• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ombala

So, let us see:

- 330€/280£
- Online paywall
- 70€ regular controller.
- 32GB.
- 720p, 1080p with slightly better Wii U / PS3 / 360 graphics.
- Remember the "no games" PS3 meme? Well it's back, except this time it's infinitely worse.
- Biggest game comes out for the Wii U too.
- 32GB

In a market where both Microsoft and Sony –which have sold millions of their more powerful consoles already– are releasing even better hardware.
Nintendo rushes a ridiculously overpriced, severely underpowered console that will 100% have less third party support than Wii U. The same mistake they did two times already. Third time's a charm I guess?

Are we missing something? Are they completely out of their minds? Is this actually a joke? I mean, anyone who knows anything about this industry knows this is a death sentence.

It's not necessarily a good thing that Nintendo will go third party after they bankrupt because of this complete disaster, but I'm glad the console itself will tank hard for trying to jump on the scammy online paywall.

They are absolutely done for.
Yeah and add a memory card for 50 if you wanna go digital.

I'll summarize

tumblr_n9a80xVi1j1tybfhmo1_250.gif

I have to say, the reactions tonight reminded me a lot of the initial Wii name reveal meltdown. My god, was that an amazing day to be a lurker. That thread was LEGENDARY.

sgs2008

I can only really get excited for the switch from a handheld point of view. Looking at it as a home console, its quite underwhelming.

Vena

I have to say, the reactions tonight reminded me a lot of the initial Wii name reveal meltdown. My god, was that an amazing day to be a lurker. That thread was LEGENDARY.

Its been real jarring for me, since I was at a gathering for this with a bunch of VGC folk who are all over the spectra, and I went from very positive to GAF in meltdown when I got home.

Was quite funny.

BBboy20

I never wanted a hybrid system in the first place, and I doubt many actually did. Because a hybrid inevitably leads to it being the worst of both worlds. At the very least it's a jack of all trades, master of none.

It's not a great portable because it's big, it's comparatively expensive and has a shit battery life.
It's not a great home console because it's very underpowered and suffering from all kinds of weird design decisions necessary for it being portable (like say, the pitiful storage capacity).

Nobody really wins here unless you were right in the exact niche Nintendo is targeting.
The world does not want handhelds anymore.

Consoles are becoming old hat.

Nintendo are experts at both.

Thus, let their powers combine.

I AM CAPTAIN NINTENDO!!!!!!

They are just trying to go for the lottery win, spending their r and d on creating gimmicks they think will catch fire like the Wii did instead of just making a good gaming console. At least they have ambition I guess, they tried to go big.

No they don't. The Switch doesn't sound ambition too me. Sony's PS4 was ambitious, even the Xbox One you could call ambitious with all their multimedia focus, the Switch just sounds like a portable Wii U.
Sony was hungry after the PS3, just as Microsoft was after the launch debacle, they fought back, I just feel like Nintendo isn't trying anymore.

thenexus6

The actual hardware looks cool, Zelda, Mario and few other games but nothing else really.

- Expensive up the ass
- Going to be impossible to get at launch
-Where are all the games?
- Low specs
- Paid online

The Wii motion shovel ware games are back in full force

I feel like Nintendo really haven't learnt their lesson and can see this going badly for them.

iHaunter

They want something that'd be near impossible and would bankrupt Nintendo?

Gotcha

Consoles don't make money, games do....

Remember when Sony LOST money selling PS3s?

Making great 1st and 3rd party games made them money...

Edit: Personally I think the Switch is already on a bad start. No new interesting IPs, a different take on an old IP albiet extremely pixely and laggy. Non-impressive hardware for 2017 and a 3 hour battery life when not docked. I wasn't blown away, Zelda looked interesting, I did NOT like the cartoony look of Xenoblade 2 having beaten Chronicles X the graphics of 2 don't impress me at all. Not everything has to be about graphics, obviously. I would just like ONE SERIOUS game out of Nintendo that doesn't look like an anime character or cartoon. Lacking games like The Last of Us for example, as a serious genre, I just don't think Nintendo will do well. Not everyone wants silly games 24/7 or constant HD Remakes of games from the early 2000s.

Zedark

They are just trying to go for the lottery win, spending their r and d on creating gimmicks they think will catch fire like the Wii did instead of just making a good gaming console. At least they have ambition I guess, they tried to go big.

I find it so strange that they had such a focus on the motion controls, as if they are trying to introduce the exact same gimmick that sold the wii once again. This fuddled the message so much, to the point where I felt like I was watching a wii unveiling.

I seriously believe that the price is because they want to squeeze early adopters. There's no way they believe that this is a good.price after 3DS and Wii U.

Mendrox

if they showed the UI people would be complaining about wasted presentation time.

also the comparison to the xbox handheld is flawed as switch has nintendo games

also lets not forget that E3 is around the corner once this launches. there will be more announcements there. Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Arms, Splatoon 2 does not seem to bad and we may also see some more ports (if anybody is excited for that. I for one am at least excited to see mario kart 8 as a portable game)

its skyrim portable though. there was a time when FF6 on GBA was a big deal

You could already play Skyrim portable for years though and not even with bad performance. It's not about Xbox handheld, but Xbox 360 graphics or well literally the same as the Wii U. With FF6 back then it was a way different time where smartphones weren't even on the market.

Zemm

I set my expectations for this console so low, and somehow Nintendo smashed right through that floor.

It's impressive how they are so consistent in fucking things up.

Coda

I'm excited about the hardware, not in terms of all the gimmicky bullshit they showed, but rather to finally reach a point where handheld and console are one.

My concern is the games, and right now Nintendo failed to show gamers that they're happening. This could all change in the coming days but I remain hopelessly skeptical.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure why the Pro controller is even needed if the console is coming with 2 joycons and a grip for it.

Also I asked this in another thread but it went unanswered. Does the joycon controller have pointer functionality? Seems crazy to have motion controls without a pointer.

Also is the touch screen multi touch?

Assuming it has wiimote+ quality gyros it can do a pointer like that. And the IR camera can detect objects - so assuming the dock has IR lights on it (or the top part of the switch poking out works like that) then it could also track that like a Wii for IR pointer

They're fragmenting though - I hope the pro controller has HD rumble otherwise you can't guarantee the user will feel it. Likewise with the split joycons, dual motion (like in ARMS) - pro controller or even joycons attached to the switch won't support that, so devs will have to figure out all the permutation. Often that will end up meaning lowest common denominator and the more advanced features being ignored

KooopaKid

Banned
Yeah that wasn't very good. Back to reality I guess. Nintendo needed to go cheaper and show more.
It won't take off at that price. Main problem is the price and future.
It really needed to be 250€ to compete. Looks like the joy-cons are too expensive for that.
All is not over though, Zelda on that screen is really, really tempting and the hardware has a lot of potential, a lot more than Wii U. A price reduction would change quite the perception. The paid online though...stupid, it's not like Nintendo line-up is online intensive.

saskuatch

I find it so strange that they had such a focus on the motion controls, as if they are trying to introduce the exact same gimmick that sold the wii once again. This fuddled the message so much, to the point where I felt like I was watching a wii unveiling.

The irony is the budget for those joy cons was probably absolutely massive, and their cost I bet is a large chunk of the console. But I just fucking want Zelda with a god damn normal controller in 1080p, thats all I want....

Zedark

I'm excited about the hardware, not in terms of all the gimmicky bullshit they showed, but rather to finally reach a point where handheld and console are one.

My concern is the games, and right now Nintendo failed to show gamers that they're happening. This could all change in the coming days but I remain hopelessly skeptical.

Me too, shame they focused so much on that motion gimmick. I hope some more games are announced for launch/march to make it a more appealing product to buy right away. Right now the value is not nearly there for me.

Zedark

The irony is the budget for those joy cons was probably absolutely massive, and their cost I bet is a large chunk of the console. But I just fucking want Zelda with a god damn normal controller in 1080p, thats all I want....

Yeah, that crossed my mind too, and it is so infuriating to me: they have such a good gimmick with the hybrid nature already, and then obfuscate it and make it too expensive with a Stupid, outdated motion gimmick. Safe to say Nintendo fucked up there imo.

UberTag

It's not necessarily a good thing that Nintendo will go third party after they bankrupt because of this complete disaster, but I'm glad the console itself will tank hard for trying to jump on the scammy online paywall.

Third-party Nintendo won't develop and publish games for the PlayStation and Xbox ecosystems.
Third-party Nintendo is going to develop and publish games for the iOS ecosystem.
And that makes me doubly sad.

Pretty much. I still think the hardware itself is extremely appealing but the circumstances surrounding it - be it the online paywall, 1-2-Switch not being packed in, the general uncertainty surrounding future games support after launch games being already meagre makes the whole product relatively unappealing. And I really think it can't be overstated enough the effect both the online paywall and 1-2-Switch not being packed-in makes to the general public. I really think the price is not as big of a problem overall concerning the full product.

I'm still going to get it at launch because I want to play Zelda but I know this won't fly for the majority.

I think there is still time to pull it the situation back round, i do think we are closer to the 3ds reveal than Wii u Here. Just for the fact that Nintendo can just keep releasing games for it and people will always be tempted to bite. Also the fact the product is desirable and easy to market.

But yeah, odd for a launch presentation to focus on everything but launch stuff :/

As for pricing, i can understand why it is upset some, but i think people have to be kind of realistic in what the tech is doing, it's form factor etc. Perhaps they put too much tech in the joy cons (but at the same time they didn't do this with the wiimotes and i think that hurt the wii in some way) and the price of other tablets and tech that is pretty comparable with other products.

For me it is the lack of direction surrounding the launch that is bewildering. After they showed platoon, Mario and X2 people reactions on here were starting to get really positive, but then they just brought on people with nothing to say. They stood on stage with EA which was all hot air, and suda who looked liked he just walked in on stage from a night out on the town. That moment there was where they should have hit the home run with a couple extra brand games. Or even a indie show reel with F-zero or something.

To be honest they should have revealed everything they have - even if the E3 games are just brief 1-2 seconds snippets . I don't think people would mind if they had nothing new to reveal if they knew they were getting a look at games like metroid etc.

What gets me is, game releases for the WiiU (and 1st party 3DS to an extent) dramatically slowed down, so they surely must be working on a considerably larger selection of games than what we witnessed.

Why weren't these shown?? They had so long to prep for this event.

I still put in my preorder cause I'll be there day one for a Nintendo consol, but, yeah this showcase was a little thin.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Just watched the presentation and I don't know what to say.. just unbelievable. I'm just glad I didn't wakeup early just to watch it.

First the price - 299$? So they learned nothing from the 3DS launch price.
Other than Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda, everything is just started the development, a gimmick or the same old I mean they don't expect Skyrim to sell units do they?

Even if Zelda at launch at that price I don't think i'm buying the console day 1 and from what they showed in presentation I wish them good luck becuase they'll need it.

If they convince the average consumer to buy this at that price with 1-2 Switch and ARMS what they started the presentation with (clearly not intended for the hardcore) then i'll be impressed.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So, let us see:

- 330€/280£
- Online paywall
- 32GB.
- Remember the "no games" PS3 meme? Well it's back, except this time it's infinitely worse.
- 32GB

In a market where both Microsoft and Sony –which have sold millions of their more powerful consoles already– are releasing even better hardware.
Nintendo rushes a ridiculously overpriced, severely underpowered console that will 100% have less third party support than Wii U. The same mistake they did two times already. Third time's a charm I guess?

Are we missing something? Are they completely out of their minds? Is this actually a joke? I mean, anyone who knows anything about this industry knows this is a death sentence.

The only real hope is that they've somehow found a way to be ok with Wii U levels of sales, though that seems pretty unlikely if this is replacing their handhelds too.

It is extremely likely this will be Nintendo's last console.

So, let us see:

- 330€/280£
- Online paywall
- 32GB.
- 32GB

Pretty much this

The Switch will crash and burn, despite Zelda and Mario looking great

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally home and catching up. Big fat meh from me.

- Zelda looks like Zelda. Which is good. But no major technical leaps over the Wii U so whatever. It's clearly a Wii U game ported over to the Switch.
- Mario looks boring and shit. Some parts look great but I couldn't give a flying fuck about open world-ish landscapes (I strongly prefer Galaxy to 64) and the city looks abhorrent, Like flat out terrible clash of art style that shouldn't be in the game. Just awful and reminiscent of Sonic '06.
- Mario Kart is a port with new content. It's a good game. Great game. A port.
- Splatoon 2 is a big yes. Good job.
- Xenoblade 2 character design is fucking shit and I'm already turned off.
- Bunch of other shit, whatever.
- AUD $469 plus pay for online and ovepriced accessories
- Launch line up is shit

It's basically identical to the Wii U based on my needs. It's a nothing device. I don't care about the portability. There is nothing at all attractive about the hardware performance or advertised features. I don't care. It's a nexus only to Nintendo published/developed games that I keep playing because they're great, and have to buy hardware to access. And they didn't even sell me on most of what they showed.

Will see how desperate I am to play the best build of Zelda at launch because if not I'm tapping out until later and won't miss a thing.

What gets me is, game releases for the WiiU (and 1st party 3DS to an extent) dramatically slowed down, so they surely must be working on a considerably larger selection of games than what we witnessed.

Why weren't these shown?? They had so long to prep for this event.

They have to save something for E3, right? Since the console is coming out in March, E3 is right afterwards. It's gonna sell out before E3 based on the hardcore Nintendo people alone, so why would they announce everything today instead of trying to keep hype up going into the holiday shopping season?

KooopaKid

Banned
Yeah, that crossed my mind too, and it is so infuriating to me: they have such a good gimmick with the hybrid nature already, and then obfuscate it and make it too expensive with a Stupid, outdated motion gimmick. Safe to say Nintendo fucked up there imo.

Yeah this decision will cost them their "comeback". 1 2 Switch isn't worth it and isn't going to attract crowds. The portable aspect was enough but no, they had to add "HD sensors" that will be under-used. They already haven't shown any use for them.
The Wii U gamepad killed Wii U with its accessory messaging and increased the price needlessly. The joy-cons are going to kill Switch (Ah ah) for the same reasons.
What a waste.

I'm not too worried about the games yet. The switch launches in March so it's not like they have a lot of time to talk about games with E3 right around the corner. They will most likely have Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon out by then which is pretty good over the course of 3-4 months. The launch line up itself doesn't have a lot of mainstream appeal so 1 2 Switch better be a hit and Zelda is gonna have to hard carry this console for the month of March.

Price could definitely be cheaper for that mainstream but $50 won't make or break the console IMO. The price of the accessories though are too high. I understand each joy con is its own controller but that $80 for a set is a tough pill to swallow.

Not gonna comment on online features/price because we are severely lacking in enough.

Hands-on say the build quality is really good and doesn't feel cheap so that's a plus in my book.

Overall, this conference was like a 6/10 not bad nor good. Hopefully Nintendo discusses some more features over the coming days especially with all the hands on events and Treehouse streams.

Zedark

I hope we get some impressions about the comfort of the joy-con grip setup. I hope it works fine as a controller, as the alternatives would be being required to drop another 70 euros on a pro controller.

If they convince the average consumer to buy this at that price with 1-2 Switch and ARMS what they started the presentation with (clearly not intended for the hardcore) then i'll be impressed.

50 bucks for 1,2 Switch is not gonna fly with the masses.

I was super excited when I saw it, but still cannot believe it's not a pack-in. It has some really cool gimmicks and I love the concept of engaging with other players face to face instead of a screen, but that price is crazy.

the wii had strong consistent direct messaging with affordable pricing with pack in software that was highly desirable due to its motion gaming

-the switch in most people's minds, especially that of the european is overpriced, doesn't even have a pack in to try those "unique features" the switch provides
-has some confusing messaging (voice chat confusion for example), no detailed features of social connectivity (yet), ie is there trophy /achievement implementation?, is everything socially connected communicated through the app? (if so why?)
-online paywall with quite frankly shitty value proposition even if it was cheap

that and it just seems like an odd mish mosh of a wii u tablet with wii controllers stuck together with the added feature of portability with the downfalls of it

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What? Hyperbole much?

Not at all. How long do you think nintendo are going to put out consoles that don't sell before they give up? The Wii was hugely successful, but the Gamecube and Wii U were not.

Maybe they'll try and release another handheld, but there's no way they're going to continue their home console hardware business if this isn't a success, and I can't imagine how this will be much more successful than the Wii U.

Surfheart

I don't understand it. I love Nintendo for their games but why release another underpowered console with a gimmick that is ultimately unsupported, even by Nintendo themselves?

The inclusion of the gimmick means the hardware is underpowered, lacks decent storage. This drives away 3rd parties or at best they crap out some token, shallow shovel ware and once again we are at the mercy of Nintendo's prolonged development cycles.

Wouldn't it have been better to release an X86 based system with ~ps4 levels of performance and decent storage? That way the 3rd parties are on board and big 3rd party titles would come out day and date with the other platforms.

Parent's buying a console that plays the latest COD wouldn't then overlook Nintendo's platform because it would have the latest COD and the big selling point would be that it can also play Nintendo's games.

The Nintendo difference is their software, not some hardware gimmick that going by past experiences, is under utilised.

the wii had strong consistent direct messaging with affordable pricing with pack in software that was highly desirable due to its motion gaming

-the switch in most people's minds, especially that of the european is overpriced, doesn't even have a pack in to try those "unique features" the switch provides
-has some confusing messaging (voice chat confusion for example), no detailed features of social connectivity (yet), ie is there trophy /achievement implementation?, is everything socially connected communicated through the app? (if so why?)
-online paywall with quite frankly shitty value proposition even if it was cheap

that and it just seems like an odd mish mosh of a wii u tablet with wii controllers stuck together with the added feature of portability with the downfalls of it

Oh, you're 100% right. The Wii was actually brilliantly presented and marketed compared to the Switch presentation today. I just mean that the tone on here is the same as when they revealed the Wii name specifically. GAF went into total meltdown that day over the name. Whether the Switch succeeds or bombs is completely unrelated to that point.

Maengun1

There is no way in hell I'd ever not buy this (I still own 1 of every Nintendo console, I have played my WiiU almost daily since I bought it at launch week. I'd buy a switch JUST for zelda, or JUST for mario, or JUST for splatoon 2, etc) but I definitely feel the disappointment.

- I don't think $300 is outrageous.....if 1 2 Switch was packed in with every console. It looks fun to me, and they're marketing it as the cool tech demo, but they're really gonna make people drop an extra 50 bucks on that? I'm gonna wait for review on that now, and even if it's good I feel like I'm gonna have to grit my teeth at that price. I can't IMAGINE it having as much replay value as Nintendoland...which was a pack in.

- Controllers prices are crazy, yeah. If a pro controller / joycon packs were $60 I wouldn't bat an eye, but that extra little bit they had to charge on top just makes it go into a "whaaat" place

- Paid online. This is the one that really stings me. I own a PS4 and an Xbox One....and I have never used the paid online multiplayer. I've always refused to do it, somewhat out of principal, somewhat because I *mainly* play single player games. But I can't not have access to online mario kart, smash bros, splatoon. I'm kinda hating Nintendo right now for doing this, as it's been one of the reasons I've continued to sing their praises to everyone I talk to all through the WiiU era. That era is clearly over :single tear:

So yeah, I get the complaints. But again, I'm someone who if you showed me that Mario Odyssey trailer and said I could never play it unless I forked over $600......I'd probably do it. But this was a bit disappointing on the whole.

I think the "dooooooomed" posts are a bit over the top though. I have a feeling this thing is gonna do well, especially once you fold in the 3ds market

edit: It's also BIZARRE to me that they couldn't have Mario Kart/Smash Bros. *ports* ready on Day 1? Like....lolwat

sanstesy

I think there is still time to pull it the situation back round, i do think we are closer to the 3ds reveal than Wii u Here. Just for the fact that Nintendo can just keep releasing games for it and people will always be tempted to bite. Also the fact the product is desirable and easy to market.

But yeah, odd for a launch presentation to focus on everything but launch stuff :/

As for pricing, i can understand why it is upset some, but i think people have to be kind of realistic in what the tech is doing, it's form factor etc. Perhaps they put too much tech in the joy cons (but at the same time they didn't do this with the wiimotes and i think that hurt the wii in some way) and the price of other tablets and tech that is pretty comparable with other products.

For me it is the lack of direction surrounding the launch that is bewildering. After they showed platoon, Mario and X2 people reactions on here were starting to get really positive, but then they just brought on people with nothing to say. They stood on stage with EA which was all hot air, and suda who looked liked he just walked in on stage from a night out on the town. That moment there was where they should have hit the home run with a couple extra brand games. Or even a indie show reel with F-zero or something.

To be honest they should have revealed everything they have - even if the E3 games are just brief 1-2 seconds snippets . I don't think people would mind if they had nothing new to reveal if they knew they were getting a look at games like metroid etc.

I think focusing on the first year of the console if fine if you have actually enough to show. They clearly didn't, though, and as a result had to compensate with showing more games out in 2018 and beyond. Which they also didn't.

They absolutely had to bundle 1-2-Switch if the Joy-Cons bring up the price up to $299 so the software actually complements the hardware right away. That is kind of mandatory as the Wii showed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom