• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude... Justified

eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vaS5pbWd1ci5jb20vWDRRVEZLSC5naWYifQ.-PTTHXoPUoxKcw-D38ShPhAlELk

It's not fucking justified, Nintendo increased the cost of their product substantially for stupid crap like this. They are really out of touch.

Oh god, why?!?!

And not even a single mention of Pokemon during the entire presentation?

What were they thinking?!?!

correojon

I´m a bit shocked. As a european I don´t know what launch lineup this will have, there seems to be a lot of confussion about the price, features like the online not finalised until months after the launch...I also expected a lot of games and specially portable 3DS like games to showcase the power of the new unified development pipeline. And most of all, even taken the most benevolent pricing, it´s a very expensive system:

300€ Switch (no games)
80€ Additional Joycon
50€ SD card
60€ 1 game
----------------------------------
490€

Almost 500€. IMO this and showing lots of games ready for launch (and for the coming months) were the 2 things Nintendo had to nail and they seem to have failed both.

Also, do we anything about Retro´s game?

Fbh

Just had time to catch up to this.
Looks decent but I I will wait. The price is about what I expected so no big surprise there. Still find it expensive and I think the fact you can get a Ps4 (more powerful, more and cheaper games, more third party support , cheaper accessories , etc) for like $250 is going to hurt the sales potential of the switch.

Still, the games catalog isn't that impressive so far so I will wait to see how it evolves over the year. To me, an HD real shin Megami tensei was the biggest announcement, but it's said to be in early development so I don't see it releasing in less than 2 years (3 if you wait for it to release in English).

The whole online aspect is also sounding really unconvincing. And because it's paid I'll probably just skip it. I already pay for PS+ and don't feel like paying for 2 gaming subscriptions. Also the NES/SNES one month rental thing is laughable and the wording in their description of chat ("in compatible games") makes it sounds like there isn't even a party chat system.

All in all it looks...Like a Nintendo systems. Something to get down the line when it's cheaper/on sale and already has several good exclusives.
Nothing about the presentation made me want to get one at launch.

I preordered despite that presentation.

My hopes are that given the launch lineup Nintendo will attempt to soften the blow with some VC releases, as N64 and GC on the go would be a start. But yeah, not going to happen.

You're all killing the joycons but I'm honestly happy they have motion controls and advanced stuff. That means my No More Heroes 3 will play as good as the first two...(and maybe Skyward Sword HD will exist in a true way !)

Yea I'm super pumped for all the HD rumble stuff. I hate how complacent and standardized controllers have become outside of Nintendo.

JonnyKong

I think the one positive I can take away from this is how many first party games we'll be getting within the first year, and what games they are! A new Zelda, Splatoon and Mario? Yes please.

I seem to remember the Wii U having New super Mario Bros at launch, and then Pikmin 3 a year later which is terrible.

But the cost man, it's too high, what are Nintendo thinking? Nobody is going to want to spend that much except Nintendo fans.

Coffinhal

Oh god, why?!?!

They save it for E3, but bad decision because it has already leaked and they fucked up on price and line up...

What? Do they have more to announce?

No they are going to show you another 10 hours of Zelda spoilers and 10 hours of their concept/demo game with the sandwiches and the cowboys

Stay tuned

"We don't want to bastardise the sales of our current behemoth"

Yeah, I get that

It's like Nintendo is trying to pretend that the Switch won't replace the 3DS, but while doing that it's actuall alienating a potential consumer base that always wanted a real Pokemon game on a home console

Bendo

Oh god, why?!?!

That they've already got Mario and Zelda lined up and need to save something for E3. People were speculating yesterday that they would only announce launch window titles and save holiday 2017 and 2018 for E3, and while that's not exactly what happened I certainly think that's a large part of it.

EpicBox

There are only 2 things I have to say about the Switch.

1. The hardware power matters. Not because of graphics, but because we actually want some cocking games to be available on this thing. Not many big multiplatform games appear to be coming.

2. If Nintendo are serious about the Share button, they need to sort out their stance on user creation. Otherwise they might as well call it the "Get a copyright strike" button.

jdstorm

Banned
In some ways the switch almost feels underpriced and Half Baked.

I wonder if people would be willing to pay 500USD for a Switch VR. Included would be

1. Slightly more powerful console with a 4k screen. - games only render at 1080p possibly upscale
2. Both Joycons - they are really cool tech as an individual item.
3. A plastic Gear VR style headset with a camera in it so you dont crash into people via local VR

DavidDesu

I just don't get Nintendo's business strategy. The Switch seems like it's being made to preach to the choir. We know the saturation of loyal Nintendo fans when you look at about 10 million Wii U's sold and 8 million copies of Mario Kart sold on the system. These are the people who will buy a Nintendo console for Nintendo games, the guaranteed market.

I honestly don't see Switch doing much better than the Wii U as it currently stands.

Sure, they have the handheld element, but the battery life for most of the games is looking to be around 3 hours which isn't ideal. The console is too big and fragile to appeal to the kids market that the DS/3DS so successfully appeals to, and Nintendo have shown little in the way of proper handheld games, they seemed to focus on console style games from what I could see. I was expecting a lot of focus on indie tablet style games, the kind of stuff absolutely EVERYONE'S kids are playing on iPads and iPhones, not a sign of anything like that.

They've got a console with niche appeal and a focus on a gimmick you just know only 3 games will ever actually use, which has helped bump up the price to more than the vastly more powerful competition. In doing so and with an underpowered console third party support looks like it will be just as anaemic as the Wii, WiiU etc.

So WHO are they selling this to, those 10 million people? Do they not want to grow their business? Nintendo consoles are the only place you can get Nintendo games, but they're trying their damnedest to push people away who are not fully in on Nintendo. Rather than appealing to a wider market (and gaming is a HUGE market) they seem happy to cater to their hardcore base, practically holding them hostage by forcing them to buy their new hardware periodically. They get very little else for their purchase, few 3rd parties, poor online services now even worse that it's being charged for. Just imagine a console you could get all your third parties AND get Nintendo's best games, thing would easily be performing at least as well as an Xbox One. As it is it's going to be another flop. How much longer can a company be so pig headed and arrogant while there's money sitting on the table if only they gave customers what they wanted.

In some ways the switch almost feels underpriced and Half Baked.

I wonder if people would be willing to pay 500USD for a Switch VR. Included would be

1. Slightly more powerful console with a 4k screen. - games only render at 1080p possibly upscale
2. Both Joycons - they are really cool tech as an individual item.
3. A plastic Gear VR style headset with a camera in it so you dont crash into people via local VR
Or they could release a normal console and keep their handheld lineup.

Kaelan

They save it for E3, but bad decision because it has already leaked and they fucked up on price and line up...

No they are going to show you another 10 hours of Zelda spoilers and 10 hours of their concept/demo game with the sandwiches and the cowboys

Stay tuned

Will they even have an E3 conference? Or a direct? Or anything at all? I'm hoping they are at E3 but man I dunno...

It just feels like a huge compromise. Like a really good handheld masquerading as a really poor console. Throwing a hundred features at the wall to see what sticks.

Like IDK, it kinda feels like their last ditch effort. Just put SOMETHING out there and hope there's enough Nintendo faithful to ride it out. Cuz I'm really not sure who else is buying this thing at $300. They damn sure aint coming back for these reheated Wii Sports tech demos.

While there are legitimate concerns like controllers pricing, I am convinced that the majority of people have no interest in the device and just want to complain or just had unreasonable expectations.

BTW just like Nintendo Land, 1 2 Switch looks amazing, it might not be the system seller wii sports was, but I'm sure I'll have a blast playing it with friends.

Sure feels like half the people complaining didn't want to like it and had no intention of buying it anyway. Sure that wasn't a perfect presentation, but it was still good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You're all killing the joycons but I'm honestly happy they have motion controls and advanced stuff. That means my No More Heroes 3 will play as good as the first two...(and maybe Skyward Sword HD will exist in a true way !)

Oh, I like the idea behind the rumble HD. I liked it since it was first rumoured. But I doubt it will be properly supported by games. Even the game that they shown most in the event, the one with the ice cubes in the glass it doesn't seem to be there at launch or it's not ready for showing a proper gameplay trailer now. So I wonder if it is worthy of the price paid in addition. The IR camera is even less useful in most games.

Edit: and how they can have half-assed features at launch AGAIN? I can't wait to hear the impressions about the OS, hopefully it's not Wii U's OS reloaded.

Gonna be weird when their biggest launch title doesn't even use them for motion controls. (BotW)

Sure feels like half the people complaining didn't want to like it and had no intention of buying it anyway. Sure that wasn't a perfect presentation, but it was still good.
I had every intention of buying it before this. This presentation unsold me on it.

Believe whatever you want to about the opinions of others though.

I preordered despite that presentation.

My hopes are that given the launch lineup Nintendo will attempt to soften the blow with some VC releases, as N64 and GC on the go would be a start. But yeah, not going to happen.

if there is anything i have learned from the WiiU VC is that isn't happening

nintendo are gonna start over from scratch and drip feed the heel out of it

don't expect 64 support to show up till atleast it's a year old and GC? yeah don't expect for ages either

Crayolan

Is there any chance we will see any new game announcements at the Treehouse livestream?

Considering they saved some announcements for Treehouse rather than their direct last E3, I'm gonna say yes, though I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

Edit: That might have been 2 E3's ago, don't remember exactly. Point is they've done it before.

Coffinhal

Will they even have an E3 conference? Or a direct? Or anything at all? I'm hoping they are at E3 but man I dunno...

They need to show their 1st party and 3rd party games some time, E3 is perfect for that and works great with Treehouse

But I stil don't understand why, dumping the Wii U so long ago, they were only able to make two remasters (Mario Kart and Splatoon, if it's not just a remaster then ok), the 3D Mario (last one will be 4 years old), the concept demo and the fighting game.

What are they doing ?

sphinx

the piano man
I have the strong suspicion that nintendo is going to rape day-1 adopters with these prices and then proceed to do more atractive bundles as the year goes on, with a Switch 299 + game, (most likely Switch 1 2 and arms) during holidays.

this time it seems they want every single customer, including those paying the most premium possible.

they'll go down from there as needed.

it sucks hard to be a nintendo day-1 customer though.

Jobbs

Banned
I'm feeling a disconnect between the reactions of people who are in the media and youtubers and stuff and people I actually know/talk to.

To me and everyone I know, the presentation was really weak with the only good thing about it being Zelda, which we already knew looked good. Mario is a disaster. It's shockingly stupid.

..Meanwhile, every reaction video I've watched so far is overwhelmingly positive.

What's the be positive about besides Zelda? The lineup is flimsy as hell, Mario looks terrible, online is pay (and insultingly offers you rentals of NES and SNES roms as incentive) and the console costs more than expected.

Qurupeke

I'm kind of mixed on Switch, but honestly, I didn't intend to buy it Day 1 anyway. The presentation just didn't help in making me more excited and it just reinforced my decision to wait. A lot of stuff about the console really turns me off. Low internal storage, awful battery, paid online and, while it's not really a surprise, it's pretty underpowered. The worst aspect of it is its price though, I'm honestly shocked that it's so expensive in Europe. I expected around 300 € maximum as an entry prize with a game included, maybe a cheaper package for 230-250 € and no game. But it seems Switch+Zelda is around 400 €. Maybe I wouldn't care that much if this was a proper console at PS4K or Scorpio's level, but from what I understand, this is essentially Nintendo's next handheld too and where I'll play Pokemon games. Considering how cheap it always was to get a new system and play Pokemon, this doesn't seem to be the case here, though by the time the rumored Stars game is out, I guess there's going to be a price cut and/or decent bundles.

About the games, mixed again. The most interesting game was Square Enix's project from Bravely Default's team. It's exactly the kind of Third Party games I want for Nintendo systems, very creative, with a retro feeling but still very impressive and unique. Then there's of course Zelda, though it was nothing new, the new trailer was very exciting. The game's art direction is pretty good, but it doesn't look as good as I hoped.

Super Mario Odyssey was a neat surprise. After Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, this was the direction I expected the franchise to take, so it's essentially a dream come true. Despite that, it seemed a lot less impressive than SMG's debut. Xenoblade's sequel was also a surprise, and it looked interesting, but as I said in its thread, I hoped for a Xenoblade X sequel, that would blow me away with its environment and graphics.

The rest of the games were either alright or completely uninteresting. SMT, though it's too early to tell, seemed promising, though the teaser was a bit rough looking. ARMS seemed fun, but it's not for me. 1,2 Switch was dumb. Splatoon 2 is fine for the series' fan, but I'm not one of them. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was great, but I don't feel like paying for this again. The Fire Emblem game might be cool, but I'm not really into musou games.

I think that sums it up for me. There's enough things to keep an eye on Switch, but not enough to make me buy it yet. Also, I feel that a lot of people hyped it a bit too much, I'm not sure what's the general consensus is, but there are quite a few disappointed posts I came across. Really, the hype in this industry is very toxic. I hope that Switch will manage to have a better future than Wii U, but I'm expecting it to do at least a bit better than GameCube.

Jobbs

Banned
at most people say its weird, with the majority being positive reactions welcoming the propositions.

"Mario is a disaster" is your personal hyperbole so yeah, it's you for the most part

For me, seeing Mario outside of a whimsical setting and operating alongside regular humans in a new york setting is almost vom-inducing. Something like this can only happen if the designers are up their own ass to an almost unbelievable degree.

Even if we table my deep disgust for the Mario game, the other bad points are a bit less subjective. The lineup is almost fucking nothing, and this is after they ignored Wii U for like two years. What have they been doing?

I'm feeling a disconnect between the reactions of people who are in the media and youtubers and stuff and people I actually know/talk to.

To me and everyone I know, the presentation was really weak with the only good thing about it being Zelda, which we already knew looked good. Mario is a disaster. It's shockingly stupid.

..Meanwhile, every reaction video I've watched so far is overwhelmingly positive.

What's the be positive about besides Zelda? The lineup is flimsy as hell, Mario looks terrible, online is pay (and insultingly offers you rentals of NES and SNES roms as incentive) and the console costs more than expected.

You're watching the wrong kind of reactions... lol

The EZA crew were not positive about the presentation

USgamer and Eurogamer are really disappointed

For me, seeing Mario outside of a whimsical setting and operating alongside regular humans in a new york setting is almost vom-inducing. Something like this can only happen if the designers are up their own ass to an almost unbelievable degree.

Even if we table my deep disgust for the Mario game, the other bad points are a bit less subjective. The lineup is almost fucking nothing, and this is after they ignored Wii U for like two years. What have they been doing?

Its gonna have a level where you're an actual plumber in new york...I guarantee it!

SeanR1221

This was Nintendo's chance to blow the doors off and they blew it. They're hilariously out of touch.

- the price
- the storage size
- accessory pricing
- dismal launch
- did not elaborate on the online infrastructure or UI (which to their credit it could happen on the tree house today
- no splash logos of ports or other future titles (smash? Mario maker?)
- what's going on with the virtual console?

It all looked corny. What is wrong with you Nintendo?

As of right now, I'll wait for Christmas and see what things are like. Zelda looks great but not 300.00 great.

Crossing my fingers that horizon will be a suitable replacement in the meantime.

dyergram

Price is too high for me to bite at the moment just bought a car and this xmas was particularly expensive for games and stuff. I'm worried about this system though with that line up and price.

dextran

At least I will have my memories.
This doesn't feel like a proper launch. The lineup is too small and niche.
I miss the days of Waverace, Pilotwings, F-Zero.
No Mario at launch ?!? -

Yes Zelda looks amazing, and that will help move units - but focusing on motion controls when the world has moved on from that is not a recipe of innovation.

Is any of this enough for kids to stop playing and iPads and clamor their parents for a switch. I'm afraid not.

The pricing is too high too to tempt PS4 / Xbox owners to double and triple dip.

I'm on the pessimistic camp. Love nintendo, but I'll look around for a classic instead of picking one of these up.

stoff

Let's see how my predictions turned out:

- The presentation will feel more like a subdued, calm Shareholder Meeting rather than a Live Television Show. No Live Music Act.
( ) Nope. Was definitely more of a Show than I expected.
- Kimishima will talk from behind a speaker's lectern and not wander around the stage.
( ) Nope.
- Gameplay Trailers for at least 5 Nintendo-published games. No live Gameplay Demo play whatsoever. That is what the Treehouse stream is for.
(X) We got Splatoon2, Mario Odyssey, 1-2-Switch, ARMS, Zelda. (Zelda was more like a cinematic trailer though. Gonna let that slide I guess.)
- Biggest focus will be on Mario. Zelda got enough Exposure at E3.
( ) Uhhh... Mario got more time, sure. But Zelda stole the show.
- Nintendo will reveal a Title with clear focus on two-player local multiplayer while on the go.
(X) 1-2-Switch fills this role. Would've hoped for something different without motion controls though.
- No DeNA Rep is going to speak on-stage. Instead a Nintendo Rep is going to touch upon MyNintendo Account functions.
(X) They really did not talk a lot about this, but the paid online announcement came from Nintendo. DeNA was nowhere to be seen.
- No talk about specs other than Battery Life and possibly charging time.
(X) Only battery was mentioned.
- Announcement of a Pointer Function of the Right JoyCon, and the ability to simulate Touch Input while the Console is docked.
( ) Nope. No Pointing functionality was announced and neither was touch. Hand recognition seems weird as hell.
- Announcement of a Screenshot-Sharing function. But no capability of sharing videos.
( ) IIRC Video was mentioned. No details though.
- The SKU will be announced include the Main Unit, Dock, JoyConL+R and JoyCon Grip.
( ) Also includes the (probably useless) rail thingies, and an HDMI Cable. (good)
- The SKU will be priced at 25.000 Yen. (250$ and 300€)
( ) Whelp.
- There'll be a Video of talking developer heads praising the system and how exited they are to work on it.
(X) Todd saved my ass on this one.
- No EA presence at all. Not even in the talking heads Video.
( ) Unprecedented, huh?
- Skyrim will be officially announced. It will not be clarified, whether it is the SE or not.
(X) Nintendo will get the 6 year old version, you'll see.
- No Announcement of a Monster Hunter XX port to the Switch.
(X) No announcement at all from Capcom! What's going on here?
- Just Dance 2017 will be shown for more than 15 seconds.
( ) Less than that. Super surprised Ubi was nowhere to be seen either.
- NBA 2K will NOT be shown for more than 15 seconds.
(X) IIRC only the logo was thrown in at the very end.
- Sonic will only appear as part of the Smash Bros. port.
( ) Nope. No news on Smash at all.
- Pokémon Sun/Moon third version or Sequels will be announced for the Switch.
( ) Nope. Probably too early for that.
- There will be an Indie Games Montage.
( ) Nope. There was just one big montage mixing all sorts of games.
- No mention of Virtual Console. No Gamecube BC announcement. No Retro-Joycons. No MyNintendo Account Rollovers.
(X) Fucking called it!! We'll be buying 60€ NES Collection Cartridges, you'll see. VC is dead.

All in all, I'm super let-down.
Charging for online is BY FAR the biggest issue for me. I'm not going to sub to your (undoubtedtly shitty) online infrastructure Nintendo! Seperating everything out to an App sounds horrible already and sets off alarm bells all around.
That also means that all online-focussed games like Splatoon, Smash, MarioKart MarioMaker or even FIFA are totally worthless from the get-go and in no way justify their purchase.

That being said. I preordered the console. Zelda looks amazing and I want it day one, no matter the price.
They hold me ransom with it, even if I wished that wasn't the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom