• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Uses Friend Codes To Add Friends as primary method, others detailed

Magwik

Banned
So lemme get this straight.
Friend codes only go one way, and after that you both see a display name that you can change freely?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yikes lol! Just when I was starting to come around on the Switch.

Arjayes

Banned
lol this brag

EC82QD6.gif

Cryxok

So lemme get this straight.
Friend codes only go one way, and after that you both see a display name that you can change freely?

That's what I got from this thread, yes. Also, actual account name is private, probably for safety reasons.
Overall, I don't think it's that bad. A bit unconvenient, yes, but hardly a deal breaker for me.

RikuDawn

I mean I don't see it as the worst thing ever if it's just a one way thing. Being able to just dump my friend code somewhere and let the requests come in instead of having to have someone message me back their friend code so I can add them too is pretty nice. But it's a pretty fucking stupid system to have in the first place especially when the Wii U didn't use them.

Kyuur

The username makes the most sense and is easier to remember/communicate. Stop defending Nintendo, this choice makes NO sense. EVERY OTHER GAMING PLATFORM CURRENTLY IN EXISTENCE DOES NOT HAVE TO USE THIS BULLSHIT AND HAS USED USERNAMES FOR OVER A DECADE.

pG4tbaM.png

Oh noes friend code or third party service to play Overwatch with someone.

Granted the email address isn't exactly parallel to FB/Twitter, given that you don't need to be friended on your email service, and the friendcode is shorter and more readable by being combined with the display name. People need to stop painting Nintendo as the only one using this approach when plenty of other services do it -- it is the modern approach to friend systems, usernames are the old de-facto one that don't tend to let you easily switch display names.

Not to say the system as Nintendo has implemented it is perfect, but such reactions are a little hyperbolic.

Maedhros

pG4tbaM.png

Granted the email address isn't exactly parallel to FB/Twitter, given that you don't need to be friended on your email service, and the friendcode is shorter and more readable by being combined with the display name. People need to stop painting Nintendo as the only one using this approach when plenty of other services do it -- it is the modern approach to friend systems, usernames are the old de-facto one that don't tend to let you easily switch display names.

Not to say the system is perfect, but such reactions are a little hyperbolic.
THE FUCK dude?

Let me just say you're totally wrong.

lenovox1

So you don't have to swap, though? Is that confirmed?

That's in the OP. There's no swap involved. You share and then accept a friend request or put in someone's code and wait for them to accept your request.

It's basically more convoluted because they're introducing a unique 12 digit code to a normal friend request process.

If you want to add a friend, you have to transfer their Mii to a Tamagotchi, and then keep it alive until you can get it back to your Switch.

pG4tbaM.png

Lmao are you really trying to say that the friend code from Nintendo is the same thing than my nickname + 4 numbers ?

conpfreak

I take it this is for security purposes. Which I don't mind for a online gaming service.

Also, literally no one else complains of this besides a small subset of gamers on internet forums and blogs and that's only because it's not like the other online gaming services. I see some of my more casual friends sharing their friend code for their 3DS all the time with no issue. They accept it as a unique Nintendo thing, like a BBM PIN or something.

pG4tbaM.png

It's a lot easier to remember a user name and four digits than it is to remember 12 randomly generated numbers(?).

Timeaisis

That's in the OP. There's no swap involved. You share and then accept a friend request or put in someone's code and wait for them to accept your request.

It's basically more convoluted because they're introducing a unique 12 digit code to a normal friend request process.

Hmmm...so essentially you are putting in their code to find them instead of their username. Well, that's dumb.

At least you don't have to swap like wii days, though. Here's hoping they are going to put regular username lookup in sometime.

Magwik

Banned
That's what I got from this thread, yes. Also, actual account name is private, probably for safety reasons.
Overall, I don't think it's that bad. A bit unconvenient, yes, but hardly a deal breaker for me.

Yes and you can add via Facebook or Twitter too.

Well thats a small inconvenience, but being able to freely change my display name already puts it ahead of PSN.

Arjayes

Banned
what a weird post...<insert picture of my car here>
Haha! Well, my birthday just passed and this was actually a Facebook post saying "thanks for the birthday wishes, I bought a bike and a Switch". I just used the same picture instead of taking a new one. &#128517;

But really, for people in different time zones, is someone gonna make a thread?

its one way only so its not bad imo, pretty good. Sure there are better ways to do it but i mean at least they allow you to change your ign(FOR FREE!!) unlike sony and micro

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
It's a lot easier to remember a user name and four digits than it is to remember 12 randomly generated numbers(?).
You still would have to look up the username and thee 4 digits if you wanna add someone, unless you can remember all of your friend names... There isn't a big difference.

lenovox1

It is. That's probably the intent, but it does make things more convoluted.

But if you're adding a NeoGAF friend, you'll be looking at your computer or phone screen. You won't actually have to remember anything.

Let's take this approach:

When have you had to memorize someone's username for an online service without the resource of your phone or computer screen?

Were they your Facebook friends?

Did you recently play with them online?

ZeoVGM

Banned
The only difference is, that you have to type in a number. The username is mostly never the same as the display name, which can be any name the user wants. Yes, it would be nice to have the option,but the difference is just random numbers instead of a word, which could be as abstract. Nothing else.

The difference makes it more difficult than it needs to be. It's needless. There's no reason for it.

There is a system that works better already. Nintendo made the conscious decision to make it a bit more difficult.

Is it the end of the world? Nope, I'm getting my Switch at midnight. But as I said, there is no defense for this decision. None.

Top Bottom