• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

jmizzal

Ah okay, I guess the pricing before was just speculation.

Nah that was known beforehand though the wording has changed. It's possibly multiple games and not only for a month. Though this page is pretty sparse, so who knows if that is an actual change.

No I mean the names of some of the games that will have online, last time they just said NES and SNES games

duckroll

jo8D6Fz.png

If Nintendo charges 20 bucks a year for a full library of VC games on demand with online play for select titles, I would be more than happy to eat all the crow while enjoying such an amazing deal.

BigPete

I think they previously said that they will drop the current games when they add more as a way to keep the online lobbies for these full. I guess I'm okay with that.

$20 per year is the right price for this. While I'm not exactly looking forward to it, I'll definitely put down the money as long as they have stable service.

I imagine there will be a lot of DDOS attacks just like Sony and MS get.

It's pretty huge if the monthly games are permanent now, especially if you get 3 per month as this seems to suggest. Also recall they initially said subscribers would get exclusive discounts on new games too, so both of those offers for $20 a year really isn't bad at all.

Thing is, does ongoing mean the life of the subscription, or until they decide to stop offering that game?

Also, still needing to carry around an extra device for base features is still dumb.

Vidiot

I don't imagine Nintendo having many games worth it for online play. Will titles with online play launched before the service launches suddenly require it once it launches? I certainly won't do it for NES games with simplistic online features. Definitely taking a wait and see approach on this one.

If Nintendo charges 20 bucks a year for a full library of VC games on demand with online play for select titles, I would be more than happy to eat all the crow while enjoying such an amazing deal.

I mean, it would probably start with one game and add one game a month.

Ridley327

What online would SMB3 have?

Also, paid online sucks but at least that price is much more reasonable.

It does have a two player mode. The regular SMB3 levels are switching off between players after death, but it does also have a new version of the original Mario Bros. arcade game that you can trigger to gain control of the board where both players can play at once.

Ashodin

I'm assuming they will have to "add games" to the "service" every month instead of just opening up shop with a smorgasbord.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Seriously, something like that would be worth way more than $20 a year. We should be so lucky.

Right, that being said , the person you quoted LOL

My old 33 yr blind ass haha

tTYwfhh.gif

Parshias7

Sounds less like the Netflix of video games and just the PS Plus of Nintendo games.

Download VC titles each month for free, keep them as long as you keep paying for online.

EulaCapra

This came out of nowhere.

Wonder if Nintendo PR saw the GAF Switch Voicechat thread and wanted to counter all that noise lol.

Parapraxis

Thing is, does ongoing mean the life of the subscription, or until they decide to stop offering that game?

Also, still needing to carry around an extra device for base features is still dumb.

Ongoing, as in, every month you'll get a couple new titles and the old ones will be removed. I have no idea where people are getting the idea that the original plan changed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If you look at the tentative name "Classic Game Selection" the intent seems pretty clear. It's a model built to rotate a small selection of titles in and out. There should be no expectation for an expanding library of titles.

EhoaVash

shit $20 sounds nice

don't really care about vc games,

but i'm A-Okay with $20 if it means i can play smash 5, mario kart 9, splatoon 2 online.

Quonny

I can't imagine the VC offerings being incredible if it's only $20 a year. I mean, they featured Balloon Fight, so, yeah.

But still, $20 is low enough and a smart move for an unproven service.

Doorman

Since I'd expected this to be $25 initially going from that investor's meeting comment by Kimishima, I'm fine with the twenty-spot. Continued access and otherwise-free updates to stuff like ARMS and Splatoon 2 is probably worth it to me, even better if they're improving the weird-ass one-per-month model they were originally going with for classic game releases.

I'm curious about what the "select discounts" are going to be. I have a gut feeling they won't be terribly worthwhile but I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

bounchfx

a free year then 20$ for the entire year after? yeah, i'm fine with that. Xbox live and PSN were 50 a year for a long ass time before we even got ps+/game with gold

also, classic games with added online play? thats fucking dope, surprised people arent more excited about the possibilities hah

Deft Beck

The $20 sounds like a reasonable firewall for trolls. It's easier to ban you if you're trolling and have to pay $20 for an account. Kinda like GAF's paid email registration.

Paid membership will not stop trolls of any form. Something Awful's forums are a prime example of this.

Anyway, for those who think Nintendo's online service setup is strange, think of the primary demographics of the Switch in the domestic and international markets.

The domestic market (Japan) is full of mobage gamers who are increasingly unlikely to have a home console. Online multiplayer games on the 3DS were either played ad-hoc (Monster Hunter) or otherwise featured mostly canned communication options. Many online titles didn't even require any discrete communication between players.

The international market (the West, Asia, etc.) has more console saturation, as well as more people who are equipped with the necessary accessories (headsets, etc.) for online multiplayer. There are many more people who are used to services such as PSN/Xbox Live, as well as many people with smartphones, like Japan.

In short, Nintendo wishes to bridge the gap between smartphone-savvy Japanese Switch owners who may not be fully equipped for infrastructure online multiplayer, and Western players who are already ready for the experience. Nintendo is only as prepared as they feel they had to be, given their history with online multiplayer, and the pressure they faced to adopt its tenets.

The_Dama

The headset costs more than the online service lol
$20 is a good price for an app and a very very basic online service

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmmm...I wonder if they'll exclude Pokémon from the paywall. It's probably just an in case they get a lot of MMOs though.

Sad that the classic titles are just going to be around for a month and then rotate out to a different set or just single title. Really wish they'd just open the library up.

VanWinkle

Is this like picking sides and I have to be on one side only? I never said there's no disadvantages to this.

I mean, to an extent, yeah. Defending it without explaining why you don't like the approach helps ensure that they don't improve/change it.

Hilarion

Sounds less like the Netflix of video games and just the PS Plus of Nintendo games.

Download VC titles each month for free, keep them as long as you keep paying for online.

How long could they keep that going, though?

Wii U VC had 92 NES titles + 51 SNES titles, =143 total NES + SNES. Let's say Nintendo ends up releasing all of those games eventually, plus enough others to bring the total up to 180 NES + SNES titles.

Over the course of 3 years they'd give away the entire library at a 3 game a month rate, and within 1 year they'd have given away all games with worthwhile multiplayer, which seems to be the hook here.

Either they expand the free games with multiplayer to include other systems (GBA, N64, Turbografx), or they'll have to maybe start off at three games a month and slow it down to 2 or 1.

EDIT: Math fail.

Top Bottom