• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Nintendo is the one that needs to take notes. Sony and Microsoft can justify the $60. Nintendo online doesn't have much to justify more than $20.

How do you know? You telling me you can see the future? What makes you so sure that from now till launch in 2018 they wouldn't add more features to make it worth $20 a year?

At $60 right now I can Tell you Sony and Ms services don't equal what they are worth.

Totakeke

I mean, to an extent, yeah. Defending it without explaining why you don't like the approach helps ensure that they don't improve/change it.

Uh, I'm pretty sure the other threads today has been pretty vocal about why people don't like their current system. Just because I say one potential good thing of their system doesn't mean only what I say matters.

I'm thinking that means a rotating selection of games like they originally said, but if it is a steady library that'd be fantastic.

My question is if there will be a VC separate from this. Considering they charged (and people paid) $7.99 for SNES games and $9.99 for N64 games on Wii U, offering their entire library for a year for only $20 seems too good to be true to me.

Hattori

Banned
I expect 3 rotating NES games a month, eventually adding SNES, N64, GameCube to mix. If it entices people then they can buy at a discount while game is in rotation.

$20 more than online play should ever cost when the money isn't actually going to the companies responsible for game server infrastructure. And yes, Sony and Microsoft can be damned for it to. I don't pay them.

It's Nintendo though, so I'll pay. I'm just going to be really, really, perpetually bitter about it.

Seik

Banned
20$ is very reasonable, count me in!

That delay gives me hope that it could maybe end up less barebone than I expected, fingers crossed!

Neiteio

This is disappointing, I was expecting Nintendo to pay me $20/year and to include a new 3D F-Zero for free, wtf Nintendo

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Why 0 and not free?
People gravitate to the use of numbers as the pop more in text. That is a good question though because free does illicit some positive connotation, but I can see how it could mean cheap since people still associate Nintendo with cheap sometimes. I asked 0 since he used 5 though.

My question is if there will be a VC separate from this. Considering they charged (and people paid) $7.99 for SNES games and $9.99 for N64 games on Wii U, offering their entire library for a year for only $20 seems too good to be true to me.

Personally I think it's an increasing amount of rotating games per month with a chance to buy them permanently at discount.

Ashodin

They should pay users to use it. Drinks all around!

tumblr_mqrnnxwOPr1r73erdo2_400.gif

I can live with $20 a year. VC service sounds good in theory (let's see in practice). The voice chat "solution" is still stupid, though, but I'll live.

Jubenhimer

I'm thinking that means a rotating selection of games like they originally said, but if it is a steady library that'd be fantastic.

The way it's worded now, sound like it's going to be a single compilation of games with online play, and nothing about it being only for a month. Sounds like they changed it completely.

I too would rather have a collection that sticks on my console, I like ownership per game.

If it's some rotational thing and there's no separate virtual console where you can buy games individually, meh.

Also, will I be able to download them and have them on my Switch when not online? It seems like such a Nintendo move for the games to be limited to online only.

duckroll

This is disappointing, I was expecting Nintendo to pay me $20/year and to include a new 3D F-Zero for free, wtf Nintendo

Yeah, exactly. It's disgusting that you make all those threads for free without getting paid promotional fees. Fuck Nintendo.

Futureman

The original Virtual Console was so cool. That was a big reason the Wii was a hit.

One upping that with a Netflix style VC would be sooooo great. Hopefully they reveal full details at E3.

Hilarion

Depends on how much better their licensing agreements for third party classic titles are.

Hence why I suggested that it ends up going from 143 combined NES/SNES for the Wii U to about 180 combined for the Switch. Honestly, there isn't a lot on the NES outside of a few Square games like the Dragon Quest Warrior and Final Fantasy games that is both worth playing and wasn't on that 92 game NES list for the Wii U. Any expansion is going to have to be on the SNES front, and you can easily come up with 10-12 Square games to fit the bill, but past that, you're going to have some trouble finding things that weren't on the Wii U VC that are easily licensed. Like basically all of Natsume's, Capcom's, Koei's, and Konami's SNES games are already VC.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Don't like this at all but price seems reasonable. No idea how the vc works. More info at e3?

The way it's worded now, sound like it's going to be a single compilation of games with online play, and nothing about it being only for a month. Sounds like they changed it completely.
I really, really hope so, I just don't want to get my hopes up. I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if Nintendo did this for $20 a year.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Good to see Game Pass already having an influence. Competition is great.

The Netflix style for VC is a great way to do it vs the original plan.

-Horizon-

But is it also a revolving library of games?
If they let you gain access to an ever growing library of vc games then I say that it more than justifies the price.
But I recall them saying you only get access to one game for only one month and then it gets removed and changed.

Unless of course nintendo actually took in feedback from the backlash of that initial announcement and made the correct changes.

Top Bottom