• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch uses Cartridges

RoadHazard

Gold Member
...how big do you think current-gen games are?

There's a bunch of recent games that are pushing 40-50 gigs.

And then more than that with patches and content updates installed. Which wouldn't affect the game cards of course, but where do we store that stuff if this thing had no HDD but just a small-ish flash memory? Like I said, full-fledged current-gen ports seem unlikely on the Switch. Which I guess they are anyway due to the low performance it's bound to have compared even to the XBO.

MacTag

Banned
If it ends up being 16GB, Nintendo are locking themselves out of getting ports of games that require BD-sized storage. It's the N64 all over again, in that regard. But we'll see.
The rumors have said 32GB or 16-32GB. No rumor has stated 16GB max.

DrNeroCF

There's a bunch of recent games that are pushing 40-50 gigs.

Wasn't it because of uncompressed audio in every language and / or uncompressed textures? The only reason they're that big is because they can be. I'm sure Nintendo / Nvidia has compression in mind.

And then more than that with patches and content updates installed. Which wouldn't affect the game cards of course, but where do we store that stuff if this thing had no HDD but just a small-ish flash memory? Like I said, full-fledged current-gen ports seem unlikely on the Switch. Which I guess they are anyway due to the low performance it's bound to have compared even to the XBO.

360 patches used to be limited to what, 5 megs? It would analyze and only send the differences, through. I have no idea what the hell devs are actually sending to the console, why would you require the player to redownload a ton of assets for a patch that doesn't add content? Companies are just taking broadband and cheap storage for granted nowadays, which, in my opinion, is incredibly disrespectful to players.

tuxfool

Banned
Nintendo won't use flash, they'll use a customized high speed gaming xtra rom solution from Macronix. Just like 3DS does, only on a newer/smaller node to for higher capacities (16-32GB rumored). Generally rom is cheaper and faster than flash. DS and 3DS did keep small flash pools for game saves on the card but I suspect Switch will do away with this to cut costs and simply move saves to device/expanded memory like other home consoles.

Interesting. Do you have any idea on what the read speeds are like on that ROM?

​​​​ Gaming Machine XtraROM®
This device, while maintaining the same checksum of the content during lifetime of gaming machines, is widely used in Pachinko and PachinSlot for video/audio, and code storage. It features 32 I/O for fast speed, 70-SSOP package, and up to 32Gb in density.

Their site lists this. However the 32 I/O suggests a parallel interface, meaning that it also needs a controller to make it show up as a block device and convert it into a serial bus, though I suppose they may offer a custom package that integrates both memory and controller on the same die.

RM8

So as a (mostly) PC and Nintendo player, I'm done forever with disc drives, right? This is fantastic.

There's a difference between using an open format like a Blu-Ray or SD and using some wasteful exclusive garbage like a Vita Card.

I would hardly call the Blu-ray Disc format "open" but it is probably easier to get a license to produce Blu-rays than it is to develop for and order Nintendo Switch or 3DS Game Cards, I guess?

What's so wasteful about them? It's not like you can erase the contents of an unwanted Xbox One game Blu-ray and repurpose the disc. I guess the cart's PCBs might be a little harder to recycle... maybe?

I think this will be the pricing scheme

I'm betting price will be

249-299- Screen and attachments for controls

349-399- Full bundle including docking station

Pro Controllers and additional controllers sold separately between 39.99 and 59.99

Games 59.99 ? Cartridge though so maybe 49.99 IDK

Let's see how this plays out
I think they're gonna have to charge $60 since they're combining their handheldd and console business.

Today's game cartridges/cards are far superior to discs in almost every detail.

+More durable; Much harder to scratch and break

On this point, I gave a spare blu-ray to my Two year old. Three months of playing frisbee with it, it was a bit dirty, but no major scratches (or any really) and once cleaned played fine. I was actually pretty impressed.

Adam_802

Serious question, will using cartridges discourage 3rd party devs in any way? How much can you fit on one of those cartridges as opposed to a blu-ray disc? Will the Switch version of 3rd party games have to be 'gimped' in any way to fit, and/or will 3rd party devs choose not to support it perhaps?

Yagharek

There are flash drives out there with more space than XBone discs

Exactly. Weren't there 1TB SDXC (?) capacity cards unveiled not that long ago?

Theyre probably not far from being cheaper than a Vita 64GB card once they become more widely produced. (I realise they are expensive now)

Type_Raver

Carts/SD cards have faster transfer speeds than optical, meet and exceed optical storage capacity and theres no need to intsall a game to a hdd since the cards tx speeds are greater than optic.

Only hope there is write capacity on the carts for updates and DLC, otherwise then you will only need a hdd.

Edit:

In addition, if games are to be played on the go then you will need space on the handheld unit itself for dlc and updates. So either writable space on the game cart, or an sd card slot for this content.
Otherwise hotswapping from docked to Go mode wont work if the dlc/updates are on a local hdd in/plugged in the dock only.

99Luffy

Banned
There are flash drives out there with more space than XBone discs
What sizes it can support doesnt matter. Its the sizes that developers are willing to pay for. iirc the 3DS could support 8GB games but the vast majority of games were ~1GB or less because thats all developers had the budget for.

I don't see how cartridges can be cost effective at all. How much do they pay per Blu-ray disk, a dollar?

I myself miss the old cartridges but because of the ratio of size/cost per GB that has to be passed onto the consumer one way or another. Unless there is some magical way to compress a 40GB game down substantially to a cartridge. Don't Blu-ray disks get bloated in size because of how the data needs to be accessed?

shira

Serious question, will using cartridges discourage 3rd party devs in any way? How much can you fit on one of those cartridges as opposed to a blu-ray disc? Will the Switch version of 3rd party games have to be 'gimped' in any way to fit, and/or will 3rd party devs choose not to support it perhaps?

It's unknown how patches will work.
If you have a 1GB patch will that patch be on the Switch memory or the cartridge.

Also cartridges cost more. Nintendo takes a cut.

Switches will probably have shit for storage (Maybe you can use SD card) so if you have a big game cartridges are probably the main solution.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I don't see how cartridges can be cost effective at all. How much do they pay per Blu-ray disk, a dollar?

I myself miss the old cartridges but because of the ratio of size/cost per GB that has to be passed onto the consumer one way or another. Unless there is some magical way to compress a 40GB game down substantially to a cartridge. Don't Blu-ray disks get bloated in size because of how the data needs to be accessed?

Optical media and portable systems don't really get along though...it's not like they had a choice here.

t26

It's unknown how patches will work.
If you have a 1GB patch will that patch be on the Switch memory or the cartridge.

Also cartridges cost more. Nintendo takes a cut.

Switches will probably have shit for storage (Maybe you can use SD card) so if you have a big game cartridges are probably the main solution.

Patch will use system, having that much rewritable space on a cart will drive up the cost by a lot.

Seil

I don't mind too much eitherway though this does mean the game cases will be much smaller and more can be displayed on a shelf.

Let this be a third generation of cases with the DS case dimensions. Doesn't work as well for home console people but would look fantastic for us primarily portable ones =p

jdstorm

Banned
When the Cart rumour first dropped a gaffer pointed out that using carts over Disks would save greatly on packaging and transport costs.

That will help keeping the profit margains high. It will obviously cost more then bluray but not unreasonably more.

Its also worth noting that samsung has 512GB SD cards with SSD read/ write speeds. They are far too pricy for the regular consumer. However for the wealthy customer they are just as good as having a full sise SSD.

What sizes it can support doesnt matter. Its the sizes that developers are willing to pay for. iirc the 3DS could support 8GB games but the vast majority of games were ~1GB or less because thats all developers had the budget for.

Or maybe games were small because it was a 400x240 screen and assets, which take up the most space, could fit in around 1GB. I very much doubt it had much to do with budget.

JoeM86

Also because it's all the developers needed...

Asd202

how much are 32gb SD anyways, why not use them

If I have to guess it's because Nintendo will take part in the game cards manufacturing process and will take a cut from that on top of the usual "game on our console" license cut, Nintendo having good time. Also there's no way the games are going to cost lower than $60 outside of the smaller AA market which almost doesn't exist anymore and Indie.

Ovek

7Member7
It's cool and all having carts back in a home -first- console and but I do wonder if the "dock" has a cart slot for easy swapping... It would be pain in the fucking ass if you have to fiddle with the cart cover flap eject the cart (I'm assuming you eject it like sd cards) on the "tablet" in its dock just to swap games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
It's cool and all having carts back in a home -first- console and but I do wonder if the "dock" has a cart slot for easy swapping... It would be pain in the fucking ass if you have to fiddle with the cart cover flap eject the cart (I'm assuming you eject it like sd cards) on the "tablet" in its dock just to swap games.

I haven't look closely at the released pictures yet but if they're smary it should be on the top of the console to make it accessible.

Anyway. The only downside I see is that carts seems to requre longer leadtime and possibly more upfront cost for devs, making restock of high selling games more difficult.

JoeM86

I haven't look closely at the released pictures yet but if they're smary it should be on the top of the console to make it accessible.

Anyway. The only downside I see is that carts seems to requre longer leadtime and possibly more upfront cost for devs, making restock of high selling games more difficult.

When the rumour came, didn't someone calculate that the cost increase is actually negligible?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well that's why VII remake is targeting western market with trailers from the get go.
That's true, the FF games also tends to sell the lions share in japan, FF13 sold 2 milion there, wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to expand that userbase in anyway they can.

Top Bottom