• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Ashodin

The phone app coming this summer 2017 is another buried lede. It's likely to be there alongside either ARMS or Splatoon 2.

wildfire

Banned
Totally lame feature set. They didn't go the extra mile so I'm less likely to pay for online.

I know most of you guys find this price acceptable but compared to pc gaming options this is hard to accept.

kevin1025

Banned
Super curious what this means for Virtual Console, if it's the supposed Netflix-like service, if it's like PS+ with this subscription, or is full-on delayed to 2018, as well.

Neoxon

Hopefully the delay can ensure that everything's to our liking when the paid service goes up. That said, $20 for one year doesn't sound so bad.

"Nintendo Switch Online includes ongoing access to a library of classic games you can take anywhere!"
That straight up sounds like a Netflix style VC service.

VICI0US

The phone app thing is incredible, surreal that such a big company is doing that in 2018.

Pretty sure it's a technical choice.

A large chunk of system resources on the xb1/ps4 are dedicated to the OS (only 5GB of the 8GB of RAM is actually available to games, for instance, due to OS bloat)

By farming off functionality to an external device and having an extremely minimalist OS they're able to save as much of the system's processing power as possible for games. I believe only .75GB of RAM is used for switch's OS, for example.

I still want to see more details on the lobby integration between the smartphone and switch. Does it start a game automatically for me with the desired people right from the phone?

But one convenience of the app is that it's far easier to do text chat on your phone compared to your console, and probably even the switch in handheld mode.

How is it more convenient? Switch has touch screen typing.

Sounds like you and alot of you are trying to jedi mind trick yourself into this being a good idea... All i can see is... Yo dragon lets go over here to attack... Ring ring... Dragon are you there? Oh I'm sorry had a call.. Well gee thanks.. We just got destroyed while you took your call.

Dmax3901

It's so weird to have online play be free for essentially the first year of a console, then to charge for it later. I'm not complaining... but why not have online play be free forever, and have the $4 a month be just for the games/discounts.

Totakeke

How is it more convenient? Switch has touch screen typing.

Sounds like you and alot of you are trying to jedi mind trick yourself into this being a good idea... All i can see is... Yo dragon lets go over here to attack... Ring ring... Dragon are you there? Oh I'm sorry had a call.. Well gee thanks.. We just got destroyed while you took your call.

Ever touch typed on a larger tablet?

Totally lame feature set. They didn't go the extra mile so I'm less likely to pay for online.

I know most of you guys find this price acceptable but compared to pc gaming options this is hard to accept.
If you want to compare to PC then almost nothing is acceptable.

watershed

Banned
Alright, I'm cool with this. It will be free long enough for me to find out if I even need these features and if I do, $20 for the year is dirt cheap.

If it's a Netflix style selection of Nes games, I won't mind trying out the service once if there are still games that I wanna play online then since arms and Splatoon will be out for some time already and I will most likely be playing other offline games by then.

I was just thinking that the fact we got these details posted so close to E3 might mean their spotlight is already packed with announcements and they decided to post the online details to make room for other stuff. Unlikely but one can hope!

duckroll

It's so weird to have online play be free for essentially the first year of a console, then to charge for it later. I'm not complaining... but why not have online play be free forever, and have the $4 a month be just for the games/discounts.

Because DeNA wants to get paid.

Yukinari

So they refocused the original offer of only keeping a free NES or SNES game for a month into letting you own multiple games at once?

I mean paying a fraction of the price of PS+ makes sense cause otherwise it would be even worse.

Madness

Nintendo is the one that needs to take notes. Sony and Microsoft can justify the $60. Nintendo online doesn't have much to justify more than $20.

This. Like Nintendo offers free online now, so what are they charging $20 for that gives you something special? MS gives you free game downloads, all MS titles use dedicated servers, full party chat, voice chat, cloud saves, onedrive storage, and free twitch and mixer streaming, app support for things like HBO and Netflix, cross game in console chat, achievements, looking for games, clubs etc.

Naturally would I like it cheaper, sure. But you are going from free on Wii U to $20 a year on Switch with little added benefit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I can hardly contain my excitement.

I guess Nintendo at least with it enough to announce this 2 weeks before E3, so the media doesn't bother them as much about it.

jobrro

Want to know more about this Classic Game Selection, is it where you will get one game for a month like stated previously? Do they choose the game or do we from a library?

Hopefully they talk about it more at E3 or in an interview or press release.

$20 for a year doesn't seem too bad. Heck with Nintendo I could probably just pay the $8 for 3 months when a new online game comes out if I don't think I am going to be playing year round.

So, will subscribers get a free VC title every month to add to their personal library, or will it be a new game added to an online library that everyone has access to regardless of when their subscription started? I thought it would be the former for sure based on what we heard earlier this year, but the tweets make it sound like the latter.

Also, $20 is pretty fair price.

I wouldn't read too much into the Classic Games being any sort of Netflix like service. It's probably still a rotating offer of free shit for each month. If they were offering VC as a full library service, it will NOT be 20 bucks a year. :p
Oh yeah, I guess a rotating library is another option. Seems like the most likely too, unfortunately.

duckroll

I wouldn't read too much into the Classic Games being any sort of Netflix like service. It's probably still a rotating offer of free shit for each month. If they were offering VC as a full library service, it will NOT be 20 bucks a year. :p

Top Bottom