• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch uses Cartridges

ika

Not really you think SQ is satisfied with the small dying Japanese console market

He means it'll be ironic to see FFVIIR in a "cartridge" when the reason (one of them but most important one) we didn't see FFVII in N64 was because of the cartridges...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He means it'll be ironic to see FFVIIR in a "cartridge" when the reason (one of them but most important one) we didn't see FFVII in N64 was because of the cartridges...
Well in this case we wouldn't be seeing FF VII completely in one cartridge either, the marketing was right in the enf but we've cut it down to 3 now, my how technology has progressed!

mhayze

I haven't look closely at the released pictures yet but if they're smary it should be on the top of the console to make it accessible.

Anyway. The only downside I see is that carts seems to requre longer leadtime and possibly more upfront cost for devs, making restock of high selling games more difficult.

I think that if the carts are read-only (other than the space to save games), then patches would be my biggest question / potential downside, in addition to cost. It has been a while, I think, since a home console had non-patchable games. In particular, will 3rd parties be OK with not being able to patch their games? It could lead to multi-month delays for the switch version of cross-platform games. Of course the 3DS has this scenario now, so I guess it will just scale to home platform games as well, but I'm having a hard time imagining certain game types being OK with no patches ever, if this is truly to be a home console that you can take on the go (as opposed to a new 3DS that plugs into a TV.)

Nintendo themselves take their time to test their games to the nth degree, and I think they will be OK, 3rd parties, less so.

13ruce

Banned
Would it be possible for updates to be saved on the game cards themselves if Nintendo reserves space for that on them or not? I ask this because i'm not that tech savvy.

Luigi87

You're right - I forgot reading the whole thread was a requirement before commenting.
Usually helps before you start shit posting others.

Anywho in spite of this system using this media, I do wonders what capacity for external storage the Switch will offer, specifically if I've wants to go digital download only.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but the cartridge labels face you when you put them in. I absolutely LOVE that!! They normally didn't face you. You look at the device and you see the label as you're putting the game in like in the old days.

t26

Would it be possible for updates to be saved on the game cards themselves if Nintendo reserves space for that on them or not? I ask this because i'm not that tech savvy.

Possible? Yes. Likely? No, as it would drive up the cost per copy.

foltzie1

Curious to see cost per unit to manufacture, lead time, minimum batch size, and amount of rewritable space on the cards.

They do that on vita too.

Huh, they do! I had to grab my vita from the dust to check. I love it!

I'd love for people to articulate what about discs "sucks."

I agree with you. They don't suck, they're just obsolete for gaming as a physical media. Flash media is now cheaper and manufacturing a simple slot costs next to nothing, compared to $20-50 for a optical drive. If the Switch sells VERY well, then publishers won't have a problem for cartridge manufacturing costs. If it's a problem, then you could always put it up as digital only. They just want their games to sell.

Bowl0l

Unless there is some magical way to compress a 40GB game down substantially to a cartridge.
They can try this: The cart will only contain the key to activate the game while the rest is downloaded to the internal storage with the convenient excuse: A big day one patch and no one can actually check the cart content.

leroidys

2016/2017

CDs and Discs suck, are old

Cartridges? Hell yeah, love em
Disc drives add a lot of cost.

They take up a lot of space.

They break sooner than other components.

Discs can break or be scratched.

Disc rot is a real thing.

Slower access.

No space to save patches or save data.

There are benefits, but they are mainly for the manufacturer.

Kyrios

First post in this thread so I don't know if it was already said:

I'm actually looking forward to cartridges, as someone who buys a good amount of games, this really helps with storage space lol Just keep them all in a storage pack thing.

wrowa

PSY・S;221137113 said:
they're large, the drives take up a lot of space and are noisy, they can scratch, they can rot, they can snap
On the flip side, I always worry about losing my Vita games, because those cards are just so damn tiny.

Harlock

I am curious if they going to use the same DVD box size or 3DS box size. Don´t know if the perception of the average consumer will see less value because the box size.

wrowa

I am curious if they going to use the same DVD box size or 3DS box size. Don´t know if the perception of the average consumer will see less value because the box size.

Doubt it'll be either of them. They'll use a new format to emphasize that this is supposed to be a new thing and not just another DS or Wii.

Kevin

Cartridges make a lot more sense then optical discs in my opinion and I think this is the best decision.

I prefer carts for these reasons:

-Small size
-More durable
-I prefer physical media
-Simple and usually fast loading
-We all know the Switch will have very little space for full game downloads which will be large.

Discs are comparatively brittle and degrade in a terrible way. They occupy more space and require bulkier packaging. Unlike cards, they cannot store data or do any other interesting things.

Disc drives are bulky, noisy, and contain mechanical/optical parts that fail over time. Disc based consoles, particularly PlayStations, have been notoriously prone to laser failures. On top of this, a typical disc drive is several orders of magnitude slower at random access than solid-state storage. Lastly, the mechanical nature of disc drives mean that they are sensitive to physical shock and, as such, are generally a bad idea for anything portable.

This is the Wii U:

DSC_9030.jpg

Look at the size of the disc drive assembly.

Krejlooc

Banned
Discs are comparatively brittle and degrade in a terrible way.

I hate that the average layman stumbled upon the term disc rot, because they bring it up excessively when it's a minuscule problem. Especially for professionally mastered CDs. Disc Rot is primarily a problem for burned discs.

Especially since every storage medium is subject to data rot, especially NAND memory.

FyreWulff

My main problem with discs is that you can't do anything with them. The format is fixed on ship.

With cartridges or cards, you only have to match pins, and you can do anything after that on your side. So it allows stuff like IR carts, or Boktai's light sensor, etc.

Of course, this also requires you to design pins that can generically send/receive data. If they're all dedicated to data throughput then you're screwed.

The upside to discs is you can print multiples and they don't cost much more or take up that much extra shipping space in the box.

Battlechili

Banned
Game cartridges are wonderful. They load faster and are better for portability and can hold more space.

Plus something tells me these will be easier to find at thrift stores and yard sales several years from now just like how GB and GBA games did too, since they survive easier out of box than discs do.

People really are overstating the "negatives" of discs to sell the idea that game cards are "superior." That being said, it works out well for Nintendo's new device.

Now that we've long since left the era of DVD and are a decade into Blu-ray territory, discs are fine by me. Game cards were definitely the right call for Nintendo with this device though.

Glass Joe

Pressing a Blu-ray disc only costs a fraction of what a card will cost. Just checking amazon the cheapest 50pk BD-R spindle is like $20. SD cards aren't EXPENSIVE these days, but they are by comparison (32 gig for like $10, 64gig for $20). Sure, these are retail prices, but the multiplier between the two costs in manufacturing them is probably accurate.

In our current days of downloadable games and Day 1 patches that at times are massive, I *wonder* at the possibility of some 3rd parties just selling an unlock code on the smallest card possible with the expectation that you're downloading the actual game at home.

antibolo

Banned
The Switch is (mostly) a portable console so discs were out of the question to begin with (no, nobody is going to make another UMD-like format in 2016, optical media on a portable system is an awful idea for many reasons).

leroidys

I don't really understand the persistence of this complaint since the advent of the PS3. When people talk about the demerits of discs, it's like we're suddenly back in the PS2 era.

My Smash Wii U has constant disk read errors and some word looking warping or hairline cracks. All my PS2 games still work fine. So it's still an issue.

leroidys

I hate that the average layman stumbled upon the term disc rot, because they bring it up excessively when it's a minuscule problem. Especially for professionally mastered CDs. Disc Rot is primarily a problem for burned discs.

Especially since every storage medium is subject to data rot, especially NAND memory.
NAND vs EEPROM tho.

Red Devil

We would've came full cycle if it happened.

I dont like the color, im gonna miss the Gray 3DS cartridges ( though they need a change, something not Black)

Eh, we'll see what they do with that maybe some games will have different colored cards like in older consoles. Like a golden one for BotW.

b3b0p

Moving parts.

My original launch day NES, SNES, and N64 still work today and have taken a beating. My original Playstation, Playstation 2, and Playstation 3 all died with in a few years from disc drives wearing out or the lens not reading discs correctly and feel fragile, like eggs.

It's ironic only if you assume that the reason for FFVII appearing on PlayStation continues to be the case in this day, which it isn't. Cartridges now aren't as expensive, and provide a lot more space than measly megabytes in the 90s.

Easy.

1) Disc drive (moving parts = prone to breaking)
2) Discs requiring loading times because no internal technology
3) Durability favours cartridges over discs (no scratches)
4) No need to download games from discs to "shorten" load times (which is something I find incredibly stupid)

MisterHero

I want to see a console-style GTA game on Switch just to see if the initial loading time is faster than a disc w/ or w/o install.

It could be hilarious and worth it PLS I WANT TO CONTINUE MY GTAO GARAGES

Top Bottom