• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ydelnae

I just finished the conference without being spoilered beforehand.

An underpowered console being launch at 330€ in a market in which everyone who wants to play console games can buy a PS4 which is 130€ cheaper and everyone that wants portable gaming already has a phone.
On top of this, you have to buy the 80€ pro controller and a SD card, because the system only comes with 32GB. That's 440€ without a game.
1 2 Switch, a game that is made to highlight the new experience for the console, doesn't come packed in.
Online suscription required for a severely overpriced system for a company that has a record of bad online structures.
The launch line-up consists of literally two titles: Zelda and 1 2 Switch.
3rd parties being completely absent. Games being announced when they just started development.

They messed up and if they can't get back up in less than a year, that's it for them. I can't understand why they thought going with a 3DS 2.0 strategy would be good for them.

So I love the concept of the console. I love the HD rumble joy cons. I love the creativity that is available. I HATE how the announced this console to the world. That event was. Such a bore. I'm sure they will come out today and apologize. It was so Nintendo and predictable. It seems like it was thrown together last minute. Love the console have mine pre-ordered and paid for but that event fucking sucked.

Yeah, pretty much where I'm at. I have no doubt this is gonna be an incredible console with amazing exclusives. I'm personally super hyped. BUT. I just don't know if enough other avid gamers are willing to overlook this event's downsides, and that's Nintendo's fault.

shmoglish

I am still interested in the System and I am okay with the Price. But Overall this kinda sounds lame. So far the lineup is Zelda + games we already know from other Systems, low specs, weak 3rd Party Support and an online subscription that just sounds bad. May get it at the end of the year/when there are a few more exlusive games, but def. not at Launch.

It's basically identical to the Wii U based on my needs. It's a nothing device. I don't care about the portability. There is nothing at all attractive about the hardware performance or advertised features. I don't care. It's a nexus only to Nintendo published/developed games that I keep playing because they're great, and have to buy hardware to access. And they didn't even sell me on most of what they showed.
This is what's disappointing to me. Abandon a successful handheld to basically replicate the unsuccessful previous home console.

And their efforts aren't even being shown. Abandoning two separate platforms should be increasing output, not resulting in the only two decent releases this year being a Zelda game at launch (that was originally just a Wii U game delayed solely to sell Switch consoles) and a Mario game at the end of the year.

Plus, by the looks of it, the Wii U version of BotW will probably be the definitive version because of the Wii U gamepad.

Nestunt

"The Switch is not competing in a vacuum"

Just heard this quote from Ben Moore (Easy Allies) and I agree completely.

In recent years, the prevalent mantra surrounding Nintendo Consoles is that they don't want to compete with Sony or Microsoft. Don't they? They don't want money?
They cared for competing in the NES and SNES eras.

And then people give the example of the Wii and the "blue ocean" marketing strategy. Well, I think the Wii is a successful exception on how to build a culture and business model of a console, and exceptions are exceptions for a reason. The low attach rate shows to me that people consumed the machine like one of those musical summer hits that breaks records. And the WiiU sales support that, just by comparing it to the poorly managed launch of the Xbox One. The lasting feel for the 360 helped mitigate that disaster a lot better than the lasting feel of the Wii helped the WiiU.

All in all, I don't buy that logic that Nintendo does not want to compete. They would love to have the numbers and the mind-share that Sony has now.
It's ok, for people that are dedicated gamers and play in more than one machine. But you should not build your culture and business model to target that "secondary" spot.
A lot of people don't either have the money or the time to play videogames in several machines.

I don't believe that Nintendo wants to be niche. They simply aren't doing a good job in convincing a lot of people that Nintendo products should be their primary source of entertainment. You should always aim for that. And they, still, have the brand to aim for that.

The Switch is an interesting concept. And, as I said before in this forum, I think this product is so different and compelling that word of mouth, social interaction, and youth zeitgeist can be more important predictors of its success than the typical cornerstones of this business: price, power and 3rd party support.

Yet, it wouldn't hurt for them to try a "Playstation 2" instead of a "Wii", once in a while: a strong price/performance ratio, the minimum non-gaming functionality, 3rd party support of the best selling AAA franchises and a 1st party catalogue that has aesthetic variety.

I obsessed over this thing for like a year and they almost unsold me on it, I don't think that many people are going to buy it after the first month or two.

Plus, by the looks of it, the Wii U version of BotW will probably be the definitive version because of the Wii U gamepad.

Nah, the gamepad apparently doesn't do anything for this game last time I heard, no inventory management or a map or anything.

LordKano

My take, after a few hours :

- I really liked the presentation overall, it was well paced, a decent amount of games announced and showed.
- The games showed were all great (well, except one : 1,2 Switch, I don't get it), especially Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2.
- I'm happy with the japanese third party support at this point (Dragon Quest, Disgaea, SMT, No More Heroes...), hope it will stay that way.
- I don't even have issues with the launch : I would have bought Zelda only no matter what, now I know that I also have Disgaea 5 if I'm bored of Zelda.

It's, on that side, a dream device for me. But there had to be major cons :

- I won't pay 60$ a year to play online, even if it's drastically improved.
- This thing is overpriced in Europe. 330€ ? This is too much. It's almost 400€ to have the console + Zelda. I don't care about the price of the joycons, or the pro controller (I'll buy all of that used for cheap, like the wiimotes), but the console is priced way too much. 299€ was my limit.

So, I'll stay here, hoping for Nintendo to drop the price of the console to at least 299€. It really sucks as I like a lot the software they showed, and I am really excited for the future, but I can't afford the console at that price.

I want Sony to fire back at Nintendo's abandonment of the 3DS with a Vita 2 (or call it PSP 2) with a solid launch lineup and affordable storage.

TLZ

Banned
I think the Wii U's problem was value not price. People just didn't see the value in that price. The Xbox One was more expensive and sold more. Same with the PS4. If the value is there, people will buy. I don't think it gets any simpler than that.

I don't see the value in that price for the Switch.

And before you or anyone come back with "but it's hybrid", the portable part carries no weight for me.

This includes VAT/ sales tax right? US prices dont, so whats the big deal?

Nothing mate. It's perfect.

Donnie

I just finished the conference without being spoilered beforehand.

An underpowered console being launch at 330€ in a market in which everyone who wants to play console games can buy a PS4 which is 130€ cheaper and everyone that wants portable gaming already has a phone.
On top of this, you have to buy the 80€ pro controller and a SD card, because the system only comes with 32GB. That's 440€ without a game.
1 2 Switch, a game that is made to highlight the new experience for the console, doesn't come packed in.
Online suscription required for a severely overpriced system for a company that has a record of bad online structures.
The launch line-up consists of literally two titles: Zelda and 1 2 Switch.
3rd parties being completely absent. Games being announced when they just started development.

They messed up and if they can't get back up in less than a year, that's it for them. I can't understand why they thought going with a 3DS 2.0 strategy would be good for them.

Hah you've got to be joking.. Yeah I'll just go and buy a PS4, and when I want to continue playing my games on the go I'll unlock my phone and.. play a completely different and extremely shallow mobile phone game for the whole 5 minutes it'll take me to get bored to death by it. Yeah exactly the same experience.. :eek:

The more i read threads about Switch presentation, the more it looks like complete clusterfuck. Nintendo is really fucked up with messaging, at first i thought that their online services will be only available in USA, Canada and Mexico at launch, so Europe will be abandoned for few months (years?) after release. And i still don't understand Switch voice chat realization, is it only by phone or not? Also, price (both console and accessories), battery life and payed online are disaster.

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vWDRRVEZLSC5naWYifQ.-PTTHXoPUoxKcw-D38ShPhAlELk

It's not fucking justified, Nintendo increased the cost of their product substantially for stupid crap like this. They are really out of touch.

Jesus christ, what is wrong with this company..

sanstesy

The presentation itself was fine and fun. The messaging was straight garbage, though. More than half of the relevant information wasn't even included in the conference or just not explained well enough.

Hah you've got to be joking.. Yeah I'll just go and buy a PS4, and when I want to continue playing my games on the go I'll unlock my phone and.. play a completely different and extremely shallow mobile phone game for the whole 5 minutes it'll take me to get bored to death by it. Yeah exactly the same experience.. :eek:
Uh... What?

Dude... Justified

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vWDRRVEZLSC5naWYifQ.-PTTHXoPUoxKcw-D38ShPhAlELk

It's not fucking justified, Nintendo increased the cost of their product substantially for stupid crap like this. They are really out of touch.
I'm a huge fan of Wariorware... But what is this?

1,2,Switch may be the worse name in the history of video games. I wish we could see the other names that were focused tested they must be god awful.

I'm surprised at the negativity in here. I thought it all looked really fun.

It does.

Xeno 2
Zelda BotW
Splatoon 2
Octopath Traveler
Mario Odyssy
SMT

Are HYPE.

Problem is, they still should have shown a handful of more games (some nice new surprises), and honestly just had 1,2 Switch included in the box at 300 bucks.

Surfheart

I don't believe the Switch will come anywhere near capturing the 3DS market.

It's too big, too expensive and compared to popular tablets, it has a lower quality screen, poorer battery life, less apps, less games and the games themselves are more expensive.

The nice thing about the 3DS was it's size. You can fold it up so that the screens are protected, chuck it in your bag or even pockets. I can't see the Switch replicating that.

LordKano

The presentation itself was fine and fun. The messaging was straight garbage, though. More than half of the relevant information wasn't even included in the conference or just not explained well enough.

Yeah, I hope they'll explain more during the Treehouse.
I feel like the presentation was made with the October's trailer in mind. It shows the essential, what the "casual" crowd will keep in mind, while all the details we, gaffers, care about are absent.

swit

I want Sony to fire back at Nintendo's abandonment of the 3DS with a Vita 2 (or call it PSP 2) with a solid launch lineup and affordable storage.
Sony gone out of the race is for the better, imo. It would be ridicules to buy handheld system from them after what they did to Vita support and marketing (not even mentioning it on stage events after first year).

Tanwo

Just saw the presentation. I’ve got mixed feelings about it.

The price (in Europe, at least) is higher than I expected, and the paid online is some horrible news, in my opinion. I hope Nintendo knows what they are doing…
The launch lineup also looks extremely small. I hope they have some games still to announce.

The games were good, at least. Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey look awesome.

Ydelnae

But it's not a joke, it's reality, the numbers are there. Nowadays, mobile gaming is eating dedicated handheld gaming's cake and kids want to play games on their smartphones. People who don't value gaming the way GAF members do would rather just use their phone to play games than buy a 330€ system in 2017.

And let me not even talk about "playing your console games on the go" when a launch title already drains the battery enough for it to last barely 3 hours.

They basically priced themselves out of contention with a silly screen gimmick when people who want a home console, want a home console - if they'd just done that, their specs would have been better. And the games would be better for it. Instead, they put all these eggs into these silly baskets. Would casuals/mums care about a handheld console? its too expensive for kids. If this bomb big time, they should just go third party because they'll do great and sell a lot of games and make a lot of money.

We'll see in a year to two but I don't see this panning out well for them.

Just saw the presentation. I've got mixed feelings about it.

The price (in Europe, at least) is higher than I expected, and the paid online is some horrible news, in my opinion. I hope Nintendo knows what they are doing...
The launch lineup also looks extremely small. I hope they have some games still to announce.

The games were good, at least. Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario Odyssey look awesome.

but you know, all three grames probably would have been the same on wiiU?

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
It's so sad that I didn't go away after the presentation with the feeling that Nintendo learned a whole lot.
I fucking love region free but let's be honest they just went backwards after the DS so it's not that applaudable.

What I wanted them to learn. Coming right out of the gate with a solid online infrastructure and presenting it. It's goddamn 2017. Jesus...
Easing on their stupid backwards youtube content restrictions. They don't even make Telltale like games they shouldn't have anything to complain about.
etc...

I just wanted to feel like they get it and that they aren't going to be out of touch anymore.
But really now I'm worried as hell.

That said whatever happens Nintendo has the games. Zelda looks so fucking amazing.

Oregano

My impressions:

Price is a bit too high. I'm willing to pay but doubt the mass market will.
They have a shit load to prove before they charge for online
Mario, Zelda, Xenoblade look great. Arms, Splatoon and Mario Kart look good. 1 2 Switch I don't care about.
JRPGs galore
Western support a lot worse than expected
Missing some heavy hitters from Japan

It's mainly the price and online subscription though. Like WTF Nintendo!?

Burny

Different strokes but... The fraction of gamers with a desire to continue to play full fledged games on the go is just that: a fraction. Nintendos offerings competes for people's free time like every other game out there. If you don't travel for extended timespans regularily, but are stuck in a crowded bus/subeway/train for 20 minutes without a seat, before having to change lines, a small 5 minute time killer smartphone endless runner game may completely satisfy all your mobile gaming cravings.

You need ot be pretty dedicated to spend near 400€ (including a game) on a gaming system mostly because you want to play it on the go. Those people exist, and the local co-op on the go etc. is probably great for specific scenarios, but honestly, if you just want to play the occasional cinematic blockbuster game on your big screen at home, the Switch is a terrible proposition. It doesn't have the blockbuster games, except for the few Nintendo exclusives in the first place, and it's higher priced than systems that do have these games.

Sure, it offers things that XBone/PS4 don't. But at that price, you need to be pretty dedicated to get it for primarily those things, because there's also a hell of a lot of things the competitors offer that the Switch does not and will never. It's outside of impulse buy range. It's a niche system.

LordKano

They basically priced themselves out of contention with a silly screen gimmick when people who want a home console, want a home console - if they'd just done that, their specs would have been better. And the games would be better for it. Instead, they put all these eggs into these silly baskets. Would casuals/mums care about a handheld console? its too expensive for kids. If this bomb big time, they should just go third party because they'll do great and sell a lot of games and make a lot of money.

We'll see in a year to two but I don't see this panning out well for them.

but you know, all three grames probably would have been the same on wiiU?

If you're talking about visuals, nothing on Wii U looks like Mario Odyssey.
If you're talking about the core experience, the same could be told for almost every game this gen so far.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I don't understand though.

It's a hybrid device so specs are limited somewhat. If it was a PS4 Pro level device, it couldn't be portable and it'd be a fuckton more expensive.

What do you guys want? Seriously?

You want the highest of spec with the lowest of price. In an ideal world, yeah that'd be great, but get a grip on realism

I wanted exactly this, a hybrid. Which I understand it's much weaker because it needs to run in portable mode also. And I'm fine with this. What I don't understand is the damn price. 330 just for the console + 70 euro for Zelda. That's 400 euro to be able to even use the Switch. That's way above what Switch is providing from a tech level. The SoC is good for mobile but rather below average for everything else. The screen is below average. The batery is right on the average maybe a bit higher. I know that they packed a lot of things in the joycons, but honestly maybe they shouldn't have? Who cares about a IR camera that's going be used for 1 2 Switch and maybe another game in 2020?

400 euro is way too much for the ensemble.

Again, I don't mind the tech, I like the Switch, it's sleak, it has a lot of great ideas, but it's just not worthy of 330 euro / 400 with a game.

On top of that add pay for online for using my own damn phone.

Nere

I was interested and was considering buying it but this conference killed any hype I had. So it will be like 330€ in Europe, expensive controllers, limited hard drive space, paid online, expensive games, underpowered console. All they had to do was to follow Wii and Ds which both launched at really affordable prices and managed to succeed even though they were underpowered compared to the competition, instead we got this which probably only die hard Nintendo fans will pay for. I hope it is a success for them because Nintendo still holds a special place in my heart but unfortunately I don't see it, they didn't learnt anything from the past and just proceed to make the same mistakes again. Goodluck Nintendo you will need it.

me0wish

While there are legitimate concerns like controllers pricing, I am convinced that the majority of people have no interest in the device and just want to complain or just had unreasonable expectations.

BTW just like Nintendo Land, 1 2 Switch looks amazing, it might not be the system seller wii sports was, but I'm sure I'll have a blast playing it with friends.

LordKano

You're all killing the joycons but I'm honestly happy they have motion controls and advanced stuff. That means my No More Heroes 3 will play as good as the first two...(and maybe Skyward Sword HD will exist in a true way !)

jdstorm

Banned

Actually phone gaming is pretty good nowdays. With games lots of steam ports and older console ports.

On top of that an adapter to connect your phone to a tv is cheap and you can connect your existing controllers via an app.

So it will cost you less then 50 dollars and minimal effort to turn your phone into a Switch. While games are much cheaper

Well i was really looking over to the switch to maybe introduce the GF to gaming. Thanks but no thanks i guess.

More then €400 and then i'd have 1 game? Which wouldn't be idealy a co-op game if it where Zelda. Oh man...

Veal

One thing I appreciated about the game trailers is the apparent lack of CG to suggest what the games will look like. Very apparently in game footage. No b.s. I'm not very pleased with peripheral pricing, but the switch itself is okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom