• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch running Breath of The Wild on Jimmy Fallon

Kibbles

Watching the boulder scene in VLC with the 60 FPS capture and it seems to be 30... there are differences between game frames because of some weird artifacts in the video, but Link/enemies only really move every two frames.

(To use frame-by-frame in VLC, press E)
The dream is dead

I'm not seeing the 60fps in that as I'm framestepping in VLC. Easiest to see around the 2 minute mark during the explosion: Jimmy moves every frame, while the game is just blending two frames together, so really moving just every other frame.

Watching the boulder scene in VLC with the 60 FPS capture and it seems to be 30... there are differences between game frames because of some weird artifacts in the video, but Link/enemies only really move every two frames.

(To use frame-by-frame in VLC, press E)

That's a shame. Well at least we'll get a locked 30fps on the Switch.

FyreWulff

Reggie - "Anywhere that you see, you can get to"

Who are these guys Bungie?

They've literally been saying this since the first reveal of this Zelda. It was the whole dev point of the game.

Also that poor Bungie employee has been quoted out of context for ages now :lol

His overacting detracted from the demo - any other person would have wanted to show off the main gimmick of the console, instead he wasted time shield-surfing.

Hugely disagree.

They did show off the main gimmick of the console. Anyone watching could see that the Switch reveal trailer wasn't bullshit, and that it really is seamless to take your games off the big screen and put them on the mobile screen. This takes literally two seconds to show and doesn't need to be talked about with any depth on a late night talk show.

Instead, Switch gets to focus on cool game content. And that'a exactly what Nintendo needs to be relevant in the current age when there are so many game options to choose.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
30fps is expected. I'm just happy to not see frame-dips so far.

Hopefully some other graphical features got upgrades though

Luigiv

damn...that IS 60 fps

I counted 60 frames during a second

60 fucking fps Zelda

Hmm, you may be right, at least in parts. During the part at the beginning of the demo, when Reggie was panning the camera, went through frame by frame and each frame was unique.

I'll double check the part with the explosion and report back.

Edit: Yeah the explosion caused some slow down. Got a double exposure every second frame, suggesting around 45fps.

Edit 2: Or maybe on second thought it's all just 30fps. Hard to tell with my inadequate tools. Will wait for direct feed.

AmyS

Yeah I'm expecting a very solid 30fps on Switch, and average 20-25fps on Wii U.

I would never have expected 60fps, even on Switch.

With the new Nvidia chip I'd expect the lighting could be made to be better, the effects ramped up and texture resolution to be improved. These are things Nintendo would be more willing to invest in, than 60fps.

BTW, Ocarina of Time on Nintendo 64 was about 20 frames per second in 1998.
The 3DS remake upped that to 30fps.

Portugeezer

The game is 30fps, if you count the frames on the 60fps video you can see it repeats every other frame whilst Jimmy and Reggie have unique frames.

Huge missed opportunity to not start with showing off the nes classic. I swear Nintendo just does some stuff flawlessly, and then completely fumbles the next.

Since we have a release date confirmed for Switch, does that mean pre-orders have begun?

HylianTom

Banned
Please Nintendo just let me pre-order the Switch...
I've taken the 12th and 13th off just for this.

In 2012, Wii U preorders opened as soon as the info event closed. If this time is anything like last time, stores will start taking preorders soon after this event is over.

I just wish Nintendo would tell us what time the event is here in the US. If it's too late on the 12th, we could see preordering open at the start of business on the 13th.

It looked like 30 fps, but at least it was consistent. I expect some small improvements like a consistent 30 fps, better draw distance and resolution. Nothing out of this world. The game already looks and feels great.

Plum

Huge missed opportunity to not start with showing off the nes classic. I swear Nintendo just does some stuff flawlessly, and then completely fumbles the next.

Wait what? The NES Classic is already out, why would they focus a most likely multi-million dollar TV spot on it when they've got a massive mobile game and a brand new console coming out?

Since we have a release date confirmed for Switch, does that mean pre-orders have begun?

"In stores now! Uh...no because we can't meet demand... $200 on Craigslist!"

galvatron

I've never actually believed Jimmy Fallon took a genuine interest in modern games until now.

The dude knew more about the new Zelda than I did. Never seen him just lose it like that...

Really good exposure for Nintendo..

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Brilliant showing from Nintendo, such an improvement from the WiiU days. I never expected 60fps for Zelda on Switch, as long as it's 1080p on a home HDTV with a solid 30fps I'll take the WiiU visuals.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm more concerned about resolution than framerate it *looked* smooth enough already. But does it run in 1080p on the switch? Someone count the pixels

If it is in fact USB then that's good news; all the power banks people bought for Pokemon Go can be used with Switch.

Thats actually what im going to do. Even then, ive been using my power charge during trips so I can make photos with my phone without being afraid of the battery and its been amazing, suoer happy im going to be able to ise ut with the switch also.
Seems pokemon go did soemthing right at the end.

Hugely disagree.

They did show off the main gimmick of the console. Anyone watching could see that the Switch reveal trailer wasn't bullshit, and that it really is seamless to take your games off the big screen and put them on the mobile screen. This takes literally two seconds to show and doesn't need to be talked about with any depth on a late night talk show.

Instead, Switch gets to focus on cool game content. And that'a exactly what Nintendo needs to be relevant in the current age when there are so many game options to choose.

I was genuinely surprised to see how genuine Fallon's excitement was! Reggie had his planned PR statements ready, and Jimmy was asking questions about detaching the controllers and the kickstand. It reminded me of conventions where someone wants to give a guided demo on a game you've already seen.

Reggie - "Now you can see these enemies over here, let's go fight them"
Fallon - "THIS IS HOW I SURF ON MY SHIELD RIGHT?"

Reggie - "The main draw of the Switch is playing it anywhere"
Fallon - "WHERE THE KICKSTAND? I CAN DETACH THESE CONTROLLERS AND PLAY TWO PLAYER"

Xhaner5

Neo Member
CLUE:

Reggie strategically kept attention away from the dock ... immediately addressing that everything for basic play is in the handheld, exactly the kinda thing you'd do if there's something more in the dock but want to keep it as a surpirse reveal for later.

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Shahadan

CLUE:

Reggie strategically kept attention away from the dock ... which is exacly why there's something more in the dock but want to keep it as a surpirse reveal for later.

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!

Yeah it looks like he had to remember to dodge that one so as far as I'm concerned there is definitely something in the dock

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Amazing stuff. And Fallon knows all about it too. He was gushing over Zelda, he was playing really well on Super Mario Run. This was a fantastic surprise reveal. Can't wait for the details on January 12 and the actual release in March!

I LOVED Fallon's excitement.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Just the fact that's its smoothly running a game that had performance issue on the Wii U is already encouraging.

Top Bottom