• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

So, will subscribers get a free VC title every month to add to their personal library, or will it be a new game added to an online library that everyone has access to regardless of when their subscription started? I thought it would be the former for sure based on what we heard earlier this year, but the tweets make it sound like the latter.

Also, $20 is pretty fair price.

It sounds more like the latter to me. Also the fact that they mention "Classic Game Selection" as separate from the eShop implies to me that this isn't a VC replacement, but another thing. VC I figure would be the games in their original state, available for everyone. "CGS" is NES games (and hopefully other libraries' games) with online play, and are a perk of the online subscription.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if the app and infrastructure simply won't be ready in time and that's why it's being delayed. I really want to know what the full version of the app is going to include. I'm expecting a Direct or press release in December-February to explain it. $20 sounds good, and the complementary games sound more appealing now. I wonder what this feature and delay mean for Virtual Console.

As a result of the delay, I'm feeling more comfortable in my expectation that Smash Switch is an early 2018 title.

Also, the detail that not every game will require it...I wonder which games won't. For some reason, Pokémon is what comes to mind.

notaskwid

So, will subscribers get a free VC title every month to add to their personal library, or will it be a new game added to an online library that everyone has access to regardless of when their subscription started? I thought it would be the former for sure based on what we heard earlier this year, but the tweets make it sound like the latter.
The way they've put it before was that you would only access to the game while it was a part of the service. Meaning that unlike psplus, you can't play it after the next rotation happens.

VanWinkle

But one convenience of the app is that it's far easier to do text chat on your phone compared to your console, and probably even the switch in handheld mode.

You're looking at this the wrong way, man. That stuff is great, and is indeed the convenience of a console having a smartphone companion app. It's great on PS4 and Xbox One. The problem is having the smartphone app being the ONLY way to do this stuff. THAT's the real issue.

This is great news to be honest. It's the absolute right move to keep online play free until next year. Also, $20/month is a good value considering you're getting classic games to download for free, with added online play. I think this is a solid value.

This. Like Nintendo offers free online now, so what are they charging $20 for that gives you something special? MS gives you free game downloads, all MS titles use dedicated servers, full party chat, voice chat and free twitch and mixer streaming, app support for things like HBO and Netflix, cross game in console chat, achievements, looking for games, clubs etc.

Naturally would I like it cheaper, sure. But you are going from free on Wii U to $20 a year on Switch with little added benefit.
Sony gave you online for free so what did them charging give you something special?

Arguments like locking app support behind their paywall is not a good argument. If you're fine with Sony and Microsoft charging and not Nintendo it's just because the others have already set up those expectations and Nintendo haven't yet.

$60 a year for what Microsoft and Sony provide is robbery.

Smart to price it at $20. I don't know if Nintendo could siphon off many users at a 50/60 price tag. 5 bucks a month isn't much, but people don't like paying it twice.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i aint paying you shit unless you at least give me something in return.

free games, or at least cloud saves.
Allready crawling back on your statement in 1 post.
Weakling.

Hmm nes games.. common guys give me some snes games.
Dont start the garbage cycle from start again.

Mariolee

$20 is an OK price for a rotating round of VC and shitty voice chat. Hoping more details at E3 to make this more enticing.

The $20 sounds like a reasonable firewall for trolls. It's easier to ban you if you're trolling and have to pay $20 for an account. Kinda like GAF's paid email registration.

CamHostage

They're not going to start with Mario Bros Advance multiplayer? There was a time when EVERY game came packed with Mario Bros Advance multiplayer...

For serious, though, a really good online 4P version of classic Mario Bros, with perhaps different character skins (or even actually different characters for competitive challenge) would be a worthy game in the Nintendo catalog. Mario Bros Battle was a good time for those who actually got the cords out to play it, and I'd like to see it done even better for this generation.

13307.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ashodin

I wouldn't read too much into the Classic Games being any sort of Netflix like service. It's probably still a rotating offer of free shit for each month. If they were offering VC as a full library service, it will NOT be 20 bucks a year. :p*

jo8D6Fz.png

$20 for online enabled NES/SNES games?

I'll take it. The potential is there for stuff like online Mario Kart, Contra, Tecmo Bowl...and the classic, Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball,

Kouriozan

So you keep the monthly games forever now? Or they just forgot to mention it?
Would be more inclined to sub if we keep those, since I almost never play online, well at least until Pokémon and Animal Crossing.

Giga Man

20 bucks a year is probably the correct price.

Yep. Nintendo had a lot of time to observe the services of their competition. If it was any higher, they would have looked like idiots.

If this gets GameCube games, I might pay for the service. I've always wanted to play Custom Robo and Star Fox Assault online.

E3 will be full of please be patient and we apologize, no VC till next yr, paid service, etc. Can't wait for them to destroy momentum. I hope I'm wrong, just based Nintendo from the past.

jph139

$20 is a decent price. Less than $2 a month. I can live with it.

Really want more details on the games, though. Are they permanent? As long as you're subscribed? All at once or do they revolved on, like, a monthly basis?

watershed

Banned
This is great news to be honest. It's the absolute right move to keep online play free until next year. Also, $20/month is a good value considering you're getting classic games to download for free, with added online play. I think this is a solid value.
$20 a year. $20 a month would be terrible.

kunonabi

not a bad price but still doesn't seem worth it unless the eshop sales are actually considerable. Considering Nintendo is grabbing every dime they can these days I don't see that really happening though.

Totakeke

You're looking at this the wrong way, man. That stuff is great, and is indeed the convenience of a console having a smartphone companion app. It's great on PS4 and Xbox One. The problem is having the smartphone app being the ONLY way to do this stuff. THAT's the real issue.

Is this like picking sides and I have to be on one side only? I never said there's no disadvantages to this.

Parapraxis

I wouldn't read too much into the Classic Games being any sort of Netflix like service. It's probably still a rotating offer of free shit for each month. If they were offering VC as a full library service, it will NOT be 20 bucks a year. :p

Exactly, the statement in no way alters the previous plan, people thinking this will be the Netflix of games are taking crazy pills. There's nothing indicating it will be anything beyond the 2 or 3 classic games per month, then revoked that they had already outlined. They are just being more vague so it sounds less awful. (it likely isn't less awful)

Hilarion

The worst part of Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers existing is that we can be damned sure that Capcom will NEVER put any of its SNES Street Fighter games up for this online multiplayer option.

tbm24

Really hoping I don't have to wait until 2018 for the VirtualConsole to be in full swing on the switch.

Top Bottom