• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
Re. Mario I was legit thinking about Sonic 06 the whole time... The only difference being that while both games look fucking weird and seem to be the result of designers being nauseatingly up their own asses, Sonic took it to such extremes that it was sort of amazing.

B7gi75c.gif

jonno394

I've thought about this while running my morning errands (hair cut, shopping etc) and it just gets worse and worse the more I think about it.

This showing was pure anti-hype imo, even though Mario and Zelda both look amazing.

Peltz

Somehow, Nintendo convinced me to go from Day 1 to "wait and see" last night. It's $50 too expensive, the graphics looked exactly like the Wii U (which I already own), the battery life is low, it doesn't come with a d-pad, there are no other switchable joy con configurations (I mean wow, what a missed opportunity there), there's only 2 (?) confirmed launch games so far and one of them is available on Wii U, and the joy cons look so uncomfortable to hold that they needed to include grips.

It's even more complicated and less intuitive conceptually than the Wii U honestly. Yes, Zelda and Mario are hype as fuck, but I wanted to see more than 2 games of that caliber at this conference.

KooopaKid

Banned
I´m a bit shocked. As a european I don´t know what launch lineup this will have, there seems to be a lot of confussion about the price, features like the online not finalised until months after the launch...I also expected a lot of games and specially portable 3DS like games to showcase the power of the new unified development pipeline. And most of all, even taken the most benevolent pricing, it´s a very expensive system:

300€ Switch (no games)
80€ Additional Joycon
50€ SD card
60€ 1 game
----------------------------------
490€

Almost 500€. IMO this and showing lots of games ready for launch (and for the coming months) were the 2 things Nintendo had to nail and they seem to have failed both.

Also, do we anything about Retro´s game?

Totally agree correojon, and we are both huge Nintendo fans. If they didn't manage to convince us, the casual and kids market won't. What were they thinking? Why didn't they learn anything about pricing? Nintendo this was your last chance :(

Komo

Banned
Hope this doesn't become another Wii U scenario, where I end up really wanting to play Mario Kart 8, but being unable to, as I can't justify spending that much on an entire system for just one game.

Because so far it is.

At least there is actually hope for this system, unlike the Wii U. lol

Laieon

I'm feeling a disconnect between the reactions of people who are in the media and youtubers and stuff and people I actually know/talk to.

To me and everyone I know, the presentation was really weak with the only good thing about it being Zelda, which we already knew looked good. Mario is a disaster. It's shockingly stupid.

..Meanwhile, every reaction video I've watched so far is overwhelmingly positive.

What's the be positive about besides Zelda? The lineup is flimsy as hell, Mario looks terrible, online is pay (and insultingly offers you rentals of NES and SNES roms as incentive) and the console costs more than expected.

My friends are mostly PC gamers. Most of them haven't owned a Nintendo console (including the handhelds) since the Gamecube and GBA (if not further back).

Most of us were almost instantly willing to drop the $300 to get it on day 1 (or close to it), we think it looks and sounds fantastic.

To be fair though, we're expats, so anything that is relatively small and easy to bring on the train/planes/our travels is right up our alley. We also live in a country where consoles might as well be nonexistant (Korea), so region free is very welcome.

We aren't thrilled for the prices, but it still beats the $540 we would end up paying for a Wii U. People are making it sound like $299 is high, I haven't been back to the US since '14 and it's been awhile since I looked at console prices, but I think it seems pretty reasonable.

I also think this looks to be the most appealing Mario game for me personally in a very, very long time.

Finally convinced myself to give it a miss and buy it later down the line when there's more games worth playing. Enough games already coming out on other platforms that will be good enough for me. Just hope Nintendo dorang have stock issues later down the year.

Cepheus

Just watched the 1 2 Switch footage on YouTube...

It is one of the most awful stupid games I have seen in my entire life.

When the cowboys appeared on stream I thought for a moment that it might have been a RDR2 ad/teaser. That thought left my mind pretty quickly.

Audioboxer

So, let us see:

- 330€/280£
- Online paywall
- 70€ regular controller.
- 32GB.
- 720p, 1080p with slightly better Wii U / PS3 / 360 graphics.
- Remember the "no games" PS3 meme? Well it's back, except this time it's infinitely worse.
- Biggest game comes out for the Wii U too.
- 32GB

In a market where both Microsoft and Sony –which have sold millions of their more powerful consoles already– are releasing even better hardware.
Nintendo rushes a ridiculously overpriced, severely underpowered console that will 100% have less third party support than Wii U. The same mistake they did two times already. Third time's a charm I guess?

Are we missing something? Are they completely out of their minds? Is this actually a joke? I mean, anyone who knows anything about this industry knows this is a death sentence.

It's not necessarily a good thing that Nintendo will go third party after they bankrupt because of this complete disaster, but I'm glad the console itself will tank hard for trying to jump on the scammy online paywall.

They are absolutely done for.

Just starting to read about this. Really? Uhhhh. Sounds horrendous. Never thought Nintendo would pay wall their MP.

rockx4

When the cowboys appeared on stream I thought for a moment that it might have been a RDR2 ad/teaser. That thought left my mind pretty quickly.

Yea, at first I thought "Oh this could be cool", and like 20 secs later when they show you what it is... I'm in completely shock.

"WTF is this..."

Peltz

Totally agree correojon, and we are both huge Nintendo fans. If they didn't manage to convince us, the casual and kids market won't. What were they thinking? Why didn't they learn anything about pricing? Nintendo this was your last chance :(

I'm in this boat too. I'm a big big Nintendo fan that has owned all their hardware. I enjoyed the Wii U even though many others didn't see the appeal.

With this presentation though, I'm grasping at a reason to plop down $300 for the device and am at a loss.

I have the strong suspicion that nintendo is going to rape day-1 adopters with these prices and then proceed to do more atractive bundles as the year goes on, with a Switch 299 + game, (most likely Switch 1 2 and arms) during holidays.

this time it seems they want every single customer, including those paying the most premium possible.

they'll go down from there as needed.

it sucks hard to be a nintendo day-1 customer though.
They should have just delayed until this holiday.

KooopaKid

Banned
Sure feels like half the people complaining didn't want to like it and had no intention of buying it anyway. Sure that wasn't a perfect presentation, but it was still good.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, I need Zelda but this price, line-up, uncertain future makes me want to wait and play Zelda on Wii U instead.
They needed to target kids and parents but at that price they utterly failed.

1 2 Switch it's actually a VR showcase game without VR. Whatever is rendered on the screen is pointless. Without VR you have to play it with your eyes closed for maximum immersion.

Hold a tiny piece of plastic in one hand and pretend to use it to squeeze milk from a cows udder faster than your friend until your $300 handheld console somewhere off to the side makes a noise to let you know that someone has won.

Ladies and gentlemen the Nintendo Switch.

What. the. fuck. is. going. on. The more this sinks in the more bewildering it gets.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I wonder if they'll reconsider paid online if this thing flops hard enough.

Even games from 3rd party like they don't have confident in the console. Square is doing ports and that indie game. Bethesda with Skyrim. EA with FIFA with no release date. SEGA is brining Sonic.. again I swear I hate to be negative but Zelda is the most interesting thing about this product but it'll also be availble on Wii U.

I went from 1000% ready to pre-order to dropping this off my radar completely. Misfires all over the place on what I thought was a genuinely awful reveal event and horrible first impression. Highlight was the Zelda trailer.

Unless you're a huge hardcore nintendo fan I really don't see a reason to buy this for the next 8 months/year. Better off waiting. Or maybe just for the first revision.

Somehow, Nintendo convinced me to go from Day 1 to "wait and see" last night. It's $50 too expensive, the graphics looked exactly like the Wii U (which I already own), the battery life is low, it doesn't come with a d-pad, there are no other switchable joy con configurations (I mean wow, what a missed opportunity there), there's only 2 (?) confirmed launch games so far and one of them is available on Wii U, and the joy cons look so uncomfortable to hold that they needed to include grips.

It's even more complicated and less intuitive conceptually than the Wii U honestly. Yes, Zelda and Mario are hype as fuck, but I wanted to see more than 2 games of that caliber at this conference.

Pretty much my thoughts, i woke up early ready to pre-order...and now i think i'm going to wait until later when mario comes out(even that looked not so good....that city looked awful)
I could understand nintendos approach if zelda was exclusively for switch but it's not and the switch version only runs at 900p so it's not exactly a massive improvement.

Picking up a copy of wii u zelda instead and will wait and see if that mario game improves.(please scrap that city area).

Only think that convinced me to pre order was that at the end of the day this is likely the 3DS replacement as well.

While I am not trilled at paying around $400 for the console and a couple games... I would have also bought the 3DS standalone successor, so I still end up ahead of where I could have been.

Coffinhal

By the way what about media features on the console ?

Personnaly I don't care since I have a hybrid laptop/tablet but the Switch could be a good tablet on the go especially if the screen is good enough

sphinx

the piano man
They should have just delayed until this holiday.

but why would they do that?

I mean they can release an unfinished product, demand above 299 dls/euro for it and the nintendo faithful will buy no matter what.

that gives them a couple of millions of juicy profits, they can try to reach for the more reluctant customers later in the year, that's exactly what they are going to (have to) do.

Peltz

Sorry to self quote, but I really want to emphasize this. The hardware didn't show well last night, but they could have had a really great conference if they just showed more cool games like Mario and Zelda. No one cares about the hardware (which they focused on for way too long). We just want to play cool grand sweeping Nintendo games.

Why don't they understand that?

Peltz

I once thought Nintendo had great art designers. And then...

DFgdvHN.gif

This is wrong and bad in pretty much every single way it can be wrong and bad.

I think it's supposed to look absurd and funny. I see what they're going for and kind of like it.

Betty

Banned

I mean they can release an unfinished product, demand above 299 dls/euro for it and the nintendo faithful will buy no matter what.

that gives them a couple of millions of juicy profits, they can try to reach for the more reluctant customers later in the year, that's exactly what they are going to (have to) do.

Worked out great for the Wii U.

It will definitely look more tempting this Holiday, it's just disappointing it's not an absolute MUST BUY DAY 1 right now.

sphinx

the piano man
For me, seeing Mario outside of a whimsical setting and operating alongside regular humans in a new york setting is almost vom-inducing. Something like this can only happen if the designers are up their own ass to an almost unbelievable degree.

Even if we table my deep disgust for the Mario game, the other bad points are a bit less subjective. The lineup is almost fucking nothing, and this is after they ignored Wii U for like two years. What have they been doing?

oh don't get me wrong, the presentation as a whole was as bad as it could have been.

SMO though, that was good, putting those weird humanoids you posted in that gif aside

DFgdvHN.gif

I find it hard to imagine a bad Mario game but even with Odyssey something really feels off. The trailer had me initially hyped but breaking it down and looking at each section specifically it does not look coherent at all, and this gif is just bizarre. The Mexican world was shown so quickly but if you go back and look it seems to consist of a few simple buildings with basic geography surrounding by a giant, empty, orange desert??

The Zelda trailer was basically flawless, that's the only positive thing I can see in the entire presentation, and I'm still not hyped for that game based on the gameplay footage I've seen which looks like a desolate open world game circa 2005.

hemo memo

Gold Member

DFgdvHN.gif

This is like Mario mod in GTA. Like what EatChildren said, city part is just terrible clash of art style.

Jobbs

Banned
I find it hard to imagine a bad Mario game but even with Odyssey something really feels off. The trailer had me initially hyped but breaking it down and looking at each section specifically it does not look coherent at all, and this gif is just bizarre.

The Zelda trailer was basically flawless, that's the only positive thing I can see in the entire presentation, and I'm still not hyped for that game based on the gameplay footage I've seen which looks like a desolate open world game circa 2005.

You need to establish a coherent art design for your game. What is it? How do things look? What colors are used? All of this needs to be decided at the outset and traditionally Nintendo has been pretty good at handling the Mario franchise when it comes to establishing an art style that works.

This game reminds me of one of those Unreal Engine 4 "look what I did!" Mario demos because both are just a bunch of shit thrown everywhere without anything to really pull it all together. Even the non-NYC levels looked bland and uncompelling. It harkens back to another era (The Dreamcast era!) where strong art design wasn't or couldn't be prioritized in most cases.

Oh and the UE4 demos look better

Number_6

I don't understand it. I love Nintendo for their games but why release another underpowered console with a gimmick that is ultimately unsupported, even by Nintendo themselves?

The inclusion of the gimmick means the hardware is underpowered, lacks decent storage. This drives away 3rd parties or at best they crap out some token, shallow shovel ware and once again we are at the mercy of Nintendo's prolonged development cycles.

Wouldn't it have been better to release an X86 based system with ~ps4 levels of performance and decent storage? That way the 3rd parties are on board and big 3rd party titles would come out day and date with the other platforms.

Parent's buying a console that plays the latest COD wouldn't then overlook Nintendo's platform because it would have the latest COD and the big selling point would be that it can also play Nintendo's games.

The Nintendo difference is their software, not some hardware gimmick that going by past experiences, is under utilised.

This. I am honestly flabbergasted and upset at the heavy focus on what is essentially Wiimote 3.0.

They should have kept it simple. Basic. Easy to understand. A console you can play on the go. Boom.

Now it's Wii all over again. Comes off as a pathetically desperate attempt to reboot that sorry fad. Only now their handheld teams are roped in too. This is worse, considering we've still seen very few games.

Well, that was fucking awful. From the weird Japanese style presentation to the lack of anything. Trying to emulate Iwata is all well and good but when you've got an old stone faced guy that clearly isn't fit for standing in front of mute crowds and people that look like they want to crawl up their own arse. The execution of it was fucking terrible, in a ruffle their little scam hair. So.

-Price £279, Not too bad to be honest. My initial guess was 299.
-Paid Online- fuck off Nintendo. If your current setup is anything to go by, it'll be the same old shite. Accounts not linked so you're purchasing the same old roms again, folks. No demonstration of the store or functionality.
-"I lead all Nintendo software"- All 2 fucking games? You're worst than Polyphony.
-Joycons can feel ice cubes. Great. Mini games that no-one outside the early adopters will play. Trying to get that Wii crowd is a fail I'm afraid.
-"Mario's unusual cap only available on switch"- Just great. Going the Sonic 06 route of pitting him in with 'normal' people. I wonder if he'll sex a human?
-100 quid for a pair of controllers. Fuuuuuuuuuck ooooooooooooooff.
-Zelda did look great. I'm getting real vibes of the original from this, almost as if they're remaking it.

All in all that's my pre-order cancelled. Terrible showcase. Switch off.

Nestunt

You know that's a recipe for disaster in any area of business, right?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
You need to establish a coherent art design for your game. What is it? How do things look? What colors are used? All of this needs to be decided at the outset and traditionally Nintendo has been pretty good at handling the Mario franchise when it comes to establishing an art style that works.

This demo reminds me of one of those Unreal Engine 4 "look what I did!" Mario demos because both are just a bunch of shit thrown everywhere without anything to really pull it all together. Even the non-NYC levels looked bland and uncompelling. It harkens back to another era (The Dreamcast era!) where strong art design wasn't or couldn't be prioritized in most cases.

Oh and the UE4 demos look better
IMO Mario looked absolutely revolting. We thought it was a preview for Crazy Taxi. Yikes.

Zelda looked really cool though. The conference as a whole was a clumsy mess, and the Aussie pricing is a disaster.

Kssio_Aug

Just read the Eurogamer article. Let me see if I got this right: 280 pounds, paid signature service to play online, 2.5 hours battery life, "free" games which comes down to Nes/Snes and only for 1 month.

What the hell Nintendo??

I'll keep my 3DS and wait it's true scuccessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom