?

Could someone in the know clarify... Is 30 dollars a fair price for a shell that has a USB port to charge and nothing else? Or is it a huge ripoff? I don't want to judge or make a wrong decision without really knowing.

In your heart of hearts I think you know the answer.

It's a rip-off, and quite scummy in my opinion, $30 for a USB port lol

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

People also just don't want to hassle with moving the joycons back and forth between grip and docked tablet--especially if they're only gaming on TV.

It's not outrageous or anything, just seems silly to not include the charging dock given it doesn't have a battery and just has a USB port and charger contacts in the rail. I mean how much more can that cost vs. the plastic shell they're including?

Also would be less of an issue of the Pro controller weren't $70.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm really baffled that they didn't include the charging version in the box. If I bought everything I wanted, it looks like I would be buying $100 worth of controller accessories at launch... *shudder*

Yep. I mean I've got it preordered an all, but with:

-Accessory prices
-Not including the charger grip
-Paid online
-Enhanced ports like MK8 being $60

It does seem like they just went "This will mostly just sell to our fans who buy everything we put out so lets maximize profits by fleecing them for all they're worth."

Kind of, yeah. If the sales aren't great, I expect accessory prices will drop. On some of them (like the dock), it seems they're doing a massive markup. As is, if these accessories are as expensive as Nintendo is suggesting, that would mean the Switch tablet itself costs around $110-$120*... On the bright side, though, that would theoretically mean tablet iterations and upgrades would be cheap! That's purely (and only) theoretical, though...

*$300 console - ($90 dock + $80 controller + <$30 grip)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Might be the largest markup of a controller yet.

If a DS4 costs $18 to manufacture, the Charging Grip probably costs $3.

Top Bottom